WAS Equalizer Board
Smart Parts LPR
Empire 7-Piece Barrel Kit
ND Pro-Mag Trigger
ND Equalizer Bolt
ND Ti Bolt Pin
ND Ball Detents
LPR - Always a good choice. With this you are able to adjust your bolt pressure so you can get better efficiency, less chops, and more ways to setup your marker. You can find good ones for around $70
Delrin Bolt/Ti Bolt Pin - If you leave the stock one in there for too long then it can scratch up the inside of the body. Also with the Ti pin it is a lot lighter than the stock setup, resulting in less air to move it, which in turn give better efficiency.
Feedneck - I don't care who you are, you are probably going to need a new feedneck at some point in time. The stock one is insanely tall and it isn't very strong. Look into clamping feednecks
Trigger - The stock trigger is crap. Period. You'll at least need a blade or maybe even a magnetic trigger if you really wanna rip on this baby.
Detents - Some people have this problem and some people don't. In my case, I use a Halo and it was just pushing the paint right through the stock detents. If you don't have a Halo, then don't worry about replacing these. If you find these do need replacing, get the ND detents.
Fast Hopper - You will need AT LEAST a Y-Boarded Evo2 to keep up with this thing. Especially if you have a new trigger/frame, look into a force-fed hopper.
Equalizer board - This is by far the best upgrade you can buy for your Impulse. No chops, best eye logic for the Impulse, more features than any other board, etc. If you have a non-Vision Impulse definitely check this product out.
See Review Body
See Review Body
Simplicity - Wow, what a great design for a marker. A nice simplistic design so that anyone and there grandmother can understand it.
Price - Only $500 for an Impulse with a Vertical Max-Flow, Smart Parts LPR, ND Pro-Mag Trigger, and Impulse Stickies? Now thats a deal. Best place to buy them would be www.ratpb.com. Better known as E-paintball Outlet (EPBO). You find stock, colored Impulses for as little as $425
Upgradeable - Hundreds of parts you can throw on this puppy. The best ones are made by New Designz (ND or NDz for short). Over 10 bolts to choose from, 4 trigger frames, 5+ LPR's, etc.
Accuracy - Surprisingly accurate with the stock Progressive on there. With a higher end barrel it can be dead-on accurate.
Board - The Cricket board without Vision is capped at 13.7 bps. Now this may sound like a lot to some new players, but when you really want to start shooting fast and you have to fill up those lanes, that cap is VERY annoying.
Height - This isn't a big problem with a new feedneck, but with the stock feedneck it is. If you buy a Low/No Rise then this won't be a big deal.
I agree when Smart Parts said this is the best open bolt electropneumatic semi-auto for under $500. If you want a solid performer with unlimited ways to customize it and a reliable marker all in one, get the Impulse. I'll give this a 9 simply because of the small problems it has.
9 out of 10
Last edited on Friday, October 22nd, 2004 at 4:13 pm PST
quote:Originally posted by toothpastedog nice review!
I absolutely agree! I own an upgraded Tippmann 98 Custom. By March 2004, I would have it for 2 years. By that time, I am considering purchasing a new marker. I was having trouble deciding whether or not to get a Smart Parts Impulse or a W.G.P. Vertical Feed autococker, but I am leaning towards the Impulse. 75% of my thinking is leaning towards the Impulse, while the other 25% is on the Vertical Feed autococker's side.
hey. i just want to say thanks for putting the ratpb.com in your review. i just got my impy from there. it is the shiznit. thanks for the good advice. my email is firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to reply. anyway thanks dude!!!!!!!!!
quote:Originally posted by wombizle is an impulse better than an ion
I have an ion as my backup, and have shot an impulse before and I definatly say the ions the better value. I mean the gun is $200 now and you can even get it for cheaper if you look. It is very upgradable and attractive (in my opinion). It definatly needs a new barrel though and its gas effiecency is a little bad. But this gun rips for the price. And don't tell me you can shoot 23bps or some crazy speed on semi because its a lie. and its light, small and comfortable.
On to the Impulse. Right away I noticed the size of this thing. I mean its terribly big. Its weight is not too bad but it's definatly not the lightest. Also the gun is not very attractive to me but make your own desicion about that. The barrel is fine but You may want to upgrade. shoots well and is very fast. The trigger is simply terrrible. Get a blade if you purchase it. The stock trig is horrible its like a cheap spyder trigger.