paintball

  Join pbreview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

  
Home     |      Paintball Articles     |      Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
pbReview.com / Comments on X7 Assassin's Review / Comments on X7 Assassin's Review / Comments on X7 Assassin's Review / Comments on X7 Assassin's Review / Comments on X7 Assassin's Review

Comments on X7 Assassin's Review

Jump to the Comments  |  Post a Comment  |  Dispute this Review  |  Return to the Reviews

X7 Assassin Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007
Period of
Product Use:
3 years111 of 122 people found this review helpful.

Paintball
Experience:
3 years
Similar
Products Used:
My first marker in a decade.
Marker Setup: X7
Remote Coil
Red Dot Site
JJ Ceramic Elite Edge Kit
68ci/4500
Recommended
Upgrades:
New barrell
Go remote for weight
Maybe a stock?
Strengths: Looks!
Weight - see review
EH Cyclone feed
Durable
Upgrades availible
Weaknesses: None yet... If I was being picky, I guess the price and weight.
Review: Ok, if you read above you'll see that I am what you guys call a "newbie". All though my knowledge is limited, I also have an un-bias opinion that does not swing towards woodsball or tournament ball. I will however say, I am an older (32) male, and I went out on the market to find an paintball gun to play in the woods with some buddies and neighbors and that would withstand the abuse of hard pLAY. I looked for weeks online, and first off it is SO Difficult to find a un-bias opinion out there. Tourney guy hates woods guy and vise versa. Two different sports, two different players, and two STRONGLY different opinions. So just because this marker isn't as nice and as shinny as an electtric Angel, lets not post such strongly negative remarks towards it. There is no way this gun deserves a 1.
After using the marker a few times now, I got to say this is a very fine marker. It worked great on a sunny, mid 90's day in Houston. It serves its purpose in life... as a STRONG out of the BOX, Mil-Slim style, reliable, durable, fast shooting (with e-grip) marker. I'll try to rate the gun by category:

WEIGHT:
It is allttle heavy when holding the smaller markers such as the Spyder, Mini and even 98c. But they are smaller. When you consider the the size of the marker and that is comes with a magazine, front grip shroud, front site and rear site, cyclone feed and rails, it is light in comparison. The magnesium alloy used does make a difference, and it does give it a really sturdy feel. Love it. I give the weight a 10. There is nothing they could have done to make it lighter, but stripped it down. But strip it down and you have an A5. Again a 10.

ACCURACY:
I took it out of the box. Walked down to the end of the street with a few neighbors with there markers and after market barrells. Again, in comparison to them, it held its own. It was wicked accurate from about 25 feet. That is close, I know. I use a red dot site, and the paint ball hit dead on from that 25' range. When you shoot alittle further, the paint ball drops below the red dot s site, but is still in line. If you move out to 50 feet on, well the accuracy is no longer great nut its still really good. I read the reviews on the A5 barrell, and this I was told is the same barrell, and the A5 barrell didn't get rave reviews, But this one hits what you are aiming at from about 50 feet. Now when you go outside 75 to 100 feet, the accuracy suffers with the stock barrel. I did buy a JJ Ceramic Elite Edge Barrel Kit. This kit is amazing the X7 marker. And this has nothing to do with the gun, other than the ability to mount it. But you got to go out and get a red dot site. I took quick aim and accurate shots. Never, I mean never pop your head out the same place twice. One shot, One kill happened allot. No more walking your shot into your taget, just aim and shoot (when up close) and they are out. You'll here the opposing team scream to each other, "watch out, the sniper guy is over their somewhere" as I did. I would have to score the accuracy a 8 of a possible 10.

LOOKS:
Nothing looks better. In eyes of the beholder i guess. I would give it a 10, but this is totally subjective, so I will not account for this in my rating.... Wait a minute. I purchased the gun because of the looks. Looks is a factor in almost every aspect of life and this includes paintball. Just look at the aftermarket industry and the mods out there to make you marker look more Mil-Sim... Out of the box this gun looks great. The X7 started a trend that you see allot of other companies following suit again. They want realism and Mil-Sim. X7 started it. I will include it in the final rating and as mentioned before, I have to give it a 10.

UPGRADES:
If you seen Tippmans website, you then know it has tons of upgrades. What else..10

ACCESSORIES:
Mag - This marker has a built in storage in the shape of a magazine clip. Not exactly a great idea, but is innovative to say the least. The mag does fill alittle flimsy when extracted and opened. Not an issue since when it is in the gun, it feels as sturdy as the rest of the gun. time will tell.
Air thru Stock option - There is a feature for a Air Thru Stock option. From what i read it is another industry first. And when you see pictures of others markers with stocks and remote coils, you understand the reason behind their thinking. Very nice option.
Offset Hopper - Another great option is the offset hopper. I allows room to install a red dot or scope directly on top of your marker without and offset rail. I have a 1x30mm red dot, I looked at the 42mm but it may be too big to install directly on top with the hopper right next to it. The 30mm is aleady touching the hopper.
Adjustable sites - Also the stock sites on the X7 are adjustable. They seem to be pretty adequate as well.
4 rails - I comes the rails on the top both sides and bottom. I installed a grip on the bottom shroud rail. and for night games, I mount a Tac Light. It is nice to have to option to do what ever the hell I want. X7 started this, now your seeing allot of other companies follow suit.
Safety - the safety is a switch rather than the typical button, which really adds to the mil-sim look.
That about does the option and accessories of the stock X7. As you can see, plenty to see. I got to give this section a 9 out of 10. I would have loved to see some type of expansion chamber as the Magazine Clip. I hate to add one and ruin the looks. 9

I have to say, this marker loves air. I have a 68/4500. tank and I would refill it after two hoppers, about 800-1000+ balls. When I used CO2, the guy behind the counter got to know me pretty well. I didn't know this, but maybe you A5 owners do, when the air is low, not out but just low, the Cyclone Feed System shuts down completely. I had to finish one game by using the Manual Advance Lever on the side. This acts as a pump in a since and each pump loads a single shot. I got hammered that game. Is there a air gauge you can put on there to tell when it is running low??


Good gun, plenty of fun. The marker has lasted me three years without any issues. It is durable and dependable. Exactly what I was looking for during my first search for my first marker. I couldnt have been more pleased.
Conclusion: I saw this marker online. I hold no bias, loyalty or Alliance with any company or team. I can care less to try to prove to the public and justify my purchase. I just hope you can get a honest review about a marker that is a SOLID WOODS PLAY MARKER. You will not be disappointed if you buy this marker. It is not a shinny light weight, light trigger, ramp feeding electro marker... But it is neither priced like it or meant to be one either. Again it is made for and MARKETED for the woods and for rec players like myself. Sure there are better markers, read reviews on high-in guns, but this one grabbed this "newbies" eye out of the hundred of other markers I had to choose from.
I'll give it a nine. If the accuracy was as tight as the dreams I had about it, I would of given it a ten. But this is paintball, not laser tag. So I should have expected the shots to be off alittle from some distance out.
Rating:
9 out of 10Last edited on Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 at 11:02 am PST
 

Review Comments
                            
Pages (2):  1  |  2
        Next Page
Donster 125 Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007 | 11:10 am PST
great review dude! very informative, concise and to the point! i liked the unbias view of it! keep it up! (Be sure to post pics of your gun once you upgrade it =P)
   

marmot Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007 | 12:43 pm PST
Respect your review, even though I don't agree with the rating. I especially respect your stating your knowledge and experience honestly and sharing with us your experience.

I still think, however, based on all the other markers out there, that it is poor value for money, as it does little that the A-5 or other competing markers can't do, yet is way more expensive. I also think that experience with the A-5 (the X-7 predecessor) shows me that the title "solid woodsball marker" is earned only after a good year of flawless operation.

Did you try the SP-8? Or any other marker, for that matter? Just curious.

As for your accuracy, two things affect accuracy: roundness of ball and smoothness of barrel. Premium ball and a good after market barrel will help a great deal. Consistency of gas pressure will affect consistency of shot placement, but you'd need a good high output (800psi) N2 tank to improve on that.
Last edited on Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007 at 12:47 pm PST
   

X7 Assassin Thursday, January 4th, 2007 | 12:02 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by marmotDid you try the SP-8? Or any other marker, for that matter? Just curious.

quote>Originally posted by marmotAs for your accuracy, two things affect accuracy: roundness of ball and smoothness of barrel. Premium ball and a good after market barrel will help a great deal. Consistency of gas pressure will affect consistency of shot placement, but you'd need a good high output (800psi) N2 tank to improve on that.

Marmot, I too read your review and did enjoy it, you may have persuided me another direction if I had read it sooner because you did you did shed some light on the electros out there for pratically the same cost. I did not look a them before I bought this X7, so I have no personal knowledge on them. They sound like excellent markers, and the reviews on them are solid. To be honest, the SP-8 or the MR-3 may have been a better buy, I see the advantages now. But I am very happy with the marker so far and I think I found what I was looking for; a marker that can withstand hours upon hours of play, and months and months of storage. Keep up your insite on these markers,it seems you found something you have great drive and knowledge of.

I am looking into premium balls as we speak, the days of going to Wal-Mart and Academy for paint are O-V-E-R! Thanks for you help.
Last edited on Thursday, January 4th, 2007 at 12:03 pm PST
   

X7 Assassin Thursday, January 4th, 2007 | 12:08 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by Donster 125
great review dude! very informative, concise and to the point! i liked the unbias view of it! keep it up! (Be sure to post pics of your gun once you upgrade it =P)

Thanks Donster, I tried to be honest with the review. i see to many people taking sides on the sport. It is very divided and people post unfair reviews based on which side there on. As soon as I figure how to post a picture, I will. Again, I love my marker and set-up, and would be proud to show it. Later.
   

marmot Friday, January 5th, 2007 | 9:49 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by X7 Assassin


Marmot, I too read your review and did enjoy it, you may have persuided me another direction if I had read it sooner because you did you did shed some light on the electros out there for pratically the same cost. I did not look a them before I bought this X7, so I have no personal knowledge on them. They sound like excellent markers, and the reviews on them are solid. To be honest, the SP-8 or the MR-3 may have been a better buy, I see the advantages now. But I am very happy with the marker so far and I think I found what I was looking for; a marker that can withstand hours upon hours of play, and months and months of storage. Keep up your insite on these markers,it seems you found something you have great drive and knowledge of.

I am looking into premium balls as we speak, the days of going to Wal-Mart and Academy for paint are O-V-E-R! Thanks for you help.

Cool dude, hope you enjoy your marker.
   

Little Jon Saturday, January 6th, 2007 | 11:24 am PST
By far the best review for the X-7 and better than 99% of the reviews I have read on this site. The one percent is that awesome one on the A-5.
Isn't putting a laser on your marker a little dangerous? I mean, shine it in someone's eye........they can't see anymore.
   

Ravenwulfe Saturday, January 6th, 2007 | 7:07 pm PST
Very nice and well written review, it's nice to see you actually spend the time to work the ins and outs of the marker before writing!
   

X7 Assassin Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 | 5:59 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by Little Jon
By far the best review for the X-7 and better than 99% of the reviews I have read on this site. The one percent is that awesome one on the A-5.
Isn't putting a laser on your marker a little dangerous? I mean, shine it in someone's eye........they can't see anymore.


Little Jon, Thanks for the remarks. I've used the X7 again, this past Monday on 1/8/07, and it again was awesome.
The red dot site is not a laser, it is just a Scope that uses a red dot rather than cross hairs to fix in on your target. The red dot does not beam out like a laser, matter of fact the only one that will see the red dot is the one holding it. I lovemine, it helps me site on the target quicker than the stock sites, and in many cases i get a one shot one kill when close enough. No more walking the shots into you target and giving them a chance to duck out of site.
If you have rails on top of your marker, and you have an extra $35-$45 bucks laying around, go get one. They are fun to use up to about 50 feet or so. Any thing further than that is hard to hit. Later
   

X7 Assassin Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 | 6:10 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenwulfe
Very nice and well written review, it's nice to see you actually spend the time to work the ins and outs of the marker before writing!

Thank Ravenwulfe, I went and played this Monday and one of the Ref's on the field really liked it. He just bought the Spyder Mr3, and he thought the X7 was WAY better looking. As far as actually shooting, he was surprised how accurate it shot, but to no surprise he didn't like the heavy trigger and slow semi-automatic action. He said he went back and forth between the X7 and the Mr3.
Also, I will add the field I was at uses all Tippmann 98c for their rentals. And these things were beat to hell, but they shot as well as any gun on the field. Another interesting note, There were two guys on the field, both guys had Spyders (model???). One of them actually brought two. Both, actually all three broke in the field of play. Not sure what happened to them, but that was interesting to see.
Have fun playing paint.
   

Ravenwulfe Thursday, January 11th, 2007 | 4:47 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by X7 Assassin


Thank Ravenwulfe, I went and played this Monday and one of the Ref's on the field really liked it. He just bought the Spyder Mr3, and he thought the X7 was WAY better looking. As far as actually shooting, he was surprised how accurate it shot, but to no surprise he didn't like the heavy trigger and slow semi-automatic action. He said he went back and forth between the X7 and the Mr3.
Also, I will add the field I was at uses all Tippmann 98c for their rentals. And these things were beat to hell, but they shot as well as any gun on the field. Another interesting note, There were two guys on the field, both guys had Spyders (model???). One of them actually brought two. Both, actually all three broke in the field of play. Not sure what happened to them, but that was interesting to see.
Have fun playing paint.


It's actually quite interesting, the X-7 looks a lot better in real pictures than it does on the Tippmann web page. It's a personal taste whether or not you like mechanical or electronic things, but the ref can be sure that the electronic trigger may be more up to snuff for what he's looking for. Spyder's aren't bad markers at all, but I do think there's something up with some of the boards. My friend's MR2's board fried twice. Kingman asked him how he could shoot so much and push it so hard in only about 5 months. He played about every weekend and shot it about as much as anybody else (he's not trigger happy), and they basicly told him he was shooting it too much. There's a reason I stay away from electros.
   

X7 Assassin Thursday, January 11th, 2007 | 5:33 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenwulfe
He played about every weekend and shot it about as much as anybody else (he's not trigger happy), and they basicly told him he was shooting it too much. There's a reason I stay away from electros.

WHAT!!!! Shoot too much! That is crazy to hear from the MANUFACTURER of the GUN. The only that will ever tell me I shoot too much is my bannking account,
   

marmot Saturday, January 13th, 2007 | 1:15 pm PST
quote:
From the review body by X7 Assassin
Third: Accurate, I read the reviews on the A5 barrell, and this I was told is the same barrell, and the A5 barrell didn't get rave reviews, But this one hits what you are aiming at from about 50 feet. Maybe there are other barrell matches that will let you get 75' or 100'. I would like to hear about them if so. And this has nothing to do with the gun, other than the ability to mount it. But you got to go out and get a red dot site. I took quick aim and accurate shots. Never, I mean never pop your head out the same place twice. One shot, One kill happened allot. No more walking your shot into your taget, just aim and shoot (when up close) and they are out. You'll here the opposing team scream to each other, "watch out, the sniper guy is over their somewhere" as I did.
Not aimed at you X7 Assasin, but just an observation: there's a lot of cr@p talked about accuracy of barrels. It is the player that is the most important factor. Next up is barrel cleanliness (the most expensive barrel goes to hell in a handbasket after a break) and paint/barrel size match. Only after that can you compare barrels.

So bear in mind that you may have experienced better accuracy simply because you were using better matched paint. If you want to get scientific about this, measure the bore of your stock barrel, then get the same bore of a quality barrel (Dye, J&J), get matched, good quality ball (Marbalizer, Evil or Draxxus Inferno, depending on bore size) and test it for yourself. Oh, and don't forget to use N2, as CO2 is simply not as consistent.
Last edited on Saturday, January 13th, 2007 at 1:16 pm PST
   

X7 Assassin Saturday, January 13th, 2007 | 5:07 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by marmot
Not aimed at you X7 Assasin, but just an observation: there's a lot of cr@p talked about accuracy of barrels. It is the player that is the most important factor. Next up is barrel cleanliness (the most expensive barrel goes to hell in a handbasket after a break) and paint/barrel size match. Only after that can you compare barrels.

So bear in mind that you may have experienced better accuracy simply because you were using better matched paint. If you want to get scientific about this, measure the bore of your stock barrel, then get the same bore of a quality barrel (Dye, J&J), get matched, good quality ball (Marbalizer, Evil or Draxxus Inferno, depending on bore size) and test it for yourself. Oh, and don't forget to use N2, as CO2 is simply not as consistent.


You know Marmot, I did use better paint this last go around. The field I went to did not allow BYOP, but they did sell prenium paint at a premium PRICE (OUCH), they sold Marbelizer. A case of 2000 cost me $80.00. But the paint to barrell match must have been pretty good. I had more consistant shots. When I had to crono the velocity, I did notice the FPS did fluctuate quite a bit. It went from 265 to 273 with every shot. I wonder if every marker does this? I hear you on the N2, I can't seem to bring myself to the extra cost yet, but maybe in the near future.
   

marmot Sunday, January 14th, 2007 | 10:05 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by X7 Assassin


You know Marmot, I did use better paint this last go around. The field I went to did not allow BYOP, but they did sell prenium paint at a premium PRICE (OUCH), they sold Marbelizer. A case of 2000 cost me $80.00. But the paint to barrell match must have been pretty good. I had more consistant shots. When I had to crono the velocity, I did notice the FPS did fluctuate quite a bit. It went from 265 to 273 with every shot. I wonder if every marker does this? I hear you on the N2, I can't seem to bring myself to the extra cost yet, but maybe in the near future.

Marbs are first rate and a much better match for your stock barrel than most paint. Suggest it was the paint, not the barrel. :)

I suggested N2 just for testing, assuming you could borrow some kit. But if you're looking to buy mods to get better consistency, then try either an expansion chamber (about $30 and up) or, better still, the Palmer Stabilizer ($95), assuming you can get those to fit (sorry, I don't know, but they do fit the A-5).
Last edited on Sunday, January 14th, 2007 at 10:13 pm PST
   

X7 Assassin Monday, January 15th, 2007 | 7:13 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by marmot
) or, better still, the Palmer Stabilizer ($95), assuming you can get those to fit (sorry, I don't know, but they do fit the A-5).

Can you give a brief or detailed description of what the Stabilizer does????

Also, I read your review on the Flatline barrell. Very informative, has you opinion f them changed at all since then???
   

marmot Friday, January 19th, 2007 | 9:19 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by X7 Assassin


Can you give a brief or detailed description of what the Stabilizer does????

Also, I read your review on the Flatline barrell. Very informative, has you opinion f them changed at all since then???

The Palmer Stablizer has been recommended to me by A-5 users and, in my experience, has a similar effect as a regulator (not an expansion chamber) in that it provides very much better gas pressure consistency.

Which Flatline review did you read? A-5 or 98C? ;) I think my opinion is still good on both, although I'm soon going to acquire an Apex, so that might change. ;)
   

Ravenwulfe Sunday, January 28th, 2007 | 7:14 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by X7 Assassin


WHAT!!!! Shoot too much! That is crazy to hear from the MANUFACTURER of the GUN. The only that will ever tell me I shoot too much is my bannking account,


Seriously! I wish I were joking, but he's had it sent in for repairs twice. I don't mean to make Kingman sound like a bad company, they make some pretty decent mid-end guns, but my friend really got a Lemon with his MR2. The marker itself isn't bad, and I'm sure it's an isolated case. My other friend got a PCS UP-5 around and it's been a very reliable electro. But totally agreed... they shouldn't have told him he -shot it too much-. It sounds like a bad case of denial that their board wasn't that great.

And your comment on the bank made me crack a smile. Too bad you can't top it off like a hopper, eh? =P
   

caustic Saturday, March 24th, 2007 | 2:26 am PST
This is an awesome review, and its nice to see the writer keep up with the comments! keep up the good work!!!! Out of curiosity, what size red dot sight do you use, and does it really help with aiming as much as everyone says? i personally shoot a vs2, but little bro has a 98custom pro and wants to know what size dot sight people use.
   

Ravenwulfe Sunday, March 25th, 2007 | 7:27 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by caustic
This is an awesome review, and its nice to see the writer keep up with the comments! keep up the good work!!!! Out of curiosity, what size red dot sight do you use, and does it really help with aiming as much as everyone says? i personally shoot a vs2, but little bro has a 98custom pro and wants to know what size dot sight people use.

Any red dot will do as long as it uses 3/8 dovetail mount. I had a 20 dollar Crosman red dot and when you actually take the time to adjust the knobs to zero it in (just take it into your back yard and try to hit the same spot as the dot repeatedly), you'll find it probably the best sight to use for paintball. They work AMAZINGLY. I miss mine, but alas, it didn't fit on my shroud. :P
   

X7 Assassin Monday, March 26th, 2007 | 6:10 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by caustic
This is an awesome review, and its nice to see the writer keep up with the comments! keep up the good work!!!! Out of curiosity, what size red dot sight do you use, and does it really help with aiming as much as everyone says? i personally shoot a vs2, but little bro has a 98custom pro and wants to know what size dot sight people use.

Caustic, I USE A 1X30 Red Dot I bought at Wal-Mart (of all places). It woks great, as I mentioned in the review, any bigger and I believe it would hit the hopper. If your little bro has a 98c, he will need an offset rail mount. That is the cool thing about the X7, the hopper feeds through the side, not the top. And to answer your question, "doues it help aiming as much as everyone says?" YES. But only in close shooting, 25-50' or so. My review goes into red-dot alittle further. Thanks for the comments.
   
                            
Pages (2):  1  |  2
        Next Page

Post a Comment
Please log in to your account to post a comment.

Not a member yet? Sign up now for free!

Return to the Reviews

Help / FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertising Info  |  Link to Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Top

Paintball Review

Copyright © 2000-2014 Hillclimb Media