Proto Matrix Rail '09, Claret Dust
Dye Rotor, Red
Guerilla Air 68/4500 HPA
Dye Rhino Tank Cover, Red
Smart Parts Ion Pro
VL Evo3 with Z-Board
New Designz Skeleton Bolt
S.P. Freak Barrel 12"
New Designz Spring Detent Kit
New Designz Razr "Silk" Rolling Trigger
A lever-lock clamping feedneck; the thumbscrew is difficult to tighten by hand.
Smooth: negligible "kick"
Feedneck thumbscrew (see below)
Difficult to clean interior
Opening the box: Dye included a very nice folding, zipper-closure marker case with two compartments. The main compartment is for the marker, and the other has elastic loops to hold both pieces from your barrel (stock, or your own). The second compartment also has mesh pockets to hold the included tools, lubricant tube, and a 9v battery. The manual is easy to read, and includes all of the instructions for disassembling, cleaning, and adjusting your trigger and board settings (even though you don't need to).
I liked that this marker is ready to go right away and requires no adjustment, unless you already know your own personalized settings (trigger pull, dwell, etc). I was really impressed by how quiet this marker is, and by how smoothly it operates. I'm used to the heavy slamming of the Tippmann hammer, so I wasn't sure at first if my marker was firing correctly, due to the complete lack of kick and the soft "pop" when it fires. It is very lightweight; just under 2lbs. The grip is comfortable, even for my large hands. The ASA is already a dovetail mount, so moving it to add a drop is a breeze. I didn't chop one single ball out of 800 rounds, and had only one barrel break. I was still able to "shoot through" the break for a few more shots before I had a chance to swab. The barrel performed really well, even given the field's PMI Premium paint. The bolt-out-back design was helpful in getting the bolt assembly out for cleaning, though it went downhill from there (see below).
I don't like the thumbscrew for tightening the feedneck clamp; it's a little difficult to tighten without tools (especially if you have the aforementioned large hands). The screw actually worked its way back out just enough for my Rotor to pop off while on the field. Cleaning the interior is also difficult: I chopped one ball during my initial testing, because I had turned the eyes off (my bad) since they wouldn't "see" the cheap Wally-world paint that I was using. I had to take apart the WHOLE upper section to clean out the break; paint had worked its way to the back of the bolt, so I had to disassemble the bolt and even remove the O-rings to get it all.
My local field does not allow any mode outside of normal semi-auto, so I haven't been able to test the other modes in an actual game.
Apart from operator error, this is an outstanding marker. I definitely got my money's worth out of this Rail. I would recommend upgrading to a lever-type clamping feedneck, and adding a drop.