This hopper is extremely fast, there is no doubting that! If you are totally enamored with speed then this is the hopper for you. I believe this isn't the best hopper out there because it has many integration issues. If all you are worried about is speed then by all means by a HALO-B, if you are at all concerned with chopping/weight/integrating it with your marker then I would suggest a different hopper.
1. The neck is so fat your not going to be able to find a feedneck that fits it. Your still going to have to start sanding until you can get it on. This will drive you mad. Additionally the only ones that are even close are the two-part adjustable feednecks that are fundamentally poor quality.
2. It feeds balls into the gun with so much force that your going to have to start replacing components to deal with this (or just chop balls) I had to replace my detents and bolt (on my timmy) to accommodate my hopper. My angel was totally overwhelmed (only 1 detent) When I investigated I found the forums filled with LOTS of people having problems with the halo shoving balls down so hard it causes problems. So big is the problem that Halo is on the 3rd mod to the halo to try and control the ball feed torque. The best adjustment you are left with is to grease the belt to reduce the torque the motor is transmitting and thus how hard the hopper is jamming balls down into the gun. Think about it, what a rotten solution this is!
3. It is a very heavy hopper once you add the batteries
4. You run into performance problems with the halo and dark paint. The eye has difficulty "seeing" it. On the surface its no big deal, just don't use dark paint. But this is a major problem if the tournament you are at only sells PMI premium or the like.
5. The on/off isn't exactly straight forward, you have to push it very quickly to turn it on, but push and hold to turn off. But it can be difficult to tell if its on or off. When this becomes a big problem is when you didn't get it turned on before the start and now with your gloves on it can be a challenge to get it done, especially when your bunker is under fire and your struggling to get it done. If you push the on for too long, it doesn't come on (interesting design feature)
1. The hopper design principle is actually a very good one, it is a very fast and can feed balls very fast. The long track before the balls exits the hopper will ensure that the paintballs fall straight into the marker without alot of swirling or jiggle.
2. The center mount neck is also a nice feature that allows the hopper to be well balanced on the gun.
3. The shape of the hopper is nice, its a good balance between being large enough to accommodate a good amount of paintballs while minimizing the profile.
The hopper itself has great potential, the problem is that there isn't a gun out there (that I am aware of) that it is suited to work for. If Halo would mod the board and sacrifice one or two balls per sec to get the torque issue fixed and adjust the size of the neck to fit most feednecks then this would be the top contender. Unless that happens it will cause you alot of problems with your marker that are not easily overcome, thus I would discourage anyone from purchasing one.
3 out of 10
Last edited on Sunday, May 25th, 2003 at 9:18 am PST
personally, i think it is kinda funky that halo does reccomend quite a few things to do to your gun to accomidate the hopper, rather than the gun. However, thats just something to consider. I personally think that this hopper rocks, but then again, i dont own an angel. Halos have problems with angels apperantly, a lot of people say so. However, they seem to work fine on most other guns that have regular detents. Mags might not work the best, but if you haev the ULE body, or maybe e mags, then you should be ok. What im tryin to say is, do a little reasearch before you go spend 120-150. come on people! maybe this hopper isnt right for you.
finally, the gyu still has his halo-b, so you know that has to be a good thing :P
Last edited on Friday, May 23rd, 2003 at 1:31 am PST
well i know a way that you could fix the jaming with this hopper i had a problem with this on my angel unscrew the ball detents a lil bit and it should help either that or shoot so faqst that there aint time for it to jam i have not accomplished this yet
Good Review on posting alot of the problems with it. My advice is to try it on a different gun, because as you already stated, there is alot of compatability problems with halos and angels. The only thing I personally didn't like is your views on the product are soley from one experiance from a gun that is already known to screw up with the halo on it. Next time, just do your homework, look up stuff on the net, and don't buy on impulse, or wait... mabey its to not buy an impulse (lame imp joke, sorry, haha) anyway, I liked your review, great one for all angel owners, the only thing I'd wish you do is re-edit your review and state that the reason you could have so many problems with it is because you were using it on an angel. Stay cool, uh... dawg.
one very good thing about halos is that closed bolt guns have alot less problems with the force feed issue....i can flat out rip to all hell with my eblade and halob...if u have seen the FoN video of the nyx matrix, the guy is just ripping insanely fast...thats just like me...im just in so much joy...halo is sooooooooooawesome........get one over the egg........
Last edited on Wednesday, July 9th, 2003 at 4:45 pm PST
Having a large neck to start off with is a good thing so that it can be made to fit any feed neck. granted it may be tedious to sand it down, having a perfect fit is worth it.as for the jamming/double feeding issues. I would reccomend maybe buying a cobra indestructdetent, or if you have a gun with dual ball detents, then dont worry about it. You could also try a lowrise to reduce the pressure on the ball stack...it works nicely for me. its not very heavy actually, only a few ounces more than an evolution 2.
i found that this was good review....i just wanted to say that i personaly belive that the hight of the feed neck makes quite a bit of differnce with halos and that most angels ive looked at have mid to high rises on them. At local tournament i was at i would guess 25-40% of the upper division players were shooting guns toped with halo bs and most if not all the guns had low or mid rises on them (there were a number of angel speeds there)...i did ask around since i had heard about the double feeding problems and it seemd that most of the folks that had them had highrises on guns.....might just be me but i think that might be it
i have a lasoya and i had the same exact problem,,i also have an older b before the z board and it works fine,,halo has a problem with these hoppers and i bet they know it thats why they would replace one so easy,,,just buy an egg,,despite what they guy with the ir3 said you cannot pull 23 bps if you could dynasty wants your number(i have an ir3 as well if i get 12 bps i will kiss it,,,
Egg 2's with yboard feed 15 bps on a gun. If you want an egg even close to the speed of a halo, you need a zboard, which ups the price to halo price.
Anyway, about the review, you make a big deal about nothing. Clamping low rises are actually very high qualiity you n00b. And don't be such a pansy about sanding, just pick up a dremel and you'll be done in a matter of a few minutes. And the ball detent problem? Is it that hard to spend 10 bucks on new detents? Also, if you're an angel owner you should know that halos dont work well on them. But all you need is a cobra indestruct detent and you're fine. Halo's also work fine on vikings, bushmasters, cockers, and I've even shot one a whole day on an IMAGINE!
I dont know any gun that can shoot 22bps, but the Diablo Mongoose LCD can shoot 20bps. The way I see it the Halo B give me 2 more bps just in case. Put a Halo B on top of a Mongoose LCD and even a newbe is a force to be reconed with.
your not supposed to use halo b on an angel, have u heard? it does something to the gu(for some reason just angels) but its just not supposed to be used on an angel. thats why it probably isnt good for YOU.
quote:Originally posted by oui hai pber your not supposed to use halo b on an angel, have u heard? it does something to the gu(for some reason just angels) but its just not supposed to be used on an angel. thats why it probably isnt good for YOU.
He already stated that problem in his review moron