paintball

  Join pbreview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

  
Home     |      Paintball Articles     |      Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
pbReview.com / Comments on Ivar Nelson's Review / Comments on Ivar Nelson's Review / Comments on Ivar Nelson's Review / Comments on Ivar Nelson's Review

Comments on Ivar Nelson's Review

Jump to the Comments  |  Post a Comment  |  Dispute this Review  |  Return to the Reviews

Ivar Nelson Friday, January 30th, 2004
Period of
Product Use:
More than 5 years16 of 20 people found this review helpful.

Paintball
Experience:
More than 5 years
Similar
Products Used:
This same product, or a very similar item was available in the 1970's for use with .22 caliber semi-automatic rifles. I sold it in my sporting goods store "All Outdoors" in Lynnwood, Washington. Sold the store in 1980. It went out of business in 1982............
Marker Setup: Spyder Imagine, ANS delrin bolt , ANS X-chamber and ANS feed neck, SP 14" Teardrop Barrel, Empire Reloader, Several "Cosmetic" Upgrades
Tippman A-5 with 14" ANS two-piece barrel
Dragun TES w/HPA & Ev'Lution 2 (Egg) hopper, 14" SP All-American Barrel
Strengths: Novelty; Relatively easy to move from marker to marker
Weaknesses: Impractical; expensive; Slower than most better triggers already; Mars finishes
Review: General: This product attaches with two adjustable set screws on the trigger guard of many markers and actual firearms. One turn of the crank fires the trigger four times with a cam mechanism that if turned fast enough will let you reach the maximum cyclical ROF of your Marker.

Strengths:
1. It is different
2. Can be adapted to a variety of triggers.

Weaknesses
1. When you are cranking the gun with one hand, it is almost impossible to aim it accurately. Think about it. If you hold the grip in your right or left hand and "crank" with the other, your gun will move around due to the forces applied by the "crank hand".
Take this test: Hold your marker in front of you with one hand, and pretend that you are turning the handle of this contraption. Does the gun move around? This is without the real handle and better than results with the actual Firestorm would be. Now hold your marker with your normal grip and "click" the trigger. Which do think would be more accurate? The one exception might be with a slow mechanical trigger, where it takes a lot of force, and can not be walked. And now you will probably "chop" on those guns too! Any Electro grip should be better. And if you already have "burst" or "auto" on your gun, forget it!
2. $40 will get you a new barrel or drop forward, all or most of many mechanized hoppers, a new expansion chamber or bolt, or any number of nice improvements.
3. It takes 4 complete revolutions to fire 16 shots. Can you do that in less than a second? I can't do it reliably. But I am almost a senior citizen. (I am one at Mickey D's)
4. The set screws can scratch the finish on the guard. Especially if they get loose or bumped. If the unit moves any appreciable distance, it stops working too. Precise placement is crucial to proper operation.
Conclusion: The Gatling Gun was formidible weapon in its time. It was mounted on a T&E (Traversing and Elevating) mechanism (quite stable) and cranked by hand. There are good reasons why Gatling Guns went out with the covered wagon. If you want a novelty item to play with, be my guest. But, I'm willing to bet that it will soon end up in a box or drawer somewhere next to the 8 track tapes, sliderule, 110 Film Camera and "church key" can openers.
Rating:
3 out of 10Last edited on Friday, January 30th, 2004 at 10:40 am PST
 

Review Comments
notaHUGEnoob Friday, January 30th, 2004 | 11:29 am PST
is this thing tourny legal?
   

sonnemann Friday, January 30th, 2004 | 12:04 pm PST
I's almost 100% positive that it wouldn't be. Plus, It would suck- Your accuracy would go down the crapper substantially, and your profile would be considerably larger because you'd have to hold the gun sideways to the bunker. Like he said, just a novelty item.
   

rookiemaster123 Friday, January 30th, 2004 | 3:57 pm PST
that is sooo dum. a crank??? c'mon
   

equalizer Monday, March 1st, 2004 | 9:17 am PST
The firestorm crank was developed for rec-ball and scenario players. Yes you need a stock or butt plate on you tank to stabilize it but you can shoot accurately and with alot of firepower. I was on the field yesterday with a stock A5, double trigger, J&J 14" Ceramic, pure energy 4500 and the Firestorm and you can ask about 25 or 30 players who got shot out if it really works. I even played back on a 10 man field and shot 1000+ rds in a game. Kept several players (tourny players) bunkered and eliminated several. Got one in the snake and he was toast. I just started cranking and brought the balls in where I wanted them. As far as balls chopping We've seen that even with a standard hopper that the balls are being shaken by the consistent repetitive firing and the balls drop right in.
In the woods and at scenario games the Firestorm Crank rocks. I don't know why Ivar cant turn a crank 4 times a second but I can easily turn the crank 4 times or more per second. He may have used the BMF on a .22 but I don't think he's used a Firestorm. On an A5 response with the response pressure turned up you can get 4.75 turns per second at 19 bps. It's pretty hard to snapshoot aginst 19 bps coming in and I can put them in a 12" circle at 125 feet. You can see a video at www.firestormcrank.com
   

tippycustom Friday, April 16th, 2004 | 4:25 pm PST
I don't know why this wouldn't be tourny legal, its one ball per trigger pull.
   

balazs Sunday, May 2nd, 2004 | 8:55 am PST
Yeah, i agree, ive actually heard it is tourney legal
   

Bassimastprime Friday, July 2nd, 2004 | 12:53 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by equalizer
you can ask about 25 or 30 players who got shot out if it really works. I even played back on a 10 man field and shot 1000+ rds in a game. Kept several players (tourny players) bunkered and eliminated several. Got one in the snake and he was toast. I just started cranking and brought the balls in where I wanted them.

cocky now aren't we, anyway yeah it is tourney legal
   

QuickDude Tuesday, July 6th, 2004 | 11:42 pm PST
haaa! they probobly hired him to advertize...
   

impyshmimpy Tuesday, July 13th, 2004 | 3:54 pm PST
Most definitely.....
   

tippmannstealth Monday, September 27th, 2004 | 7:36 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by QuickDude
haaa! they probobly hired him to advertize...
lol good point
   

DESC Thursday, October 7th, 2004 | 2:08 pm PST
Just a side note. Gatling guns didn't "go out with the covered wagons". Every us military fighter uses the M-61 Vulcan cannon (a gatling gun).
   

marx740 Friday, December 24th, 2004 | 8:54 pm PST
he means hand cranked gatling guns do you see people in the milatary cranking thier guns?
   

PBcommando Saturday, March 26th, 2005 | 4:36 pm PST
Senior citizen?
   

zack290enig Saturday, June 4th, 2005 | 9:18 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by sonnemann
I's almost 100% positive that it wouldn't be. Plus, It would suck- Your accuracy would go down the crapper substantially, and your profile would be considerably larger because you'd have to hold the gun sideways to the bunker. Like he said, just a novelty item.



Explain why the accuracy would go down.
   

bigbobmegadeth Friday, December 16th, 2005 | 12:19 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by equalizer
The firestorm crank was developed for rec-ball and scenario players. Yes you need a stock or butt plate on you tank to stabilize it but you can shoot accurately and with alot of firepower. I was on the field yesterday with a stock A5, double trigger, J&J 14" Ceramic, pure energy 4500 and the Firestorm and you can ask about 25 or 30 players who got shot out if it really works. I even played back on a 10 man field and shot 1000+ rds in a game. Kept several players (tourny players) bunkered and eliminated several. Got one in the snake and he was toast. I just started cranking and brought the balls in where I wanted them. As far as balls chopping We've seen that even with a standard hopper that the balls are being shaken by the consistent repetitive firing and the balls drop right in.
In the woods and at scenario games the Firestorm Crank rocks. I don't know why Ivar cant turn a crank 4 times a second but I can easily turn the crank 4 times or more per second. He may have used the BMF on a .22 but I don't think he's used a Firestorm. On an A5 response with the response pressure turned up you can get 4.75 turns per second at 19 bps. It's pretty hard to snapshoot aginst 19 bps coming in and I can put them in a 12" circle at 125 feet. You can see a video at www.firestormcrank.com


This is by far THE most hilarious and awsome post on this entire site. If only they made a firestorm crank adapter for a matrix, i would have one by now.
   

JIMMYJIM989 Tuesday, March 21st, 2006 | 3:07 pm PST
My friend has one of these on his A5 and it really pumps out paint. He has a remote, sling, and stock so the shaking doesn't give him the bad accuracy. I could see how it would be hard to use without that stuff though. Still all and all its pretty sweet when you spray it across the field.
   

stealth shooter Saturday, June 17th, 2006 | 6:37 am PST
quote:
Originally posted by QuickDude
haaa! they probobly hired him to advertize...

LOL
   

sanky Friday, July 7th, 2006 | 3:17 pm PST
actually astock and a tactal sling works really well for laying paint
   

Ace-o-Spades Sunday, September 10th, 2006 | 11:14 am PST
look, its pretty simple... if your too weak to use it standing up then do it laying down.. i dont think that it was meant to be very accurate anyways...
Last edited on Sunday, September 10th, 2006 at 11:15 am PST
   

zhelldog Thursday, April 5th, 2007 | 5:46 pm PST
quote:
Originally posted by notaHUGEnoob
is this thing tourny legal?

it is tourney legal b/c technically it only shoots 1 ball per trigger pull.
   

Post a Comment
Please log in to your account to post a comment.

Not a member yet? Sign up now for free!

Return to the Reviews

Help / FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertising Info  |  Link to Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Top

Paintball Review

Copyright © 2000-2014 Hillclimb Media