I've played @ SKIRMISH plenty of times. The place is good, but very overrated. The first few times I went I had a good time, mostly because of the particular refs we had. But the last time I went made me not want to go back ever again.
1) 2 Hours away from NYC area...we normally bus it...but it sucks to sit for 2 hours in sweat and dirt...but whatever can't really complain about distance, but this is a reason y it's a rare trip to take
2) The place is huge...too huge...you have to walk EVERYWHERE with equipment, and when I mean everywhere, I'm talking about having to walk deep and far into the woods to the point where you'd rather not play than walk it. And now you have to walk from the pay area to the staging area to then the fields...
3) Organization....as much as the refs. try to keep things organized they are not used to large groups of people. The larger the group the worst the refs. are. The first few times I went we requested the same refs. and were accomodated and never had a problem. I've recently gone with a new group and the refs. were complete asses...only worried about goggle saftey (which is great)..but umm yea that was it...don't expect a paint check because if you call one you can only call the check on yourself...not your opponent
4) Space/fields....ok the place is huge, yes...but when you have a good few hundred people there @ one time, finding a good field or a picnic table to settle down @ is based on pure luck.
5) Bathrooms....are you kidding me...looks like they empty out the Porto-Johns once a month...I went in to relieve myself and nearly threw-up opening the door.
6)Prices...they SUCK...the most expensive place I've been to yet...$125 for 2500 rounds...eh...if you're takin a bus ride expect to be paying approximately $60 just to take the bus ride and game day
7)Trooping...granted you're in the woods...you're GOING to walk...but DAMNNNN these fields are FAR...and last few times I've gone Refs. have a tendency to make you walk farther and farther with each game...I think it's their tactic to make you wanna leave earlier so they can go home n get paid. Our last game was so deep, half of us didn't even want to play anymore (strategy worked huh?)
8)No More Flags? LOL...ok as petty as this may sound...when we first started playing here, if you hang the flag you keep the flag...a little momento if you will. Not anymore...well @ least the last time I went...No more taking home souvenirs
1)Food...food was decent..prices were pretty good too...
2)Fields...if you're lucky to get to a good field...it's fun...plenty of room to strategize and manuever...Castle is fun but intense...
3)Free CO2 and Air fills...some places charge you...but both are free all day
4)Rules...very very strict on goggles and barrel plugs...
5)Hours of operation...we usually get there well after opening so I ave no clue when they open lol...but you will sure know when it's time to leave...cuz when it's time to go it's time to GO
All in all skirmish is going downhill...I think their "fame" put them into a complacent state of mind...i guess they can "do without" now... quality has definitly dropped...don't think I want to go back anymore...unless someone pays for my trip down haha...
1. Is its distance really a downside? I mean what did you want them to do....move it closer to you?
2. As for the walking...yeah you may have to walk it but so what? They have huge and elaborate fields. Would you prefer fewer, smaller, fields with far less cover like some two-bit fields.
3. You say you've been playing for 5 years right? Then you should know that you can never call paint check on your opponent. Only yourself. if you think you hit that player then yell to the ref to go check.....that or cover your opponent in paint so much so that he has to leave. But I've never had a problem with refs and big groups.