The accuracy of this review is disputed. Please see discussion below.
Period of Field Use:
February 19th, 2007
More than 5 years
Other Fields in the Area:
paintball city, sgt. splatters, eastie boyz
Directions to the Field:
dont mapquest it.....the street that it is on is a weird shape, and the mapquest directions, are not the best way to go...i got lost...phone them and ask them, or look at an accual map
alright...im not a picky paintballer, and i know pretty much everyone who has written a review for this field so far has pretty much loved it, in fact, the positive reviews are one of the reasons i decided to try it out, however, this place did not live up to my expectations, in fact, that may have been the least fun ive ever had at a field. first of all, the ref played pretty much every game with us. he didnt play for a game or two, but the majority of games, he played. how do you ref a game fairly, and moniter safety and stuff effectively when your playing? it cant be done. besides...even when the ref was playing, he pulled some really suspect moves. like for example, i got up beside him at one point, he didnt see me, but i had a clear line at his whole body, so i shot him three or four times, he cringed, then put his gun up and called himself out. then later, i found out he got to the door, and realized none of the balls broke, so he rejoined the game, from the other side of the field where the door is? what the hell is that? granted, if your in cover and check, and a ball doesnt break, then its cool, but if your being shot so badly that you have to call yourself out before you check, then your out...once you call yourself out, its over. that was not the only move, but im still kinda mad at the whole experiance so i wont go into further details. so to sum up the last part, there was basically no ref, which realy sucked.
- the field was alright, it was really slipery, and the walls were covered, but thats true with alot of places. i found it a little small, it seemed more like a speedball field, as apposed to a senario field, but it was set up like a senario field. i didnt like the setup personally, but there was nothing wrong with it, in fact, i can see someone really liking it.
- i didnt find it overly dark, like some of the other reveiws have said, i have a black chrome lens on my mask as well, and it wasnt bad at all, i could see fairly well.
- in terms of safety, they seemed alright i guess. when in the staging area, the ref was strict about barrel condoms, etc, but as i said before, he was playing, so i cant imagine he was monitering the door very well.
- other than the ref, i think my biggest complaint of this field would be the 'mercy rule.' now ive played with these rules many times before, and i dont really mind them, however, on this field, it seemed like i was the only one following the rule, and the one time i called a mercy, the guy turned around and shot me. and of course the ref saw nothing since he was PLAYING. so, whatever...i wasnt about to shoot the guy back or anyting, but common. also, there was at least 3 times where i was the last guy on my team, trying to fight off like 3 guys, and i got torched from from behind, at a range of like 3 feet.
- facilities, seemed to be about average for a paintball feild, i mean its not like the ritz, but it was relatively clean in the staging area and stuff, there was a bunch of paper towel and water spray bottels around which was very convenient. the front desk and waiting area was very nice, there was a couch or two.
- no proshop- what is in brackets was edited on october 27th (i went back there recently cause its down the road from where my friend works just to see if anything had changed since i was there. they do have a proshop...wither i was wrong or it was under construction or something, but there is a proshop there. didnt look around too much but it looked to be deciently stocked)
- prices were accually very good. i went on a byop night, and bought a case at the accual place for $30.00. admission waslike 20 bucks on top of that, but still, i found the prices to be fair. i have no idea what prices are like regularly, you would have to go the website. in terms of hours, im not really sre about weekends, but mon-thurs its 1630-2215 h.
- another complaint i had was the lack of diversity of the games. i was there for like 3-4 hours, and i just found that we were playing elimination alot. but there was a few more, i just found it a bit repetative. but we did mix it up a bit.
- in all, i was just expecting a much better time, and there is alot i had to complain about, so, i gave this field a 4/10 (based on their scale of 5 being average). there was too many things that were wrong, i guess the biggest thing that contributed the most was the ref, but i just did not have a good time playing there, and i will not be returning.
Last edited on Saturday, October 27th, 2007 at 10:59 am PST
well i've been playing at nation shortly after it began operating. it has changed dramatically since it started, i think that's natural, considering how packed it gets on weekday BYOP nights and with the sheer volume of paint that gets used up on the field. nowadays everyone mutters a complaint about the gobby pools of paint that's mixed in with the gravel and the poor condition of the turf. but that in no way reflects the hard work the staff at PBN puts into the maintenance of the field. if they didn't clean it up as diligently as they do, the field would be in a much, much worse condition. and undoubtedly the field has among the cleanest washrooms & staging areas ever, probably exceeded only by eastie boyz which has awesome staging + washroom (note it has only 1 washroom afaik) -- this speaks miles for just how hard working the staff at PBN are.
i have to agree with you that some nights, i dunno if the ref is mentally/physically tired or whatever, it often degenerates into straight elimination games. that being said, if you ask for a specific game, the ref in charge generally will accomodate your request. they often make their decision on which game to play based on who they see are coming out to the field for the current round, and also based on the head count. on most nights though, PBN has the most innovative/imaginative recball games around. for instance, you probably have not played PBN's "paintball soccer", which is played on rare occasions. its a challenging combination of Team Iron Man and, well, soccer. and on rare nights, the final game of the night will be Team Iron Man. we've also played predator, predator vs alien, zombie attack, jail break, capture the flag, medic, president, and drug war.
as far as the mercy rule goes, there's quite a few speedballers out there, so if you try to mercy them they will generally try to shoot first (PBN allows the victim of mercy to try to shoot back). i think that if you put the barrel of your gun right against them though (like against the neck or the body), you'll have a better chance of successfully mercying them. that being said, i usually try to pick off my targets from the +10 feet range, personally i find mercy is such a bother.
so i'm sorry you had such a bad experience. i dunno which night you came out, but if you do decide to come again, try to come on a tuesday/wednesday night. a lot of the players on those days are regulars, so they will usually abide by the rules, plus the same refs come out those nights, and they're usually pretty good.
alright...next time i decide to try it out, i will go on a more popular night. besides the field, i totally agree with your coment about the clean staging area and facilities...i even said that in my review.
thanks for the comment, i may infact give PBN another try based on the number of satisfied regulars they seem to have.
Very nice review, its a shame we have so many kids on this site who seem to flame anyone who does not see things the same way they do.
I have been considering trying out this field for a long time yet i cannot seem to find any pictures or videos of it whatsoever, which is how i am i like to know what the place looks like first.
I myself am an even mix of speed ball and milsim my local field (Next) is all speed ball with a milsim night once a week, but im really looking for a good indoor (or outdoor) field in which to do some of the milsim stuff, i may give PBN a try some time soon but can you recommend another field by chance?
once more great review, always nice to see a person who does say eather "OMG IT ROCKS 10/10!" or "this place sucks don't go 1/10"
yeah man thanks, i try .......haha.......
ummm like i said...if you enjoy both then you may very well like this place...there is only one building in the back, so like i said, i didnt find it overly tacticle, but check it out.....it may be perfect for you. another place you may want to check out that is really close is paintball city. its like 5 minutes away. its heavy into milsim. its got a lot more buildings and stuff. you can read my review on that place too if you want. its all personal preferance. check out the paintball nation website, im pretty sure there is a few photo's on there.
how far are you from pbn? cause if you have the time, the prices are pretty good during the week for both places. like i said in my review, i didnt really like the field layout but a lot of people seem to so....check it out. let me know how things turn out
Last edited on Tuesday, March 20th, 2007 at 12:25 am PST
says im 27 miles from it but with the joys of the 401 thats not that far lol, ya man ill be sure to give your other review a look, and hey if nothing else ill go try and it decide it ant for me eather, worst comes to worst i wait for Next to open there outdoor one in may.