Agape 3 locations, TAGG 3 locations, Splats, Parinod, SC village, Paintball city, Paintball Mountain, and about 20 more field that no longer exist
The quality of this field has greatly improved since IF has taken it over. This was the third time I have played here and the first since they have taken out the gravel. It is being ran by someone who knows paintball and that is always a plus. The price was good at $10 to play and $10 for all day air. I really enjoyed being able to bring my own paint but they also had a very good selection of paint at decent prices. This field has the possibility of being a stop for the NPPL or any big tournament.
The down side to my last experience at the field was because it is cheep and lots of noobs, it brings out the cheats and the stupid in players. Tons of wipers, I shot a guy 6 times and he never called himself out. People were shooting so hot that the bunkers sounded like a over filled basketball when hit. I was wearing a vest and still got bloody welts from being shot. Every old school trick was employed to cheat, and the refs are to inexperienced to know any better. They are players, but reffing is different and takes a lot more skill.
I have been playing for 20+ years and I have been reffing for 15 of them. The level of cheating going on makes the field more dangerous than it is worth. until such time as the refs get more training, do not let your children play here. The sad part is Black Beards is a family place and attracts kids to the many activities there. The paintball park needs to promote that atmosphere if it wishes to survive. Paintball is not about tearing up people just because you can. If that is what you want play air soft, there you can be as dishonorable as you want.
The next time I go out there I would like to see these changes:
1. Make every player read and sign a copy of the rules
2. Chrony every gun going into the field and out of the field
3. Refs be issued pocket chrony to random check.
4. Marking set screws of markers with external velocity adjustment.
5. Refs need to know there are no friends when you are the ref.
6. Refs need to learn how to break up a team. 5 team mates against 6 noobs and 2 experienced players is not an even match.
7. Stake down the bunkers and keep them filled with air. This would not be a problem if people were not shooting so hot.
8. Train refs, there are some great video training that can be gotten to help them learn what to look for and listen for.
9. Larger dead zones and stop raking the paint into them.
10. If play is heavy, stop and clean field at noon. Remove the dirty paint from the field and not just rake it into the sides.
11. Put down saw dust or dry dirt to get rid of the mud and slim on the sides of the field.
12. Enforce the rules and don't Waite until someone gets mad, be proactive.
13. If small kids are out playing, make sure they are safe. Most of the time they stay put and hide, so they are usually the last one left. As a parent, it sickened me to see some one ramp a 7 year old who had given up.
Not to sound like a complainer but these are things I saw playing and the times I went just observe. I told the owner just what I have told you, I don't want it to close but to change. The field has a lot of potential but so did all the ones that I have seen close due to mismanagement. Unless changes are made, this field is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I have gone back several times since I posted this review and nothing has been changed. I am forwarding the comments to the management of Blackbeards Family Fun Center. It is sad to say that I would rather this field be closed than have to defend paintball after some kid gets his eyes shot out because the field is not taking care of business.
If you think I am over reacting take a pair of old goggles out to your back yard and get the crappiest paint available, turn your gun up as hot as you can, get a fresh tank, and see if you can break the lenses. Then ask yourself two questions:
1. Could this range happen at this field, and if so would the players do it?
2. What will the news of this happening do for paintball in the valley, or Fresno?
How many kids does it take getting hurt before some lawyer and parents with money change the law?
I've played for several years and been to Agape, Paranoid, Blackbeards and so on. Everyone of them has there pro's and con's. I would say that you could find a unsafe condition and any one of them. My answer to ogpaintballer's questions are, that you have the ability to play at any field you would like, if BlackBeards scares you and you are weary for your children then i suggest that you choose one of the other parks to attend. Commenting in the fashion you are makes me think you have some type of reason why you would like to see this field close. Its a shame that you feel so compelled to send you comments to BlackBeards management rather than voice your opinion to the fields owner. Good luck on finding that elusive "perfect field" !
1st let me say that any idiot who thinks a paintball mask will hold up to a shot gun blast at point blank range is the same one who would be stupid enough to try it while wearing it. Blackbeards is not a death trap, but if it does not change will be shut down due to law suit.
2nd there is no perfect field out there AND I DID TALK WITH THE OWNER AND HE HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING!!!!!! He has one NPPL certified ref who is incompetent. "that player did not wipe, he plays on a team" or my favorite, "sometimes spyders just do that" as the CO2 streams out the barrel because the player turned the thumb screw all the way in. Look as far as fields go Blackbeards has a lot of potential, but it is a small field with to many little kids. It would only take one of those little kids getting hurt to have the field shut down.
3rd I have opened and closed more fields than most people in the Fresno area, one more won't matter at all. Attacking the use of a FIELD REVIEW section is stupid and makes me think you don't understand why this is here, let me help. This is here so people can review a field and tell others what they think.
I have been playing for over 20 years all over California. There are at least 10 fields that I can name that are no longer here because of 1 complaint to the right person. I have been on teams trying to go pro or semi pro and have felt the lure to cheat. But let me also say that there is no way that your team will make it into any magazine or on any circuit if you have a reputation for questionable playing practices, after all we are not airsoft. Again this is my opinion, you may not agree with me but at least stick to the facts. Has any of my 13 points been addressed, as of two weeks ago NO.
Just so you know I have and will continue to go to other parks and until Blackbeards changes, I won't play there. I pray that they will change because it is nice to have a field in town.