This field is Great its fun and field set up is very good. L shaped field is small but has many bunkers and is set up by pros. Reffing is professional but not too friendly its ok. They have affordable open paint on weekdays which you can buy a case for $40 from them or bring your own. 5 minuet games let everyone play but its still a bit crouded. . They only sell angel guns worth $1200 and gun accesories but they work with a large retail store nearby. I still go back its fun and professional. Great field.
Last edited on Sunday, April 4th, 2004 at 2:21 pm PST
High Velocity: Staging area is smaller refs are completely goofs
High Velocity Outdoor: Still waiting to get out there when winter is over
Xfactor: worst on the island
Cousins Indoor: good feilds but bad refs and only Monday BYOP
Cousins Outdoor: Only decent for recballers
Paintball Arena is the only field I've seen which has diligently put effort into making their Feild
As of two weeks ago they recieved new bunkers (Doritos, and little snakes) which have made games much more interesting. The field is usually normally well setup and they drag a few bunkers around every couple hours to change the play.
As large as an outdoor one, but nicely tucked inside. Has a complete little shop, service counter, and rental/airfill station. Nice clean tables and lockers provided. They also JUST built a new chrono area with two chronos side by side and a complete set of allen keys connected by chains to the station. This is what I mean by always getting better, very impressive chrono station.
Prices are pretty average, they have BYOP all week long and FOP days on the weekend are $20entry + $100 a case of free entry and $70 a case if your a member. The stores prices are also average for a brick and mortar joint and you can't really expect more, if you need a pod or something its there and chances are if you need it you'll buy it anyway.
All the refs at PBA actually play paintball, other places like HV and Xfactor seem to attract the lowest grade of workers, while everyone at Arena is great. Over the course of its opening I've gotten to know most the employees and became close friends with a few. Their all great people
Something most other reviewers leave out.,
Arena holds an average of 9-3man events and 2-5man events a year, in addition to young gun events. Cousins and High Velocity can't touch that combined. In addition Arena also has 2 tournament style practices a week where teams from all over the Island attend, while its not something to walk on in if your still new to the sport, its great if your a tournament baller so to speak.
First time playing indoor. I usually play at Line of Fire or Wolverine in NC. Was in NY for vacation, and figured I would give it a try, as well as introduce my sister to paintball. Service was great. Great staging area. Air station set up with 4500 and 3000 PSI stations. BYOP days, although $100 for ZAP on Saturday's. Pay less at scenario games. Field congested with bunkers. Had a great time, paint too expensive, crowded field, fast game start up, good refs.
High Velocity - Up to atleast 2 years ago, the weekend refs were really nice offering constant pointers. The fields were wiped down and swept after every game. They have a great little target range/chrono area with a good sized table for tweaking your marker. I don't know how it is today, but you can bet I'll have a review of it when my tank gets back from hydro.
After a 2 year absence from frequent paintball play, I've returned with a renewed obsession and lofty goals.
Last night, I decided I would check out Paintball Arena on their Team Practice night (Tuesday.) If you were there, I was the guy at the end of the field and in the L with the long hair, tan shirt, and flex-7's folded up at the mouth.
--------[ PEOPLE ]--------
The Counter Staff:
- Guys behind the counter were really friendly. I was only there to watch for a few hours, but they offered me any kind of gear I wanted to stay clean (since i wasn't playing)
- Haven't gone to them with any marker problems yet, but I saw a good number of people leave the field with a downed marker and return with a fully functional paint slinging machine.
- REFs were also really friendly, though a bit tired after a long day of yelling at little kids to put their masks down and get their barrel plugs in.
- REFs were great with the kids and made sure they stay safe (this is actually really important to me.) One of them (whose name i never caught,) was constantly sliding around to the kids in their bunkers, helping them out with any problems. Also provided encouragement and an iron fist where needed.
- REFs weren't afraid to go sliding around the field and getting behind some paint to check the players.
- They kept things moving, rotating between all the groups that were there. It was nice to seem them take a proactive approach.
--------[ THE FIELD ]--------
- When I first arrived, the bunkers were mighty clean (considering they were open 6 hours longer than usual.)
- I didn't see them wiping down the bunkers after games, but I'm going to make the assumption it was due to how busy they were last night. With a night consisting of private parties, Walk-ons, and team practices, I didn't expect it to be terribly clean.
- The field was only swept near the dead-boxes when I was there, but I firmly believe that was due to two broken sweepers. I overheard a lot of the ref's friends who were playing teasing them about sweeping the field. To me, this implies that its normally in great condition.
--------[ STAGING AREA ]--------
- Awesome size staging area. plenty of tables and lots of open space.
- Clean and well lit.
- Cute little "Gladiator" motif.
--------[ THE BUILDING ]--------
- If you're showing up there in the dark, the door can be kind of hard to find. Its the STEEL DOOR. NOT the clear (paint-splattered) glass. It's just getting in to the place, so no points are deducted here. In my opinion, what its like when you get in is more important.
- Plenty of parking around the building. (No fighting soccer moms for spots.)
--------[ CHRONO ]--------
- The chrono setup was kind of crappy. They had two that I saw (one on either end of the field.) While it served its purpose for checking velocities, it didn't really have a place to adjust your marker. This is the spot they lose their point.
--------[ OVERALL ]--------
Without even playing, I had a great time at Paintball Arena. The facility itself had no real downside. The staff was courteous and friendly. The inside of the place was pretty cool looking. If not for the chrono setup, they'd get a solid nine.
NOTE: To obtain a ten, a field would have to be absolutely perfect from tip to toe. I don't expect to be giving out a ten.
You cannot beat this feild. I had been playing at cousins indoor for a LONG time before i started to go to arena instead. The bunkers are ALWAYS clean and the floor is never littered with paint. Your shoes will actually get some traction going at this field!
I love how they get the games going fast, that is, you dont have to wait an hour on slow refs. Plus, the refing staff is awsome compared to other feilds. *cough* cousins *cough*.
The field itself is awsome. It's longer as opposed to wide but it isnt, in any way, too skinny. This is BY FAR the best feild on Long Island. If ur looking for a place to play indoor....this is definatly the place for you.
xfactor-not that good but good
cousins indoor- decent not perfect not bad.
Paintball arena is a great place to go paintballing at. Today was my first day paintballing there and it was a perfect experince for me.
They adjustested my drop so i could put in my hpa in for free. have me a free battery. service was perfect, the staff was quick to our demands. they check you when you call imediatly and check you when they think you were hit.
At cousins, they most of the time dont care if we chrono or not, which almost ruined my paintball experince there.
Paintball arena makes us chrono otherwise we cant play at all. the prices are far cheaper than any other place i've been to, and it's home to the New York Dogs!
Im deffinetly going there next friday so i can get it for free. Check the site out on certain days you can get in for free with free fills, only thing you've got to pay for is paint. and wensdays byop nights. they place is perfect.
the feild is well lighted, they gave us helpful hints. though they cant tell fair team from fair team. They sent my team of newbs minus me against like amatures. we didn't lose that bad. We managed to get 3 out of 8. heh i got 2 of them.
they have an L shapped feild but we didn't use the extra corner. It was too bad i was only there for 2 hours. I would have stayed there all night if i could. but oh well.
I rate this place a 10 for service, i forgot to mention that when they order lunch for themselves, they some times give some to us. the feild is great.
What can i say? This is the best field. The refs are awesome, they'll check you when you first ask instead of having to yell like 10 times. The filling/repair area is a clean and someone is always there to help you out, so you dont have to wait forever to get your tank filled. Open 6 days a week, 3 are BYOP nights and Friday is student night and saturday is sticker night. The field paint is Zap, and sumtimes Cronic or Tork. The seperate fields are tiny but alot of fun, but its better when you have the giant L shaped field...
Other than that its great. So stop reading my review and go play! NOW!
I played here on a team practice night. Good competition, I like the way their rest area was set up with their merchandise all lined up in plain view behind a counter. They were worth the drive but the only flaw is one sup air field, they may have changed, i haven't been therer in a while, but it was still fun.
Last edited on Tuesday, November 18th, 2003 at 11:37 am PST
RexPlex, SI Paintball, NJ Paintball, Top Gun, Paintball Depot, ET Paintball, Skirmish, EMR Paintball
Indoor only field.
Cost: Low prices and BYOP days.
Staging area the best I've ever seen. Many tables/chairs set up. Clean area, ample garbage. TV and music playing.
Registration/services areas very well organized.
Very friendly and profesional staff.
Location is on the end of a road in a warehouse type area across from a cemetary (if that bother's you).
Although they advertise two fields, only the sup-air is appropriately sized, the other field is tiny, I've seen target ranges bigger than that "field".
Lighting, as with all indoor fields lighting is a problem, although not any worse here than others I've been too.
The wall netting is tied very tightly to the walls, I was hit twice by paintballs which bounced from the side netting.
I went there on a Holiday weekday. It wasn't very crowded and the waits between games on the single field was not long. I could see it being a problem if the place was more crowed.
The crowd was mostly teenagers and pre-teens who appeared to be regulars, I'm sure this had to do with it being a holdiay weekday. I gather the crowd changes depending on day of week.
Low prices and BYOP make this place a bargain.
I'm really fond of this field and I really like how its run, however, the single (usable) field forces me to give it a lower score.
This field is awesome!!!!! This is my favorite field. They have everything someone would want in an afternoon of paintball. They have affordable prices, decent gun rentals, a great proshop, nice refs and a great field. They even have specials on the paint and have a giant L- shaped field. Go here b/c it is the best field!!!!!