Splat tag is an excellent woodsball field featuring awesome terrain for various types of play. The open play sessions are ran very well run and organized. However any special events are always poorly organized and ran. It seems that there is no communication between the individuals involved with the event. These events often start late by at least an hour. Overall its a nice field; if your a patient person.
Splat Tag field in Baldwin for Giant Big Game 4 or 5. Same level of disorganization and chaos. Had TERRIBLE food. Teams were horribly uneven. Refs sucked. Kids were filling Co2 tanks by ear. I still managed to have a pretty good time though.
I was at the 6-5-05 Big Game at the Hudson field. My friends and I were on the PITIFUL Red team. We were soooo outnumbered it wasn't even funny. I remember the entire Red team standing at our fort just before the beginning of the game and thinking, "There has to be close to 300 people here, Why does my team have less than 50 people?" Yeah, we got our butts annihalated every darn game. I seriously think the staff at Splat Tag doesn't start to plan the Big Games till the night before it starts. In the morning, the air compressor didn't even work and when they finally got it working they only filled to 2800 PSI, not even close to the advertised 4500 PSI. One "fill" I got was 1800 PSI! The event eventually got rained out and quite frankly, I didn't mind. My team sucked, the refs/staff sucked, this entire event SUCKED and I just wanted to go home. I was just glad my friends and I had 4-wheel drive truck otherwise we would have never made it out of that muckhole/swamp. I can safely say I am never going to any of the fields again. What a miserable day of paintball! What a waste of time and money!
Overall, I give this field a 3 out of 10 and that's being LENIENT.
Don't waste your money people. The Splat Tag fields need to be shut down and the swindlers they call a staff need to be tarred and feathered.
SYO Pgi. Syo is way to frickin expensive and pgi isnt really that fun.
If you are a woods ball player, you need to come here asap. This has probably some of the best woods ball fields around the area. 25$ with byop, not bad at all. I think its a damn good place to play. The staff is VERY friendly and make you feel welcomed. Unlimited c02 with entry. GOTTA LOVE IT. Anyhoo, I definitely recommend this place.
Went there on 6-4-05 for some open play. $15 field fee w/ unlimited air and CO2. $10 bring your own paint fee. So $25 to play. Damn good price.
The drive there was uneventful. However, I can imagine on a soggy day it could be bad. The dirt road that leads to the field would not be kind to a car when wet.
Check in was long for some of the people that I went with, but for me it wasn't that bad. There were a lot of groups there, and it took a while to get them through check in. I got to the pay station before the groups did, so I got in and out relatively quickly. My buddies stood in line for a while.
The staging area was nice. They had some tents up and a bunch of picnic tables to put your stuff on. There were also some bleachers and such so the refs could talk to a large group of people at once, which was good for when those groups got the safety talk.
As for the refs, they were pretty much non-existent for the open play. I'm assuming that is because there were so many groups there, and they were very very busy. The groups got the safety talk, but the open play did not. There were about 25-30 open play people, and we had one ref on the entire field. It didn't seem like chrono (300 fps) was enforced, but it also didn't seem like anyone was overshooting anyway.
The fields were excellent. Great layout, and a decent amount of cover. The only problem was that we played on the same field over and over and over again. Only at the end of they day, when most of the groups had left,did we change fields. I understand that they were busy.
All in all, I was very happy with Splat Tag. Great price, great fields, and as good of service as you can expect when there are so few people working there. I give it an 8.
i was at he big game on 6-5-05 and it was by far the worst game i have ever been to.
1.registration: ok so registration was supposed to start at 7:00 am i got there at 6:30 and i was the first one there but i couldnt getto the field because there was a gate there so i waited and at about 7:30 there were several cars behind me and one got stuck because it was a dirt road and it rained the previous night so we all had to back up a bunch so this van could move ... it ended up being 8:15 before they started teh registration. 3/10
2. organization: the worst i have ever seen. they were an hour behind with registration and then they couldnt get the air stations working so there went another hour of playtime wasted...so Finally at 9:30 briefing starts and at 10:30 the game begins the play wanst too bad other than the fact that over half the ppl were shooting over 300 fps. yes the had chronoers walking around doing random checks but soon as they walked away the just turned it back up i remember a kid ahead of me was stopped and chronoed at 436. 436!!! it was a little 12 year old shooting a stock 98 and they told him to turn it down to leagel speed so he did and as teh guy walked away the kid turned it back up!!! 1/10
3. Air stations: they were poorly run al together. im glad one of my friends had an extra nitro tank i could use because my friend waited in line for an hour getting his co2 filled which they did a half-assed job doing anyway the nitro line was pretty short all day prolly because the only filled the tanks to 2500 psi no matter what size you had 4/10
4. Gameplay: this actually wasnt too bad othere than the fact that we started 2 hrs late and the team i was on was outnumbered atleast 2:1 we were swamped in our reinsertion tent and the whole "10 foot surrender rule" meant nothing i was shot basicly point blank range in the arm there were no missions or when ever i asked for one they said there wernt any yet so i asked a few more times and got the same reply. and the tank they had was a peice of crap and coule only be taken out with a rocket launcher and there was one launcher per team 5/10
5. Refs: if by refs you mean the annoying 18 year olds wearing orange splat tag shirts then ya they are the "refs". they sucked at everything they were supposed to do. they didnt check if you were hit they gave away positions. they followed my friend around who had just got his ego the day before, commenting on how slow he was at shooting and called him Ego-Man. they also called me out for getting too much splatter on my pack...
they werent very good refs at all. 3/10
in conclusion the giant game sucked, save your money and go to SCPs field in baldwin, they have better staff and fields plus they are cheaper
the big game was a HUGE wast of money and not worth $45....
It started to warm up thought I would try something different and head out to a outside field. My friend told me to check this place out. It was pretty easy to find. I got checked in pretty quick entry wasn't that bad 15 bucks to get in including air/co2 and about 65 bucks for a case of paint. They ran through a quick things for safety and the ref we had chronoed a few markers a lot of people had rentals that I was playing with so this went pretty quick. We went out to there big field and played capture the flag it was really fun the field was huge with a lot of cover. Thru the rest of the day there were no problems they kept the games going quickly with not a lot of sitting and waiting to go out and play. The Ref's kept people inline and the games under control. They have the regular players moms i guess come out and the sell refreshments and food I thought that was pretty cool. The atmosphere out there was real friendly and was a lot of fun definitely will be going out there again.
Most other Wisconsin fields, Apocalypse, Commando, BFG, PB Sam's, Outlaw.
I've only been to the field once, at the Giant Big Game VI in June of 2004. This was hands down the worst scenario game I've ever attended. It was unorganized, poorly reffed, and downright dangerous. I will never play one of their "scenarios" again.
Here's a breakdown of the major violations.
1. Parking. While finding parking for 600+ players can be tough, there were cars getting stuck in the mud all over the place at this event. Luckily I went in a four wheel drive vehicle, but I saw plenty of kids in cars get out and push their car through two feet of mud to park. Try not setting the parking up in a swamp.
2. Sign in. I prepaid on the internet with the promise of a speedy sign in and a seperate check in line. This wasn't the case. I ended up waiting in line for about a 45 minutes because they took the dedicated line for pre-payment and opened it up to everyone else. Nice move.
3. CO2 fills. They had kids filling tanks by ear. While ok for an emergency woodsball type situation they really should have been filling by scale to prevent the multiple blown burst discs I saw throughout the day. Luckily I use HPA, since I doubt there were enough burst discs to go around.
4. Chrono. They did have an area set up for chronoing your marker in, but absolutely no ref supervision at all. People were adjusting their markers to whatever fps they chose. One kid wanted to borrow my allen wrench to crank his marker up higher when he was already shooting over 300fps.
5. Refs. I have never seen such terrible reffing in my life. These kids couldn't have cared less about being there. A fat kid reffing at one of the insertion points is telling people not to use the insertion tent as a bunker while the enemy team is about 30 feet away shooting my teammates as they get their cards punched to get back in the game. People on both teams were cranking their guns up to 400fps+ to play the long ball game, and the refs did nothing. I guess a bunch of 15 year olds isn't the best reffing staff you can get.
6. Gameplay. This wasn't a scenario, it was literally a Giant Big Game. There weren't any missions, nothing to make it a scenario, nothing shared with the common player at all. As far as I could tell it was a 300 vs 300 woodsball game with no rules. Not that I didn't enjoy shooting about 50 guys out over the course of the day, but I can do that at any field.
All in all, this was one of the worst fields I've visited. I've only been there once, but all it takes is one shot fired from a gun shooting 400+fps to blind or kill someone, so I rather doubt I'll be returning anytime soon. The prices are fair, everything else gets a failing grade from me. Worst run field I've been to in Wisconsin.
This is my regular field. I live on the west side of the Twin Cities and this place is well worth the drive. It is all recball with several large fields. the last sunday of every month is a big game with prizes drawn at the end. Their Giant Big Games are great. The most fun I have ever had. The staff is good to great. They enforce the saftey rules. The only concern I have is they do not weigh CO2 and a friend of mine did have his burst disc blow after getting his tank filled. They do offer nitro fills too. The owners are constantly trying to better the fields with things like a downed airplane, and sandbag bunkers. Most of the fiilds though, are just trees and bush for cover. If you like recball you must check this place out. Prices are very reasonable too.
Run-n-gun Paintball Sports
Back 80 (unfortunately)
Darkside Arena in South Dakota
The Adventure zone
none of these really compare. I was at Splat Tag for the giant big game in June of '04. so ti was a completely different play than at the other walk-on games.
Well, first off, when i was here it was for their Giant Big Game VI in June of 2004. First impression wasn't too great, their driveway was very muddy and lots of people got stuck. However, this is justified considering all fo the rain that had come down recently. so don't let that stop you from going. After we got there. it was great. It was my first big game and my brothers second time playing ever. We had a blast. 650+ people. It was very well run and made for a wonderful day of paintbal. i would recommend this for big games any time, andi plan on being in attendance for their game this June. (also i was at their game in September (both days) in Morristown.
THIS IS THE BEST PLACE EVER GODD STAFF 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME U GET GOOD PEOPLE GOOD PRICES THE BEST PLACE EVER. THE BEST FEILDS R THE BIG BIG MAP AND THE TOWER STILL THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST. I have played at syo but their prices ar soring high.