If you haven't been out to play for a while then come on back. Field has changed, more items added. More fun games for groups. Covered staging. Marker repairs. HPA and CO2 refills while you play only.
No time limit on games and best of all-Bring your own paint.
What else do you want.......
Ok, I really didn't know what to expect from this place. I was over at my friends house with my bro,bored, so I decided to have some fun. I saw some pictures and videos and thought this would be a great way to spend 10$.
After the long 30 min. drive through hillbilly world we arrived, at a traylor house with the field nowhere in sight and zero players. As we got out, a lady came out to meet us. When we walked in we saw a nice setup of tables and alot of paintball equipment. We got set and listened to Josh (cool guy, ex- marine, reff, handyman, played one game with us, pretty much ran the place) explain the rules.
When we got out there, it was alot bigger than the advertized 2.5 acres. It felt more like 5 give or take. The scenario was excellently placed, not to close were you would just walk over to it but not to far that it was impossible. Sniper towers everywhere, a crackhouse and just hundreds of tires. But anyways, so we played for 3 hours. Any game we could think of, and really never got bored. Then at 9:30 someone finally arrived with a group of 5. I would have to say this is just amazingly fun when you have 5v5 but i really couldnt tell at night because they didnt have any lights! Overall they were good people and I got way enough out of my 10$.
Good rental equipment
Fun for people not playing
No one is there during summer
Don't sell paint
TXPB-why on earth would you suffer to pay that much? Xtreme, Hill 13, Petty, Outlaw, PB Challenge...etc.
Directions to the Field:
If you have a GPS, use it! Get the Address...Which is 25009 Ranch Road Leander, TX.
Like many average life paintballers ( by that I mean those that go 1 to 3 times a months, when you have the time off and the funds to go) I spend a lot of time just looking for a Field that will take weekday walk-ons. A friend and I spent 3 weeks looking at fields and calling around. After a recommendation from my boss, we decided to settle on Leander PB. I couldn't recommend another field more than I could recommend Leander. I'll list the events that set it apart.
1. You arrive and expect to rush through getting everyone paid up and rentals passed out if needed, but instead, you sit down, relax, set up your own gear, prep everything at whatever pace you like.
2. You cycle through paying the field fee...a small $10, which also includes a full rental for those without gear. Then you settle back down and continue doing as you were doing.
3. Everyone is prepped, time to cycle through Chrono. A few adjustments, maybe a comment or two to those that don't put on they're plugs walking away.
4. Staff notices everyone is ready...didn't have to tell them! Time for a quick safety brief. A few simple rules...however, nothing that CONSTRICTS play. Safety oriented (barrel plugs, masks on, suurender rule, etc)
5. A very odd occurence happened...we step onto the field and expect a ref to call the game, and start us on our way to carnage, but no ref appears. We were allowed to play as we wished, make whatever games we wanted, and make use of the entire field in any manner (within the confines of their few simple rules) we wanted. However, I expect when the population increases, someone will then come out and keep an eye out for those that don't always remember the rules.
6. I'm a woodsball fan, so a few things can make me very happy. I like to see a few structures, and debris, and improvisable cover. I must say, this field had it all! Well defendable positions, great flank opportunities, concealed avenues of approach, the works.
7. I was borrowing an Invert Mini from my boss and played most of the day with that. I know nothing about Minis so when I had complications I had to turn to the advice of the staff. They never hesitated to help, adjust, repair, guide, talk, or show you through anything. A great selection of products is offered through their proshop, and if they don't have it in, they will get it for you anyway possible.
8. All day air/Co2! Self-service fill stations (although run off scuba tanks for HPA) was very convenient. A compressor would have been nice, but so far, this was least of my worries. I expect as reivews like this keep coming, and they keep expanding, a high pressure compressor won't be too far off.
9. Rental markers were mainly Tippman 98s, and none that we were using ever had any problems. Their gear is well maintained, clean and reliable.
10. I ended up buying a Tippman A-5 sniper completely upgraded from Johnny (one of the owners) w/ an Apex barrel, for $300, after playing with the mini and having some issues. He saw the consistant problems I was having and simply let me use it for a few matches. I didn't even have to rent it! He just let me use it.
11. Their hours might be deceiving online, because both times we were there in the last week, we stayed pretty late, 5 or 6pm, and started at 10am. So we had loads of time to play. Summer hours include some pretty hot days, so people shy away from coming out, more than the winter months. But there is PLENTY of shade in the staging areas and they even have a misting system.
12. They offer a home cooked menu, and other generic type foods, vending machines for water and soda, but I would bring a cooler and tons of water.
13. Parents or people bringing youngsters not able to play, or ladies that don't play. They offered my group use of a pool that sits to the left of the field and offered the girls and 3 yo that came with us an enjoyable atmosphere which otherwise would have been filled with boring "when are we going home" talk.
14. Johnny and the crew have weekly night games and various scenario formats, to include an All vs Staff defending the Alamo, sometime in October. they welcome players to comment and suggest new ideas for their field, and constantly work to improve the layout.
For anyone tired of reading this review, I hope you at least found it helpful. For anyone looking for a semi-local field to try in the Austin, TX area, I strongly encourage you to try Leander Paintball out. If you live more than an hour out and can't find a field any closer, the experience is well worth the drive. I live in south Austin, and it took me about 50 minutes to get there, in the morning BEFORE 9 am on a Wednesday. Austinites, you know what kind of traffic that is on I-35N! This little rating scale only goes to 10, but Leander Paintball performs well above the standard. Here's a list of phone number for the Field. I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions I haven't covered. try them out, it's worth it!
For all other questions or for Technical Services please call:
Johnnie Morgan, Owner: 924-6770
Nancy Leek, Owner/Sales: 560-6113
Shawn Curry, Technical: 426-9913
Tim E. Leek, Owner: 560-5884
Also, to clarify the last post....They do indeed take credit cards now, to include items from the proshop. They recommended to my group that we should call before coming out on weekends to play night games. The summer months tax players greatly during the day, so it's up in the air how many people will stay or show up later in the day/evening. Heading back out there again very soon. If you are reading this review, try to make it out in October if you're around the Austin area...Johnnie says the Alamo has yet to be taken from the staff defending it. And I want that Alamo!
Last edited on Thursday, August 27th, 2009 at 3:14 pm PST
TX PB - bigger and more variety... but you pay a heck of a premium. Personally, there are only two things that TXPB has LPA doesn't: Trenches and a speedball court.
Directions to the Field:
If you've got it, use a GPS. It's easy to see if you find the right road :P
I have to echo the earlier reviews for this field. It's not the fanciest place, but Tim and the rest of the crew make you feel right at home.
The prices are great! For the first time in my life, a field _recommended_ you bring your own paint. We didn't, and were getting cases of Heat for $34. Admission/ Air is $10, and rental is another $10. The rentals are spyders with JT masks, and in good repair. They have CO2 and HPA, also.
The field is set on 2.3 acres, and all of it is used in one big field. There are four structures on the field: a two story castle, a three story structure with a bunkered first floor and a crows nest, a guardhouse on stilts, and a crackhouse on the far end of the field. There are improvised barricades from spools, tires, plywood, and natural blinds. There are large chunks of wooded area threaded with trails, a nice dry creek with a bridge, and a couple of wrecked cars. The field could easily accomodate a 20v20, and
would still be fun at 30v30. Playing 8v8 made the field seem almost empty. It took at least two or three minutes from the start of each game before the first skirmishes.
Saturdays are the day to play if you're looking to come in solo for some pick up play. Tim mentioned they don't stay open on Sundays during the summer (too hot), so people tend to forget they open all weekend in the winters. I took a group of eight in on a Sunday morning and we played uninterrupted for about 3 hours. Then another group of eight came in and we played the rest of the day.
They apparently have night games once a month (check the website), and run scenarios periodically on a nearby 6 acre plot. They currently have one called "Billy the Kid" in the middle of December (08).
The only word of warning I have is: BRING CASH. They don't take cards, and the nearest ATM is at least 15 minutes away. Tim was nice enough to take my buddy's check, but i don't know if that's policy.
Number of fields: 7/10 (only 1 field, but it can be arranged for nearly any type of play)
Size of fields: 11/10
Variety of fields: 7/10 (see number of fields)
Design of fields: 9/10 (see number of fields!)
Field improvements: 9/10 (the crack house could use some work, but everything else was well positioned and in good shape)
Field Staff: 10/10 (friendly, helpful, and happy to have you there)
Safety: 10/10 (tight on safety, and don't have to scream about it)
Store: NA No store, but Ice cold gatorade for a buck a pop!
Pro-shop: NA No proshop
Final score: 72/80
Final rating: a 9.
I'm going back this weekend for a night game and I'll be back for the scenario! While I'll probably check out the rest of the fields in the area, this is the place I'll play most weekends. The prices can't be beat, and the crew make you feel at home.
(Austin)None that are still in buisness
I would like to begin by saying that this field is the ABSOLUTE, hands-down, the best field that I have been to. I know that seems a little exagerant, but in my experience it is the best. The field itself is bigger than I expected. Knowing that it is a smaller plot of land, I expected very small speedball courts, but it was surprisingly deceiving. There is plenty of natural cover and the man-made cover is incorporated with the natural cover very well. The field could easily accommodate a 20v20 if need be.
The very best part of the field is the caliber of people working there and playing there. They provided some of the best service that I have ever received anywhere, and I mean anywhere whether it's a paintball field or a grocery store, anywhere! As they say when you walk up, you get 30 minutes of guest privileges, but after that you are family. Everyone there is in it for the fun of the game. No egos to be seen anywhere. My friend who came along was interested in buy an Invert Mini from one of the regulars that was there. He was nice enough to not only give my friend an awesome price on it, he let him use it for a couple of rounds, taught him basically everything about the marker, let him borrow one of his HPA's and a Revy, and even told him that he would be out there every Saturday and that if my friend didn't have the money to get his own HPA or loader that my friend could just one of his extras every time he comes out on Saturday till my friend could gets his own.
Safety was very clearly explained and enforced. They will give a tour of the field and explain all their safety guidelines.
Their prices are amazingly cheap. I've been to fields that will just rack you over the coals on the prices but not LPA. I don't even know if they actually make that much money. Paint there starts at $30 for a case of heat, and like $35-40 for formula 13. None of the food is over $2, and if you want a burger or hot dog and they aren't made yet, you just ask and they cook it for you while you play a game and it's waiting for you when you return.
If you want to have one of the best paintball experiences that you can have with a bunch of people that play for the love of the game LPA is your place. No elitist. No little punks. If you have a big ego either check it at the door or don't come. This is a place for people who wanna have a great time and make some good friends. I will be making this field my new home field for most of my paintball outings. A field like this is when you need a rating that goes up to "11".
Texas Paintball. Texas PB may have more than one field, but there not as friendly as LPA.
Been going to this field for sometime. Love the people there. I go every saturday and enjoy it. The staff is really friendly and they know what there doing. They have incredible food available provided by there cook.
Safety: Barrel Plugs/Condoms a must. Dry Firing only in the staging area. Chrono checked 2-3 times within the field hours.
Refs: Refs are great. When there is no ref available they are based on the honor system.
Players: There all great! Everyone there I can trust.
Games: They just recently had 2 different scenarios. They where awesome.
If you plan on coming out and when you get there ask for Firefly.
A little confusing to find. The feild is actually behind a house and well disguised.
Safety - On par with most bigger fields. Goggles required in the field when other are out there. If everyone is staging and no guns are on the field you can walk them with out goggles.
Fields - A little different from most places. It has a type of speedball/woodsball setup. It makes for very interesting play and lots of cover and good spots to hide at. The regulars there were really friendly and made me feel welcome. Unfortunately not many people were there on that day but I got in a few games
Prices - $10 if you BYOP and includes all day air. They have good paint for purchase for good prices at the field as well.
Staff - The staff was extremely friendly and made me feel right at home my first time there. They had sausage wraps and gatorade for sale that was cheaper than any store.
Overall I'd recommend this field to anyone wanting a change of pace from the normal field. Everyone was very friendly and nice. I gave this field an 8 only because the lack of other fields to play on but its understandable since the owner only has so much land to work with.
Guru paintball.. it was okay, the refs were really young and didnt really pay attention. i'm used to that though.
I came out here with my friend who has been going to the field for some time now, and immediately i was shocked at the amount of cover available. This is a pretty intense field in terms of the massive amount of cover distributed all over the field. Its one big field that can be broken up into 2 shorter speedball fields. There is alot of woods to crawl around and snipe in, as well as open lanes to run through. It was weird at first to play with the combination of woods/speedball but it turned out to be alot of fun. We played several different scenarios such as respawn elimination, where if you get shot, you run back to the main base and respawn and play again. that game lasted forever. The owner, Tim is an excellent guy, and it only costs 10 bucks for air, and he'll soon have paintballs available at very decent prices. No refs at this field, its all based on the honor system. They might get refs later if the field continues to grow. I am scoring this field an 8, because it is just one field basically, so people looking for a wide range of variety might not like it. its definitely worth checking out at least once to see if you like it though!