Not the greatest place. I started playing here and i go back every now and then with friends bcuz its not very hard 2 get 2.
- 98 custom upgrade (however too few of them)
- large field
- dimly lit (depends on preferences, but sum areas are pitch balck and sum r lit up like a Christmas tree)
- lots of bunkers
- Staff r pricks (especially "the sarge"), however in all fairness they have 2 deal with idiot kids and stuck up owners, but they automatically assume that ur 1 of those 2 and treat u accordingly
- sand gets EVERYWHERE
- goggles r nice and scratched and very gd at fogging up (sumtimes within 2 mins of the start of a round)
- FILTHY, u cant play paintball wihtout getting dirty, however if u touch ANYTHING u will get paint on u . Also lots of mud in sum buildings (ur shoe will get stuck in it, so dont wear nice shoes)
- tiny and over priced pro shop
- ref is useless, they cant even c the whole field from their throne in the tower and they NEVER call anyone out
- one time there were 50+ ppl and they had a 12 year old kid as the ref...enough said
- teams are generally uneven
- they give u a piece of yellow police tape 2 attempt 2 distinguish teams, this is a serious issue since its a large field and u cant c weather sum 1 200ft away has a piece of tape on their arm or not. I once got shot by my teamates because i rushed in 2 the other side of the field. I usually just get pissed off and shoot anything that moves. Colored vests would b a far better option (although kinda wussy, but theyre probably too cheap), even colored coveralls would work well (which they have and charge $4 4).
- chrono tests r bs, they make u pay 4 the paint used in the test (which is 15$ per 100, u can get 200 4 under 8) and they once made me shoot 20+ shots, adjusting my RVA slightly after every few shots until finally taking it out completely
- 220 fps limit (so the kids dont get hurt?) makes all guns rather $h!tty
- ref made us play speedball accorss the lower field (which is pretty small) with atleast 50 ppl, the starting position was behind about 4 barrels. Not suprisingly we lost about 10+ ppl right off the wistle.
- the regular rental gun is complete crap, dont even bother going if ur not going 2 upgrade 2 the tippy
- although a tippy 98c is quite a decent gun, theirs are used and heavily abused and beaten 2 crap
- staging area is tiny
- too few lockers and theyre dirty
UPDATE: i think this place changed ownership, and the new owner seems to be taking steps to improve this place, so we will wait and c.
Last edited on Thursday, January 13th, 2005 at 12:37 pm PST
Alright honestly I have to say seeing this is the only place I been I can still right a legit review on it seeing as I have gotten to know the place well.
I'll keep it short and sweet.
when there is alot of people there its a pain things go slow and the gys behind the counter either goof off or get very rude. especially trying to organize all the kids on the field for a game, hell the setting up for the game almost takes as long as the game. and the damn paintball checks also take a long time, that wehn they go around and they check to see if they are using their paint or else ur kicked off.
I remember this one kid went up to get his co2 refilled and buy 200 paint. the guy behind the counter ina very reude tone demanded the money from the kid first and they grabbed his bottle and litterally threw the 2 bags of paint at the kid hitting him lightly at the chest. I honestly don't recall a sorry being said for it. I told my 2 friends about the incident right after so dont think im making this up.
But not all of the guys there are bad. the guy who runs the proshop is nice but sometimes he can be annoying and unco-operative.
when my nitro tank didnt work some of the other guys who worked there tried to get a nitro tank from one of their friends so i could borrow, so i thought that was very kind of them.
specifically the guy behind the counter called "junior" dont know if thats his real name, either can be a really nice guy to you or a pain in the ass so watch out.
alright as for the field, can be improved on. some areas are just these disgusting mixtures of mud and paint and if you dont watch out u can get seriously stuck in them and screwed. but generally seeing as i hate speedball and like games with more strategy and tactics i like the setup of their field and most of their games.
so ill have to give splatters a 7 out of 10. they can honestly improve on their pricing as well and be more like fusion paintball with their different specials each day. splatters can also try and improve on their customer service their might be some good guys there but stillit wouldnt hurt to just remind them without us they have no revenue.
oh yeah one more thing, so many wipers at splatters i must have masacred so many nubs and even rookie players but they refused to leave the field, so i must say need better refs and enforce the rules better. what can i say if they refuse to come off the field im gonna just pump a case of paint right into them and i dont wanna hear any complaining about it. let me also clairify, if its your very first time playing i can understand when you get hit for the first time maybe some confusion or whatnot but after you get hit the same game or games after that a couple of times u realize. so dont be cheap its an honor system, if you dont leave when you get shot and the paint does burst your ruining the game for everyone.
Last edited on Tuesday, February 15th, 2005 at 10:38 pm PST
Wow either i hit this place on a great day, or they are really starting to care about this place. The place was the cleanest i've seen it, mind you it has been 5 years since my last visit, but it used to be a real pig pen. The one thing that did not change is the staff are still some of the rudest people in the industry, but in their defence there was alot of people there, so maybe somebody ticked them off before we arrived.
The field has changed some from what i can remember, it seems bigger, but it is deffinately the best indoor senario field in TO. Some people hate the sand, but it was not that bothersom, and compared to Area 51 , i would have to say i prefer the gravel over sand. As for the lighting, i have always enjoyed the fact that is a dark field, makes the game a little more intense & the fact is, it is really not that dark, you can see end to end no problem.
the only problem of that day seemed to be a few owners were able to walk on the field without cronoing their guns, they seemed to know the staff & it was only after a few people were shot with HOT guns & complained about it, something was done. One guy left without cronoing his gun calling everybody p**sies and such, which might have been ok if everybody was able to raise their FPS, but there was kids on the field, and safty must come first.
I leave with this, if your reading reviews of this place don't go back to far as it looks like they are tring to clean this place up. i would deffinately recomend this place over Area 51, at least as it stands now.
i give it a 9 out of ten
p.s. on mondays it is half price, for owners it is 2.50 to enter and 7.50 per 100 balls, sorry don't know how much if your renting
Area 51 - the field is relatively cleaner and more well lit, paint is also cheaper too; but in my experience there's usually only ONE ref and ONE clerk at the desk, so play can be really slow at times.
I don't know what the staff changeover rate is at this place, I average about 2 to 4 sessions per month (I try to always go on Mondays' cheap nights).
In regards to other peoples' reviews about how nice or rude the staff are. Well, there's truth and there's exaggeration there. It's kinda hit and miss: some of the staff can be quite rude, but many of them are quite nice too.
If you go on Monday nights, then of course you're going to get slow service because its crowded. There are usually three staff there, sometimes four. On a night when there's only 16 people playing, versus a night when there're 40+ people playing? You do the math :-)
If you go on Tuesday nights, when most of the amatuer/pro teams come out to practice, then of course you're going to have to tolerate some rudeness and profanity from the staff because come on, a lot of these spoiled brats / arrogant S.o.B.s are total jerks. If you're going to act like a jerk, you deserve to be treated like a jerk.
If you go on Weekends, when some families bring their kids and such to play. Then be prepared to *really* watch your mouth. The vast majority of readers won't believe this, but I've seen a ref kick out a player because he wouldn't stop trash talking and swearing, and after multiple moms and dads complained, the idiot finally got the boot.
As for the proshop, you have to be realistic in terms of what you're comparing the proshop to:
If you compare the Sgt. Splatters' proshop to other proshop's in Toronto, some of their stuff is pretty sweet, and a few are ridiculously overpriced. No surprise here.
If you compare the Sgt. Splatters' proshop to other online shops, then of course practically their whole shop is overpriced. But consider this, if you buy online, you have to pay shipping, and possibly brokerage fees, plus time delay. If you buy in store, you get in store advice/opinions, you get see what you're going to buy before you actually buy it.
So you can buy a VForce Profiler mask from the proshop for $120 Cdn. Or you can gamble on the exchange rate plus border crossing problems by ordering from a US dealer, and after waiting up to two weeks for delivery, you *might* save $6 or $7. Who cares?!?! If you're counting pennies like this when shopping for paintball gear, then good grief you shouldn't be playing paintball, especially considering you have to constantly repurchase your supply of paint as you play anyways!
As for the field itself, some people will love it, some will hate it. The flooring is sand, with mostly wooden sheds; there's a few busted up cars, plus a building on one end of the field. It is very very very, very different from Area 51.
Give Splatters at least one visit before you decide to love it or hate it. I give Sgt. Splatter's an 8 because I prefer Area 51 just a little bit more. But I haven't tried out Premium Paintball yet, so I want to leave room to give a 9 and a 10 to these other fields just in case.
Addendum February 20, 2005
They've put in new bunkers, built from real bricks now. I think it's pretty sweet. I would add a funny phenomenon that's happening:
- The rental regulars (non-gun owners who play regularly) seem to be head hunting the pistoliers, everything someone or a group of someones come in with pistol, it feels like these regulars sudden become so sadistic about eliminating a pistol player. lol
- The pistoliers on the other hand, seem to be head hunt the other gun owners and pretty much ignore the rental regulars. lol
I just find such observation amongst paintballers to be very amusing at this field :-)
Last edited on Saturday, February 19th, 2005 at 10:26 pm PST
Don't go here if you don't want to be treated horrible. There are only 2 ok things there. Arcade games, and ok paint. Other than that it is horrible. When u get a chronograph, you have to use your own paint if you have it, and its too loud. Also stafff, are very rude. Also its very expensive. Iv'e gotten paint from other places for 4$. The rentals are horrible too. The guns are very bad and the rate of fire.... there practically is none. The field isn't good either . There is no lighting, or barely any.
-free magic anti fog spray
-free paper towels
-unguarded barrel condoms
-explaination of what paintball is
-supposed to be the biggest indoor feild in Canada
-slow staff. ( i think the black guy with the locks hates chinese people since he always serves me last)
-unfair staff ( like other reviewers, the staff never kick out players that have been shot)
- expensive rentals( rentals arent that good either, winchester markers, & for an upgrade, tippy 98. Masks are so unsafe)
-little space in lobby( you dont have alot of room to prepare, do matinence)
-teams arent really divided fairly.
-proshop is pricey.
-feild is too dark
-SANDY( dirties your marker)
-very dirty( mud composed of sand and paint everywhere)
-other minor cons...
NEVER EVER GO HERE UNLESS YOUR RENTING!......This was my first and last time at this field!!!!!!
this field really really sucks and for 2 reasons only...the field is all sand & its got really bad refs. i went there today for my first time and i liked the field it was a nice setup but its all sand...parts of it like mud from being mixed with paint. the sand it self didnt bother me so much but i was covered with it and my gun was full of it. even tho i have a rocket cock 2 that makes my 98custom a closed bolt....IT STILL GOT IN!!! since i dived a few times! the refs are really bad i shot like 2 little kids right infront of the ref tower and he never said anything....the kids never called out till i shot them like 9 times....the refs sit there and do nothing!
i guess this field is ok if your going there to rent a marker but NEVER EVER take your own marker there the sand will get it and screw things up. i had to take apart my marker as soon as i got home and clean it for a half hour b4 all the sand came out.............
but anyways this field has a nice setup and the staff were nice to me...i just dont like how the refs do there job and sand+paintball should never mix!!!
first of all to let you all know, don't bother reading the older reviews off older then a year old cause this place changed it wouldn't be fair to judge it just b/c it use to be a bad field, this place overall is pretty good, the best place to have a group party or just have fun but some pros or some experienced players might not like it because of several reasons:
- too much players sometimes (which some experienced players don't like)
- about 70% of the players are playing for the first time
- and some other stuff like the refs and stuff like that
- really dirty
But i personally have no problem with it, from the reviews before you might noticed allot of bad reviews about the refs but that changed now, the new refs are very strict and rude, which is a good thing they will kick you out if you don't follow the rules unlike the ones before. But never go to the pro-shop they have nothing there! i went in to get a bottomline set up and they didn't even have that!
- refs are strict about safety rules
- the tippmans are a good price to rent
- a massive indoor field
- field is not like others it's like a city inside
- half price: all day Monday and until 4pm on other weekdays
- different kinds of game types (ref sometimes lets the player pick)
- usually even teams
- full of experienced players and first timers
- free co2 and hpa fills
- rents overalls
- refs are sometimes rude
- limited supplies of tippmanns, if they run out you're stuck with the nasty guns
- if it's not half price it's pretty expensive
- worst paint I've ever used in my life (alway2 over sized even for their own guns)
- pro shop is as small as my room! (and it's usually closed)
- place is very very very very dirty (but that's paintball for ya =D)
- after a game there's always some noob complaining.
- vending machine's usually empty (so you got nothing but toilet water to drink)
- lockers are dirty (and expensive to use one unless you bring your own lock)
- takes too long to get a game started
First of all this was my first time playing paintball. I was on a trip to toronto with my parents. Me and my brother nagged my parents finally on the last day we where there to take it. And boy, was it worth it!
Im goign to put it it pros and cons point format cause im lazy.
- Rental Guns can be upgraded to old tippy model 98 ( not flatline) for 5 bucks, even though there old they work like there fresh form the factory ( good old yippys)
- Rentable coveralls with sleeves very useful
- Excellent refs strict but good at explaining games and stuff
- Half priced mondays ( which means lower prices)
- Amazing field layout and cool 2 story bunkers
- Sand is pretty messy and hard on guns, etc.
- Guys behind teh counter can be a little grumpy but you dont deal with them for very long anyway
- The paint prices can be a bit pricy 100 paintballs for 15$ (except for on mondays)
- Can be pretty hard to find if your not familiar with the area
So what a think, just a note about the paint prices. I thought taht id blast through 100 paintballs in less then 5 minutes. It ended up lasting me a whoel hour! I was doing so pretty heavy duty shooting at times too. Weird.
Overall rating I give this field a 9.2/10 (yes very technical) the reason I didnt give it ten is the grumpy service peoplle and the paint prices if not on mondays.
It was a great time! I would reccomend this field!
Area 51---Not as good. Rentals bit better and cheaper, and Pro shop better, but this field is better, but more dirty
Premium Paintball--- Pretty good
I have to say this field is pretty good, if u exclude the fact that it is extremely dirty and muddy. But aside from that, this field rocks. Very large, very good games. But the staff aint too too friendly. When you come here, bring boots or shoes that are old and that you dont mind getting all dirty.
Yeah, some people say that the rentals suck, but with $5 extra dollers you get to upgrade it to a Tippman Custom 98!!!
PS) when i said the staff aint too friendly, im not talking about the referees. The referees are good being strict. Though the men at the counter with all the markers and stuff, they are sometimes rude. One time my rented mask broke and i asked for another one. He gave me a really rude look and gave me another mask. Oh well. Also people are saying that they do help you fix ur gun even if its not rented. That aint true. They only fix it if it's theirs.
Overall, i give this a 8.5/10. the 1.5 i took off was for the mud and staff at the equipment counter.
Last edited on Monday, October 11th, 2004 at 9:42 am PST