Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Masks (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Mask With Glasses? (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126778)

House_Monkey 03-12-2003 11:08 AM

Mask With Glasses?

I usually wear glasses with my mask, and my current mask just isn't cutting it. The mask is not wide enough so it puts pressure on the sides of my glasses, jamming them into my face or tilting them to the side, resulting in a distorted
view....what I'm trying to say is this, does anyone know a mask that is compatable with glasses without being massively bulky?

-Thanks for your time :freak:

Exit Woundz 03-12-2003 11:44 AM

Any V-Force, Raven, or the Proteus. I have small framed glasses and they even fit okay in an Invision, even though Dye doesn't recommends it. :| V-Force is the best choice for glasses, and they aren't that big compared to an Invision.

Jaster 03-12-2003 12:45 PM

V-force!! Plenty of room for glasses. It's the only mask I've tried that's fits over glasses comfortably.

House_Monkey 03-12-2003 01:34 PM

Thanks much, V-Force it is then!

suxmacocker 03-12-2003 02:18 PM

Any JT Spectra mask work great with glasses.The Proteus is the sweetest.

Zophiel 03-12-2003 04:52 PM

V-Force Shield or Morph, by far over any JT goggles. :)

Although, with the JT goggles you can get frames mounted inside the goggles themselves. But that costs like an extra $100, and is SO not worth it. Especially when the V-Force Shield/Morph goggles work so well with glasses.

AK47 03-12-2003 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by suxmacocker
.The Proteus is the sweetest.
so is the price
:|

BOB_IS_COOL 03-14-2003 06:57 AM

Teh spectra 260 works great with my glasses and I never fog up. and its cheap. I saw it someware for $35...

Zophiel 03-14-2003 07:07 AM

PBGear.com - $35.99 or something.

I still suggest the V-Force Shield. $40 at PBGear, and much less hassle to clean and work with. JT goggles are infamous for how difficult it is to change their lenses. With V-Force, it's just pop-out-pop-in in less than twenty seconds. Plus the Shield comes with neck protection, and its lenses aren't as fragile (the thermal inner lenses on the Spectra can be easily scratched and can get water in them).

reneirwolf878 03-14-2003 07:59 PM

JT spectra's and the flex's and vforces are the best with my glasses.

Aglar 03-15-2003 08:56 PM

Yup, same here. Not a single complaint.

PacBell 03-17-2003 06:31 PM

For those of you who don't have to wear glasses you don't know how lucky you are - seriously. I've attempted to play with glasses, and I have finally given up. I wear a Proteus, and it was an ok fit with my glasses. Problem was when I moved my head fast (snap shooting, quick looks, etc), the sides of my glasses would "tap" the lens. After a day of playing, I had scratches on both sides inside my lens! I switched to another pair of glasses that were smaller, and didn't have the problem any more (although the damage was done). So, make sure you can jerk your head around without tapping the inside of your lens.

However, in this paintballers humble opinion, playing with glasses absolutely sucks. You can try to use the anti-fog stuff, and it works for a while. However, you can't use it on glasses that have the anti-reflective coating, otherwise the AR coating will dissapear, FYI. Another thing I found was that when I first put on my goggles, and had the anti-fog spray on my glasses, no problems. It worked well. However, if you happen to have extended play (more than one game basically), I did either fog or somehow manage to get sweat to drip on my glasses, which screwed up my vision immensely. What's the use having anti-fog gogs when you're pretty much screwed wearing glasses?

So, I made the switch to contacts. I know they seem expensive, but really it's a good investment. Just get your prescription, go to 1800contacts.com or somewhere like that, and get some cheap disposable contacts. I only use them for paintball, so the "30 day use" contacts will last me for 30 days of paintballing (unless I wear them for other reasons, which I don't). The cleaning/storage solution stuff is pretty cheap (get generic brand stuff), and there you go, you're all set.

I played with contacts for my first time recently, and I can't even begin to tell you how much better it was. It's SO worth it. I will always bring by glasses to the field as a back-up, but I doubt I'll ever wear them again in play.

That's my experience - hopefully you can benefit from it.

PacBell

Magical Pants 03-17-2003 06:44 PM

I keep trying to get my dad to let me use contacts, but he insists that they can damage my eyes. Sucks.

Anyways, for glasses I'd suggest a V-Force. After all, my xXxtremely thick glasses of DOOM fit quite nicely inside my new V-Force Armor.

And as for an description of how thick my glasses are, if you shine a flashlight on them correctly lasers shoot out the other side. Well, maybe not, but damn close.

suxmacocker 03-17-2003 06:52 PM

Try Sports Goggles with the elastic straps.Thats what i use and i have no problems with scraching the lens on the Mask like my glasses use to do.As for fog i use J&J baby shampoo with no tear formula on my sports goggles and i dont get fog for a good long while.I might have to clean my sports goggles lens 2 times a day of play with the baby shampoo.

reneirwolf878 03-18-2003 02:22 AM

Vforce and jt spectra and flex's work well with glasses. The thing with the proteus is that it is the smallest profile mask on the market, glasses arent going to work too well with it.

Zophiel 03-18-2003 08:02 AM

Proteus uses the same lens as the Spectra and Flex. Glasses will work just as well for the Proteus as those two. The thing that makes the Proteus "low-profile" is that its lower face protection doesn't extend as far down as other goggles.

PacBell 03-18-2003 08:24 AM

I have a Vforce Shield as well - glasses work better inside that mask overall, but still doesn't fix the issue of glasses fogging, getting sweat on them, etc

Suxma - how much do those sports gogs cost? I figure for the price you pay for those, contacts would possibly be cheaper and you get more benefit out of it. If you have astigmatism (like me) they're about $80.00 for a pair, but if you don't, you can get them for like $50.00 a pair. So, for that price, it's just worth it to me to stay with contacts.

Magical - that sucks that in this day and age, with all the information out there, that your dad thinks that contacts can damage eyes. Without being too disobedient to him, any way you can ask him where he gets his information from?

The only information relating to contacts damaging eyes would be (as quoted from this source )

"Most contacts should not be worn while you are sleeping. Sleeping with your lenses in your eyes may damage your eyes by keeping the cornea from getting enough oxygen. Also, it may put you at risk for infection. For extended-wear lenses, follow your eye doctor's recommendations for the length of time you can safely leave the lenses in your eyes. "

So, maybe that will help you in getting contacts. Again, it's just so worth it - makes a ton of difference. It's something worth saving for.

PacBell

Zophiel 03-18-2003 08:32 AM

Contacts can also cause cataracts, but that's only if you're a lazy bum and don't take good care of them.

PacBell 03-18-2003 08:48 AM

Zophiel - just curious where there's research & data on that statement that contacts can cause cataracts...

PacBell

Zophiel 03-18-2003 10:59 AM

It was either cataracts or eye infections, now that I think about it. Whatever it was, I got it word-of-mouth from my eye doctor.