Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stolen Equipment (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Tips for Safeguarding your gun. (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209238)

PMI_Guy 02-26-2004 06:10 AM

Tips for Safeguarding your gun.

Don't want your baby in somebody else's hands? Try these tips.

Engrave your name and number on th inside of your grip.

Laptop security devices work wonders for guns and bags.

Write down your serial numbers and take pictures of your gun.

See what your home owners insureance covers for property (some companys, if the gun is worth over $1000, will cover up to 1% of your home's value)

Get a large gear bag. Some one is much less likely to take a smaller travel bag than a huge 40lb gear bag.

For your bag, get a master lock. Put your paint, gun, etc in there between games.

If you have a car, lock your stuff in there between games.

A simple bell on your gun or bag between games can help draw attention.

Keyfinders. (kinda like the clapper light thing)

A bike lock. Chain your gun to a post or pole.

Have a good friend or realitive watch your stuff while your away.

Don't step out of sight of your equipment, if possible.

Keep a record of your pictures of your gun as you upgrade.

Just carry it with you.

Feel free to add more, i'll edit this and add em.

ace6160 02-26-2004 03:38 PM

Take updated pictures every time you add something new

Have someone you know watch your stuff

1 Evil Package 02-26-2004 05:58 PM

tell the owners at the clerk table to hold it while ur gone

carry it with you when ur not playing(off the field)

yakitori 02-28-2004 03:13 AM

Keep an eye on your stuff from a distance, so ppl dont know youre watching. Look out for the ppl who are eyeballing your gun, and watch them for the day. If something does come up missing, you know who to look for. Kinda like baiting the thief. that will give you a reason to take legal action etc. and they may be banned from the field.

Kowz_76 02-28-2004 06:18 AM

Re: Tips for Safeguarding your gun.

Quote:

Originally posted by PMI_Guy
Get a large gear bag. Some one is much less likely to take a smaller travel bag than a huge 40lb gear bag.
Don't you mean they're more likely to steal a small gear bag? I like the bell idea. You could also get your gun custom painted to make it more obvious should it get stolen.

hybrid-sniper 02-28-2004 11:16 AM

Im going to use the lock on the bag now, sounds like a good plan.
Make sure you choose a good spot in the staging area if possible, like away from the exits but out of the main traffic areas and still be able to keep an eye on it from certain areas.

Justin The Pyro 02-29-2004 01:57 PM

Take everything you need and nothing more, no gun oil, no chrono, no extra barrels, keep all paint in your pods. Keep your gun with you at all times. If anything got stolen than it'd be something minor like a squeegee, instead of your backup gun that never seems to serve its purpose.

AR55 MtM 03-02-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Justin The Pyro
Take everything you need and nothing more, no gun oil, no chrono, no extra barrels, keep all paint in your pods. Keep your gun with you at all times. If anything got stolen than it'd be something minor like a squeegee, instead of your backup gun that never seems to serve its purpose.
thats what i do except when im going to a tournment this month thats when i bring my my cheap back up

MOTORCYCLERACER 03-05-2004 07:53 PM

"Keep an eye on your stuff from a distance, so ppl dont know youre watching."
It wouldnt hurt if they KNEW you were watchin...if they kno ur watchin...they arent stupid enough 2 take it

tobhpem 03-13-2004 07:06 AM

But i need my squeegie =/ lol

I'm gonna start putting a lock on my bag too now.

And that whole bike lock to a pole thing is kinda weird....i'd laugh if i saw a pb gun locked to a pole with a bike lock..heh

AirJet 03-13-2004 08:10 PM

You could put a walky talky in your bag, and talk through everyonece in a while or have a tape recorder in it constantly saying something. No body is going to want to pick up a bag while something is making noise in it.

Lopez17 03-16-2004 04:14 PM

Or put rabid and feral animals in the bag. The can strike out at the would be thief when they open the bag. Something aggressive like a badger or a wolverine.

grizwald 03-18-2004 05:18 PM

Put some kind of obvious deterant like a what I did: I took a film canister, filled it with lead fishing weights or "sinkers" (enough that they don't shake", cut the rim off of the lid (so it is nice and smooth), super glued the top on, attached a coiled piece of wire I found somewhere, and wrote in white metalic gel pen the words "Tracker 2000" on it, and glued it to my gear bag. He, he I saw one guy checkin out my gear then he looked at it, looked around paranoidly, and left

+ I carry my gun EVERYWHERE no exceptions, and I have my friends watch my stuff if they are there, if not, I have to live without B-room for a while:mad2:

smegle5 04-03-2004 06:40 PM

hey this thread is awesom, should b stickied

dantriggerhappy 04-18-2004 07:23 AM

ideas

This is an expensive alternative, but my friend is getting his intimadator trigger, barrel, snatch grip, pull pin, and eye covers anodized a hot pink :D And most theives are relatively stupid.
Dan

PaintballMann07 04-26-2004 04:08 PM

GET ONE OF THOSE CHEVY TRUNK MONKEY"S EVER SEEN THE TV COMMERCIALS>>>>>HAHA:laugh:

BlackNight52 04-30-2004 04:52 AM

-Leave your carrying bag/case in a certain way. Like put one strap over another, etc. So if someone touches it, odds are they won't remember where the straps were set up. Doesn't help prevent it, but it will help identify when/where you lost ____.

-In any extra jars/cans of paint, write "Chrono Paint" or something to that effect on there. No point in stealing bad paint.

-Dont bring huge amounts of paint. If you only spend a case per day, dont bring out 2-3.

-Just an addition to leaving your stuff with an employee:
Give them like a password or something so no one can just go in there and say "Oh, thats mine." and walk away with it.

-Label EVERYTHING. Label your hopper, label your gloves, label your pods, EVERYTHING.

-When I go, I normally meet an older adult who can be trustworthy. (One even let me use his cell to order pizza)
Place your stuff next to him/her so he/she is able to watch over it for you when you or your friends can not.

SPPaintball 05-15-2004 03:45 PM

But with the keyfinder, if its clapper key finder, would it beep every time a marker was shot?

MaLfUnCtIoN 05-17-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SPPaintball
But with the keyfinder, if its clapper key finder, would it beep every time a marker was shot?
that would suck so bad.

weatherbug33 05-19-2004 09:59 AM

this is a great post... i have been using these tips but i have just thought of another one. i am currently putting a note in the frame of my gun where your hand goes and whoever finds my gun if i lose it will call the number on it