Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tippmann (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Tippmann A-5 Flatline Barrel Bore Size (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223695)

Greedy 04-21-2004 09:56 AM

Tippmann A-5 Flatline Barrel Bore Size

I really didnt want to make a thread about this because it's just a picture but Tura feel free to do whatever you like with this.

This shows the A-5 Flatline Barrel to be 0.6955 Bore (that's 6,955 ten-thousandths of an inch):

I know everyone is going to ask where I got that bore sizer, well it's a Calliper or a Chronometer. That's all I know. This one is very accurate and costs around $80.

Enjoy everyone, I know it's just a riveting post.

Turambar 04-21-2004 05:16 PM

Nice. I'll put this in the Ultimate.

Henry VIII 04-22-2004 03:56 PM

It doesn't really matter to me either way because I hardly ever use my flatline, but don't you guys think you should measure more than just one flatline before you put it into the ultimate, just for the sake of accuracy? I know that would be kind of inconvenient, but how do we know that the bore size of Greedy's flatline isn't, for some strange reason, larger/smaller than the average flatline barrel?

Just a thought.

Greedy 04-22-2004 05:03 PM

I know what you mean. Variances and whatnot. Some may be smaller others may be larger.

We just have to depend on Tippmann's Quality Tolerances and hope othe Flatlines aren't far off from this one.

But hey, I'm sure Tura, nor myself, or anyone for that matter, is stopping anyone from submitting their own for comparison.

tacticalp8nt 04-22-2004 05:05 PM

nice work greedy

Mamba2sfg 06-19-2004 11:01 PM

A bunch of us flatline barrel owners could measure our barrels at the front and rear and send in the results and then an average could be gleaned from the numbers. It will be within Tippmanns tolorences I suspect. If that number could be found it would work as well.

Mamba2sfg 06-19-2004 11:12 PM

Sorry, BTW, those are digital calipers. I use simular tools in my current trade as a CNC machinist. They are accurate to plus or minus .001 a human eyelash is about .003 in diameter.

Small hole or telescoping gauges would be a more accurate way to measure the bore of the barrels. These are then checked with micrometers. High quality mics, as we call them, run plus or minus .0005

To measure it properly, one would measure in several different places around the circumfrence. If the bore is not round it will be evident this way.

Satanicsanta090 06-20-2004 05:27 AM

I dont think the tippmann quality control would be so bad as to make the flatlines noticibly different in bore sizes.

ace6160 06-20-2004 08:00 AM

I didn't think that flatline was that big bore.

Greedy, you should measure other flatlines, and see if they're the same.

Mamba2sfg 06-20-2004 09:21 AM

I've been working in the industrial manufacturing process for the last 8 years with 4 different companies. These ranged from a heavy truck hardware manufacturer to the company that make M16's and other weapons for the US Government, FNMI.

Everything that's made has a tolerance. The tolerance size depends on what the item is used for. The truck parts would be as big as +/- [plus or minus] .030 and as small as +/- .003.

On the other hand, the weapon parts were much closer. Some items would run +/- .00005. Any parts not within this range were discarded or reworked.

Tubing and pipe are some of those items that can also have a percentage tolerance. Like wall thickness is a percentage of the diameter. Or the inside diameter is a percentage of the outside diameter.

The tubing the flatline barrels are made from probably comes in long sections and is cut to length, checked for size, bent, checked for size and then bead blasted on the inside and checked again for size. It would most certainly have to start out larger than .6800 because it would need to be that size in its smallest bend to allow a .68 ball to pass through. Metal does strange things when you bend it. The measure we get on either end is not what is in the rest of the barrel. I'm sure they have a liberal tolerance due to the variation in paint sizes. They know and we should know this is not a rifle barrel.

This is why one person gets a super barrel and one person gets one that sucks. Remember, when a green car breaks down on you that doesn't mean all green cars are bad, just that one. This same thing goes in life.

Keep in mind the paint also has a tolerance. After it leaves the controlled environment of the factory the paint changes. The amount varies by different amounts. Think of the difference in shell thickness, fill volume, humidity where you are and a hundred other things that will influence how that little ball comes out of the barrel. I'm amazed that any of this stuff works at all. When you get a combination that works with your setup, stick with it. My rig may not like your components. That doesn't mean you are dumb or you components suck, its all tolerance!:D