Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Masks (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Modding your Profiler 101" (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366271)

SEAL34 05-01-2006 12:16 PM

"Modding your Profiler 101"

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HARM DONE TO YOU OR YOUR EQUIPMENT IN THE PROCESS OF DOING THIS MODIFICATION.

It seems that as of late modding Profilers has become a popular thing to do. I've spotted countless NXL and PSP guys sporting them this year and looking great doing so. So now it's filtered down to us, the next generation, and I thought I might assist anyone interested in doing this. Just be sure that before you do this you check with your local field/league that they will allow it. Some will not.

__________________________________________________ _______________
The first step is to cut off the stock, rubber ears. This can be done by first taking apart your 'Filer. Take out the lens and strap. You can use a razor, exacto knife, or scissors to do this. There are two ways to do this. The first, you can leave a rim of rubber around the plastic, like so:

The other way is to cut the rubber completely off (Devilstar2k2 of PbN):

Now to the ears and strap. Obviously regulation JT soft ears are the main choice for this. Most people will use the small Spectra style or get a set of large Spectra ears and cut them down. I did the second. Although, soft ears can at times be hard to find, so there is another option. "Foamies" are custom made soft ears that work just as well and look even hotter most of the time. I make custom foamies, and would be happy to build some to meet your specs. Here are some examples of foamies:

On a 'Filer
Some of my custom ones

So whether you use foamies or JT ears, the next step is to be done the same way. Get some zip ties, your soft ears, and the strap you'll be using. Run the zip ties through the screw holes on the ears and through the clip. I oriented it so that the hard, square hard part wasn't sticking in, as it can get painful. The picture will hopefully make this a little clearer. Cut off the excess and adjust vertically as you see fit. When they're done it should look like this:

Putting a new strap in is pretty self-explanatory. Take out the stock one and put in the new one. It might take some effort, but is completely possible.

The last step is assembling your now uber-hot headgear. Simply clip in the strap again. If the ears don't look right, just slide the zip ties up and down until they do. Here's my finished product:

Hope this helps!

EEric22 05-02-2006 06:45 PM

Sticky!

volcom0729 05-02-2006 07:09 PM

yeah sticky.they also have on the Proflex and I3s/Invisions on PBN.

-anyway, i always wanted to mod my filer like this, but i feel like im gonna mess up and just ruin it.

Zofarr 05-02-2006 07:42 PM

Seal I Decree you Queen of Mods. Excellent mod :tup: I like how you Didn't mess around with the lens or the most important areas of the mask.

Tabris17 05-02-2006 09:44 PM

I crave front pics and pics of someone wearing the modded mask just so I know how it looks.

Cerealkillerz 05-03-2006 11:14 AM

I plan on buying filers just to do this BTW.
Does it leave you cheek unprotected tho?
Or not anymore than E-vents?

hybrid-sniper 05-03-2006 01:02 PM

Excellent work.
Remember, not every field allows modified masks so this is a "Do at your own risk" mod.

Stickied!

SEAL34 05-04-2006 03:26 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try to get some pics of me wearing my mask and I'll post them up. Before doing this, just keep in mind, like hybrid said, that not all fields will allow a modded mask, even though a soft-ear'd Flex is worse than a modded 'Filer (:rolleyes:). I know I've seen a lot of NXL guys with them, Russian Legion especially.

Cerealkillerz 05-04-2006 03:37 PM

Answer My Question SEAL.
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

SEAL34 05-04-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerealkillerz
Answer My Question SEAL.
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Patience young man. I'll get some pics of it on mah gorgeous head tonight.

Cerealkillerz 05-04-2006 03:42 PM

Arrg.
Have you worn events to compare them to?

volcom0729 05-04-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Arrg.
Have you worn events to compare them to?

are you comparing the modded profiler to eventz/avatars or a stock profiler to eventz/avatar

cause i own both avatar(just picked up a red one hehehe) and a profiler.i can tell you that hte profiler has more cheek protection than the eventz/avatar stock.but im not sure after hte modded profiler.from the looks of it, the modded profiler has less cheek protection than the avatar.

Cerealkillerz 05-04-2006 04:07 PM

Yea i was going to have SEAL compare the modded filers to E-vents in the cheek protection area.
The Events don't have that much protection but I don't care.
I've worn them just not modded filers.
An i may buy my friends filers and mod them.

EDIT:Avatar=Meh ,Shoulda got E-vents there amazin

SEAL34 05-04-2006 04:13 PM

Ok, as soon as I find some batteries for mah camera, I'll get some pics up. In the meantime I'll run a search for another pic.

volcom0729 05-04-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Yea i was going to have SEAL compare the modded filers to E-vents in the cheek protection area.
The Events don't have that much protection but I don't care.
I've worn them just not modded filers.
An i may buy my friends filers and mod them.

EDIT:Avatar=Meh ,Shoulda got E-vents there amazin

yeah, i imagine em having little cheek protection seeing the profiler is already pretty limited on protection.and i dont care about eventz...just soft ears big whoop.both the same in design besdies soft ears and one saYS empire, the other says vents.u know it'll still be pretty agg rockin it at the field.they only had blue,black,and grey eventz at the shop and i wanted red so i just went with the avatars(which they had every color).

Cerealkillerz 05-04-2006 04:19 PM

Seal - KK THX

*cough *cough E-Vents

SEAL34 05-04-2006 04:22 PM

DyeGuyy_7 of PbN

That's the best I could find boys.

Cerealkillerz 05-04-2006 04:24 PM

no ears on it looks like enough protection.

soccerjacks12 05-04-2006 04:35 PM

I wouldn't wear that mask w/ no ears, definitely not enough protection. But you could hear perfectly:|

.:{}:. 05-04-2006 05:16 PM

another aggent i see. Well done!