Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   High-End Electronic Markers (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ion VS Promaster....please read (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387336)

shlurpee 09-22-2006 07:53 AM

Ion VS Promaster....please read

I think this argument goes back as much as electra vs ion. but after reading many threads and many reviews I cannot decide. I'm not much into spending $200+ only to find out that I need to spend another $50 -100 to get the marker working in good condition. So my question is Ion vs PM, I know PM has a slightly bigger kick, but ION has a crappy stock trigger and will need a qev. It seems like the stock board in PM is more adjustable than ION which would be nice. But the PM will need an ASA and hose. The ion is $200 while the PM is $225.

I know im going to get a ton of "look at this thread" which is fine, but if someone has shot both I want your opinion. Im not looking to updrade too much so the ION's massive aftermarket following really isn't exciting for me. I just want a #1 reliable, #2 accurate, #3 low maitenance/not hard to maintane, #4 fun maker.

DRCTHIRD 09-22-2006 11:46 AM

You mentioned about the Electra vs. the Ion....there's no comparison. the ion can way outperform the electra any day. The rocking trigger frame is overrated, and is very unreliable. Now, for the Ion vs. Promaster...I perfer the Ion over the Promaster simply because i have experience with the Ion. The Promaster is basicly the same gun except the body style. The Ion, on the other hand, will not come with the q-lock feedneck, and the HPA line, which is about a $80 value. If you want to use Co2 with the marker you will have to buy a remote line...you need this because liquid Co2 will run down and freeze the electronics. With the Ion, the QEV isn't a necessity, just an upgrade...and also the stock trigger is pretty damn good for a stock trigger.
I'd definatly go with the Smart Parts Ion.

Chairmonkey 09-22-2006 11:56 AM

The Promaster is the better gun out of the two.

dapaintball12 09-22-2006 12:58 PM

Promaster and there have been a thousand threads just like this.

shlurpee 09-22-2006 01:47 PM

Hey Scenario...no one forced you to read it.

scenariomaniac 09-22-2006 02:29 PM

so i just wish that people would look for other threads just like the one there about to post :mad: i mean theres one of these in the promaster thread, one in the ion thread, and about a gajillion in here :|

iliveforthis99 09-23-2006 01:54 PM

That statement could be worth ban scenario. Anyway it really comes down to personal preference between these two. The promaster is a great gun and only needs a new feedneck and asa out of the box. The ion is also great and you can get both a trigger feedneck, and qev for it for the price of the promaster. So it all comes down to feel really and if you intend to do much upgrading. If you like to upgrade then ion hands down but if then get the promaster. And also you might want to wait for the proto rail to come out and also look into the fusion.

babustos 09-23-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRCTHIRD (Post 3728608)
You mentioned about the Electra vs. the Ion....there's no comparison. the ion can way outperform the electra any day. The rocking trigger frame is overrated, and is very unreliable. Now, for the Ion vs. Promaster...I perfer the Ion over the Promaster simply because i have experience with the Ion. The Promaster is basicly the same gun except the body style. How can you say they're the same gun except body style? The Promaster is ram-driven, Ion is spool valve. Promaster is faster, and has a better board than the Ion. The Ion's trigger is magnetic while the Promaster's trigger is spring. They are two completely different guns.The Promaster, on the other hand, will not come with the q-lock feedneck, and the HPA line, which is about a $80 value. Only the 06 Ions I believe come with Q-lock, but even so thats just a $30 upgrade that the gun needs, the Promaster needs a feedneck, but after that it really doesn't need anything. Same thing goes for the ASA, its one of the few things a Promaster needs, and together a feedneck and ASA would cost approximately $65-ish.If you want to use Co2 with the marker you will have to buy a remote line...you need this because liquid Co2 will run down and freeze the electronics. And that doesn't apply to an Ion how? Sure a Promaster is faster so it will be easier to freeze up, but if don't have enough money for an HPA tank after buying a $250 gun, then you shouldn't have bought the gun in the first place(this excludes the possibility if HPA isn't an available fill source).With the Ion, the QEV isn't a necessity, just an upgrade...and also the stock trigger is pretty damn good for a stock trigger. The Promaster is more efficient than the Ion, so for the Ion to be as efficient or more efficient than the Promaster, you would lneed to get a QEV. And no the stock trigger is horrible IMO. I know a lot of people who would say the same.
I'd definatly go with the Smart Parts Ion.

mugenXP 09-23-2006 09:20 PM

since this have been talked about alot.. i'll keep it short here... Promaster. ion needs too many upgrading which gets overpriced. you can buy an ion, and a $100 B.O.B body. and you'll be at $300 already. and it still wont perform better than a promaster with a CP on/off and cp rail ($300) which is already aluminum and B.O.B. if you get the ion you'll still be stuck with the air hog and cheap trigger, cheap asa and what not.

and since the promaster is autococker thread, when you upgrade to a better gun there will be high chances that it'll be cocker threaded, so you can use one barrel kit for both guns.

Algernon 09-24-2006 02:35 AM

you shouldn't open your mouth unless you've shot both.

IMO: ion>pimp. ion>imp. ion>B2K. ion>angel LCD. ion>2K2 timmy.

i've shot those and i can stand by the above statement. unless the promaster shoots like an EGO, newer timmy or angel then i'm pretty sure i'd like the ion over a promaster too. i don't like popet valve markers with large cycling mass. i hate the way they feel.

some guys love popet valve markers and others hate spoolers. it's personal preference.

vdubdriver 09-24-2006 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Algernon (Post 3730713)
ion>2K2 timmy.

Ohhhh my god..... Are you serious?
I'm only going to defend the one I know about, but I know some of the other comparsions are false too.

crzypballer14 09-24-2006 07:22 AM

Quote:

Hard to believe you've shot a 2k2 Timmy and say the Ion is better...:dodgy:

dapaintball12 09-24-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

i've shot those and i can stand by the above statement. unless the promaster shoots like an EGO, newer timmy or angel then i'm pretty sure i'd like the ion over a promaster too. i don't like popet valve markers with large cycling mass. i hate the way they feel.

some guys love popet valve markers and others hate spoolers. it's personal preference.

This tells me he has never shot any of those guns except the ion. Back on subject, Babustos hit the nail on the head.

babustos 09-24-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

I highly disagree. But then again thats my opinion, and you have yours. I haven't shot all those guns, but its preference and obviously you like the Ion better than all of those. Shoot what you're considering buying and then decide.

mugenXP 09-24-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Algernon

I thought ion owners like you don't exist anymore. kinda sad there buddy.

shlurpee 09-24-2006 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the posts guys, I know this topic is covered in 100's of other threads.. I guess what i was really looking for was reassurance that either gun is really a good gun. I will prob go with the ION because the local shop carries and knows the ins and outs of it. But im going to shoot it and try out that trigger. If the trigger is really as bad as people say Im going with the PM for two main reasons...the milling is sick, I love it. Secondly I think the adjustable stock board is sweet also.

Thanks guys, oh and Adim...thanks for not deleting.

mugenXP 09-24-2006 12:53 PM

e-spyders trigger are better than the ion's.

iliveforthis99 09-24-2006 12:57 PM

No they aren't unless you mod them of course. You will probably not like the stock trigger so maybe look into the warrior trigger it's only $20. It's not the best trigger but it'll be better then the stock one.

mugenXP 09-24-2006 01:10 PM

no, i dont think you get it, an e-spyder trigger is better than the stock ion's trigger period. e-spyders are flat, aluminum. you can walk that much faster than the ion's curvy plastic trigger with a strong *** magnet

iliveforthis99 09-24-2006 01:38 PM

I disagree all the e-spyder triggers i've tried are always heavy and hard to walk. When i had the stock ion trigger it was fairly easy to walk. The shape of a trigger doesn't matter at all since it's personal preference. You can also take the magnet out of the ions stocker and hold it over a flame for a few seconds and it looses some of it's force. Or you can just leave it out completely.