Paintball Forums

Paintball Forums (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Worr Game Products (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Important Info: ALL MECHANICAL AUTOCOCKERS CAN USE CO2 (http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413857)

MecTurtleCocker 06-05-2007 06:35 AM

Important Info: ALL MECHANICAL AUTOCOCKERS CAN USE CO2

There have been far too many threads asking this question, and this is to put an end to them. Written by me, this is all the info you will ever need regarding Co2 usage with Mechanical Autocockers, and even Electronic models.

First off, you can buy any mechanical autococker, new in the box, and screw in a Co2 tank, and go play some paintball. It's as easy as that. Screw in the tank, go play. The marker will be more consistent than a Spyder, Tippy, or other low end that runs Co2 well, and if it's a newer autococker with a regulator, it will run Co2 even better, because they run at low pressure, and will be less subject to shootdown.

Now, if you are unhappy with the performance of just plain Co2 and your setup, there are a number of things you can do.

-Install an anti-siphon tube in your Co2 tank! I don't know how many times I've told people at the field to get anti-siphon tubes installed in their tanks. They are godsends, they help your marker so much!

-Use a remote line! If you're not installing anti-siphon, a similarly helpful, and slightly easier set up part is a remote line. Remotes are cheap, easily used by idiots, those who lack common sense, and killertip, etc., and most of all, keep that nasty liquid Co2 out of your marker, preventing shootdown, damaged seals, blown off lines, and velocity spikes.

-Buy a good regulating system! By far the best way to run Co2 on your cocker is with some good old Palmer's Stabilizers and Rocks. The best way to do it if you already have a sound regulator on your marker, such as a newer stock WGP model, get a Female Stabilizer. Your bottle screws right into it, and that little baby will keep all the liquid Co2 out, and give a constant and consistent flow to your inline regulator, which will act as if your marker is shooting HPA! For maximum performance, a total of 3 Palmer's Regulators should be installed. A Male Stabilizer, a Female Stabilizer, and a Rock LPR. Please search for these items in PbReview's Review System, and you will see that they are very coveted items.

Those are my tips for using Co2, and aside from the remote line, they are the setups I have on MY personal markers.

Please note that these concepts are not my own; they can be found in the various stickies in the forums, but I made this one to be directed at the newer cocker audience. In addition to this, these tips can all be used for electro cockers, it's just not the greatest recommendation, and remember, a total of 4 items must be installed to use Co2. A Male Stabilizer, a Female Stabilizer, an Anti-siphon, and a Rock LPR.

DO NOT MAKE THOSE IRRITATING POSTS SAYING "OMG MEC I <3 U TOTAL STICKY!" LEAVE THIS THREAD OPEN FOR QUESTIONS, NOT COMMENTS.

Uziel Gal 06-05-2007 10:39 AM

Only things that I would add are that I would personally recommend using an anti-syphon tube if you use a horizontally mounted bottle. I'm not recommending it as an improvement to the set up, I'm recommending it, period. WGP themselves state in the Autococker manual that horizontally mounted bottles should be equipped with anti-syphon tubes.

In relation to remote lines, remember that, while people state that a remote line acts like a long thin expansion chamber, this plays only a minor role in how the remote line keeps liquid CO2 out of your marker. Once that hose starts to chill down and frost over, it won't be helping much. The thing that really blocks the liquid is the fact that the bottle is mounted vertically, so the liquid CO2 is in the bottom of the bottle and the valve at the top. It's just gravity doing what gravity does best. The liquid CO2 can't jump up to the valve.

However, this does mean that you should avoid firing too much when crawling or laying down, as your bottle ends up horizontal (give or take), and if the bottle is more or less full, this could lead to liquid CO2 actually being pushed in to your marker by the gas pressure in the bottle.

As long as you keep liquid CO2 out of your mech Autococker, it will run just fine, and with the dual regulated set up Mec suggests, you can get levels of consistency approximating that which you would expect from an air system..... At least until the bottle freezes solid! ;)

black_angus1 06-05-2007 11:44 AM

DO NOT INSTALL AN ANTI-SIPHON IF YOU ARE USING A REMOTE!!!!

It will act as a siphon instead, and that means it will draw only liquid CO2, which is waaaay worse than using a regular CO2 tank without a/s with your Autococker, or any marker at all.

apbrendanw 06-25-2007 08:56 PM

im not entirely sure about this one but ive heard that the select fire trilogys can use co2. Correct me if im wrong on that info.

Wraithguard7 07-30-2007 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info. But I have a question on the effects after setting it up with CO2. My setup is a custom pump that is currently set perfectly for using a compressed air system. If I have to use CO2 with it, what changes should I expect to make? (The main reg is an old school Palmer Stab)

Note: I'm considering running it on CO2 because I sold my N2 tanks(not sure why...)

Any advice would be nice

Thanks,
John

park bench 07-30-2007 03:29 PM

I've never considered making any changes when running co2 or hpa, both are about the same pressure, and having that stabilizer just makes it better for you. You should just be able to plug and play, pumps will run on anything without problems, except the C3.

Uziel Gal 07-30-2007 03:39 PM

:nod: As long as the pressure in the CO2 bottle stays around 200psi above the pressure that your regulator is feeding to your marker, then flow rate and gas pressure should be maintained, and you shouldn't really see any difference in performance. It's only if the bottle starts to freeze and the pressure in the bottle plummets that you would have a problem.

As you are using a pump, flow rate really shouldn't actually be much of an issues, so as long as the pressure in the bottle doesn't fall below the pressure that the regulator is set to, you should still be alright.

So the same applies really - keep the liquid CO2 out of your marker, and you should be fine.

kingcole1 08-17-2007 11:50 AM

what kind of problems does liguid co2 in the gun cause? are we talking major damage or just seals o-rings? Am I safe to assume this a problem with all mech markers and just not 'cockers or do 'cocker suffer worse damage or more frequent problems?

Uziel Gal 08-17-2007 01:04 PM

Liquid CO2 will freeze the gun, cause velocity spikes, inconsistent velocity, and will damage o-rings.

The Autocockers reliance on an LPR, ram and 3-way to function, and the reliance on o-rings that these parts have, means that o-ring damage can lead to big problems. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

ngleichman 12-12-2008 08:53 AM

Will using c02 put my cocker out of time? sorry for being newb.

killertip212 12-12-2008 10:48 AM

nope

Cpl. Cam 05-28-2009 11:01 PM

Here comes a noob question: If I get a Palmers regulator then I don't need an A/S tube?

killertip212 05-29-2009 05:58 AM

It helps but is not needed

killertip212 05-29-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledgehammer (Post 4263167)
save yourself the BS and use hpa, you can get tanks now fer as low as 45 or 50 bucks, if your shootin a cocker, dont gamble USE AIR

Not everyone has access to HPA fills. CO2 is far more common and easier to find a regular source of fills; Hell even Wal-Mart sells filled 20oz tanks and has a swap program

Lenny17 06-02-2009 04:38 AM

And frankly, I'd rather use a 20 oz CO2 tank over a 48/3k air tank. They just don't hold enough air, and the one downside to CO2 (the inconsistent pressure) is taken care of on cockers since they have regulators on them.

Cpl. Cam 06-26-2009 02:26 PM

Can anyone post a pic of a cocker with two stabilizers (male/female) and a rock reg mounted to it. I want to see what that looks like.