View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Cadet2005

I will agree, this topic has been tested before...you're asking for a flame war (hopefully it won't happen, but I am a student of history and history on these forums show us it probably will). That said, I would like to amend a few points:

A highly customizable gun is not neccessary for sniping in PB or in combat by your definition. In combat, an M-16A2 can be used to snipe if the shooter knows what he is doing, and there is nothing customized on it. In paintball, since I don't have a problem seeing the 200 ft that my ball may eventually get to off the hop (I always estimate 100-150 feet for maximum target range), I don't need any special equipment to make that shot. I have a longer barrel, but that is another story...I use it because of my setup and how I shoot.

I can hide with a bright hunter's orange jacket just as well as with camouflage. It depends on how much movement you have to catch your opponent's attention.

Finally: snipers (real snipers) don't use silencers. That is a good old fashioned myth courtesy of Hollywood and the video game industry.

Your intentions are good, and I think you set foot on a good path to argue it, but the diversity here is too great and there are many differing opinions as to what a sniper is. I go by the historical definition of a sniper that has evolved from WWI, but somebody else might go by more of the classical "sharpshooter" aspect (which is anything but a sniper, but that is another thread). I suggest that you play your way and forget what anybody else says. Besides, it sounds like you are convinced of this anyway so what should our opinion matter?

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
Cadet2005 is offline   Reply With Quote