Originally posted by Sheps
How to Hide
When you are sniping the most important things to consider when hiding are:
1. Never break skylines or be silhouetted against natural lines. This draws the attention of the eye and could lead to the sniper being located and engaged.
2. Avoid isolated cover. Not only is this difficult to move to or from, but its isolation will naturally draw the opponents attention.
3. Regularly check and where necessary change or add to the natural camouflage on your ghillie suit (if you have one).
4. Avoid any unnecessary or quick movement, since both catch the eye. Always move under cover and plan the route to minimize exposure time.
5. Never hide in high places, falls hurt
6. Always choose a natural depression in the ground to hide in, it gives you more cover and makes sure your ghillie suit doesn't stick out
7. always have a good escape route, otherwise if your outnumbered in a firefight your doomed
8. Have good fields of fire (good visibility), it helps when an enemy knows where you are and tries to flank you
9. hide in shadowy area's, like under logs or bushes (if possible), but don't hide where you can't see or in a dangerous area (thorns)
10. If possible have a backup position prepared, prefferably witha view of your first hide, so that when enemies go to bunker you you have a clear shot at them
That's all well and good, but if you are hiding then you are not fighting, and if you are not fighting, you are not supporting the team. By staying static, you are essentially saying that you will wait for awhile for the enemy to come to you. While it is entirely possible and you can increase the liklihood dramatically, if gains no ground, may or may not eliminate the opposing team, and reduces the overall firepower of the team you are on. The basic theory is that you expect to hold your hand out in a boxing match and the other guy to bash his head against your hand.