View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 AM   #60
Sheps

AccessTime, I would like to thank you for sticking to my definition, I would also like to agree that in most situations a sniper is innefective, and laying down ropes of paint works far better. Nevertheless there are ways a sniper (a better term would be marksman but w/e) could be useful.

My hypothetical situation:

There are two teams, A and B, they are both 7 man teams and have nothing but guys with upped spyders (same type and upgrades), furthermore they are equally skilled. Lets say they go play a game of woodsball...

Now, if they are in equally good positions when they encounter each other then the only deciding factor in who wins is luck, right?

Now, lets say team A has one guy move to a back position and switch his gun for a B2K with PDS that has been modded to lay down lots of paint, assuming nothing changes from the last match then team A will win, right? This is because the one man's shift in position and marker type allows him to lay down more paint and force team B under cover.

Now, lets give team B a backman as well, now they will be back at square one as they will both be roughly equal.

Now lets team A gets a sniper/marksman who moves just out of sight of his team, the teams are still equal, but if they get into a firefight then Team A's sniper (assuming he's good) will be able to use the covering noise created by the firefight and his knowledge of terrain to quickly flank team B and eliminate team B's backman at the extent of his range without being noticed (one shot is hard to notice in a firefight, especially if the frontmen/middlemen are looking towards the main mass of enemies). All of a sudden there is a major change in team B's effectiveness, as they cannot lay down suppression fire until someone takes their backman's place. At this point team A has a tremendous opportunity, as they can now advance without worrying about suppresion fire (for a short time) and they have team B flanked (rerember the sniper?).

Naturally, this tactic I described only applies to larger games in the woods and cannot be applied to speedball or small woodsball games. Nevertheless it shows there is a way to utilise a "sniper" to deny the other team an advantage and stop excessive losses due to attrition. It also shows that the "sniper" has to be a top quality player and needs to know how to move quickly and avoid detection simultaneously.

Last edited by Sheps : 03-25-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Sheps is offline   Reply With Quote