View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Fireballfx
Where does the battery go

Frequently Asked Questions about the phantom. Great if you are new to the pump scene, and / or are looking to buy a phantom.

Where can I buy a phantom?

I have a thread written up here with a list of dealers that I have found to be reputable. The link is here:

Phantom Dealers

What setup is the best?

This is personal preference. Here is a quick and dirty comparison:

Backbottle:

Pros:

Second most efficient with 12 grams (compared to the dropout changer)

Some people prefer the balance of a backbottle.

Cons:

Cannot use a bulk tank when running a 15 round stock class feed (the feedtube will sit too low to screw in a bulk C/A tank)

Dropout Changer:

Pros:

Most efficient valve with 12 grams

Cons:

Cannot use bulk tanks with this valve - you must purchase another valve

Bottomline:

Pros:

When used with a larger bottle, the bottle can be used as a stock

Can be run hawaiian style (bottomline screwed in backwards) - some prefer the balance of using a hawaiian style setup.

Cons:

Cannot use a stock, unless a gas-through stock is bought.

Less efficient with 12 grams compared to the VSC, Backbottle and Dropout changer

Vertical air:

Pros:

Many people prefer the balance of vertical air, especially when using a bulk air tank

Most efficient setup on 12 gram that does not feed the 12 gram directly into the valve (as with backbottle and dropout valves)

VERY consistent with CO2 tanks (3.5s and 4 ozs, especially)

Cons:

Less efficient with 12 grams than backbottle and dropouts

Should not run a tank larger than 3.5 oz, or you may risk bending the trigger frame if you run into something.

What bore size is the phantom?

What kind of threads to Phantoms take?

Phantoms use their own threads: phantom threads. As such, you need to buy phantom-specific barrels, or get barrels rethreaded. If you get barrels rethreaded, you need to make sure that the pump handle will go around the barrel properly, or that you have undercocking.

What is stock class Phantom?

A pure stock class marker has a horizontal stick feed and runs on 12 gram powerlets.

A modified stock class marker uses a horizontal stick feed and a bulk CO2 tank.

Is the 10 or 15 round feed tube better?

This is personal preference. I personally prefer the 15 round tube because I do not need to reload as often, and when I do reload, I am not left with paintballs in my 10 round tubes.

What is the best barrel for the phantom?

The stock barrel is probably the best single barrel that money can buy (unless you are looking for a quieter barrel...and trust me, the stock barrel is already very quiet). However, because of the large bore size of the phantom, you will get rollouts if your paint is too small for the barrel. For this reason, many people buy a smaller bore barrel (usually the Lapco Microshots). Scroll down to see a complete list of barrels available for the phantom.

What are essential upgrades when buying a phantom?

This, again is preferential. However, I need to say this: THE PHANTOM IS ALREADY TUNED TO SHOOT EXTREMELY WELL OUT OF THE BOX!. Partswise, when you buy your phantom, I (as many others would agree) would tell you to buy detent rings (to prevent rollouts for paint that is too small), as well as a trigger shoe (which increases the surface area of the trigger that your finger rests on, giving the feeling of a smoother and lighter trigger pull).

Another optional upgrade (that is done as aftermarket, custom work) that many pure stock class (only using 12 gram CO2 powerlets) players prefer is to bob your valve, which means you cut down the length of your valve. This reduces the volume of "dead space" that the gas in the 12 gram has to fill in order to completely fill the valve, which increases the number of shots that you can get out of a 12 gram.

Some people also buy undercocking. This puts the pump handle underneath the barrel instead of around it. The advantages are that it smooths up the pump stroke, and for some people, puts the pump in a more natural position for their hand.

Should I use nitro on my phantom?

In my opinion, this is completely unnecessary. Nitro tanks add too much weight to the marker, which ruins one of the main advantages of having a pump marker in the first place. An anti-siphoned bulk tank on the bottomline, or a 3.5 or 4 oz on the vertical ASA, along with a good paint-barrel match and a broken in phantom will yield consistencies of +\- 2-5 FPS. Many pump players prefer using 3.5 oz and 4 oz CO2 tanks with their markers.

However, there are more and more players using the 13 CI nitro tanks, which give the consistency of nitro in a smaller and lighter package. They can be bought at http://www.whitewolfairsmithing.com/ found under the parts section.

How many shots can I get off my phantom?

On a 3.5 and 4 oz tank, anywhere from 200-350 shots (depending on how well your field fills your tanks - these small tanks are extremely hard to fill, and very few people can fill them properly, so you will not usually get a full shot count)

A 13 ci tank will also yield around the same number of shots.

On a VSC phantom, you should be able to get around 25-35 shots, although most people change around 20 shots to ensure that their velocity does not drop off. On a backbottle phantom / dropout phantom, you can get around 40 shots or even more.

These numbers may vary depending on how well tuned your phantom is (springing, bobbing the valve, temperature, rate of fire), but these are numbers on the phantoms that come STOCK from CCI. Be aware that especially with 12 grams, that firing rapidly will chill the tank / powerlet, reducing the number of shots you get from it, and your velocity will also drop off until the powerlet / tank warms back up.

How do I use my detent rings?

Read the instruction manual, dangit!

Anyways, what you want to do is take around 5 paintballs, and try to size them with the detent rings (we use 5 to find the "average" size of the balls). A proper fitting detent will have the middle of the ball resting inside the ring detent, and it will take a bit of force to push the ball through the ring.

Once you have found the right size ring, you want to drop the ring (MAKE SURE IT IS LEVEL OR YOU WILL WRECK YOUR BARREL) as far into the breech as possible - it should sit past the threads. Screw on your barrel normally - the barrel should screw on as if there was no detent in the marker. If you encounter resistance, STOP IMMEDIATELY, unscrew your barrel, and check if you seated the detent properly.

Removing the detents, you can either use dental picks, or what I do is stick my finger into the breech, and then get the ring 'stuck around my finger' and pull my finger out of the breech, along with the barrel?

What aftermarket barrels are available for the Phantom?

Lapco: Microshot, Autospirit and Bigshot (many people buy the microshot or autospirit, because they shoot small bore paint very often; not many buy the bigshot because its bore size is very close to the stock phantom barrel's)

WWA FR-Antom II - Sold and manufactured by White Wolf Airsmithing (WWA) - takes freak inserts, allowing you to size your paint better.

J&J Edge Kit - Sold by J&J, arguably one of the best (along with the FR-Antom II) multi-bore barrel systems. This is different from the FR-Antom in that it uses actual control bores.

J&J Ceramic

SP All-American barrel (Rare; Out of Production)

DYE Boomstick (Rare; Out of Production)

BOA Barrels (Rare; out of production)

CCI Carbon Fibre Barrels (Many people swear by them; EXTREMELY rare; costly to buy nowadays; out of production)

CCI Nickel Barrels (slightly tighter bore, cleans out slightly better)

This FAQ Was Awesome!

I know. What can I say? I'm amazing . Feel free to post feedback / questions in this thread.
Fireballfx is offline   Reply With Quote