View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #52
Flamethrower
Recoil Junkie /1*\

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy
Facing the mortality of life at such a young age is a devastating experience, if you let it be, and I know that you will not.

I had to face my own mortality 2 years ago tomorrow when I was at work in Maryland and somehow woke up in the hospital. I had the first of what would be four seizures. But that experience is nothing close to yours.

I will pray for you every night. And in honor of you I will place your saying in my sig.

Stay strong. Remember no matter how bad today is, tomorrow will always be better.
CB, you have no idea how much your gesture and your words means to me. Thank you.
I hope you have a better understanding of what caused your seizures and how to control them. Random seizures can be quite debilitating.

Well tomorrow is transplant day. My sisters procedure is set to take place at 7:30am. They will drill 120 holes in each side of her hip and remove a total of 800ml of bone marrow. The bone marrow gets filtered and then an anticoagulant gets added. I will get the bone marrow sometime in the afternoon. It just hangs in the bag and drips into me. The magic happens over the course of the next 6 months, when hopefully the donor cells migrate into my bones and set up shop. If I am lucky I wont get GVHD or Graft Vs Host Disease. Where the donor cells view me as the enemy and try to kill me.

My sister is the real hero in this story. She never thought twice about getting tested to see if she was a match. When she found out she was, she never hesitated to yes. She is my single best chance at a cure.

Today it's 3 months to the day from my diagnosis. This whole thing came out of left field. It's given me a long time to reflect on my life. I have come to realize how important friends and family really are. It has also made me recognize that I have fought way to long and hard to just give in. I have made many bad choices and many wrong decisions in my life. I have made way more good ones. Before this event I was finally getting comfortable in my own skin, and with my life as a whole. I will be dammed if I'm gonna let this thing win now, and take everything I have worked so hard for in my life.

When you are fighting for your life, you have to fight tooth and nail.

Never give up! Never surrender!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being." -Kahlil Gibran "Voice of a Poet"
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote