View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Uziel Gal
Legend

If you were to do a direct comparison between a Quest and a newer Planet/Dye/What-have-you marker, the Quest will appear bulkier than most, and will be a bit heavier, though they aren't particularly heavy markers.

The markers maximum rate of fire will also be down - like earlier DMs/PMs, thay are limited by the solenoid to a maximum of 23bps. In this day and age of 30+ bps markers, that may seem a disadvantage, but only if you are making youtube videos..... In the real world, you'll be ramping 13 or 15bps, or firing in true semi, and no-one can genuinely shoot 23bps in bounce free semi auto.

So, in the real world, playing paintball, you shouldn't be at any disadvantage as far as firepower is concerned. It's plenty fast for any sensible use.

Quests are perhaps not quite as smooth as the best of the spool valve markers, but are smoother than the average ram and poppet marker. What they give up to the smoothest spool valves, they make up for by being more efficient than most.

They are also simpler than the majority of other spool valves, with only two part in the bolt kit the pin (bolt guide) and the bolt itself. With less parts come less o-rings. Most leaks and other bolt related problems can be fixed with a change of o-rings and a smear of Hater Sauce.

You get a stock, fully adjustable, multi mode board, and one of the best stock triggers going - very smooth, comfortable and responsive.

Are there downsides? Yes.

Right now, getting any kind of warranty support direct from FEP is difficult. Customer service used to be exceptional, but is distinctly patchy right now. The company is said to be concentrating on new developments right now, and seldom answer the phone or respond to e-mails.

As far as problems with the marker are concerned, the stock wiring is rather flimsy, and wires can break without warning. You can get aftermarket wiring harnesses for around $10-$15, and I would strongly suggest switching to an aftermarket one soon as possible, and maybe carrying a spare.

Some people have also had issues with one of the stock boards used by the Quest (the marker has used a number of different boards during it's lifetime) - WAS boards have good reputations in most markers, but for some reason, the Quest version has a tendency to short out or just generally "play up" in one way or another. If you get a good one, it'll be fine, and some never cause any problems; others switch off for no reason, cause eye problems, burn out, and any number of other things. If you have a board other than a WAS board, then you should be fine.

There have been issues in the past of people breaking their bolts, but this is generally considered to be down to a faulty batch of bolts (should be long gone) or people having their LPR pressures set too high.

On the whole, other than switching out the stock wires, I have been very pleased with my Quest.

Hundred, hundred, hundred bottles on the wall, you wonder if you can drink them all.
Got to go home by 1am, the bottle wins the battle again.
Husker Du - "First of the last calls"
Back when I was popular
Supporting a friend:
HustlePaintball.com for Spyder paintball guns, Dye Markers, WDP Angel 1 and of course the Hustle Hotties.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote