pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Masks

Old 07-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
i-fling-poo

dont give me a bias opinion......

look guys i live in louisiana far from new orleans with is where all the paintball places are but the few crapy ones where i live so i dont get to try things out like u guys and i end ordering every thing online and sometimes i like it and sometimes i dont but anyway.......... which do u prefer the flex-IZE, pro-flex, proteus, dye invision, Raven......... ive really been going back and forth between the flex or raven...........oh and please i dont need any jerks telling me to do a search because i have been and by writing this thread i consider that i still am searching for ur opinions.................thanks
i-fling-poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
booze_buddy

V-Force Morph all the way, but out of your list I would go with the Proflex.
booze_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
1Speed
':.Feel the Rush.:'

Proflex or Flex-7. The Invison and the Proteus look so tacky(oops i gonna start somethin by saying that). As for the Raven NVX, iI can't say a whole lot about it. V-Force masks are great too like 'booze' said.

*My Setup*

Silver RJR
NDZ Blade Trigger
Voodoo Delrin Bolt
Tapeworm
Ti Pull Pin
SP Sticky Grips
CP 2" Lightning Drop
CP Crome On/Off
---------------------------------------
Smoke Halo B
CenterFlag 68/4500
1Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
FallNAngel

Send a message via AIM to FallNAngel
Raven NVX: Personally, I used to *LOVE* my raven. I thought it was way better than my flex 7... sat closer to my face, felt good, was light, easy to breath / yell. All kinds of good stuff. The lenses didn't tint as much as I thought they would, but I never had a problem with them. After a while, it looked like spots were appearing on the mask. I assume either this is paint staining the lense or some sort of problem with the lense tinting. Sometimes it went away, other times I was stuck with small purple dots on my lense. It doesn't bother you too much when you have it on.. you actually have to look for them but I don't see why they should be there in the first place. Anyway, after a while the foam started coming off the mask... foam glue didn't work to keep it on after playing with it, and I've yet to hear from Raven about working something out about it (ditto with their shin/knee guards). I plan on calling them sometime soon in the next few days and seeing if something can be done. (~$50)

Flex 7: I haven't tried a proflex, but my flex 7 wasn't too bad. Didn't fog, just didn't fit how I like them to. Sat a bit farther from my face than I'd like, but not a huge deal. Didn't fog and you could get bounces off the flex of the mask, though the chances of getting hit on the flex part itself is rather rare. ($30)

VForce Morph/Shield: The VForce Morph I've heard a lot of good things about... personally it just looks like the mask is too big and sits oo far from my face, though this is personal preference. The one thing that sets me off from it though is the fact that it's anti-fog coated, not a dual paned thermal lense. I've heard a lot of people say it doesn't fog, however, I'd really rather not have to worry about the coating washing off ... on the other hand, how often do you wash the inside of your mask? (Morph: ~$60 Shield: ~$40)

Proteus: I've heard good and bad things about this, just as I have the Invision (below). Namely the mask is small, and if it doesn't fit you just right (eg you have a big head) your chin sticks out of the bottom, esp if you open your mouth. I haven't heard any problems with the lense fogging abnormally, but the whole thing with the advanced hearing system is supposed to be BS. (~$50)

Invision: Simliar to the Proteus (above), the two main bad things I've heard are that the lense fogs (while others say they've never had a problem) and that their chin sticks out. I've heard the early Invisions had problems fogging and was quickly corrected by Dye. Much of what I've read on this has been good. It looks very ventilated at the bottom... if you get hit in the bottom of the mask, you'll more than likely be eating paint.. same as the Raven, though it also means you can be heard easier.

I'm not trying to plug any of these... since my NVX essentially broke on me, I've needed to find a new mask. All but the Flex 7 and Proflex were on my list of masks to look at (I already have a Flex 7). If Raven manages to pull through and replace the mask, I'll be selling it ASAP.. I'm not even going to try to deal with it (Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me). Ultimately, I decided on the Invision. It has 3 stage foam which I can only assume is like the NVX (I haven't tried one on yet), has a thermal lense and is close to my face. The only problem I have with 3-stage foam (at least on the NVX) is if it gets wet, it's gonna compress.... a lot. At least my NVX did. Oh well.

Although I'm sure it's the last thing you want to hear, your best bet is probably to try them on and see which you like best. A lot of it is personal preference. Hope that helps.
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
i-fling-poo

ok

thanks for the great post guys..... but yeah i guess it boils down to me trying them on........ to me the flex 7 and the proteus fit the same as far as there comfort and i wasnt to impressed with the invision but i cant find a raven nvx anywhere...... so i guess i might just hold off and make sure i make the right decision.......
Old 08-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
snaretan
What?

Re: ok

I don't fog up on my Morph at all. I have no anti-fog spray on it, I just keep it clean with a little soap and water after I play. I use water and toilet paper on the field. I think the reason it doesn't fog is because it's pushed so far from your face. Also, I can get were my glasses while playing if I needed too (I wear contacts usually)

The greatest advantage IMHO is how easy it is to get your lense out. I'm not super fast, but I can remove it in under 10 seconds and put it back in in about 30. Sometimes it's hard for me to get the snaps in, but they get easier after you do it a bunch of times.

Imagine being shot just below the lense and paint splatter onto the inside of the lense. It is VERY easy to clean it off since you can just pop the lense off.

Another great advantage is the clarity of the lense. They say "Victory comes with vision". This is a great motto for their product. You can't hit what you can't see, and I've seen a lot of "anti fog" lenses be blury to the point that you couldn't see after a few cleanings.

Since I bought this mask, I've become much more aggressive with my play. I'm not as affraid of running up on a bunker just to be eaisly flanked by the opposition. I know now that I'll see them coming and be able to fight back.

The only downside I have to this mask is that it squeezes the top of my head pretty tight. The curvature on the top of the mask is a smaller diameter than the top of my head. After playing for a while I get huge red marks on the top of my head, and a slight discomfort. This became very evident during the scenario game I played with it. After 4 hours of wearing my mask straight, I NEEDED to get off the field and take a break (I was hungry too). At this time, my head really hurt from the mask compressing my noggin.

I can't speak for the rest of the masks on your list, but I can say nearly nothing but good for the Morph. They are a great improvment over the old Scott mask I used to own. I'm not sure why they aren't on your list, but unless you have some really big problem with them, it should be something to consider.

Tan
Old 08-01-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
i-fling-poo

yeah i have all all good about the morph but i just never considered it because of the look and color options.....
Old 08-01-2003, 01:09 PM   #8
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

Send a message via AIM to ShadowWalker
well i ordered a flex-7, but they sent me a flex-ize on accident(same mask, just different colors and comes with prism lenses). well my prism lenses were scratched when i got them and i am currently dealing with jt about replacing them(came with clear lenses also and i ordered a goggle skin to put on it). it is extremely comfortable.

I don't play anymore, But I am looking for a Female Regulator. email me if you have one
ShadowWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #9
reneirwolf878

Send a message via AIM to reneirwolf878
I love the Protues. The flex 7 is also fine with me. They don't fog. A lot of people recommend the force cause of the quick lense changing. How often does one change a lense? Once every 3 months at least? It only takes 5 minutes to pop a lense out and replace it.

Good to hear you got the ize, i think it just looks a bit funky at the bottom.
reneirwolf878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #10
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

well they sent me the gray one and its looks cool. they look darker than in the pictures also. i was thinking about buyin it but ordered a regular flex and got it anyways...saved me 10 bucks, haha.

I don't play anymore, But I am looking for a Female Regulator. email me if you have one
Old 08-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #11
truefreestyle
Minority vs. Majority

Send a message via AIM to truefreestyle
Just don't get a raven. The paint hurts when you get hit in the lower mask. Really bad. Plus that all it does is fog. The best mask of all the masks iv'e used is the dye invision. It has just the right amount of protection. The flex and proteus will sometimes put your chin out in the open when your playing. The Dye doesn't have so much of a problem with this. Id suggest to go with whatever company you like more though. Dye or JT. Just don't get a raven.
truefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:21 PM   #12
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

my friend has an invision and his chin hangs out the bottom, he's only 14, too. I tried it on and thought it was too small myself.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #13
nuckolsc

dye invision
nuckolsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #14
truefreestyle
Minority vs. Majority

Send a message via AIM to truefreestyle
The dye invision is supposed to be a firm fitting mask. If your chin is sticking out maybe your not wearing the mask low enough. Or maybe your chin just won't fit it. Iv'e heart of fairly big people sometimes have problems. But the only one i know was like about 7 feet tall.
truefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #15
ShadowWalker
Shocker pwns

oh welll...i'm stayin with my flex

Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #16
FallNAngel

Send a message via AIM to FallNAngel
Quote:
Originally posted by truefreestyle
Just don't get a raven. The paint hurts when you get hit in the lower mask. Really bad. Plus that all it does is fog. The best mask of all the masks iv'e used is the dye invision. It has just the right amount of protection. The flex and proteus will sometimes put your chin out in the open when your playing. The Dye doesn't have so much of a problem with this. Id suggest to go with whatever company you like more though. Dye or JT. Just don't get a raven.
Actually, the only real problem I had with mine was the foam.. If the foam hadn't come off, I definately continue to recommend it. Very nice mask otherwise.
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote