pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Tourney Talk

Old 12-30-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
paintballer42o
These days...

Send a message via AIM to paintballer42o
Official Position information Thread

So...your wondering what position you should play for your team eh? Well wait no further! Just read what i have to say and many other people do. Lets get started.

I will be listing the general ideas and basics of what each position does. You members may add some stuff i didn't cover.

Front Players
Well, Front players are very important in the game. They are the ones that have to push up and eliminate the other team. They're main priority is to get the flag, and nothing more. The front players should listen to what the back and the mid players too.
To have this position, you should be a quick sprinter, you should be able to hide, and you should have to listen to your team. Front players aren't just there to look around and see whats going on. They only shoot when they need to.
When playing front, off the break you should sprint to the bunker you are going to, and it should be at least at the 40. No need to shoot off the break, your back players will help you out, and some of the mid players. When in your bunker, You should get as tight in as you can. You want to do this because there is an area called dead zone.
The dead zone is where there are open spots where people can hit you. The further back you are, the more dead zone is created for you.
The front players shouldn't be worried about people pounding on your bunker with paint. They are more worried about you than you should be about them. The front players should also have to bunker people. Now it may seem a bit easy, but its not. Bunkering, you must be quick enough to run up and shoot your opponent, and get into cover without being shot. Snap shooting is also very important. This is a skill that takes a lot of practice. You should also learn how to shoot offhand. These skills should help you a lot if you practice them.

Mid Players
Now i have some experience with being a mid player. Mid players are not that important in the game, but you still should have some on your team. They are pretty much back players, but up further. Mid players should work on front player skills too because mid players should replace an eliminated front player. They also call out some positions and help cover the front players.
They mainly need to eliminate players or keep players in their bunkers until the front players make their move. Most mid players don't need to shoot very fast, but you should at least have a decent gun to keep a player in. Their job is also pretty much to take care of your front players because front players are vital to the game.
So whenever a front player moves up, you should replace his spot. If a front player is eliminated, look at where he got shot and move that way.
Off the break, it IS ok if you shoot off the break. You don't need to though. Just letting a few balls loose on the break is good enough, but just remember to get to your bunker. Mid players can move up to the front at any time if they want to, but they should only do this if a front player is calling for help.
Mid players should learn how to shoot offhand and they should know how to use their position to their advantage. Mid players are usually at the 30 or the 40.

Back Players
Back players are a must on a team, just like front players. They have to babysit the whole team by covering, calling out positions, shooting FAST, keeping players in, holding off the other team, and things like that. A fast gun is a MUST for this position. shooting fast is what you need for covering teammates, keeping people in, and shooting off the break.
Make sure your loaded w/ paint, because your gonna be using a lot for this position. You should have, at a minimum, of a 5+4 harness. Your gonna be droppin paint everywhere.
Now off the break, shoot at everything that moves on the other side of the field. You should shoot fast and slowly walk to your bunker in the back. Always, and i mean, ALWAYS keep your eyes on the game. Never take your eyes off the game for one second. You have to do this because players could move up without you noticing, and your front players could get out very quickly.
Covering your front players and calling out positions is the main priority for the back players. Offhand shooting will be useful, but you wont need to practice this move too much. Once in a while would be good enough. Don't be afraid to double-up with a fellow back player in pretty small bunker. You both can cover each others sides and your team will be strong on that side. A lot of teams double up they're back players in bunkers, because its a really good idea.

Well thats about it for me. If you think i skipped anything, feel free to post the things i missed.
paintballer42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:47 AM   #2
The.Wamp
I am better than you

First off good thread man, you just saved everyone a bunch of time answering newb questions.

I'm to lazy to type it out but throw some stuff about inserts in there or were you putting them as Mids.

<------ YO, Crazy Eyes... Why your eyes so crazzzzzzzzzzzzy?!?!?!

I suck at paintwar.

Last edited by The.Wamp : 12-30-2003 at 01:49 AM.
The.Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #3
paintballer42o
These days...

If you have anything bad to say, please dont post. thnx.
(not talkin bout you wamp )
josh_hill, puck_316
spyderman014, tippycustom, chadolf, dcdude, paintballer42o, chunkymonkey, p8ntmaster
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
Old 12-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
thepeashooter

about the back players shooting off the break

I find it much better if you just pick a lane the angles across the field and shoot a string of paint down it as you have a better chance of someone running into the string then you would of hitting someone that your shooting at.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
Theoman
732*ShootinFools*732

Send a message via AIM to Theoman
thanx man just what i asked for mayb a sticky mod
?
Theoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
Nickisgod
Jesus

positions

I got some positions that could help
5-man=1 front, 2 advancing back/mid-players, and 2 back players.
Nickisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
paintballer42o
These days...

Re: positions

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickisgod
I got some positions that could help
5-man=1 front, 2 advancing back/mid-players, and 2 back players.
that idea is good, but you should really have more front players.

5 man: A good setup - 2 front - 1 mid - 2 back.
3 man: 2 front - 1 mid/back
7 man: 3 front - 2 mid - 2 back
10 man - 3 front - 3 mid - 4 back
josh_hill, puck_316
spyderman014, tippycustom, chadolf, dcdude, paintballer42o, chunkymonkey, p8ntmaster
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
Old 01-03-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Nice thread!
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #9
Silent-Version

I rember a web site.... it had a test you could take about your physical strength n' stuff. It could tell you what position you are best to play! lemme see if i can find it....

i can't find it.... but mabey some of you have heard of it?

Goat dame it, these feeking bumpers wont shut up... "feed me, feed me" they cry.
Originaly Posted by Unkown
Silent-Version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #10
MrBo
\/\/ash /\/\o

Send a message via AIM to MrBo
nice job paintballer
Old 01-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #11
Captainmorgan
VV Need some VV

Send a message via AIM to Captainmorgan
you said at least a 5+4 for a back player...how many player teams is that for? seems like it'd vary with number on a team...but i don't know cause i don't do tournies, as a matter of fact, I have no i dea why im in this forum...

My Feedback

Donate to the "Team Rada-tat-tat" Tournament foundation via Paypal at: Estschmidt2@aol.com
Captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
TheBackMan
Team Anarchy Backman

Send a message via AIM to TheBackMan
Re: Re: positions

Quote:
Originally posted by paintballer42o

that idea is good, but you should really have more front players.

5 man: A good setup - 2 front - 1 mid - 2 back.
3 man: 2 front - 1 mid/back
7 man: 3 front - 2 mid - 2 back
10 man - 3 front - 3 mid - 4 back
On the 3 man I suggest changing it around 2 back 1 front. We usually use a 1 back 1 mid 1 front, but out mid is a glorified backman. He is usually 1 row infront fo the backman on the opposite sit of the field. 2 frontmen can work I'm not saying it is bad, I am just stating that having more players in the back and playing passive until you have a numerical advantage has its advantages.

Another thing, that is a great post man. Bravo, you said that we could add a few things so I think I will do so.

you said that a 5.4 is the smallest you should wear, well I disagree. Only in the case of 3 man however. I wear a 4.3 and play 3 man, it works for me. As you said never take your head out of the game. As a backman you have to cover your team. Remember posting on a player is a good thing. Forget about overkill. Just keep those balls in a steady stream on his bunker. If you do this he is less likely he will come out. I am saying that if he is about to hit one of your teammates. If you have no real shot and they aren't a threat don't post on them. If the person is in no position to attack your team or help his very much then don't forget about him, but don't post on him. Snap back and throw a few balls his way every few seconds to make sure he is still there, but attack the threats first and make sur you keep any other threats from becoming anything.Now you said walk to your bunker, on 3 man I don't walk if you do and your not hitting backcenter then you'll get a shot in the face. Shoot fast, but run/jog sideways, smaller target still get the rounds off.

Hope that helps.

ICD Chat Member #7!

www.BallerVideos.com Your #1 source for intense paintball action!
I was the #1 customer to BallerVideos
TheBackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
paintballer42o
These days...

Re: Re: Re: positions

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBackMan

On the 3 man I suggest changing it around 2 back 1 front. We usually use a 1 back 1 mid 1 front, but out mid is a glorified backman. He is usually 1 row infront fo the backman on the opposite sit of the field. 2 frontmen can work I'm not saying it is bad, I am just stating that having more players in the back and playing passive until you have a numerical advantage has its advantages.

Another thing, that is a great post man. Bravo, you said that we could add a few things so I think I will do so.

you said that a 5.4 is the smallest you should wear, well I disagree. Only in the case of 3 man however. I wear a 4.3 and play 3 man, it works for me. As you said never take your head out of the game. As a backman you have to cover your team. Remember posting on a player is a good thing. Forget about overkill. Just keep those balls in a steady stream on his bunker. If you do this he is less likely he will come out. I am saying that if he is about to hit one of your teammates. If you have no real shot and they aren't a threat don't post on them. If the person is in no position to attack your team or help his very much then don't forget about him, but don't post on him. Snap back and throw a few balls his way every few seconds to make sure he is still there, but attack the threats first and make sur you keep any other threats from becoming anything.Now you said walk to your bunker, on 3 man I don't walk if you do and your not hitting backcenter then you'll get a shot in the face. Shoot fast, but run/jog sideways, smaller target still get the rounds off.

Hope that helps.
Well really the harness thing is all in what fits your shoe. I meant to say that The Harness size is whatever you think you need, but usually a 5.4 is a good idea. My bro and i and a friend are in a tourny and my bro plays back and uses a 5.4 and he uses a lot of paint. But Like i said, its whatever you think you need.What you said also helped tho
josh_hill, puck_316
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK
Old 01-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
Sprinkles

Send a message via AIM to Sprinkles
i can shoot people from the front and the back!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #15
Creek

Send a message via ICQ to Creek Send a message via AIM to Creek Send a message via Yahoo to Creek
ok i stuck it
overcome youth and skill!

Old 01-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
kevindlally

would u be willing to sell the mag for less....maybe 275?
kevindlally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #17
kevindlally

"would u be willing to sell the mag for less....maybe 275?"

nvm that wrong thread
kevindlally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #18
AR55 MtM

Packs

Well heres how i think the backs should go
3 man team- Front 2+1 Mid 2+1 Back 4+3
5 man team- Front 2+1 Mid 3+2 Back 5+4
7 man team- Front 3+2 Mid 3+2 Back 5+4
10 man team- Front 3+2 Mid 4+3 Back 5+4

but then again when you use these setups you might wanna change your strats like your mid player wears a heavy and tosses a gup to your front they make some neat tubes made for that
but then again its all about personal pref but theres my suggestions

Last edited by AR55 MtM : 06-10-2004 at 05:41 PM.
AR55 MtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
2002COCKERBOY
front man- nuff said

Send a message via AIM to 2002COCKERBOY
first of all, great thread. next i'd like to tell ya a good strategy that my team uses:

Well we play 5 man mostly, and we usually have one front, 2 mids, and 2 backs. Well off the break, we have the front run like hell, the 2 backs shooting the 2 main lanes, and the 2 mids running to their bunkers while shooting. All you mid players out there should really practice as much as you possibly can to run and shoot (accurately) at the same time. After the mids get to their bunkers, they post up on the corners and the backs then run to their bunkers and start their usual routine.

other than that, i think its necessary that the backs learn to shoot with 1 hand while filling with the other. This gives you a BIG advantage because you can stay posted up on the other team. However, if you do this, I suggest a 6+5 plus 2 pods in your pockets, and 2 in your off hand (for a 5 man). Also another good idea is to have the mids drop off paint in bunkers at around the 25 for the backs to pick up late in the game (just in case).

but if your not above novice level, you shouldnt have to worry about bringin that much paint. They could probably do it with a 5+4 or a 6+5 with no extras.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #20
paintballer42o
These days...

Re: Packs

Quote:
Originally posted by AR55 MtM
Well heres how i think the backs should go
3 man team- Front 2+1 Mid 2+1 Back 4+3
5 man team- Front 2+1 Mid 3+2 Back 5+4
7 man team- Front 3+2 Mid 3+2 Back 5+4
10 man team- Front 3+2 Mid 4+2 Back 5+4

but then again when you use these setups you might wanna change your strats like your mid player wears a heavy and tosses a gup to your front they make some neat tubes made for that
but then again its all about personal pref but theres my suggestions
the harness thing is just suggestions guys, its really personal prefrence. But this is a great chart.
josh_hill, puck_316
Detroit Strange fan #1
InSoMnIac Member #11
PwnzorchreK