pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Barrels and Paint

Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
STO Balla 22

Send a message via AIM to STO Balla 22
Everything You Want To Know about Paintballs

Everything You Want to Know about Paintballs
Hopefully, this will answer all your questions about paintballs. If you have any suggestions, or have something to add that would be helpful, feel free to pm me.

What makes paintballs good or bad?
There are many different kinds of paintballs, but not all paintballs are created equal. Most of the more expensive paintballs are higher quality. There are a few things that determine whether a paintball is good or bad.
Shell
The shell should be fairly brittle, so that it will break on impact, but not brittle enough that it will break in your gun. For determining how good the shell is, try the drop test. Take 8-12 balls. Take one of them, and hold it up about 6 feet from a hard, flat surface. Drop it, and catch it after it bounces, don’t let it bounce multiple times. If the ball broke on the first drop, then it is too brittle, and it will break in your gun. Take it and drop it again. It may break this time. If it does, then it’s a little too brittle, but you most likely will be able to use it without having too many problems. If it doesn’t break on the second drop, drop it again, and repeat those steps with the rest of the balls. On average, the balls should break with 2-4 drops; 2 being a little too brittle, and 4 being a little too soft. Heat will make the shell softer, and will result in more bounces, while cold weather will make the shells more brittle.
Fill
The fill is probably the second most important part of a paintball. The fill is important because with a dull, watery fill, a hit will be easy to wipe. High quality paint, such as tournament paint, has a thick, bright fill, which is almost impossible to wipe. I have found that Evils have the thickest fill, and Marballizers and Chronic have the brightest fill.
Seam
The seam is the line that runs through the center of the ball. Some paint, such as Marballizers, do not have seams, but most do. Usually, the bigger the seam is, the worse the accuracy. PMI Big Ball has very large seams. The seam should be perfectly straight, any curves in it will affect accuracy greatly. Brass Eagle paintballs are known to have crooked seams.

Paint to Barrel Match
Paint to Barrel match is one of the most important things to consider when buying paint. The paint you use should be smaller than your barrel, but only by .002 inches or so. For example, if you have a .688” barrel, then your paint should be .685” to .688.” The Blow Test is good for determining if you have a good paint to barrel match. Take 5-10 balls. Take your barrel off your gun. Put a ball in the back of the barrel. You should be able to blow with fairly little effort, and the ball should shoot out and land a few yards away. The balls should not be able to roll out of the barrel. So obviously, if the balls are rolling out, then your paint is too small, and if the balls are getting stuck, then the paint is too big. It is better to have paint that is too small than too big, because your ball detent will usually keep the ball from rolling out, but if it is too big then you will have worse efficiency, accuracy, and you will have a better chance of breaking a ball in the barrel. Paint to barrel match is very important in closed bolt guns (ie Autocockers), because without a good match balls can roll out. In an open bolt marker (most markers), a good paint to barrel match is only important for accuracy. DISCLAIMER- Paint to barrel match and its relationship to accuracy has not been proven, some people believe in it and some do not, I do believe some of it, but I think it is overhyped.

What is the best Paint for the Money?
I think that Zap and Diablo make the best paint for your money. You can buy a case of Tork on www.paintballgear.com for $40, or you can buy spank, which is very similar to Tork, for $35 on the same website. They have good shells, although sometimes they don’t break on impact, but most of the time they do. They have bright fills, not as thick as tournament paint, but not watery either. Zap is my personal favorite for Rec Paint. Many people also like Diablo for Rec paint. Diablo Dusk is good if you need to buy paint from Wal-Mart or a similar store. It has a good shell and a decent fill, but it is small bore paint, so you won’t have a good paint to barrel match unless you have a small-bore barrel or a barrel kit. Nelson Hot Spot is also supposed to be good rec paint, although I haven't gotten a chance to use it myself.

What is the best Rec Paint?
There really is no “best” rec paint, but there are many kinds that are good. PMI Big Ball is good, especially if you have a large bore barrel. If your barrel is standard bore size, then you might have problems with balls breaking in the barrel. Just try the blow test, as explained in the Paint to Barrel Match section. Zap Tork is another good kind of rec paint, as well as Zap Spank and Zap Primer. Most of Diablo’s paint is good for rec, but it is usually fairly small. PMI Premiums are another good choice for rec paint. I have also heard that Nelson Hot Spot is good. Competitive Edge, Brass Eagle, and Zap Rec Series are types of paint to stay away from. Competive Edge is bad all around, Brass Eagle is oily, smells bad, has crooked seams, is oddly shaped, etc; and Zap Rec Series will stain clothes and cars. Zap Rec Series has been banned at all fields in Texas as far as I know. I’m not sure about the other states, but stay away from it. IMPORTANT: Some fields do not allow you to bring your own paint to the field, you must buy it there. Check with the field before you go to see their prices, if they allow paint from outside the field, if certain paint is banned, etc.

What is the best Tournament Paint?
In my experience, PMI Evil is the best tournament paint. It has an incredibly thick fill, and it is also very bright. Evil is close to impossible to wipe. Nelson Anarchy is also good tournament paint, although it is overlooked many times. Zap Chronic and PMI Marballizers are also all good types of tournament paint.

What Paint should I use for Hot or Cold Weather?
There are a few types of paint that are specially designed for hot or cold weather. For cold weather- Diablo Arctic Inferno, PMI Polar Ice and Zap Chronic work well. For hot weather- try to use tournament paint because cheap paint will become very soft and will not break on target in hot conditions.

So a ball broke in your bag?
Sometimes if a bag of paintballs gets jostled around, a ball will break inside the bag, causing paint to get on the other balls. Don't shoot this paint, it will be inaccurate and bad for your gun. Instead, clean it. Take a towel/paper towel and put the balls in it. Do not use water, or the small layer of oil on the balls will come off, creating a drag on the ball. Roll the balls around in the paper towel gently in your hand. Keep doing this until the paint comes off. The paint should be ready to go after you do this.

Where Can I Buy Paintballs?
Many Paintball Pro-Shops sell paintballs, as well as other stores such as Wal-Mart and Meijer. Wal-Mart and Meijer usually sell paint that is fairly old, and low quality. I wouldn’t recommend buying from them unless you have to. Academy and Oshman’s are usually decent, but I would still recommend buying from your field or online if possible. Most Paintball Fields also sell paint, but many times it is overpriced. Paintball websites also sell paint. When I buy paint online, I buy from www.paintballgear.com . They have very good prices on paint, especially Zap. Many times websites will have a deal for free shipping or some kind of discount if you order paint in bulk. www.firstcallpaintball.com is one of those places. They sell paint in bulk and give free shipping if you buy in bulk. This is good if you are on a team and have a tournament or something like that, but if you let paint sit around for too long it will go bad.

Paintball Storage
After playing, Paint should be stored in a cool area out of the sun. DO NOT leave your paint in the garage or any hot, humid area. It should not be kept too cold either, or the paint will get hard and brittle, and might break in your gun or hurt other people. A closet is a good place to store your paint, it is cool and out of the way. If you have a sealed bag of paint, don’t open it until you have to, because the sealed bag will help keep it fresh.

Helpful Links
PBReview's Bore Size Chart
How Paintballs are made
Everything you wanted to know about range and accuracy!
Very Important Article- Warpig Test
One of the crucial things this article states is that a paintball with a much bigger bore size than the barrel will get better efficiency. It also states that a matching bore size and a short barrel tip will give you the best accuracy.
Thanks to CoolT for the above link and information.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
255/45/17 Falken Azenis Tires
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge

Last edited by STO Balla 22 : 06-09-2004 at 04:27 PM.
STO Balla 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Socom6789

Send a message via AIM to Socom6789
Deserves a sticky
Empire Reloader
Dead On RVA
Home Made Drop Forward
Maddman Spring Kit
32° Hyperstar Bolt
20 oz & 16 oz w/anti siphon

Last edited by Socom6789 : 05-03-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Socom6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
STO Balla 22

Thanks for the support, I put a lot of work into it. Anybody else think it deserves a sticky or have any comments?
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge

Last edited by STO Balla 22 : 05-03-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
swfreak
Airman

Send a message via AIM to swfreak
Thumbs up

STICKY POTENTIAL! I'll delete this if it becomes sticky but just giving you support for now. Good Work!
Mokal Fokus 2, not your ordinary spyder clone...
swfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
STO Balla 22

Thanks a lot, hopefully it will get stickied.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #6
CARBON
ScubaPro

Very nice
Old 05-04-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Jaster
The one and only

Added this to the links in the ultimate sticky!

Great work!!
--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

--------------------------------------------------
Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
STO Balla 22

Thanks for the sticky . CoolT, do you have any idea why the link doesn't work? I did everything right, maybe I got the URL wrong?
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge

Last edited by STO Balla 22 : 05-04-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #9
ace6160
Super Mario

Great job! Except you need to add that paint-barrel matchup is not as important for an open bolt marker as it is for a closed bolt.
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!”
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Trader Feedback

I'm a rec-balla and i have a gun, isn't that really all that matters?

Last edited by ace6160 : 05-04-2004 at 12:41 PM.
ace6160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
STO Balla 22

It is important for accuracy, just not as important because the ball won't roll out. I will add that though.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 05-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #11
snipe83

GREAT JOB ON THE STICKY MAN...!!!
snipe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Ice Marine
Marine Made Of Ice

Send a message via AIM to Ice Marine
Hey, for the places where you can buy paintballs, you may also want to add FirstCallPaintball. I "think" that they have a "no broken paintball" guarentee. They also sell paint in bulks with free shipping, which is also good. Not 100% sure on the guarentee, but I'm pretty sure.
Ice Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #13
zach4721

another thing i noticed was that you did not include nelson hot spot as good cheeap paint. its $35 a case it is pretty good stuff. it has a thick fill and good shell that breaks on oppent and not in your gun. straight seams and every thing. fits well in my teardrop. but good work
20oz CO2 W/ON-OFF
MAYBE SOME MORE UPGRADES TO COME??
zach4721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 AM   #14
STO Balla 22

Ok, I added that. Thanks for the help.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 06-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #15
zach4721

nice
20oz CO2 W/ON-OFF
MAYBE SOME MORE UPGRADES TO COME??
zach4721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #16
HurleyHero67
Accomplished Exile

Location: Radford during the school year, but Richmond is home.
Send a message via AIM to HurleyHero67 Send a message via Yahoo to HurleyHero67
Quote:
Originally posted by STO Balla 22
It is important for accuracy
You're opening up a can of worms with that statement, that's hardly fact. Believe it or not, the opposite has been proved several times. Consistancy is a MUCH more deciding factor in accuracy than paint-barrel match.

Oh yeah, and most markers are open bolt, not closed.
HurleyHero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #17
STO Balla 22

I added a disclaimer about paint to barrel match, and I fixed the type-o about open bolt guns. That's the third time I've mixed that up recently. Thanks for the help.
Tein S-Tech Springs
Black 17x8 Rota Torques
20% Tint
Autometer Boost Gauge
Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #18
RyanCanfield

Send a message via AIM to RyanCanfield
what is stickied?

(ON ITS WAY):
SPYDER TL
SPYDER FLASH LCD WITH J AND J CERAMIC

AIM:wxminorthreatxw
EMAIL:Nayrnac321@comcast.net
www.jifonline.tk

From Federal Way, WA

-Ryan Canfield
RyanCanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #19
OWNAGE
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanCanfield
what is stickied?
congradulations on revising a 1 month DEAD thread

think about it....why do u sticky things in real life? because they are important things

exactly the same as at pbr and other forums, they are kept at the top of the forum so no one will keep asking the same questions (but they still do )

and that post was OT

www.APD-Direct.com - Arizona's only authorized dealer for the DLX Luxe
Fort Adobe Paintball Complex - Play on Turf

Green/Purple CCM Series 6 Pump + Gear Stolen!
OWNAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
Redrust422

Send a message via AIM to Redrust422
what's OT?

Hah j/k I would rather see an OT'er than someone flaming a forum newbie.
One man to overthrow,

In the name of love,
One more in the name of love.
Redrust422 is offline   Reply With Quote