pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Dye Precision

Old 04-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Matrix Ultimate Sticky and FAQ Page

Being the simple person I am, I decided to remodel the Matrix Ultimate Sticky and Official FAQ threads and combine them into one simple package. I'm gonna try to keep this as simple as possible in hopes that people will actually read this and be able to find out what they want to know BEFORE they post a new thread asking a question that has been answered many times before. I will also be adding some things, so if you would like to have something included, you can pm me and i will get right on it. So here it is:

Official Matrix FAQ:

What is the Matrix?
The Matrix is a line of High-end, electro-pneumatic paintball markers. The line started out with the Matrix LED (Light Emitting Diode) marker, created by Airtech. This version of the marker never became very popular. In 2002, Generation-E released the Matrix LCD (Liquid Crystalline Display), which became much more widely available than it's predecessor and saw use on several pro teams. At this point, many custom versions of the Matrix began to appear, as well as upgrades from several different companies. The Matrix line was purchased by DYE in late 2003, and as well as creating their own version of the Matrix LCD, they released a completely revolutionary design under the Matrix name, known as the DM4. In 2005, DYE released an updated form of the DM4 for the new year; the DM5. Also, a DYE sister company, Proto, released their own version of the Matrix.

How does the Matrix work?
The Matrix is classified as a High-end, fully electro-pneumatic, open-bolt spool valve design. It operates off a standard 9v battery and compressed air/nitrogen system. The firing cycle is as follows: propellant air is supplied to the in-line vertical regulator via a bottomline hose setup. The regulator controls the air flow and limits it to approximately 170psi entering the marker. This regulated air then travels through the transfer spool and some of the air flows to the LPR (Low Pressure Regulator) where it is limited to an even lower pressure before being directed to the solenoid valve (Air flows directly to the solenoid on models that do not incorporate an LPR), while the rest of the air travels to the bolt section, where it is stored in a chamber before being used to propel the paintball. When the Matrix is at rest, the air that is transferred to the solenoid valve is allowed to flow to the front section of the bolt, pushing the bolt to the rearward, or open position. When the trigger is pulled, the board reverses the polarity of the current traveling to the solenoid, which sets up an electromagnetic field through the coil in the rear section of the solenoid. This field then pushes the solenoid spool forwards, which redirects the flow to the back of the bolt, while also venting the air from the front. This causes the bolt to slide forward. At the time the breech is fully closed off by the bolt, the dump chamber is no longer sealed off. The air that had been in the chamber is now released, and moves through the front of the bolt to propel the paintball. The solenoid returns to the rest position and the bolt is retracted, and ready to fire again.

What makes the Matrix worth buying?
Well the only thing that makes anything worth your money is something that you like. That is all there is to it. However, the Matrix does have many key strengths that give it an edge over the competition. The primary strength of the Matrix is it's accuracy. It is arguably the most accurate gun on the market, because of several reasons. First off, it has the least kick of anything out there, no questions asked. This is because of low LPR and operating pressures, combined with very little moving mass during the firing cycle. While most markers generally have a hammer, ram, and bolt all moving while a shot is fired, the only moving component of the Matrix is the bolt itself. The low kick provided by the Matrix ensures that you are able to keep you paint on target without constantly readjusting your aim. The Matrix also has very consistent airflow to the paintball, as well as low impact from the bolt and less turbulence while firing, which results in much tighter shot groupings and velocity spreads. Smart Parts has advertised this concept to the death with their Shocker SFT, claiming it to be the most accurate, despite the fact that the Matrix had been operating this way long before the SFT had been released. Another strength of all Matrix models is their high rate of fire, as well as solid reliability. Despite these advantages, the Matrix does have it's drawbacks, such as relatively low air efficiency, need for regular maintenance and the fact that the Matrix has generally been bigger and heavier than other markers in it's price range. However, the Matrix remains one of the top performing options on the market, and should definitely be considered when searching for a new high-end.

What is Bolt stick, and how can it be solved?
Bolt stick is an inherent problem in spool valve based markers. Bolt stick occurs when an excess of friction causes the bolt to stick in either the forward or rest position, and can lead to FSDO (First Shot Drop Off) meaning the first shot after being in the rest position for a length of time will be a lower velocity than subsequent shots, or Shootdown which is when velocity drops off during high rates of fire. These problems are often caused by worn o-rings, old or thick grease, lack of sufficient lubrication, or too low pulse or pressure settings. For more information on how to solve these problems, see the link in the "Sticky" section.

What is the difference between different models of the Matrix?
There are two major categories of models, the old and the new. The older models include the LCD, LED and many custom variants of these guns. The newer models include the DM4, DM5, Proto and the soon to be released DMC. While they all operate with the same basic design, the details of this design vary from model to model. For more information about differences between various versions, check out the link in the "Sticky".

Matrix Ultimate Sticky:

Sites to know:
*TMC The Matrix Center
*Dye Matrix
*MatrixOwner.com

Helpful links:

*Musashi or Virtue?

*Bolt kit maintenance- older models

*What Lube?

*Different Matrix models

*Preventing FSDO and Shootdown

*Original FAQ

*Matrix manuals

*Efficiency info

*Matrix comparison

* Ultralite Frame Faq

* PM6 Internal Diagram

* Ultralite Frame Manual

Please! If you have anything you want to add, let me know and I can add it. If you want to know something, I can find the answer and add that too. And credit to the people who created the original Sticky/FAQ, no way I could have done this from scratch. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Kowz_76 : 07-18-2006 at 10:04 AM.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Homer

Guys PLEASE keep this thread as clean as possible. Meaning no clutter or nothing off-topic or related to enhancing this thread.

In fact after a bit I will delete this post as well.

Speedy2K4 has taken some time and is trying to make this forum better. He noticed that some of the other forums have been "cleaning up" their stickies and wants to as well. I have also received a few PM's from you requesting the same.

So since Speedy started this, he has full editing priveleges. What he says stays stays, What he says goes goes.

If you want to thank him PLEASE start another thread.

Only post info that will help other learn their markers better, improve their ability to tech their markers, and make finding answers to commonly asked Matrix questions/problems easy.

I'm not gonna Thank Speedy as that would be breaking my own rule, in this thread. And remember this will also be delted when it's appropriate (this posting. NOT this thread).

Oh and we're using this as a replacement, NOT an addition to the stickys. Keep that in mind while adding to this thread.

PROUDLY sponsored by: Paintballwizard.com, National Paintball Supply, DYE, and Draxxus Paint

THANK YOU Boston Red Sox!

Wearing Spandex is a privelege, NOT a right.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for more stickies, that either I or you could write that you think would help out. I haven't recieved a single suggestion since I made this thread, and I know you've gotta have some ideas. Just pm me with anything you come up with.

-Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Bubu Kitty

You should find some one to make vids on how to clean the bolt, lpr, and hyper 2 reg. yes i know it tells u how in the manual, but visuals are so muh better. Like u would rather like 2 c 2 girls making out thn hear about it. GET MY DRIFT!!

Last edited by Bubu Kitty : 07-27-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Bubu Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
f2f4

I am working on it now, actually.
f2f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #6
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

yeah eff has ever so kindly decided he will help improve our dye sticky, and is no doubt working on some amazing info. if you have any suggestions for him, please let me or him know and we'll try to get it done.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #7
CoolT

I was planning on making a 'do it all' guide to the DM/Proto but I'm looking forward to see what you guys make. If you need me to cover an area I can. I have a digi to take pics too.

I just got a new board from Dye earlier this week after I had to send my board in because it would turn itself off.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:25 AM   #8
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Alright great, eff if you need any help with anything just pm me or CoolT and we can try to work something out i guess. i don't have my DM4 anymore for pictures but if there is anything else feel free to ask.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
!mpuL$3_
GotchA Norfolk

Send a message via AIM to !mpuL$3_
Whats up guys, me again.. I was wondering what kinda of barrel threads a DM3 has, because I was on www.firstcallpaintball.com and looking up a freak kit or a boomstick and was like..snap what kinda threads does it take. So Speedy since you know a lot about trix's can you answer that for me. I also want to know what kind of board upgrades I can do to a DM3.

Thanks
-Josh Houck
Old 08-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

the standard breech is cocker barrel threads and matrix feedneck threads, but aftermarket breech types may have different threading. as for board upgrades, there are several. tadao, advantage, etc. i would personally recommend the tadao 5.0 board, or a 3.0/4.0 board with a musashi 3 chip.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Blue Baller

Hey, nice work man. I wouldn't ever have the motivation to write up another sticky ever again.

Trader feedback
Blue Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
thequickster4
Fast as a speedy bullet

Speedy, sweet sticky, nice work. Maybe you should add an action pics sticky.

Mid/Back playa

Ninja '05 Planet Eclipse EGO

Black '03 Smart Parts Impulse

Confucious say man who run behind car get exhausted

THE MAN MAKES THE MARKER
thequickster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #13
BigTarget04
Who Dat?!?!

Send a message via AIM to BigTarget04 Send a message via Yahoo to BigTarget04
Here is a link for the dm6 manual:
http://www.dyematrix.com/forum/index...=post&id=62964

BigTarget04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
sniper21
Natural Born Killer

Send a message via AIM to sniper21
the orange bolt settings and other upgrade settings for guns would be good. and pesky air leaks and how to solve it.
sniper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
Paintball manic

Send a message via AIM to Paintball manic Send a message via Yahoo to Paintball manic
I'm starting to work on "How to lube the bolt, etc." for a PM5, with pics, so when that goes up (probably tomorrow), can you add that to this? Thanks.
Paintball manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
f2f4

Troubleshooting diagram:

(I made this)

Enjoy.
f2f4 is offline   Reply With Quote