pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Dragun / Odyssey

Old 10-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
TESballer

Dragunfly FAQ/Upgrades

Dragunfly FAQ/Upgrades

This is a joint sticky by PB_Matty and myself (TESballer). Majority of the text is written by PB_Matty, and the upgrade links by me. The links were formed around what PB_Matty and others have said since I don't own a Dragunfly. If you want me to add anything just PM.

***To see the original posts click here.

The Dragun International Empire Dragunfly is a closed bolt design marker that borrows many design and most functional aspects from the Worr Games Product Autococker in it's many versions. Most closely the Dragunfly resembles the mini-cocker line due to the fact that the vertical ASA is located on the front block of the marker.

Dragunfly's and Autocockers are both closed bolt mechanical or hybrid electro markers that can most easily be described as being at the most basic level a pump gun that takes care of the pumping for you, sometimes at speeds in the 20 ball per second range as is the case for Dragunfly LCD's and the Eblade and many other electronic framed Autocockers.

Here is an animation of an Autococker at work, but it also is the Exact same way that Dragunfly's work. Understanding how something works is necessary for being able to maintain and trouble shoot as well as fix your marker if you have problems.

Due to the fact that Autocockers and Dragunfly's function in the exact same way it is then possible to use all of the information presented in the Autococker forum for use hear as well. Please keep in mind tho that there are a very few differences in the markers (more on that later).

Here are some useful links from the Autococker mega-sticky originally authored by amzng_spyderman

General Faq

Timing an Autococker and how it works

Timing Trainer Program

How to tune your Regs/velocity settings

The leak thread

Timing
Timing is an issue that often scares players off from purchasing an Autococker or similar marker, but need not be a horror story waiting to happen. The Dragunfly is shipped from the factory pre-timed so it should be ready to go from the moment you pick it up, If that is the case (which it seems to be most of the time) you won't have to worry about any timing issues unless you yourself un-time the marker.
There is a common misconception that leads people to believe that somehow their marker can somehow "magically" become un-timed. I've had one Dragunfly MECH and an Ebladed Mini- Black Magic Autococker and NEVER had to retime either one of them despite the fact that I had them both almost all of the way apart several times.
Bottom Line----Unless you are going to basically take the whole gun apart and put it back together you won't have to worry about timing....Dragun should take care of any timing issues if you don't feel comfortable tackling them if the gun comes to you in untimed condition.

Co2 and the Dragunfly
-Co2 and the Dragunfly- Many potential Dragunfly consumers also seem to shy away from the gun due to the fact that they believe that they will have to get an expensive Nitro tank in order to use their new gun. This is not necessarily true....
The first Autocockers made were designed to run solely off Co2 as that was the only propellant available in the "old" days. Since then the overall basic design hasn't really changed that much until the advent of the electronic Autococker. In short, running a Mechanical Autococker or the Dragunfly off Co2 isn't going to damage the marker in some mysterious way. Yes, you'll break more o-rings and soft parts and your shots might not be as consistent, but you aren't going to destroy your new investment by running Co2 through it. I would however strongly suggest anti-siphoning your Co2 tank and/or using a regulator that works well with Co2 (i.e. the Palmer's Stabilizer).
For the LCD and led Dragunfly's I would be sure to go ahead and spend a little extra for HPA. The higher rates of fire achievable by these markers means that the Co2 would be going through your gun much more quickly and therefore would pose a greater threat of freezing up parts and/or experiencing shootdown. Also I wouldn't like subjecting the sensitive electronic Solenoid to the potential negative side-effects that Co2 could have on it.

Upgrades

Barrels
Everybody who knows can tell you that a good barrel will make a huge difference in the performance of any marker. In the world of closed bolt guns the barrel also serves another important function. Due to the fact that when a closed bolt marker is at rest the bolt is forward (closed to the feed tube) the paintball in the barrel is in front of the ball detent. If however your paintballs are significantly smaller than the bore size of the barrel your paint will simply roll down the barrel. This severely handicaps your snap-shooting game. Therefore it is increasingly crucial to buy a barrel kit with several different bore size backs so that you are capable of ensuring that this doesn't happen.

Some suggestions- Used Freak kits are getting rather inexpensive, ACI PHAT barrel systems seem to be going for far under MSRP, and many other barrel systems are now readily available. ( A word of caution- some barrel kits have just a couple of inserts which are really large bore sizes and therefore aren't that helpful, 3A-which I'd avoid anyway, and the new Odyssey kits some to mind.
***Important- Dragunfly's take Spyder threaded barrels.

Loaders
Although this technically isn't an upgrade, it is important to the performance of your marker so I'll list it here. For Mechanical markers I would go ahead and shell out the $40-50 for an Empire reloader or 12 volt revvy. Some people might not think that an electronic loader is necessary for a mechanical closed-bolt gun, but keep in mind that closed bolt guns don't feed nearly as efficiently as open-bolt guns. I had to play with my Dragunfly with a VL200 once and it just about drove me nuts.
For electronic versions a fast loader is a must, I'm a firm Evo II fan (especially for the Z-boarded version), but Halos will work well too. The LCD and led's don't have eye's like an E-blades so a fast hopper has to be fast and consistent.

Feed Necks
Clamping feednecks aren't something that's immediately though about when upgrading a marker, but they give you the advantage of being ably to fit any type of loader without having to worry about sanding it or it being to lose. There is nothing worse than losing your hopper on the field because of a loose feedneck.

Lapco makes clamping feednecks to fit Spyder markers and I believe they will fit Dragunfly's as well...look for the one that has feet that are held in place by screws rather than the screw-on type or the screw through feet type.

Lapco Spyder Feed Neck

New Designz Spyder Clamping Low Rise Without Holes

Vaporworks Spyder Kingman Vertical Feed

Bolts
Basically a bolt doesn't do much...Delrin bolts are lighter so your cocking mass is somewhat lighter so you can have a higher rate of fire and less kick. If you have a JAM bolt don't worry about any upgrade here. If you don't, get the JAM bolt. It does work quite nicely.

Dragunfly JAM Bolt

I’ve heard different stories some saying that any autococker bolt will work and only STO style bolts work, well here are some STO bolts.

AKA STO Lightning Bolt

White Wolf Airsmithing STO Blitz Bolt

Last edited by TESballer : 10-09-2005 at 05:39 AM.
TESballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
TESballer

Valves
I still think I heard somewhere that Dragunfly's have high flow Spyder-size valves. I'm still trying to confirm this, but if so than you could look into the MANY upgrade valves available for Spyders.

Suggestions: Maddman Rocket valve, AKA valve....

AKA Spyder Tornado Valve

Maddman Kingman Rocket Valve

32 Degrees Spyder Turbo Valve

Pneumatics
Unfortunately if you have a Mech it seems that you are stuck with the three-way that comes with the gun. I don't see why this is a huge issue, but some people like to change them.
I think that Autococker rams and LPR's are compatible.
QEV's would also be a good upgrade for LCD's.

***All autococker cocking rods, LPR’s, and rams fit, but if you replace the ram you have to replace the coupler and the pump rod.

KAPP FAT Ram, Cocker, Black

Shocktech A/C Ram

Regulators
The Dragunfly will accept any HPR. For Co2 use get the Palmer's Stabilizer. For HPA just get one that you like. The Bob Long Torpedo, WGP Black Magic, and ANS regs are all great, consistent regulators.

Trigger Frames
The hinge trigger frame by WGP will work if you want to replace your mech's frame, there are other's that may work as well with a little tweaking and or modifications.

For those who don't mind the stock frame too much but don't like the stiffness of the trigger pull, just go ahead and clip about a quarter of an inch off the trigger spring and stretch it out and then put it back in place. Also I found that WD-40ing the workings of the trigger before playing helped to smooth out the pull.

Also, I've seen Dragunfly's with Eblades on them, so it is possible....

Mech Frame

Autococker Hinges fit.

Worrgames Autococker Hinge Trigger Frame

Dye Autococker 2Finger Hinge Trigger Frame

Grips

45 frame grips on the Mech

Ram

Autococker rams fit, but if you replace the ram you have to replace the coupler and the pump rod.

Shocktech A/C Ram

Hammers

Autococker hammers work.

ANS A/C Hammer Kit

Velocity screws

Autococker Velocity screws work

KAPP Autococker Rear Vel. Adjust Screw

Springs

Autococker springs work

Some springs at Paintballgear.com here

Beavers

Dragunfly Beavertail
(If you can find it PM me >TESballer)
TESballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Jenkins

Good work

Be sure to pm a mod to sticky it.

Good luck in Iraq Dave
United States Marine Corps
Semper Fidelis

"Paintball kiddies cry that they want the FASTEST, LIGHTEST, and most EFFICENT marker".. a MARKER, is nothing but a TOOL, like a hammer or saw. Just because you own a hammer and a saw, doesn’t mean you can build a house…
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
MecTurtleCocker
I want my..I want my MTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESballer View Post
Valves
I still think I heard somewhere that Dragunfly's have high flow Spyder-size valves. I'm still trying to confirm this, but if so than you could look into the MANY upgrade valves available for Spyders.

Suggestions: Maddman Rocket valve, AKA valve....

AKA Spyder Tornado Valve

Maddman Kingman Rocket Valve

32 Degrees Spyder Turbo Valve

[Mec Edit] The valve bodies may be used, but you will have to use your original valvepin [Mec Edit]

Pneumatics
Unfortunately if you have a Mech it seems that you are stuck with the three-way that comes with the gun. I don't see why this is a huge issue, but some people like to change them.
I think that Autococker rams and LPR's are compatible.
QEV's would also be a good upgrade for LCD's.

***All autococker cocking rods, LPR’s, and rams fit, but if you replace the ram you have to replace the coupler and the pump rod.

Shocktech A/C Ram

Regulators
The Dragunfly will accept any HPR. For Co2 use get the Palmer's Stabilizer. For HPA just get one that you like. The Bob Long Torpedo, WGP Black Magic, and ANS regs are all great, consistent regulators.

Trigger Frames
The hinge trigger frame by WGP will work if you want to replace your mech's frame, there are other's that may work as well with a little tweaking and or modifications.

For those who don't mind the stock frame too much but don't like the stiffness of the trigger pull, just go ahead and clip about a quarter of an inch off the trigger spring and stretch it out and then put it back in place. Also I found that WD-40ing the workings of the trigger before playing helped to smooth out the pull.

Also, I've seen Dragunfly's with Eblades on them, so it is possible....
[Mec Edit] You must use the stock SMC solenoid, but the connecting plug must be replaced with the Eblade solenoid plug [Mec Edit]

Mech Frame

Autococker Hinges fit.

Worrgames Autococker Hinge Trigger Frame

Dye Autococker 2Finger Hinge Trigger Frame

Grips

45 frame grips on the Mech

Ram

Autococker rams fit, but if you replace the ram you have to replace the coupler and the pump rod.

Shocktech A/C Ram

Hammers

Autococker hammers work.

ANS A/C Hammer Kit

Velocity screws

Autococker Velocity screws work

KAPP Autococker Rear Vel. Adjust Screw

Springs

Autococker springs work

Some springs at Paintballgear.com here

Beavers

Dragunfly Beavertail
(If you can find it PM me >TESballer)
[Mec Edit] Available on eBay, or if you can find someone selling the stock frame from their M1/Dfly, try to get the beavertail [Mec Edit]
Crede777: I stay invisible so I don't get my butt handed to me by Mec.
Evil_Wayz: I heard that watching Mec argue was a beautiful thing to behold, but I didn't believe it til now.
GrimAssasin: wow....mtc does have a way with words. ..
mjr_paranoid: There is a difference between juvenile sniping and annoying with style. You definately attack with style Mech.
MecTurtleCocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
Jaster
The one and only

Nice work
and stuck!
--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

--------------------------------------------------
Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
DarkeWolf

Posted some more information on the eblade conversion in the original thread. http://www.pbreview.com/forums/t264808/

---Dragun T-1 Green--68/4500 DXS--evo2 w.Z board--RMR KillStick--CP Reg--12" J&J Edge Kit/12" Evil Pipe---
---Dragun Drallion Blue--68/3k crossfire--evo2 w.Yboard--14" Evil Pipe--E2'd--44mag+QEVs -- SCM3-AKA Sidewinder---
---Dragun TES Blue/Black ---- Dragun T-1 Black-- Parts ---
A paintball community PBO! SundragonPPS.com
www.scenariodreams.com Evo2 Battery Door Mod
DarkeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
bunkermst3r77

whats the best gun and upgrades on this page for u?
bunkermst3r77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
RealPB
My loader fell off...

Send a message via AIM to RealPB
Any chance the front block screw is interchangable with WGP's? Also, can they take standard 'cocker pump kits?
RealPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
MecTurtleCocker
I want my..I want my MTV

The front block uses a set screw in the bottom of the body, in the same way the valve is held in.

So no, anything pertaining to the front block itself cannot be changed.
Crede777: I stay invisible so I don't get my butt handed to me by Mec.
Evil_Wayz: I heard that watching Mec argue was a beautiful thing to behold, but I didn't believe it til now.
GrimAssasin: wow....mtc does have a way with words. ..
mjr_paranoid: There is a difference between juvenile sniping and annoying with style. You definately attack with style Mech.
MecTurtleCocker is offline   Reply With Quote