pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Masks

Old 08-22-2001, 06:25 AM   #1
Killer Kat
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Killer Kat
Flex too Humid? Fan it Yourself!

Well I'm very unhappy with the lack of posting around fans in this the "mask forum" So I built my own! Things have been alittle slow at work so I brought in my flex ize, changed the lens and set out to put some kindda fan system into the bad boy, Now I'm not about to claim to be a master electrician and I can't go into a alot of theroy so if you need help with the common sense stuff don't try and do this yourself!(don't cut, or solder anything until you've got it all layed out as to where it's goin go, and stay) . First I went to the electrical shop (you guys will have to go to Radio Shack) and got two 1.18 " NMB 12volt dc fans, a very small toggle switch, three 9 volt battery's and three 9 volt battery connectors, and 4 small bolts, nuts, and 8 washers (these have gotta fit the pre-drilled holes in the corners of the little fans) and a couple feet of 18 gauge wire. With your visor removed, you can (plug in your soldering irons so it's good and hot, cause you'll need it by the time your done drillin) drill out the pre-stamped hole guide of the (over your left eye) flex mask. now place the two small fans (face label down) in between were the visiors center stem plugs back into the mask (they should butt up to the back plate that your forehead touches and form a small V shape) with any luck the holes will line up with the vent holes already in the top part of the mask for you to hold the fans in place with the nuts, bolts and washers. Ok touch the soldering iron if this happens after you do it's ready! Cut any excess wire and connect the two fans together in series (the red off off fan # 1, to the black off of fan # 2) this will change the voltage to 24v, you should solder these connections and wrap'em with some tape too. Solder the black wire (coming off fan # 1) to one of the toggle switch terminals, solder another small piece of wire(about 8") on the other terminal of the toggle switch, put the visor back in place and tuck and hide the wires where ever you want'em. So know you should have one red wire (coming off from the fan # 2) and the 8 inch piece coming from the toggle switch, , so that the negative terminal is on the left and the positive is on the right of battery # 1, place the other two batteries in this same alignment and tape the three 9 volt batteries together side to side, take one of the 9 volt battery connector and hook it to the positive terminal of battery # 1 and the negative of battery # 2, take another of the 9 volt battery connector and hook it to the positive terminal of battery # 2 and the negative of battery # 3. The three batteries are now also in series with a output value of approx 27v, Now here's where I got creative! Carefully cut the third 9 volt battery connector in half and solder the negative clip to the 8 inch piece of wire coming from the toggle switch. Solder the red wire coming off fan # 2 to the positive clip, Now find a old eye glasses (pocket protector style) case, and cut it down (don't cut off the part that clips onto your belt or pocket) slip it in on the left side right between the strap on the goggles and the mask itself, use the belt clip on the case and slip that over the top of the mask (the goggle strap will hold it tight to the mask while the clip will keep it from slippin right thru), Hook up the battery clips to the battery and slip the battery into the glasses case! Put the mask on and run around the block 4 or 5 times until you're really sweating and huffin' Now flip the switch! Try it! I think you'll like it!
Old 08-22-2001, 06:31 AM   #2
Killer Kat
Registered Member

Some Pic's

This is a side shot you can see where the eye case is!
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:33 AM   #3
Killer Kat
Registered Member

#2 Back side

Now this does show the clip of the eye case being over the side of the mask as it should be worn, But you get the general idea.
Attached Images To view attachments your post count must be 0 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:34 AM   #4
Killer Kat
Registered Member

# 3 Last One

These little babies really churn alot of Air!
Old 08-22-2001, 03:47 PM   #5
Halliday
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Halliday Send a message via AIM to Halliday
Very cool. I'll have to read your instructions closer sometime. About how much did all the materials cost? How loud is it? People often ask "What's that buzzing?" when I have my X-Wind going.

You name it, I've broken it.

CPPA #582

Last edited by Halliday : 08-22-2001 at 03:50 PM.
Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 07:32 PM   #6
MOOSEontheLoose
Rec Ball Extraordinair

Send a message via AIM to MOOSEontheLoose
wow, thats really well done. IM gonna do the same thing to my flex7, but im not gonna go running my fans at 24v. im assuming those fans are for computers, which would make em 12v, which would make em overly loud at 24v and would make em have a shorter life and less efficient with the batteries. Im either gonna use a single sunon 40x15mm fan or a T&T 40x10mm that I have laying around for computer stuff.

I will let y'all know how mine turns out
MOOSEontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 07:37 PM   #7
Halliday
Registered Member

Cool

The ONLY bad thing is that eyeglass case. I'd just wire down the batts under the strap. Less obtrusive=cooler

CPPA #582
Old 08-29-2001, 08:05 AM   #8
Killer Kat
Registered Member

It's not bad

The weight nor the noise is any problem I've posted this shot to show what was suppose to have been done with the clip part of the cut down eye glass case, Sorry about that.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:20 PM   #9
ThaFiend
ERR...........

Send a message via AIM to ThaFiend
yeah my friend did something very similar to that to his IZE, too. but I bet if a paintball hit that switch, it'd break right off, unless the shot was longer range. but still, I'd try to re-locate it if possible.
ThaFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 03:17 AM   #10
Halliday
Registered Member

Switch the switch?

Nah. It's cool there. That's where the X-Wind fan switch goes. I doubt it's break off.

CPPA #582
Old 08-31-2001, 10:42 AM   #11
Andrew
Administrator

Hehe

I saw your post at PBC Killer.

My mask fogged a lot too so I decided to try to do something like you did.

I bought two 1 inch (25mm) 5 volt fans. I mounted them with zip ties.

I did basically the same thing that you did, but I only used one 9 volt and a put the battery inside the mask. I'll try to get a picture of it...right by your cheek bone there is extra space and I just zip tied a 9 volt in there. I covered it up with electrical tape so I wont get shocked when it rains
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 01:59 PM   #12
AllOleander
Sweet Shot

Send a message via ICQ to AllOleander Send a message via AIM to AllOleander Send a message via Yahoo to AllOleander
LOL

I can just seen the news post on the frontpage of this site....

"

Posted by: Andrew's brother

Andrew was involved in a freak accident this weekend while playing paintball. It started to rain and authorities think he was shocked to death by a 12v battery.. We will keep you informed of his dragic death..

"

hehe Godbless Andrew
- All Aluminum, Padded Paintball Carry Case w/ Dual Locks and Key *Good Condition - 3 Months Old*
AllOleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 03:03 AM   #13
Magadeth
Intergalatic Paintmaster

I did the same thing with a radio shack fan a while back and started a fad with the guys I play with. Now almost everyone has some sort of batteries hanging off or in thier mask. One thing I would suggest is that people use the zip tie mount idea. It just seems safer to me.

Imo this is actually the quietest fan setup you can get. Last sat when we were playing a guy with his jt fan on came up and stood next to me while mine was running and I could hear his fan buzzing louder than mine. I had to laugh as he spent about $50 on his and mine cost like $10 in parts from radio shack.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:10 PM   #14
iwantamag

cool. you used computer fans right?
Old 09-10-2001, 11:16 AM   #15
Killer Kat
Registered Member

Cool is the Word!

Very cooling and yes they're 12 volt dc fans, I got all my stuff outta the surplus stock room at work so I'm not really sure what the actual cost would be!
Old 09-10-2001, 01:01 PM   #16
iwantamag

sweet thx

sweet! thanks i think i'll try it i have the stuff already...i think
Old 09-17-2001, 12:00 PM   #17
Head of over 12 IQ club

they got instructions for fans silencers and all sorts of stuff like this att www.geocties.com/pomanspaintball its really cool and you should check it out. and remember, you can get the parts cheaper from radio shack when theyre not looking *wink wink*

/\ \/ /\ t /\ R
Your partner in crime
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 12:09 PM   #18
iwantamag

[quote]Originally posted by Avatar
and remember, you can get the parts cheaper from radio shack when theyre not looking *wink wink*

/\ \/ /\ t /\ R
Your partner in crime
[/QUotE

LOL!

PS the link is nots werkin

Last edited by iwantamag : 09-17-2001 at 12:14 PM.
iwantamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 03:30 PM   #19
Killer Kat
Registered Member

Be Good!

Radio Shack wouldn't like that! Them boys have got technology hanging all over there stores! (spy camaras)You don't wanna get caught liftin' some small cash items, and gettin busted! That's crazy stupid, cause then the only winkin you'll be doin is with one eye open when your sleepin at county lock up Bubba's lookin for a new girlfriend, and I don't want it to be you!
Old 09-17-2001, 03:48 PM   #20
Richy_C

Send a message via AIM to Richy_C
Bubba?!? Bubba?!@
Richy_C is offline   Reply With Quote