pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > News > Stolen Equipment

Old 06-29-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
Menohl
Me in Southpark.

Send a message via AIM to Menohl Send a message via Yahoo to Menohl
How to avoid getting your marker stolen

OK, either this will get stickyed or this will get deleted. Most people would say that this is all common sense, but apparantly it is NOT because they are the main reasons people are getting their gear stolen.

1. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR MARKER LAYING AROUND WHEN YOU GET AN AIR REFILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 of the last 3 threads were the same thing "I layed my marker down and went to get an air refil and when i came back it was gone" Pick up your marker and take it with you, its not that difficult.

Look at it this way... Would you leave $800 laying out in front of 2 dozen strangers and simply walk away? NO!!! So why would you leave a $500-$800 marker laying around and walk away?!?

2. Spend $40 and get a good locking Storage container. That way your masks, gloves, markers, parts, tanks, etc... are secure and locked up if you do want to walk away from them.

There are several people at my field that have lockboxes with steel cable lanyards so they can not only lock up their gear, but they can secure it to the picnic tables so no one simply picks up the lockbox and walk away with it.

3. Storing gear in vehicles... If you store you marker gear in your vehicle all the time STOP DOING THIS!!! if people find out, your car will get broken into.

When you have your gear in your vehicle do not put it somewhere that it will not be visible from the outside (on the seat, on the rear seat) If someone walks by and see's that nice shiny timmy or cocker, you are almost always going to come back to a brick through the window and missing gear.

Put the equipment in your trunk, or under a seat where you can't see it. If you have a lockbox with a teather like i've already suggested, teather the box to the seat mounts so the box cannot be removed.

4. Take out a camera and take several pics of your marker with all its gear (aka hopper, bottle, etc...) Take a picture with you holding it, then take a picture of the SERIAL NUMBER!!!! then write the serial number down and store the pics and the serial number in a safe place. That way if your marker does get stolen, you can prove that its yours, and you have pictures to show people exactly what it looks like.

5. Take out a etcher and etch your name or initials on your marker.This doesn't even have to be on the outside of the marker, break it down and etch it somewhere on the inside that isn't going to hurt anyone. This way you have a mark hidden or visible that will once again prove that its your marker. (i have a 98C and i have my name etched on the handle frame under the rubber grips so if its stolen the person won't know its marked, but when i find it and take off the rubber grip there's the proof that its mine)

Hopefully people read this and actually listen. If more people would follow these 5 items there would be alot less posts in this forum, and i'm sure of those who would still post, more people would be getting their markers back.

Marker Setup:
Tippmann 98 Custom | GTA Inline Expansion Chamber | GTA Double Trigger | 32* Star Fire Bolt | J&J 14" Ceramic Barrel | Madmann Spring Kit | Viewloader 12V Revolution w/ X-Board | JCS 6" Offset Dovetail Sight Rail | Magnacraft 3-9X50 Illuminated Scope | 32* Coiled Remote w/ Slide Check | Thunder Pig In-Line CO2 Gauge | BP-USA Combat Folding Stock w/RVA | PMI 20oz. CO2 Tank w/Neoprene Woodland Camo Cover

Tippmann SL-68 II Pump SN #0185 | 14" J&J Ceramic Barrel | VL200 Hopper | Brass Eagle Red Dot Sight | Tippmann 9oz CO2 Tank

Tippmann 68 Special SN #4321 | 14" J&J Ceramic Barrel | VL200 Hopper | Tippmann 20oz CO2 Tank w/Siphon

Mask:
JT Elite Headshield | JT Elite Thermal Lens (Clear) | JT Vortex Fan (Black) | Olive Goggle Frame | Standard Olive Goggle Strap | Woodland Camo Goggle Skinz | Custom Woodland Camo Paintjob

Gear:
32* Woodland Camo 6+1 | 6 Paintballtogo.com 140rd Pods (Smoke)

Tornado Pod Loader

Viewloader ProFlex Squeegee | PMI Stick Squeegee | Redz Camo Stick Squeegee Leg Sheath
Menohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
KnownKilla

smart man indeed. Im an honest person but a Dm4 is a Dm4. You know what i'm saying, be smart. TRUST NO ONE.

The power of the ninja
KnownKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
PMI_Guy
Currently out of season

Send a message via AIM to PMI_Guy Send a message via Yahoo to PMI_Guy
http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...hreadid=209238
Old 07-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
HypoKryTe

Man I Caught A Dude Trying To Steal My New Auto Cocker, Lets HJust Say I Am More Safe With My Stuff, and he almost didnt live to use his!
HypoKryTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
jeffthrowspaint

I dont understand why people pay $1000 and up for a sick marker, then leave it unattended. That is just shear stupidity, What would posess one to do such a thing!?. The same thing go's for people who trade markers over the internet. Would you honestly ship yours over the internet hopeing someone sends theres in return?!?. Cmon now people, I only have a 04' vert cocker with mods and I never leave it out of my sight. Some People are shady and wont think twice about stuffing YOUR marker in there bag.
Rockin..NME #237 red to black dust.

E-bladed, nexus kitted cocker
jeffthrowspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Psycho_warden
The Phantom Guru

If you do go to get your air filled and want to leave your marker, then ask a friend of yours to watch it. If you are there alone, ask an older player (they are usually very honest and trustworthy) or a person with a gun alot nice than yours, ofcourse that probaly easier for me to say than you guys, check my sig.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #7
aZnpballa

i got me a metal suitcase that will fit my gun and tank (my 2 most valuable items) along with my freak barrel, it all fits and has 2 locks i lock it before i leave to get some drinks or food and if some1 sees another person tinkering with my box they would confront them, ide suggest this its only 30 dollars at home depo or lows.
aZnpballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Kernkiller1
Pod***** Supreme

Send a message via AIM to Kernkiller1
Lightbulb another really good tip

Another good way to prove that a marker is yors is by yor local shop!!!I know Ive had my gun in the shop that the owners know me and my gun very well(cuase of of the parts they put on it)!!!!!!
Whoever says that the best things in life are free is a dumass cuase paintball is the best dam thing in the world and it certainly is not free!!!
Kernkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:53 AM   #9
AK-FREEDOM

Send a message via AIM to AK-FREEDOM
I got one!

Make your Marker Ugly As Hell, and no one wont want to steal it..! HA ha HA! I win... then again no one really wants to beat the crap out of ther marker -_-...

If you have a grip, on your gun- put a peace of paper in it with a phone number, adress, and such... most people never check the grips of the gun. unless its to change a battery. or a GPS uplink Tracking device!

Last edited by AK-FREEDOM : 07-23-2004 at 03:57 AM.
AK-FREEDOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:46 AM   #10
cocker rocker

this post is sticky worthy but hay im not a mod

------------
88881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #11
Imagine24

I always keep my Spyder Imagine 2K4 with me at all times Even through it isn't the best gun, I don't want anyone taking it so I am very carefull.
Imagine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
Muffin_Man1356

Send a message via AIM to Muffin_Man1356
im always in eyesight of my impulse. if anyone took it, i would rip them a new ******* in their ear
Muffin_Man1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM   #13
shlobo

Send a message via AIM to shlobo
my solution to this problem, carry a loaded paintball pistol at all times!!!! if sum1 tries to steal your gun, shoot the hell out of them. i saw 1 guy trying to steal sum1s marker and the guys frend pulls out his DM4 and shot his legs til he coudnt run anymore. it doesnt always have to be a pistol but have sum1 with a really good gun keep an eye on ur gun at all times.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Pang Man
Pimp Daddy

He shot his legs till he couldn't run anymore? Damn that is funny! Seriously, though, I just have a friend keep an eye on it or I carry it around with me....But I like the idea with the metal suitcase thing. I think I might just get one.

Green 2K3 VF Cocker Red Worrblade chrome CP Short Reg and Flame Drop, Stainless KAPP ball detent Evil Pipe,Egg II, Pure Energy 72/30.

Backup: (The Urbanizer)
Spyder Sonix, 2L Coke bottle hopper, upgrading to 9v coke bottle, 20 oz backup Coke bottle hopper. Cardboard: "bodykit", grips/foregrip, 104 ct. hopper.
Black chrome (electrical tape )Duct tape accents on the trigger/guard, foregrip and on coke bottle, popsicle stick trigger.
Pang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #15
Migit109

Send a message via AIM to Migit109
i just got a impy and i might get a locking case too and prolly even my info inside the grip
i like the shoot um if they take it
Migit109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:29 AM   #16
TheSilentOne
TY! Come Again.

Send a message via AIM to TheSilentOne Send a message via MSN to TheSilentOne
I like the make ur marker ugly idea, I dont mind roughing it up a little, take some sandpaper to it, or some house paint, with my own little wtf, freaky, odd, personal annodizing. I honestly dont care what my gun looks like, and any marker I am going to buy, is going to be expensive, but not anything stupid like an Angel (anything) or a Bob Long (anything) or a Bonebreak (anything) because I dont like wasting my money...I would rather buy a gun thats not all milled and pretty and is going to attract a bunch of people..."Hey guys, look at this, its an Angel iR3"...or..."Hey guys, look at this hes got a Cocker". I personally have a Classic Impulse thats hooked up quite nicely, and yea sure, its not the lightest gun in the world, but either are Angels, or a lot of other guns. To keep a long story short (, and to avoid a "riot")... Im not materialistic, yes...guns do have a role in player performance...so im gonna spend atleast $400 and not get all crazy and spend a grand on sumtin that i could buy for 350-400 (impulse) and upgrade it to the equivelant of most markers out there... Your guns shouldnt be stolen anyways...you should take care of w/e u bring to the field...lock ur left over crap in the car, if u need it, push the little button thingy on ur remote, or turn the darn key, this problem is easily avoidable...this forum leans more towards..."Hey I lost this" or "Hey I found this, whats my reward?". Not a bunch of garbage about..."Hey, do this if u dont want ur marker stolen." I know half the reason people even bring all their markers out and put them on their tables or w/e they do with them is just to show all the people what neat and exciting stuff they have! You know..show off to their buddies, or try to intimidate the people with Spyders, or w/e... I used to have a spider shutter, with a stainles steel all american barrel (which was insanely heavy)...anyways, I took off the Beaver Tail, and I was shocked to see how many people asked me "how do u like that cocker?" I would look over my shoulder, and eventually notice they were talking to me... and reply with "You mean my Shutter?" Its suprising how fast that reply can end a sweet little conversation. Ok, for all u people who take ur stuff out and show it off to whoever ur trying to impress, I hope it gets stolen by some little kid, who has a Pirahna.

G'day Mates!

- Silent

Last edited by TheSilentOne : 11-01-2004 at 04:20 AM.
TheSilentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #17
pheonixaurora

Really, people acually steal guns, omg, i never even thought of that, the field I go to, ive never gotten my stuff stolen, not even once, i play games and leave my crap at a tabe and noone steals them, omg, where do u go to play.

P.S. Question mark key doesn't work!

pheonixaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #18
TheSilentOne
TY! Come Again.

Haha...u think if u have an angel, or a cocker, and some little kid, or some punk teenager, or some old sorry adult isnt gonna be jealous? Man...people get stuff stolen all the time, maybe its just bad where I am...but I hear it all the time, and I wouldnt be surprised If ive actually seen it happen, and was just unaware...it sucks, and its unfair, but thats life. I used to play at Pevs in Woodbridge, then it got moved to AG...played one tourney there, got fourth. Fourth isnt that great, but the two guys on my team I just met at school, and they really showed improvement, so I was happy with it. Anyways, on a more polite note...people should keep track of their stuff, and for all u who actally do get your equipment stolen..im sorry, thats gotta suck.

-Silent

P.S. Halo2 made 150 million in 24 hours...that means they sold just under 3 million copies...congrats to those guys.

Last edited by TheSilentOne : 11-09-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #19
gcwrestling22

who ever would steel someones marker is a dirtbag, at a local field by me there was a black out and people jacked two angels and an impulse and just ran out
gcwrestling22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 PM   #20
TheSilentOne
TY! Come Again.

Did they get caught...? If the lights went out and they just dodged tables, they probably set it up...I hope they didnt get the keys for the Angels, if there was any...not much you can do about the Imp, but if they didnt get the keys for the Angels, that would be great...but some noob would prob buy it anyways.