pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

View Poll Results: Is sniping possible?
Yes, in all cases 126 14.25%
Only in Woodsball/Scenario\'s 375 42.42%
It is possible but not effective 219 24.77%
Never 164 18.55%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #41
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
Paintball "snipers" require some basic things:

- Heightened use of camouflage and concealment
- Excellent shooting abilities
- Good spotting/detecting abilities
- Quiet and disciplined movement

This is nothing special. This is what a good player uses. So what differentiates them from anyone else? The fact that they are good? Equipment?
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #42
i_lovesniping

Ya but the problem is that they can hear me shoot and they just hear were its coming from and unload on me.
i_lovesniping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #43
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
You ever wondered why people want a marker that can lay down ropes of paint? Now you know.

I think that this problem lies with your use of concealment and cover. The better cover you use the less likely the other guy can hit you after you take out his friend. Then you can just snap him out.
Use ROF to yuor advantage as well. Wait til they're both in range and you burn them both down before they can react. I can guarantee you a player will be more surprised if he gets hit with a hail of paint than if the guy next to him just take one ball.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #44
vasmir

Send a message via AIM to vasmir
yeah ... you see 2 or 3 people standing 50 feet away and neither has a clue you're there... send like 20 balls to them. You'd get them out, guaranteed. (and if done right they still wont know where you were)

If you want to do the osok thing still, I think the only way you can be truly safe from being detected is when you're working with a larger force, and there is a battle or fighting going on that distracts and causes enough noise for you to move and fire without being noticed. As long as your sound is masked or the other team is not directly concerned with finding you, you should be fine.

Delta Paintball Team - Delta Leads the Way...
The Delta Paintball Team featured in Action Pursuit Games Magazine

"There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots” – Mark Twain
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltare

ignorance is bliss
vasmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #45
i_lovesniping

ya but my gun isnt that fast though.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #46
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
The first little comment is just plain rude and sarcastic, so I will not reply further to it.

The second part...no. Simply put, they are not the same. The team moves-to-contact, Once visual contact is made, the team will then move into the opposition's line of advance and cut them off. The difference is that I know where the enemy is and how he will move. Sitting around and waiting for the enemy is camping. Moving aggressively to contact (skillfully and carfully, but aggressively) and then intercepting and interdicting the enemy is not camping.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #47
i_lovesniping

I am talking about a normal gun not a flatline. Flatlines can go 250 feet but not a NORMAL paintball marker.

Last edited by i_lovesniping : 03-01-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #48
Sheps

Blacksheep, please look at the top of my movement section, I do not condone sitting and waiting for the enemy, I believe a sniper should make contact with the opposing force and then set up in their path, and in the occasion that the sniper is outnumbered, he should find friendlies and guide them to the enemy.

i_lovesniping, I see what you mean now, sorry I screwed up.

Anyways, I noticed you guys brought up people shooting ropes of paint, and I think I had an epiphany, the reason someone would want to snipe is like the reason that people play stock. They want a challenge, or they're newbs who haven't been flamed in this forum yet

Last edited by Sheps : 03-02-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Sheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #49
vasmir

Send a message via AIM to vasmir
Quote:
Originally posted by i_lovesniping
I am talking about a normal gun not a flatline. Flatlines can go 250 feet but not a NORMAL paintball marker.
All markers (barrels) can shoot around 300' max distance (even "normal ones"). The flatline simply gives the ball a flat trajectory, hence the reason some people like them for woodsball. When using a normal barrel in the woods, you're not able to get the flatline's range because if you arc your shots, they'll hit the trees. Ask anyone here that owns a flattly, and they'll agree... flatlines have the same range of any other barrel.

Sorry, I just hate it when people perceive the flatline as being a longer ranging barrel.

And Sheps, you've got it. The main reason people do it is either becuase they want a challenge or want to brag about hitting someone with only one shot, or becuase they've watched too many sniper/war movies and don't know any better.

Delta Paintball Team - Delta Leads the Way...
The Delta Paintball Team featured in Action Pursuit Games Magazine

"There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots” – Mark Twain
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltare

ignorance is bliss

Last edited by vasmir : 03-02-2005 at 01:15 PM.
vasmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #50
Coenen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheps
Anyways, I noticed you guys brought up people shooting ropes of paint, and I think I had an epithany, the reason someone would want to snipe is like the reason that people play stock. They want a challenge, or they're newbs who haven't been flamed in this forum yet
That's epiphany BTW, sorry to be a grammar nazi, that stuff just bothers me.

I brought it up as a useful tactic when firing from a concealed location upon a numerically superior opponent. In that situation it does not behoove a player, sniper or otherwise, to take a limited number of shots. If the opponents are in a fairly tight group it is much more efficient and effective to get on the trigger and play some rock 'n roll than it is to take just a few shots.
I'm not lacking in skill and I usually fire a lot of paint at an exposed opponent or group of opponents, it's just a good ways to do things. It gives them less time to react when you are just pouring it on them, they won't be thinking of where you are or what you are doing they'll be tripping over themselves to find cover.
In fact I do play stock class as well, my PGP is broken right now , I find it very fun and quite a challenge.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #51
Sheps

Oops, knew I wouldn't spell it right. Anyways, I agree with the "ropes of paint" tactic (I actually wanted to get a Dragun TES as my next marker just for that reason, although the ION looks pretty good), its just that no matter what happens people will want to snipe, and if they're doing it for a challenge then why not give them a headstart?

Anyways, guys could you start looking through old posts and remove any useless ones, to make Coenen's job a little easier. Also, if you have anything else you have to point out, do it now.

Last edited by Sheps : 03-02-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #52
Coenen
Super Moderator

Stickied.

This is by far the best most well organized and informative sniper debate ever. I'm going to leave it open much like the Spyder vs. Tippmann thread in new players.

I'll have you all know I deleted over a page worth of posts getting this cleaned up, let's keep it from getting so cluttered from here on out. If it becomes cluttered again I will close it permanently.

If you find any continuity problems please bring them to my attention via private message.

Thanks guys, good work.

-Coenen
Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #53
BuhBuh513

Send a message via AIM to BuhBuh513
Would a 12" dye ultralite on an A-5 with a stock be a good setup for sniping??
BuhBuh513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #54
Coenen
Super Moderator

First, something I left out of my last post.
Let's limit questions about "is part A or barrel B good for sniping." This thread is intended to discus and debate the methodology and even the existence of the sniper in paintball not what an individual's setup will do for them.

To answer your question:
Yeah, that would be pretty solid, make sure to get anti-siphon and reg for CO2 or HPA though, after the barrel they are the most important things you can do for accuracy. Also make sure to use good, fresh paint.

BuhBuh513, that first part was not directed specifically at you, when I editted this thread yesterday prior to sticking it I removed a bunch of posts like that.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #55
BuhBuh513

Thanks for your reply and i wont post any more threads like that. By the way im using nitro instead of those tanks you advised.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #56
AccessTime

While it is possible to play as a "sniper" (for semantics, what he described at the beginning of the thread), I think you'll find this type of play isn't conducive to good play. Even in woodsball.

Snipers are too conservative and they wait for a sure kill. Patience is not a virtue in this game. If I am playing woodsball and I see a target I may be able to hit 30% of the time, I'll fire off a burst and hope for the best. If that gives away my position, I can always move.

Paintball is a team sport. If I take out 4 people but end up "dead" myself, I've done a good job. You don't get any points for survival -- for being alive at the end of a match.

I also feel it's better to outmanuever or outspeed the enemy rather than to hide. A good player uses his surroundings, but he uses them primarily to block enemy fire and provide cover, not to stay hidden.

In all my experience, the teams that win are the ones that work together and utilize sound judgment before and during the match.
AccessTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #57
BuhBuh513

I understand where you are coming from. Just because i like to snipe doesn't mean i don't communicate. And im not all ways sniper. Depends on what i feel like, and that's what the game is about, enjoyment!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #58
Cadet2005

Actually Access time, I will disagree about the cover thing, and I will give you and allegory as to why.

When I first started playing, I borrowed a pump from one of the gys I played with and he was carrying a 98C with R/T. He had two other comrades and I had one other who had used a Brass Eagle so obviously we were outgunned. I hid beneath a tree branch along the path of the way I knew one of them would go and kept perfectly still, and when he passed by me at about ten feet, I waited...and waited. His two comrades opened fire down below so I popped one in the back of his knee. With the other two having lost their flank security, I got up and moved in behind them and took one out before the other was eliminated by my teammate.

The point of this story is that there are times when you have to split your forces to defeat the opposition, and when you do, you must use every available factor to your advantage. Even if you are fast, somebody can always be faster, and even if they aren't, good anticipation of an agressive player's next move can reduce the advantages of a blitzing like attack plan to zilch. Some guys like to play pump or stock style (even I do once in a while) and when they are faced with guys with semis, well let's face it: you could be in trouble in an outright firefight. Do I think it is sniping? No, I prefer "ambushing," but the concept these guys are talking about is similar.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
Cadet2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #59
AccessTime

Pump is different. Of course you have to play differently than a semi -- like making every shot count. But you do that out of necessity, because that is the tool you've been given and you do your best to be effective with that tool. I'm all for 'stock' tournies and pump play, 'stock' is the only type of tourny I'd ever enter. But with semis being so inexpensive and reliable these days, I don't think a player who wants to be as effective as he can in a typical game would go with a pump. Unless it was part of the game / scenario and everyone was using one.
AccessTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 AM   #60
Sheps

AccessTime, I would like to thank you for sticking to my definition, I would also like to agree that in most situations a sniper is innefective, and laying down ropes of paint works far better. Nevertheless there are ways a sniper (a better term would be marksman but w/e) could be useful.

My hypothetical situation:

There are two teams, A and B, they are both 7 man teams and have nothing but guys with upped spyders (same type and upgrades), furthermore they are equally skilled. Lets say they go play a game of woodsball...

Now, if they are in equally good positions when they encounter each other then the only deciding factor in who wins is luck, right?

Now, lets say team A has one guy move to a back position and switch his gun for a B2K with PDS that has been modded to lay down lots of paint, assuming nothing changes from the last match then team A will win, right? This is because the one man's shift in position and marker type allows him to lay down more paint and force team B under cover.

Now, lets give team B a backman as well, now they will be back at square one as they will both be roughly equal.

Now lets team A gets a sniper/marksman who moves just out of sight of his team, the teams are still equal, but if they get into a firefight then Team A's sniper (assuming he's good) will be able to use the covering noise created by the firefight and his knowledge of terrain to quickly flank team B and eliminate team B's backman at the extent of his range without being noticed (one shot is hard to notice in a firefight, especially if the frontmen/middlemen are looking towards the main mass of enemies). All of a sudden there is a major change in team B's effectiveness, as they cannot lay down suppression fire until someone takes their backman's place. At this point team A has a tremendous opportunity, as they can now advance without worrying about suppresion fire (for a short time) and they have team B flanked (rerember the sniper?).

Naturally, this tactic I described only applies to larger games in the woods and cannot be applied to speedball or small woodsball games. Nevertheless it shows there is a way to utilise a "sniper" to deny the other team an advantage and stop excessive losses due to attrition. It also shows that the "sniper" has to be a top quality player and needs to know how to move quickly and avoid detection simultaneously.

Last edited by Sheps : 03-25-2005 at 03:14 AM.