pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Masks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM   #1
davkad
I PITY THE FOOL!

Send a message via ICQ to davkad Send a message via AIM to davkad
Properly Cleaning Goggles!!!

richy... i think that this thread really needs a sticky!
This is taken straight out of Doc's tinkerer's guide... but i think everyone should read this!

"I don't like when people type in all caps on message boards, but sometimes you gotta get a point across.

DO NOT USE ANY CHEMICALS OR SOLVENTS ON PAINTBALL LENSES!!!

This includes, but is not limited to, glass cleaners (Windex), household cleaners, bleach, gasoline, et cetera...

Any strong chemical WILL begin to react with the lens (which, IIRC, isn't Lexan, but a similar polycarbonate plastic...but don't quote me on that). You can't see them, but microscopic cracks will begin to form. Suddenly, that lens isn't strong enough to stop a paintball anymore. You might get away with it for a while, but is it really worth whatever benefit you might get in the short term when you lose an eye later on?

Think of it this way...that lens has been painstakingly engineered (by JT, Scott, BE, or whoever) to absorb the energy of a paintball traveling 300 feet per second...over and over again. Don't you think they know what that lens is capable of? Do you think they put that line that says "NEVER use solvents or harsh cleaners on the lens" in the manual just for the fun of it?

Use warm water. That'll get off any paint or dirt on the lens. If you've got oil or grease on them, use warm water with a little liquid dish soap (and keep your fingers off next time ). I've never had anything on my lenses that wouldn't come off with just water, anyway.

As long as we're on the subject, wash your goggles after every day's play - not the night before your next day. Paint fill acts like a solvent, albeit a weak one. The paint you get on it during a day's play won't hurt it for that short of a time, but if left on, will weaken the lens just like any other solvent. That's why they also say in the manuals that you should replace the lens at least once a year no matter how well you care for it.

Sorry about the rant, everyone, but I don't like to see people taking the chances they do with their eyes. That's just what the sport (and this board) needs... some new players lose eyes, and they say "oh, the people over on the Tinker board told us to use Windex on our lenses..."

Well, that's my 2 cents. Keep the change.

Kenn Mikos"

everyone, keep this in mind!

Current Guns:
2k1 Autococker #95568
Fear Factory Rainmaker

68/3k adjustable Bulldog n2 tank, 1 SP gauge, 1 ACI, date 10/00, STOLEN... keep a eye out please.

www.teardown.cjb.net a site made by me, how to take apart your kingman marker
davkad is offline   Reply With Quote