pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 10-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
mgitlin
Ex-*****

Send a message via AIM to mgitlin Send a message via MSN to mgitlin
280 fps > The Human Eye: Safety Thread

Warning: Possible graphic pictures. If you can't stand the sight of blood, do not read on.

Ok, I had a really stupid accident yesterday, and I decided to humiliate myself to hopefully save others. It's really easy to get used to a paintball gun where maintenance becomes routine, and you no longer verify each step as you're working on it. Well, here's the story:

I was tweaking my gun, getting it ready for saturday. I decided to put this laser sight I had on it. Mainly for fun, but I was also curious about how accurate it was (considering my shot groupings were pretty much within 4" at 50-60 feet). Well, I turned the frame on, fired a couple shots at target to determine consistency without the point. I then proceeded to turn the point on, but it didn't work (even though it had worked 5 minutes prior). When it failed to function, I turned the frame off (so I thought; it apparently wasn't off), and turned the marker around to examine the laser (it was attached to the LPC, mounted below). That's when it all went wrong.

I somehow discharged my marker, and it immediately sent me to the ground. I called a couple friends over (who were messing with their markers at the time), and had them look at it. It was instantly decided I needed to get to the hospital, so one of them gave me a ride.

I am happy to say that things could have turned out worse, but still things could be better. As of now, I have probably lost about 95% of my useful vision in my right eye. I can see light, some color, and outline/shadows, but that's about it. I can't make out pictures, or words.

The Opthalmologist can't make any predictions about future use of that eye until the blood inside (yes, it's inside the eyeball) clears up. And that may take up to 3-4 weeks.

Here are some pictures of my injury after the hospital visit (scrolled down to reduce immediate visibility):

Night of:

Morning After:

----

My purpose to writing this is I know many people don't take the proper precautions when just tuning their markers. We were not actually playing, but this still happened. I will now ALWAYS wear my mask and use a barrel cover, even when not involved in a game. I hope my stupid mistake can help keep others from making the same one.

----
EDIT!!! (03/03/07)

This is great. My wife came across this picture of me when I was 6. The shirt and patch say it all...

Last edited by mgitlin : 03-03-2007 at 08:03 PM.
mgitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
trophyman582
Bаnned

Send a message via AIM to trophyman582 Send a message via MSN to trophyman582 Send a message via Yahoo to trophyman582
Wow, that sucks. It really does. Even more reason for me to wear a mask all the time now. Also, thanks for posting this up. Hopefully, it will teach some younger players that masks are absolutely imperitive to paintball. Never leave home without one.
Lies. A more accurate assessment would be "half of the posters on this forum are at least functionally retarded."
Check out my MiniCity!
trophyman582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
slaminator3323
Final Fantasy 8 Rocks

And shooting over 300fps, not a good idea since lenses are built to only withstand 300fps, anything over is extremely dangerous.
Kila magnetic detents
NDZ Saw trigger
CP two piece
Smoke Reloader B
Jungle Fighters
Got a Tadao board and 360 QEV and haven't played paintball in over a year,(I have bad withdrawals).
slaminator3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
GranDream
This is the Final Cut

Send a message via AIM to GranDream
ARGH! My one weakness! Yeah, I can watch a gory movie and be fine with complete disembowelment and such, but the second something happens to the eyes I'm like a little schoolgirl. Anyways, hopefully this makes people pay a little more attention, and I hope your eye gets better.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
OWNAGE
Super Moderator

Ouch. Hopefully your eye gets better. One of my friend in elementary school got hit in the eye with a baseball, but he got better.

www.APD-Direct.com - Arizona's only authorized dealer for the DLX Luxe
Fort Adobe Paintball Complex - Play on Turf

Green/Purple CCM Series 6 Pump + Gear Stolen!
OWNAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
igota98custom

Send a message via AIM to igota98custom Send a message via MSN to igota98custom
OW, holy hell, your so damn lucky you didn't get your mo' fudgin eye shot out...Oh and caught something...

If you can't stand the sight of blood, do not read on<--- Anyone notice anything there? Oh, fine, i'll point it out, nubs. Just playing.
igota98custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
OWNAGE
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by igota98custom
If you can't stand the sight of blood, do not read on<--- Anyone notice anything there? Oh, fine, i'll point it out, nubs. Just playing.
Your joke has done the following:

[ ] Made Sense
[x] Made no Sense

[ ] Was Funny
[x] Wasn't Funny

[ ] Passed
[x] Failed

Old 10-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Downfall08
Scatter!

Send a message via AIM to Downfall08
Really sucks man. Hope your vision gets better soon.
Downfall08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Canderous
CHAOS!!! HISSSSS!!!

Send a message via AIM to Canderous
dam dude that sucks!!! i have a friend who looks down the barrel of his marker all the time...i hope this will conivnce him to do otherwise

XBL: Arachnar
ROCKIN SUPERSTOCK
98C = GHETTO
Canderous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
igota98custom

My bad...ugh, oh and THAT isn't funny; to pbn-ish.

I meant if you cant stand looking at blood, then how is reading going to affect it? Bleh, came out wrong...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
OWNAGE
Super Moderator

Quote:
My bad...ugh, oh and THAT isn't funny; too pbn-ish.
Too bad I have never seen it used on PBN.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
igota98custom

Roight.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #13
Silo55

Send a message via AIM to Silo55
Ouch dude, hope ya get better, as a note something happened to me like this except i shot myself in the hand. Always make sure you haveth esafety on or air out when pointing a marker at yourself.
Silo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
igota98custom

My friend (won't mention him on here...) AIMED his friends paintball gun and fired (thinking there's no paintballs in it, just scare him with C02) and shot my friend in the back. Yeah, a stupid mistake but forgivable.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #15
mgitlin
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderous
dam dude that sucks!!! i have a friend who looks down the barrel of his marker all the time...i hope this will conivnce him to do otherwise
yeah, that was my purpose in making this thread.

I myself never really saw the danger in doing anything like that if I "thought" I took the proper precautions. This has caused me to rethink my steps and make sure ALL safety precautions are taken. The danger of injury is real, and if the shot was less than 1/2" lower, I would have no eye right now. 280 fps at point blank range. The paintball was still in the barrel afterwards, with most of its shell in tact (since it had no room to explode still isnide the barrel). No paint shot out the back or sides, so the entire force was directed at my eye.

It's really easy to work on your marker without thinking things through because you get so used to doing things on it.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
Samrog777

Quote:
My friend (won't mention him on here...) AIMED his friends paintball gun and fired (thinking there's no paintballs in it, just scare him with C02) and shot my friend in the back. Yeah, a stupid mistake but forgivable.
You should hit him with a stick.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
igota98custom

The person who got shot was pretty much a dick to me and my friend who shot him. He hates us for hating him because the way he treated us.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #18
mgitlin
Ex-*****

Quote:
1. That's stupid, I wouldn't point a gun at anyone else (off the field or w/o masks obviously)
2. Just to clarify, I wasn't looking down the barrel (fortunately or I would have 0% chance of ever seeing with it again; even though I'm not sure of my chances now)
3. In a way, I'm glad it happened to me. It's better we realize soon that this is a real concern, before some 10-12 year old kid gets shot and has to deal with it... This will up our safety measures a lot.

Samrog: My mom lost her right eye cus her brother was playing with a stick...
Old 10-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #19
Zofarr

It always pains me , that someone has to get hurt for people to catch the seriousness off this sort of thing. Igotta, don't make so many jokes in this sort of thread this isn't a flame towards you just a friendly warning.

I hope you get your vision back, and Thank you for making such a thread we really needed one on PBR, its unfortunate that it will be because of your injury. It is good that SOME good could come out of it.
Yes I am going to put it in the Ultimate Sticky after folks have a chance to find it since nobody ever reads stickies.
Meaning... Read the stickies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw
Zofarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #20
igota98custom

Uh...I DO know the seriousness of this situation...I've been in one before (not kicking death in the balls-close like mig here, but something bad could of still happened). Not cool. But don't worry, you'll be laughing at yourself in 10 years, thinking "man, that was kind of nubish of me huh".