pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Strategies and Tactics

Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #161
Atomsk
Pirate King

Terrain, Stealth, Accuracy, Ambush = woodsball. Study these and master them, nuff said.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #162
cerberus729

My style

I agree with Shadow about mapping the field. I play with about twenty guys. Four go out with radios and do sniper/early warning stuff. Then we split into 4-man rifle squads and each team picks a part of the field to control. But that's only with wide-area ball.

If the field is long and narrow, we stack up about three-quarters on one side and flank silently for the rear. The other quarter makes lots of noise and gets the enemy's attention. Ultimately, we try to lock them out of their spawn. It frustrates people royally, but we still win the match.

-Cerberus729
cerberus729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #163
GLCFTomcat
Team Captain

In a one on one situation.....if undetected I stay absolutely still til I have the shot.......however if I am already up...I advance on the other player putting something in between us..whether it be a tree or bush....upon reaching my objective I can now swing out for the shot.
GLCFTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #164
Klim0009
EVERSOR

Another one that people are forgeting about is change what you do. Dont do the samething over and over. If you play the same people then they will just figure out what you do every time and counter act it.
Klim0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #165
Pengo

I was trying to do some tactics, but nooooooo my friends did not listen to me. Too concerned about one of my mates and got flanked and shot .
Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #166
WSPC

WSPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #167
El tormento
Infantry leads the way!

Send a message via Yahoo to El tormento
a problem with this is that most fields and the one i usually go to, the pentagon, http://www.pentagonpaintball.com changes their fields around. go to their site and see what i mean. unless your playing a fixed field like a fort match or vice-versa.

edit:
i almost forgot, just scope the field out while your walking onto it, or at a distance, so when your off the break you know where everything is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Nugz View Post
My only advise is this: if you go to a particular field often, ask to go out

when no one is playing and bring along a piece of paper, pencil, and

something hard to write on. Go out and roughly map out the area. Next time

you can laminate that map and during games fold it and stuff it in your

pockets to be able to reer to it quickly.

Setup: T98C, 14" J&J ceramic barrel, rap4 aluminum powertube, cyclone feed system with x7 metal internals, squishy paddles(LP hopper), tech-t fang trigger, zero-kick hammer, spec-ops commando air-thru stock, cobra remote with attached palmers stabilizer.
El tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #168
Rowsdower
Your paint tastes bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Bulley View Post
take chances, have fun.

yesturday we had a game and our entire team decide to take minimal cover and just to mainly advance, we didnt loose a single person .
That's good times. The full-on offensive can usually catch the other side off guard, especially if used with some duck-and-cover, making it hard for them to get a head count. My team used it a few games back, with one guy laying cover and everyone else focusing on one player at a time. We were in four man teams, but when you make it three on one, the intimidation factor makes the other side make stupid mistakes. Unfortunately, this tactic will usually only work once per outing. The other guys learn quick, if their worth their salt.

But seriously, I've always found if you know your field, mix up your tactics, and have a good line of communication with your team, you can't go wrong. We recently tried not moving at all, staying concealed at our end (it was a standard death-match style, not CTF or anything) and it worked amazingly. The other side was utterly confused when we didn't rush them, or flank, or even move, and they walked right into ambush.

And if you can, find The Art of War by Sun Tzu at Barnes and Noble and read it. It's like the basis for all modern warfare, and transfers to paintball pretty cleanly.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #169
AmbushOrigin
I am the Fat Man

Send a message via AIM to AmbushOrigin
I never pre-plan anything when i play. I go on the spur of a moment kind of thing. However I generally play the same way, at the big games and scenario, if im needed somewhere i'll go and get the job done. If theres players just being a pest and not letting us accomplish what we want, ill go full force at them and keep doing it till i win. Generally though i prefer to go lonewolf. Just the simple fact that if im alone I can only blame myself for being shot, when ppl trail me they either give me away, shoot when I plan on not shooting bc im trying to get closer, or they just ruin my entire plan.

I also like being outnumbered, so i prefer to try and get as far up the field as possible and get a foothold so my side can move up to move a mass force across the field.

The way to win is to control the field, whoever owns the most of the field is going to win. If you hold 3/4 of the field and only 1 of 10 missions is to be carried out on their 1/4 they own then theres 9 missions you have the opportuntity to steal, counter or just ruin for them.
Spekta CSL- GOG eXTCy - Red Angel Fly SB -Sunburst Tx Storm G6r -Pink/white ripper vic - brown/khaki ripper vic - pink/Silver CCM Series 6.5 - Blackheart SP1 - Rasta A4 fly - Custom FBM Cobra Sniper - Red 06 Macdev Cyborg - Black/Pink DM8 - TKO Classic automag w/ logic rail -ANS phase II Classic Mag w/Tac one body -Yellow Emag-(2) Kingman Hammers - BT4 combat- red w black parts e2 Karnivor - Evil pimp - Empire Trracer - Tac8 - Rasta A1 fly - black/red fade 05 Ego
AmbushOrigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #170
moshpitengineer
squishy senior

usually when playing woodsball/outlaw i use the same system I use in rec speedball. If i dont know you, i dont trust you. You never know whos telling you to run right into a trap, so only listen to the people you KNOW are reliable
ya um wtf is a dodgy
Kwalski says:
It's like acceptig Jesus. The only difference is Ska exists.
I whack women with shovels
moshpitengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #171
Shadow Wolf1990
Down Town Laughing Clown

Send a message via AIM to Shadow Wolf1990
I was playing outlaw ball the other day in some woods. I wouldn't even say woods, I would say its more of a thicket of thorns. Anyway, I started using a tactic in woodball that you hide under a bunch of thick bushes, thorns, leafs, small paths that rabbits and other small animals have made, etc, something to keep you covered. But at the same time I can see some of the larger paths that larger animals like deer, dogs, 4 wheelers, and other people have made that surrounded me (people tend to use these paths because its easier to get around and not so much stepping over fallen trees, branches, thorns, etc). Because the woods are so thick, its basically, move and make alot of noise and get shot at, or stay still and wait forever. So to make them come to you faster, you shoot a few rounds every now and then, but of course make sure nobody is around you while your still hidden. Sometimes people will come to where the firing was and this is when you can ambush somebody. I played a 6 person free for all round, and I shot everybody and came victoriesly by using this tactic, they all heard me shooting once, then they heard me shoot somebody out, then the next, etc. Another tactic I learned was when I was playing a different round, we played teams of 3 vs 3, and even though my friend didn't use this as a tactic on purpose, he kept the sun to his back (it was late in the evening, the sun was at the angle it would get in your eyes if you were facing that direction) well anyways, because the sun was behind him, I didnt see him leaning on the tree when he was firing at me because the sun blinded me. I be sure to keep that tactic in mind next time its late in the evening.

Shadow Wolf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #172
Tzer1993
headhunter

I almost always play woodsball and usually it's like 3 on 3 and we always try to stay no more than 30ft apart and no less than 15...this almost assures that they cant flank you if you're teammates are competent, that is. I will say there are times when i've lost a kill because i shot to quickly so it's very important that you do not shoot then aim...and also that you do not take shots you're not sure you can make. if they don't know where you are, then you can get as close as you wan't to, making for an easier shot.
Tzer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #173
Snowmans

Play as a team, don't try to be "rambos". most paintballers aren't green berets (however much they pretend). I'll put my money on team working together as a solid unit over a team of rambo wannabes every time. Just like anything.. practice, practice, practice! Especially as a team.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #174
AmbushOrigin
I am the Fat Man

Send a message via AIM to AmbushOrigin
lone wolves beat all teams and rambo's... /thread
Spekta CSL- GOG eXTCy - Red Angel Fly SB -Sunburst Tx Storm G6r -Pink/white ripper vic - brown/khaki ripper vic - pink/Silver CCM Series 6.5 - Blackheart SP1 - Rasta A4 fly - Custom FBM Cobra Sniper - Red 06 Macdev Cyborg - Black/Pink DM8 - TKO Classic automag w/ logic rail -ANS phase II Classic Mag w/Tac one body -Yellow Emag-(2) Kingman Hammers - BT4 combat- red w black parts e2 Karnivor - Evil pimp - Empire Trracer - Tac8 - Rasta A1 fly - black/red fade 05 Ego
AmbushOrigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #175
Shadow Wolf1990
Down Town Laughing Clown

Send a message via AIM to Shadow Wolf1990
I would have to disagree to a certain degree, I do agree that playing with a highly organized team is much better, but at the sametime, I find it much better to go off by myself if my team mates have no idea what they are doing, they are more likely to give us away and get us killed then I am by myself in that situation. I hunt a lot so I know how to stay hidden and walk quietly yet quickly, my friends can't even walk at a normal pace without making all kinds of racket and noise. They are normaly the first people I shoot out in woodsball.

Shadow Wolf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #176
Snowmans

i wrote that kinda fast.. yeah you're right some weak players do more harm than good. one thing to do is try and give them advice and help your teamates improve. most importantly have a gerneral plan. a weak player should have the least important job on a team. maybe use them for baiting/distraction. and playing as a team doesn't mean moving together or clustering an area. lone wolf'ing(word) is very effective, but its good to let your team know what you're doing and where to avoid friendly fire etc. u got my point tho, without communication and a general plan things are bound to go wrong more often then usual. friendly fire, outflanked, tripping over eachother(lol)
Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #177
Marshal Davout

I play at a professional field and get in about a dozen 15 minute games a day. Mostly walkons and a few regulars. Up to 40 people on a team and most are newbies, I try to:
Organize. Knowing the fields, I outline a general lay of the land and what our primary objectives are. Usually a left, middle, and right breakdown. Get the people to decide which direction they want to go at the break and have them move to that side of the start point so they are not running through each other. Make sure the groups are relatively equal in size and ability if possible.
Safeties off barrel plugs out. Test fire ONE shot to be sure markers are working as most are rentals. NO ONE stays back to "guard " the flag. All guns up to the front giving our team more firepower and more angles to shoot from. Also for a newb it is no fun to sit in the back and never see any action and never learn how to play. back sitting assumes your own team is going to be wiped out and you, all by yourself, will hold off the enemy.
On the break SPRINT as far as you can and grab as much real estate as possible. Move until you observe the other team or you have gone halfway across the field. This does two things, You will observe the enemy moving into position and you can call their locations out to your teammates, and it gives you more room if you have to adjust your plan( but that never happens, right?)
Communicate. The other team knows you are here. Forget stealth, don't worry about stepping on sticks or dry grass or paint balls rattling in your pods( that always makes me laugh). With 2 dozen guys on your own team and that many again on the other team their is so much noise and movement. Don't fool yourself that being quiet is doing anything. Yell yell YELL. The mask covers your mouth and ears. It is hard to hear over the sound of firing and breathing inside your mask. Yell and repeat. Call out the enemy locations with distance and direction. Use the 12 o'clock system. "Bob from you there's a guy 2 o'clock at 35 yards behind the blue spool."
Be aggressive. Work as a team. Identify where the enemy is and put fire on him. You can, no you must move under fire. But do it safely. Make short runs. Have your team lay down covering fire to keep enemy heads down. Know where you are going and why you are going there. Where an opening has presented itself exploit it. FLANK FLANK FLANK! Don't sit and trade shots with the guy in front of you. Look left and right and get the guy out shooting at your buddy. If possible have your team distract and pin down the enemy while you fall back 30 yards and come in from a different direction. If they didn't see you fall back it will appear that there are more of you than there are. The whole idea of ambushes sounds great but with 20 or 30 guys on a team it does not work. ALL guns up front and in firing range. Imagine just you and your one buddy watching a dozen guys coming at you. They WILL get both of you and you might get 1 of them. Not a good trade. Any group will wipe out an army if the army only sends 1 or 2 guys at a time.
I am 42 years old and play with my 20 year old son. He is as good a leader as i am. We always play on the same team but rarely see each other on the field. We split up. I take the left and he goes right. We each know what the other is going to do for the most part. We can each hear the others voice across the field and have an idea of what is going on without radios. You may come to the field to play with your buds but it is far more fun to tell each other stories of your heroic deeds after you won the game than to ask each other what went wrong and play the blame game all the way home. Beside if no one saw what you really did, you can exaggerate just a wee bit.
Talk to your team AND the other team in the stagging area. You should all be friends. This cuts down on hard feeling when the other team loses 10 of 12 games that day. As the day goes by people come and people leave so the teams are being reorganized. Be prepared to be moved to the team you have been stomping into the dirt all day.
I know this sounds very different from most of what is written here but it works for us. Yes we usually win 10 or more of 12 games played. By the third game people are saying to us " You do a great job of leading and directing. What should we do in the next game?" People like it when we win a game and we have 12 of the 15 guys we started with still on the field and the other team is sitting in the staging area.
Shoot Move Communicate
Marshal Davout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #178
Marshal Davout

Smile

A quick follow up with a list of things that we have seen tried and that don't work time after time.

Bunching up. Especially multiple players behind the same piece of cover

Guarding the flag. This is a fired up bunkering waiting to happen. Give yourself the option of moving.

Lone wolfing it. Either another lone wolf will get you or you will get him but in most cases even if you create an opening there will be no one with you to exploit it. Most of the time you will not win every game by yourself.

Playing the "waiting for the other team to come" sa-tragedy HA HA! All this does is delay the inevitable.

Second wave. Where a few guys let the front wave feel out the enemy and get killed. If you didn't see the enemy you don't know where they are. Maintain contact with the enemy and keep the pressure on. Wait for them to make the mistake. Use it against them

Don't play follow the leader. If a guy habitually goes off on his own and does get some occasional success do not try to tag along with him. He works best alone and likes it that way. Going with him is going to ruin his game and you shouldn't try to leach off of his play. Unless he asks you to.
Marshal Davout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #179
Crewdog78

If there's enough people playing (minimum of ten per team) I usually like to work with my close friends in a group of four and then each person picks a wingman or partner. Work as a close team and cover each other with two guys moving at a time is how I usually prefer to play it.

Then if it's a large field with a large amount of people playing I try to suggest assigning groups of people to different tasks. Now of course that doesn't always work since not everyone wants to be a follower and not everyone wants to be a team player, but if I can get at least one group of four to agree to lay down suppressive fire and one group to try a flanking maneuver (if the field is large enough) then it'll usually help out the rest of the team a lot. If the field is large enough, and especially if you're playing an objective based game then having guys with good eyesight to do recon work for the rest of the team is also helpful.

One thing I've noticed a lot of people suggest is for the new guys to be segregated from the experienced players and have them pulling gigs like cannon fodder or distraction, or just other basic tasks. My experience is that there's no such thing as an unimportant job, everyone with a marker can always be put to good use. Simply putting all your new guys together I find simply makes for a huge weak spot in your team rather than putting them in a situation where they can learn from more experienced players.

When I first started I found what worked well for me was to pair up with an experienced player or tag along with a group of them who were off on some kind of objective (like flanking). I would provide covering fire, scan opposing players, and basically just provide support for others. By having an experienced player giving me guidance I performed a lot better than I would have if grouped with other newbies. Grouping newbies together on their own only means that no one in that group doesn't know what to do. By at least putting one experienced player to work with newbies it means that someone knows what to do. It's the reason why in real war you never see an army full of privates under one general, there's always a bunch of sergeants providing the know how and experience with ground pounding.
Crewdog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #180
bluetorch118

Send a message via AIM to bluetorch118
duck duck goose

i play usually with 2 others which makes us a 3 man team. one of them is currently a ranger now but what i found has worked is a wedge formation to work your way up a small woodsball field. You can confuse your enemy by moving the left player to the right side creating a strong side flank and cornering the enemy to where you can pick them off. One of my favorites we have used is having one of us snipe from the top of a ridge with a ghillie distracting newbies with constant fire. While multiple enemies are looking for the sniper, 2 move in to flank undercover and take out as many as possible. When enemies control fire on us 2 the sniper can take of the rest while their backs are turned. Let me know if u like this tactic. just one of many
bluetorch118 is offline   Reply With Quote