pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > SP-1

Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Sab25693

JJ Ceramic Barrel

Can the jj ceramic barrel fit the shroud of the sp-1? Any other recommendations for 14" barrels? Thanks.
Sab25693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
iliveforthis99
Maher

It should, SP made the shroud so that most common barrels will fit in it. Personally i'd go with a 12" barrel on the SP1, anything longer then just looks strange and out of place IMO.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Schecter1277

Send a message via AIM to Schecter1277
I'd stick with 14'' I'd rather have performance over looks.
68/45 tank w/ myth reg
Schecter1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
iliveforthis99
Maher

There won't be any performance difference really between a 12" and 14" barrel. Only real plus to using a 14" is the extra 2" allows you to push an air bunker in a little easier then a 12".
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Schecter1277

Also allows for better air efficiency. When it comes to an air gun, the longer the barrel, the higher the rate a projectile increases to.
For instance, with a 10 foot barrel a paintball could increase to 500mph or more. Physics son.
Plus I had a friend who did his engineering final on the difference between barrel lengths and accuracy. Showed that as a barrel gets longer it does get more accurate.
Used a wind tunnel and a mounting block as well as the same bag of paint on all tests.
68/45 tank w/ myth reg

Last edited by Schecter1277 : 06-22-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
iliveforthis99
Maher

I'll have to agree to disagree there. I'm not up to arguing over another silly little thing like barrel length. I do believe the past has shown that it's pointless to argue with each other anyway.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
OtisN89

Physics Son? How about friction, son. The longer a barrel the more friction present to slow the ball down meaning you would need more air to achieve the same velocity at the end of the barrel, thus worse efficiency.

The benefits in accuracy and efficiency are minimal between barrels that are only 2 inches different, I'd get a 12", being shorter might make it a little easier to handle around bunkers.

OtisN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
SavageBall666

lol get the 12 inch the only gain you will find with the 14 inch is probably the sound. out of every post of schecter's i have seen they have not been good and i have learned to disregard his posts
SavageBall666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Schecter1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBall666 View Post
lol get the 12 inch the only gain you will find with the 14 inch is probably the sound. out of every post of schecter's i have seen they have not been good and i have learned to disregard his posts
Is English really your first language?

I've been playing paintball for 6 years. I've worked as a gun tech in a paintball shop for 4 months. I worked at a field off and on for a year. I am coached by the very man that runs techpb.com I have his cell phone number. How does your resume look?
I know what I'm talking about, clearly you don't.
68/45 tank w/ myth reg

Last edited by Schecter1277 : 06-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
SavageBall666

your claims mean nothing and by what your saying in a previous post is that with a 36" barrel on my gun, it will be more accurate and more efficient than with my 12" barrel? No. MAYBE accuracy definately NOT efficiency. Oh and if you havent noticed yet this is the internet not english class so are you the grammar nazi of the sp1 section? No.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Schecter1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBall666 View Post
your claims mean nothing and by what your saying in a previous post is that with a 36" barrel on my gun, it will be more accurate and more efficient than with my 12" barrel? No. MAYBE accuracy definately NOT efficiency. Oh and if you havent noticed yet this is the internet not english class so are you the grammar nazi of the sp1 section? No.
Sorry, I just am hopeing you would portray some grasp of the English language.
As far as barrels, the longer the barrel the more speed it can gain. By increasing the exit velocity you can use less air to acheive the same velocity. Especially if you overbore. Take friction out of the equation all together.
68/45 tank w/ myth reg
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
SavageBall666

yes the ball will gain more speed with more air pushing on it thats just the wat things work. the ball is also losing speed immediately after shot so in a 36" barrel the muzzle velocity will be less then in a 12" barrel
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Ishii-kun

a paintball is accelerated down the barrel, for the first 8" anything after that decreases air efficiency, and is only used for aesthetics or to make the gun quieter... nothing more. the paintball has fully stabilized after the first 8" and anything after will not increase accuracy...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
Schecter1277

Oh? and I'm sure you did your college engineering final on this in which you tested various barrels from 10'' to 18'' in a windtunnel on the same gun mounted to a platform. You measured the spread of each shot and deduced that the longer a barrel the more accurate it became.

I'm sure you've done that right?
68/45 tank w/ myth reg
Old 06-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
OtisN89

I'm hoping that the entire paintball community is wrong and that schecter has revolutionized the way we look at barrel length. You should get Mike from techpb to do a video about barrels. Maybe he already has, I haven't looked through them all.

I'd really like to see the results of that engineering final. I think if it really took all factors into consideration that it would have found that paint to bore match and the quality of paint would make a much greater difference than a few inches of barrel.

If he used different barrels that would have different manufacturing specs and different bores, it would totally destroy the idea of comparing lengths. ie; the stock barrel from a spyder is 10" spyder barrel, and if I compared that to a 12" J&J ceramic, there would probably be a huge increase in accuracy. In your mind you attribute that to the extra two inches, while everyone else realizes that it is simply a higher quality barrel.

OtisN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
iliveforthis99
Maher

Wasn't going to get into this but anyway whatever. I use a 16" Twister barrel when i use my tippy. I use a 12" Scepter (Ion) and 12" Pipe kit (cocker). Using the same paint and a HPA air source and everything chornoed in around 270-280 (98 is actually close to 290) i've seen no difference in range. The paint matched Pipe and Scepter shoot just as far and more accurately then the 16" Twister. I don't give a crap what someone did during a test, it's what happens in the field that matters to me. I have a 16" tip for the Pipe so when i play Sunday i'll throw that on for a game and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
SavageBall666

oh...my...god...i think he has figured out he was wrong
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
OMG its da FONZ
What up A-cup?

i have a 16 inch JJ ceramics barrel its ballin. get a JJ u wont b dissapointed at all. most accurate barrel around for under like... 60 bucks. pretty much the same as the $100 BoomStick, but lighter
OMG its da FONZ is offline   Reply With Quote