pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > SP-1

Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
splatface
Brother #3

Question on the SP-1

I'm thinking about getting a SP1 (I'm now using the Alpha Black) and I have some questions about it. If you can answer any, thank you.

Does it need any special lube or anything?

Can I use the liquidy marker oil?

I'm looking at one on ebay for $92 that come with a car stock, and a 16in barrel. You think this is a good deal?
splatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
di$TOrTed
t3h p\/\/nz0r

Send a message via AIM to di$TOrTed
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatface View Post
I'm thinking about getting a SP1 (I'm now using the Alpha Black) and I have some questions about it. If you can answer any, thank you.

Does it need any special lube or anything?
Dow33/Sl33k works best
Can I use the liquidy marker oil?
I sure wouldn't
I'm looking at one on ebay for $92 that come with a car stock, and a 16in barrel. You think this is a good deal?
Assuming it's a decent quality barrel, i'd say that not a bad deal at all

My feedback

I'm getting the NDS tech site going again. ndspb.proboards.com PM me if you would like to help make tech tutorials to help out the paintball community.
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
splatface
Brother #3

Thanks.
How often should I grease it?
I'm pretty sure it's a smart parts tactical barrel.

Also, this would be my first electro-pneumatic marker, so I'm not familiar with the way these work (specifically, how they recock). And being that it's low pressure, does it have a reg on the gun, because I have a high-pressure HPA tank, and I don't know if I'd have to reset the reg on the tank. If you could give me a brief rundown on how it works, I would really appreciate it. And finally, what battery do you think works best/longest?

Last edited by splatface : 06-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Lenny17

EPs work by using air to do everything. There is an electric solenoid in their that redirects air to control the firing cycle. It's all controlled by a circuit board, so it's a lot more consistent. Also, there is a regulator on the gun, so you should be able to just screw in your tank and go with it.

Here are a couple animations that might help you understand how it works. These are specifically for the Ion, but it's very similar: http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/anim...perrender3.gif and http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/anim.../ion_twiek.gif.

'98 r/f Autococker w/ 45/4.5k, J&J Edge kit (14"), Ricochet 2KX

PCS US-5 Mech. w/ 48/3k, J&J Edge kit (10"), cyclone feed, JCS folding voodoo stock with RVA

Kingman Hammer w/ 13/3k, J&J Edge kit (14")

Projects in the Works:
'99 r/f Autococker w/ 45/4.5k, J&J Edge kit (14"), and THE CYCLONE!!!
Lenny17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
di$TOrTed
t3h p\/\/nz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatface View Post
Thanks.
How often should I grease it?
I'm pretty sure it's a smart parts tactical barrel.

Also, this would be my first electro-pneumatic marker, so I'm not familiar with the way these work (specifically, how they recock). And being that it's low pressure, does it have a reg on the gun, because I have a high-pressure HPA tank, and I don't know if I'd have to reset the reg on the tank. If you could give me a brief rundown on how it works, I would really appreciate it. And finally, what battery do you think works best/longest?
For optimal performance, I would clean and regrease it after every time you play, but you could probably go about 4-5 cases of paint or more before you start to see any negative effects from not having fresh grease on the marker. From what I have experienced, Ions/Vibes/SP1s seem to be able to go for a long time without maintenance, however that does not mean you should test that theory.

As far as how they work, the air holds the bolt back and the rear volume chamber is filled with gas. When you pull the trigger, the solenoid vents the air from the front of the bolt. The air in the rear volume chamber then pushes the bolt forward. When the bolt is all the way forward, the middle section of the bolt slides past a seal which allows the air in the volume chamber to vent through the bolt and fire the paintball. The air is channeled to the front of the bolt again pushing it back and the cycle repeats.

My feedback

I'm getting the NDS tech site going again. ndspb.proboards.com PM me if you would like to help make tech tutorials to help out the paintball community.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
splatface
Brother #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by di$TOrTed View Post
For optimal performance, I would clean and regrease it after every time you play.
Not that I disagree with you, but wouldn't it make sense to grease it before you play?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Lenny17

Eh, it doesn't really make any difference. I know I just find it easier to pull out the grease and take care of it as I'm cleaning everything up after a day of getting covered in paint, rather than putting it off until the day of.

PCS US-5 Mech. w/ 48/3k, J&J Edge kit (10"), cyclone feed, JCS folding voodoo stock with RVA

Projects in the Works:
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
splatface
Brother #3

But should I still put a few drops of oil in the ASA? If not,what do I use for that?

By the way, I won that ebay auction
Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
Lenny17

Don't put oil in the ASA, that will give you nothing but problems. In fact, don't put anything in your ASA except for air.

Lubing an ep is different than oiling a mechanical. With a mech gun, you are putting oil into the ASA, on the theory that the air will carry the oil to all the springs and seals along the way. That's a real bad plan with an ep, because the solenoid isn't designed to be oiled that way, and if you have a delrin bolt, that can swell when it gets oiled. All you need to do is buy some proper lube, like the Dow 33, and using your finger, put a light coat on in the areas you need it. You are only trying to lube specific points, not the entire thing.

In fact here: is a breakdown on how to maintain a Vibe, which is very similar to the SP-1. http://ndspb.proboards.com/index.cgi...play&thread=27 As you'll see, it's really very easy! (Thanks distorted, I hope you don't mind me pointing people in your direction)

Edit: looking at the SP-1 manual, it looks like the only difference is you have two small screws to take off, instead of one big one. Other than that, it is still very simple, pull out the bolt, use a little grease, and you are done.

Projects in the Works:

Last edited by Lenny17 : 06-29-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
splatface
Brother #3

Thanks alot. You're a great help.

But one last thing...what battery do you think works best/longest?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
Lenny17

I use brand name batteries, just depending on what I find. Energizer or Duracell, and it's usually worth the money to buy the 'better' versions of both.

Granted, I have been looking into rechargeables, because I hate having to buy so many batteries. But I also know that most rechargeable batteries run at a slightly lower voltage, so I haven't done that just yet.

Projects in the Works:
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
di$TOrTed
t3h p\/\/nz0r

Doh i forgot i even had that on my site lol.

But anyways, just use a name brand battery, and be sure to take it out of the marker when you are not using it or it will get drained. I can't tell you how many times i've bought a brand new battery, played a day with it, been too tired/lazy to take it out when I got home and forgot about it. A few weeks later I go to play again, and i need to buy a battery again.

The only difference between the Vibe and SP1 maintenance is that on the SP1 you also unscrew the flat back piece, but after that disassembly is the same as what is shown in the link Lenny provided. It's really simple stuff.

My feedback