pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Orpackrat

What do you think? Suggestions?

Okay, I'm looking to upgrade my Tippmann A5 a bit.

I have some rail stock ordered to mod under my A5.

I have a BT-16 forward mounted tank adapter ordered to mod onto the lower portion.

I plan to mount a 3.5oz tank forward and mock it up as an M203.

I hope to be able to mod the mag and magwell to fit with the forward mounted Co2 tank.

I plan on splitting the air line so it still feeds to the bottom of the gun but has an added on/off valve. (Depending on how complicated it is, mounting 9oz on stock with flexible air system or on top gun overhanging back)

I still need to order a JCS stock. (Stock should come next week)

I am debating the use of an optic system (trying to find one under $50). The optic system would consist of an arm mounted 2.5" protected lcd display that connects to gun. On the front of the gun would be a protected wide angle camera.

Possible addition of actual grenade launcher on side.

This is the A5 as it currently sits:

Barrel kit backs ................
Modified Apex tip ..............
Fully Upgraded Cyclone .....
450 round hopper .............
Super RT .......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShift View Post
I'm tempted to add this to my signature....

Last edited by Orpackrat : 07-31-2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Updating
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

What's the purpose of the camera and screen? How would you power all of it? I personally would try to keep your marker and remaining set-up as light as possible -- get a stock, and then get a remote and harness that holds your bottle. Having a camera on your gun, but still using CO2? (and a 3.5 oz bottle, at that?) I think you're better off with the above. That's just my opinion though.
BluShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Orpackrat

Quote:
What's the purpose of the camera and screen? How would you power all of it? I personally would try to keep your marker and remaining set-up as light as possible -- get a stock, and then get a remote and harness that holds your bottle. Having a camera on your gun, but still using CO2? (and a 3.5 oz bottle, at that?) I think you're better off with the above. That's just my opinion though.
I play a lot of CQB. Lots of buildings and blind corners. The camera and screen would run off a light 12vdc battery pack

I have a custom made harness from a 2" military belt, "Y" harness, and Three tri-pod belt pod packs attached, 1 on each side and back. I pack 4 pods (2 on each side), 1 bottle of water, some paper towels or cloth, a spare 9oz Co2, and have 2 extra slots in the back for whatever.

I have a remote line system.

What's the problem with Co2? The 3.5oz mounted underneath is a backup 150 shots. Its light and compact. A duel Co2 source will power the gun, remote line or I may rig a flexible system to put a 9oz on the folding stock.

If you think all of this will be extremely heavy, it may be to the average person. I am not the average person though. A 10-15lb gun would still be on the light side since I have easily packed a loaded 98C that weighted in at 22+ lbs using a 48oz Co2 to power it.

I am typically a heavy gunner and use a modified 98C but more recently I am trying to keep my paint costs down and am running 4 pods and tac cap every 2 small games in stead of 18 pods and a 450 round hopper for 2 small games.

In addition, I have a simple low power 300 lumen strobe LED light that I will be mounting on for night games.

For going Highly Light Weight (for me anyways), I will be running a TM11-A Pump with auto trigger and a couple accessories.
Quote:
Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

If you're a heavy gunner, why not upgrade to something like an SP-1, or something a little faster? If you're doing CQB, is being loaded down with equipment really that effective?

And what's wrong with CO2? How about.... everything? If you're shooting lots (and it sounds like you are) your consistency will go right out the window, because when any gas changes from a liquid to a gas it absorbs energy from its environment. In this case, it absorbs energy in the form of heat, cooling the rest of the tank, and thereby making it more difficult for the CO2 to vaporize on subsequent shots, lowering pressure and decreasing velocity. This also allows more liquid to flow through the gun, breaking o-rings and (potentially) decreasing the life of the marker.

Instead of all these fancy upgrades, I'd start with a decent air tank. You'll have better accuracy than you would with CO2, and if you go for a fiber-wrapped tank, you'll be substantially lighter as well. If you ever want to play during the winter months as well, CO2 is absolutely out of the question. I don't play woodsball anymore, but shooting CO2 out on a wet farm, and my tank was quickly coated in a thin layer of ice.
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
It needs more drop forwards.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Corrupted355
Addict

Send a message via AIM to Corrupted355
Quote:
If you're a heavy gunner, why not upgrade to something like an SP-1, or something a little faster? If you're doing CQB, is being loaded down with equipment really that effective?

And what's wrong with CO2? How about.... everything? If you're shooting lots (and it sounds like you are) your consistency will go right out the window, because when any gas changes from a liquid to a gas it absorbs energy from its environment. In this case, it absorbs energy in the form of heat, cooling the rest of the tank, and thereby making it more difficult for the CO2 to vaporize on subsequent shots, lowering pressure and decreasing velocity. This also allows more liquid to flow through the gun, breaking o-rings and (potentially) decreasing the life of the marker.

Instead of all these fancy upgrades, I'd start with a decent air tank. You'll have better accuracy than you would with CO2, and if you go for a fiber-wrapped tank, you'll be substantially lighter as well. If you ever want to play during the winter months as well, CO2 is absolutely out of the question. I don't play woodsball anymore, but shooting CO2 out on a wet farm, and my tank was quickly coated in a thin layer of ice.
You're wasting your time. The man's as stubborn as a blue-nose mule when it comes to this stuff. If he's got something in his mind he wants to do, you can be sure as a pig in poop that he'll find a way to get it done if it's possible. You're new here, so we can forgive you this time...

Packrat: I'm not sure what kind of opinion you're looking for. To my eye, it looks like you've already got a pretty good idea of what you'll be doing.

Last edited by Corrupted355 : 07-31-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Corrupted355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Orpackrat

Quote:
If you're a heavy gunner, why not upgrade to something like an SP-1,
My little 98C can shoot over 20BPS or less, it just depends on the trigger pull from the Super RT. Its my first gun and I have been using it for a decade+ now. It has turned into my heavy gunner gun, don't need another.

Quote:
Playing as a heavy gunner, and using typical Co2 tanks, you will have freezing issues. However if you use my Co2 tanks for a heavy gunner position, you have to shoot about a case of paint rather fast for these to start to ice over. As a heavy gunner, I run remote lines to double 48oz Co2 tanks. With the great volume from the tanks, its takes a lot to start having consistency and freezing issues. For winter play, still no problems. If some arise, I invert and re-chrono to run on liquid Co2. Decade+ of Co2 in one gun and I'm only replaced the O-rings twice. Gun has lots of life left.

Quote:
For playing as a heavy gunner, I have no problems with my accuracy, a barrel kit and apex tip modded on the barrel backs. With my massive Co2 assembly, I have rather consistent pressure so that's not a problem. Winter play, still quite possible with Co2, worst case scenario, run on liquid Co2, quick little change. Besides, the HPA tank I would convert too is a little out of my price range at the moment, its a 550/4500 for about $750.

Also, while I normally do play as a heavy gunner, this A5 will not be used as a heavy gunner. I will keep it with having a Tac cap and limit pods to 4. Being a Heavy Gunner is expensive and I can not do it this year so I am building up this A5 to have a tactical advantage without superior firepower. Duel Co2 systems is logical to me, due to using small tanks, if I have to change out Co2 tanks to the spare 9oz I carry, I can turn on the 3.5oz and have a 150 shots in case of emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted355 View Post
You're wasting your time. The man's as stubborn as a blue-nose mule when it comes to this stuff. If he's got something in his mind he wants to do, you can be sure as a pig in poop that he'll find a way to get it done if it's possible. You're new here, so we can forgive you this time...
I have my reasons for doing things and they make sense to me. I make them work well even though with typical down sides (example, Co2's down sides).

Quote:
Packrat: I'm not sure what kind of opinion you're looking for. To my eye, it looks like you've already got a pretty good idea of what you'll be doing.
Changes, alterations, etc.
For example, I got the suggestion: Instead of running remote or integrating the Co2 tank into the folding stock, to simply use a rail mounted ASA on top of the gun and have the tank sit on top just hanging a bit off the back.
Since I will be more mobile with the A5, mounting the tank on top is easier and will make me more mobile than running remote.

Other suggestions. What would be cool to put on a paintball gun. However, even if it is cool, it has to be functional, virtually nothing on my guns are for looks (mag and what not were free with the gun so If I can incorporate them, I will).
Quote:

Last edited by Orpackrat : 07-31-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Ironman289
Paintball......

How about a small "grenade" launcher on the rt side rail in front of the tac-cap?
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Orpackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman289 View Post
How about a small "grenade" launcher on the rt side rail in front of the tac-cap?
What kind? The M203 ones from RAP4 and such are nothing more than over sized shot guns, not something I will get.

The Metadyne HAVOC is an option but then its far too long to be mounted on the right side unless the barrel could be tucked away, perhaps by adding a second break breach to make the barrel fold underneath and lock, cutting the length just about in half and being a possibility.

There is also the home made option. This I have not done in a while since the Metadyne HAVOC came out. It is still a possibility but all standard designs are out of the window as it would have to be compact and adjustable.... Thinking about it, It would have to use a 1/2" brass ball valve, 2" barrel removable barrel with twist lock. Air system would tap into the barrel, just behind the rocket to keep the system far shorter but compromising on power and range. Adjustability could come from an old evil detonator regulator just before the valve. Valve would have to mount directly to the barrel for best efficiency but handle would have to be reworked for best reach. Would need a double valve system for efficiency and safety since planned on board Co2 will be limited already.

Other suggestions?
Quote:
Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Corrupted355
Addict

I think it needs a Maxablaster (a spotlight so powerful, it has a key). And a bayonet. And maybe a minibar.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Quote:
You're new here, so we can forgive you this time...

Coenen, can I put your quote in my sig?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Ironman289
Paintball......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpackrat View Post
What kind? The M203 ones from RAP4 and such are nothing more than over sized shot guns, not something I will get.

The Metadyne HAVOC is an option but then its far too long to be mounted on the right side unless the barrel could be tucked away, perhaps by adding a second break breach to make the barrel fold underneath and lock, cutting the length just about in half and being a possibility.

There is also the home made option. This I have not done in a while since the Metadyne HAVOC came out. It is still a possibility but all standard designs are out of the window as it would have to be compact and adjustable.... Thinking about it, It would have to use a 1/2" brass ball valve, 2" barrel removable barrel with twist lock. Air system would tap into the barrel, just behind the rocket to keep the system far shorter but compromising on power and range. Adjustability could come from an old evil detonator regulator just before the valve. Valve would have to mount directly to the barrel for best efficiency but handle would have to be reworked for best reach. Would need a double valve system for efficiency and safety since planned on board Co2 will be limited already.

Other suggestions?
I was thinking of the Rap4 M203 as kinda like an emergency shot when the tac-cap is empty. Your not a fan of those? I wanted to take one of my old spyders and mount it under my barrel to use as a "shotgun" but I never got around to it. Just an idea.....
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Coenen
Super Moderator

Quote:

Coenen, can I put your quote in my sig?
Go for it dude. Been a while since someone quoted me. You could probably do to replace that blurb about why we should "fear you" anyway
Old 07-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Quote:
Go for it dude. Been a while since someone quoted me. You could probably do to replace that blurb about why we should "fear you" anyway
Ouch.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Coenen
Super Moderator

It's probably fine. I'm sure your E-pride wasn't hurt too badly. We all have something in our sig like that at some point or another. Eventually you'll look back on that and be like, "Wow, that made me sound silly instead of like I knew anything about paintball."
Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
BluShift
I accidentally the whole

Quote:
It's probably fine. I'm sure your E-pride wasn't hurt too badly. We all have something in our sig like that at some point or another. Eventually you'll look back on that and be like, "Wow, that made me sound silly instead of like I knew anything about paintball."
It was actually meant more to reference the fact that I'm underestimated because of my set-up, not that I'm some kind of up-and-coming Ollie Lang or whatever

I'm really not even that good. I'm kinda out of shape, and I'm relatively new to speedball/X-Ball. I just often find "pros" assuming I'm a total non-threat on the field, and that's when they find themselves in the dead box

But looking back at it, it did sound awfully douchey...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Curly Fry
US TUBES

I was a noob once too... Even corrupted
Model 98, 98C ACT, F7 Fusion, SL-68 II
Friendly Fire Paintball ~ Fox 4 Paintball
Upton, MA
Curly Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Coenen
Super Moderator

Weren't we all. Especially Corrupted

I should see if the archives here will let me dig back through some of you guys' earliest posts. If you've never thought to go back and look at your first few threads/posts it can be rather humbling.

Packrat, sorry for the hijacking. It looks like a crazy project, like my brain is melting and I'm staring at my screen saying, "Why in God's name would you want to do any of that?!?!?" Which means, invariably, it'll be pretty freakin' sweet when you're done. One thing though, if you're fiddling with video, screw the A-5, get a TPX, or similar pistol and make yourself a full on Corner Shot. That might make for the coolest mil-sim project...pretty much ever. Unless you cooked up one of those flashlight/transformer style deals.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Corrupted355
Addict

Ouch guys. What's with the picking on the old guy? Of course I was a noob once, just like everyone else, but that was a long time ago. Thankfully, this forum doesn't allow you to search posts older than a certain date, so most of my brain-dead comments are long lost to the annals.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Coenen
Super Moderator

Who's an old guy? Yeah, The best I can do is threads started in April 2007, and you weren't half the idiot you could've been by then.