pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #11641
Ironman289
Paintball......

Do the ones from Dunhams have cosmoline on them? I didn't go in to look at them I just saw the ad for them in their paper. If you aren't into reloading what would be the best choice for ammo?
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #11642
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Send a message via AIM to spydyrodeo Send a message via Yahoo to spydyrodeo
They are all gonna have cosmoline on them more than likely.

As to the best ammo? Whatever your rifle likes. Most of the surplus is good stuff and will shoot great out of most mosins, but is corrosive. Many people make a big stink about corrosive ammo saying it will rust your gun within 30 minutes if you dont clean it, wrong. Corrosive ammo has salts in the priming compound, and those salts deposit in your bore when you fire the rifle. If those salts come into contact with moisture, they oxidize. It can very seriously rust your bore. Most idiots spray windex down their bore when they leave the range and come home to find the bore full of oxidation. I've never had that problem. I've let my mosins go 2 days without cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo, but I didn't let them come into contact with moisture. When I do decide to clean mine, I just clean them with windex and then follow normal cleaning procedures, but I don't make a big stink about it because it's no big deal. Armies around the world wouldn't issue corrosive ammo if it would make the guns rust to the point not being usable overnight. The russians didn't clean their rifles sometimes for a week during the battle on the volga in stalingrad.

FAMILY, FAITH, FLAG, AND FIREARMS...THESE I'D DIE FOR.
XBL gamertag: MT tman186.
PSN: whitefang5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMongoose View Post
I have a 6th grade education but have alot of common sense.
spydyrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #11643
FertileTurtle
mokal

what is this "corrosive ammo" you speak of? like, aluminum on steel? i'm not sure if that's exactly what i'm thinking of, but i'm durnk do cut me some sslakck.
FertileTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #11644
Ironman289
Paintball......

My take on corrosive ammo = any powder formulas that use salts in the mixtures makes the bore rust (oxidize) when it absorbs moisture. It shouldn't be a problem unless you neglect your gun though.

If it were as big of a problem as its hyped up to be then there wouldn't be very many older guns left intact and use-able. I'd imagine its rather hard to find an antique gun thats never been used.
Ironman289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #11645
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman289 View Post
My take on corrosive ammo = any powder formulas that use salts in the mixtures makes the bore rust (oxidize) when it absorbs moisture. It shouldn't be a problem unless you neglect your gun though.

If it were as big of a problem as its hyped up to be then there wouldn't be very many older guns left intact and use-able. I'd imagine its rather hard to find an antique gun thats never been used.
The salts are in the priming compound, not the powder and there's lots of them in surplus ammo because it's berdan primed. Berdan primed ammo is where the anvil for the primer is in the case, and it has 2 flash holes, and the primer is merely a cup full of priming compound, where as a boxer primed case (the kind you will see 90% of the time in factory made and the kind that is most common and easiest to reload) has the anvil inside of the primer and 1 flash hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileTurtle View Post
what is this "corrosive ammo" you speak of? like, aluminum on steel? i'm not sure if that's exactly what i'm thinking of, but i'm durnk do cut me some sslakck.
This corrosive ammo I speak of, is ammunition where a certain type of salts has been placed in the priming compound. These salts placed in the priming compound allow the ammo to last longer in bad conditions, and also makes the priming compound more sensitive when it's colder, because priming compound is pressure sensitive. Upon firing the ammo, the salts are then deposited in the bore, because gun powder doesn't explode, gunpowder burns and turns into a gas... where as primers explode and deposit their soot and crap all over the place. Take a primed case without any powder or bullet and fire it off in your gun (wear ear muffs and eye protection, and do this in the garage with loud music to muffle the noise!) and watch all the sparks fly out of the end of the muzzle, of course this is not possible for you unless you reload. Just make sure you don't expose your bore to moisture after firing your rifle with corrosive ammo like... don't take it out in the rain, don't spray windex down the bore right away, don't spit or pee down it etc.. etc.. etc... Just put the rifle in the case and go home and clean it within a timely manner, like 1-3 days. It's not a big deal.

EDIT: When you do clean it within 1-3 days, use warm soapy water, or windex on the first few patches you run down the bore. This will push all the salts out, especially the warm soapy water. Just soak a few patches in it, or however many patches it takes to get a tight fit and run them down the bore.

Quote:

Last edited by spydyrodeo : 11-19-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #11646
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Send a message via AIM to banderson
I hate you, Spydy... I came across a Mosin-Nagant at JAX sporting goods yesterday and I couldn't resist. The wood on it is fantastic, got a nice red color to it. It hasn't been counter bored. All the serials match, and it is in really excellent condition as far as I am concerned. I'm home for Thanksgiving, but I'll try and get pics up tomorrow or the next day if I can find a camera.

Its a 1942 Russian 91/30.

Last edited by banderson : 11-20-2010 at 07:31 PM.
banderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #11647
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson View Post
I hate you, Spydy... I came across a Mosin-Nagant at JAX sporting goods yesterday and I couldn't resist. The wood on it is fantastic, got a nice red color to it. It hasn't been counter bored. All the serials match, and it is in really excellent condition as far as I am concerned. I'm home for Thanksgiving, but I'll try and get pics up tomorrow or the next day if I can find a camera.

Do some research and learn the arsenal and such. You're really gonna love that rifle.

Quote:
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #11648
Head Hunter 221
Likes Potatoes.

Send a message via AIM to Head Hunter 221
Quote:

Another case of mosinitis.....

Keep your wallet away from gun shows, shops, etc.

spydyrodeo:"
(10:08:53 PM): my butts sore"
Head Hunter 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #11649
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Hunter 221 View Post
Another case of mosinitis.....

Keep your wallet away from gun shows, shops, etc.
Yeah, but not just because of Mosin's. I swore I was done after the Remington 870, but that didn't happen.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #11650
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Yeah, but not just because of Mosin's. I swore I was done after the Remington 870, but that didn't happen.
Now you're really in for a trip.... Best keep your mosins separate, they reproduce.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #11651
spydadude
Bаnned

Send a message via AIM to spydadude
I bought a bunch of stuff for my car instead of a mosin. Whoops. However, I'll be using a new shift knob, boot, strut bars, and HID headlights more than a rifle, especially because I can't take the rifle to school.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #11652
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #11653
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Nice, you got a little cosmoline in the wood. That won't come out unless you refinish, but if you follow my technique for removing cosmoline off the outside of the wood it will feel good in the hands. Now... go shoot it and post a target.

EDIT: Looks like it may be refinished by someone else. The sling escushions(sp?) don't have any shellac on them... on post war stocks they just socked the crap to it without making it look nice, right over the sling escushions, and when a stock is refinished on a mosin by the time you're done sanding that is all long gone.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #11654
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

I was actually having a hard time convincing myself that the sling escushions we actually in place because they were covered so deep in shallac, so I took a razor blade to them and cleaned them off. Then polished them with steel wool. Yeah it's still got some of the cosmoline in it, I broke it down, cleaned, and oiled all the metal, but didn't spend much time on the stock. I gave it a once over with steel wool then put some clear oil on it. I'm going to call it good 'till I shoot it acouple times.
I am home for Thanksgiving and I called the two gun shops within 1hr of here and neither have the 7.62's so I might just have to wait for a week to shoot it.. :sad:
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #11655
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydadude View Post
I bought a bunch of stuff for my car instead of a mosin. Whoops. However, I'll be using a new shift knob, boot, strut bars, and HID headlights more than a rifle, especially because I can't take the rifle to school.
^ Yeah. I'm probably going to be selling my .22's and PM8 to pay for the car. Although there really aren't any parts I want for it right now, needs some new synchros but that's warranty work.

That is a nice looking mosin though. I always used to want a springfield 1903, never seen one in a store for a reasonable price.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #11656
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

You won't ever see one for a reasonable price either.... I don't see what makes the price of American military firearms when a lot of the time, some of them were of lesser quality than some of the more affordable military firearms from other countries. Oh well....

Quote:
Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #11657
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
CLP. Best thing they ever made for guns in temperate climates. For anywhere else. ASAT lube. Sand don't stick to it and it's slicker than owl poo.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #11658
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Wayz View Post
it's slicker than owl poo
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #11659
4THDEGREE
Super Moderator - Legend

Send a message via AIM to 4THDEGREE
I prefer "slicker than deer guts on a brass door knob"......
The Old Dawgs Member #1
06 Empire Timmy, YES, I own an Onyx SE! Newest addition...egads I now own an Angel A1
NAnarchy OT - We Are Cooler Than YouN
Team No Regrets
-no drama, no BS, no regrets....play to be respected!
Pro Paintball Weekly
www.compulsivepaintball.com
4THDEGREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #11660
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Slicker than snot.

Quote: