pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Other Equipment

Old 10-04-2003, 05:57 AM   #1
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
Looking for equipment? Read this

Okay I know many people are asking right now about gloves, pod packs and drops. SO I thought I'd take the time to write this guide out, I hope it helps.

Pbreview.com
use it to read some of the reviews.

Gloves: the first question that always comes to mind first to many people is, "Should I Or Why Should I Wear Gloves?". A answer to this is simply that it gives you slightly better grip on the marker, padding, protection. For some people they can go rambo style and don't need these. But for many others like myself, I find these are a key peice of equipment.

When buying gloves look for these things.
+1+ Comfort - It's gonna be comfy so that you don't want to take them off, hence defeating the purpose of buying the gloves in the first place.

+2+ Full finger or half - This is all about personal preference and goes along with comfort, if you dont' like the gloves you won't wear them. Also a consideration is some mountainbiking gloves that have all the fingers except the pointer finger and middle finger in full fingers.

+3+ Protection - Is that padding in the right place to help you if you get hit by a paintball in the hand? Does the padding feel too bulky or unneccary? Look for gloves that feel as though they have your back hand covered, butnot so much as to feel like there is too much of it.

+4+ Price - Always something to consider, a person doesn't always need the brandname equipment, if they work for you then buy them, it doesn't matter the price really. I have gloves that are $11. and they work great.

Pod Packs: These will help many players if they tend to shoot more than 1 hopper full (or around 180 paintballs or so) in a single game and will need the extra ammo. For back players these are a MUST. For mid/front it all depends on how that person's style of play is. Even if you don't shoot a lot, it doesn't hurt to at least buy one of these just for the ease of mind that you know you have more paint if you do shoot a lot in a game once in a while.

Buying pod packs is about many things.
+1+ How many pods does it hold? And how big are the pods that it can hold? - When looking at packs this should be one of the first things to consider. There are packs that range from 2-as many as 8 pods I've seen. Just think about how much paint you will want to carry extra, remember more paint also equals more weight, so if you have to run alot I wouldn't suggest a pack that wholes more than 3-4 pods. Also when looking at this, look at how big the pods that the pack can hold. Usuauly they are 110 or 140 round pods.
Remember that if a pack says 4+1 it actually means that it holds 5 pods, just 1 is not in the same alignment as the others.
3+2 means it holds 3 pods one way and 2 another. Or the +1 means it can hold a tank as well, which brings me to my next point...

+2+ Remote Line? - For some people who use remote lines they might want this. The pack will say can fit Co2 or HPA tanks up to a certain size. If you need a pack to run a remote line, then look at where the remote is stored during game play, the best packs usualy have the tank sitting in the middle of the pack.

+3+ Comfort - If you can by all means try on the pack before you buy it, but if you can't then you'll just have to buy one that looks like it will feel good. Most packs will usually feel the same on your back.

+4+ Direction of pods - Figure out which you would rather have, a straight vertical pod, or horizontal pods. Practice and figure out which feels more repeated and easy to do.

+5+ Accessories - Some packs like the Redz packs make you buy a special belt that works on their packs, but not others. So see if the pack comes already with the belt, if it can run any belt, or if you have to buy a special one.

+6+ Price - Always critical. If you find a pack that you think will work for you, don't worry about how much it cost $10-$50 if it works for you then buy it. Just remember with some you have to buy their equipment and that will add more onto the total.

Then read this article to get a more in depth analysis
Great Harness Thread

Drop Forwards: These are all about preferance. Some players don't use them (look at Dynasty) but many people like them. They allow you to tuck in closer to a bunker. They get their name because it drops the tank down and moves the tank forward, hence DROP FORWARD.

+1+ Drop- How much drop does it have? - If you have a bigger tank you will want to figure out how much you will want the tank to drop so that it still tucks in your shoulder well. Most drops have a range of about 1-2".

+2+ Forward- How much forward does the tank have? - If you have a very large tank but want the gun closer to your body, look for a longer forward, if you have a stubbier tank you can get away with less forward. This is also personal preferance, I've seen people put them backwards and have their tank sticking forward. Normal range for the forwardness of a drop is around 2-8.5".

+3+ Looks - How does it actualy look like on your gun. Is there a specific look you want your gun to have. This isn't a big factor the big ones are the drop and the forward. Looks are just a bonus.

+4+ Price - How much does it cost? They can be fairly expensive for some if you buy them in certain materials.

+5+ Adaptation - Most drops will fit only with certain screw hole patterns, unless you have a cocker or other gun, you may need to be mindful of your gun and how the screws attach.

I hope this helps. If you want more information added, please tell me and I will put it up here. Reach me at AIM: ProtomanGGA MSN Messenger: FFTidus@hotmail.com Yahoo: sp0rtsg0d or ICQ: 109355522

thanks Calebd2, and Turambar

p.s if you have more to say please pm me about it, or if you want to write a part for this write it then I'll edit it again and include your info.

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here

Last edited by chibissj : 01-06-2004 at 03:56 PM.
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
Gothmog
VeggiesAreWhatFoodEats-wb

Send a message via AIM to Gothmog
Excellent sticky. I thought I'd add a discovery of my own. Edit/Add/Delete it as you wish:

Gloves
Don't feel restricted to paintball brands. I went through three different pairs of paintball specific gloves before I decided to try some IronClad Framers gloves. They work perfectly for my style of play and cost half as much. You won't find any reviews for them or any other utility glove on pbreview so you'll have to do a bit of research on your own. Here's some links to get you started:
www.hatch-corp.com
www.iclad.com
www.irwin.com
www.mechanix.com

Airsoft Systems
The Grenadiers
Please Visit These Sponsors:
The Q Project
Tsunami
Tactical Air
Mr Paintball
AEX
Airsoft GI

Last edited by Gothmog : 04-28-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
splatinator

gloves

I agree totally. gloves are as important as eye protection!
One of the coolest things i have found is glove liners.. they keep the sweat from messing your gloves up.. check out a review of them here: http://www.glovegeeks.com/modules.ph...article&sid=20

also i saw some cool camoflauge gloves on there too:
http://www.glovegeeks.com/modules.ph...article&sid=33

but i dont know if i could use them here in Nevada.. too hot. The glove-mate glove liners rule though, cheap and soooo worth it
splatinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
inuyasharox4776
It's the E talking.

Send a message via AIM to inuyasharox4776 Send a message via MSN to inuyasharox4776 Send a message via Yahoo to inuyasharox4776
why would they be almost as important as eye protection? if you get shot in the hand without a glove I think its better than losing an eye without eye protection.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
The Thnickaman

dude, tell me you know how it feels to be hit in the knuckle. yes, it is better than being shot in the eye, but to me it is the worse place to be shot in paintball (i use a cup so i feel safe down there)
The Thnickaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
tom spencer
mountainsheep

Send a message via MSN to tom spencer
i just wear a pair of simple fingerless gloves and that fine for me but your hands get sweaty

If you paid for every piece of your gear by yourself, put this in your signature

(\_/)
(o.o)
(> <) copy bunny into your profile help him achieve world domination
tom spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
lilskul

Send a message via AIM to lilskul
Great Post, but thanks to you, now that I know all of this, I have to rethink my current pod pack.
lilskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
monty_guanaco
british/argie paintballer

If you're a woodsballer, choosing dark green gloves over black can make the difference in contrast with your backround (if it's green)

i've seen people using special gloves , originally designed fo motocross, which look like half finger gloves, but have prtotecting padding all the way to the tip of your fingers. that way you can ensure that when you get hit on the back of your hand by a 300fps full auto marker you shout "hit" and not "HOLY S***" "
Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Spyke1015
Woodsballer

Send a message via AIM to Spyke1015
gloves, while by far not as vital as masks can mean the difference between busted and unseen.
I saw a guy wearing a ghillie and digital bdu's and all i saw of him was his hands....
He was a white guy with no gloves...lame
While I didnt tag his hand, I told him how i found him and he wasn't very happy about losing due to the absence of a $11 piece of clothing
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
DamonP45

I use and recommend the Hatch Elite Duty Gloves. Second choice would be the HK-350's. The Mechanix MPACT gloves are definitely worth looking at.
DamonP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Evil_Wayz
Malevolence Personified

Location: Gainesville, Florida, HOME OF THE MIGHTY GATORS aka TITLETOWN,USA
Send a message via AIM to Evil_Wayz Send a message via MSN to Evil_Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Evil_Wayz
No offense damon, but hatch gloves weren't designed to do anything vis a vis a paintball. They were meant to keep your hands from being abraded and from being burned. Plus, I don't know about yours, but my swat operator shorties cost 50 bucks, and I could easily get a good pair of paintball gloves for much cheaper, that would actually protect my hands from the impact of a .68 caliber projectile travelling at around 280 fps.
Semper Fidelis
La Illaha Illa Shaitan
"Marines die. That's what we are here for. But the Marine Corps will live forever."
Evil_Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
DamonP45

They were $25.

I have used several different gloves and I love these. I use them for everything. Very good grip, feel, durable, and water resistant and that's all I really care about.

Edit: Thank you for serving.
DamonP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
EyeMaster

I got nice Neoprene gloves from an army surplus store. Guy said that was what swat teams and navy use, but whatever. Good even if they get wet.
EyeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
elbrookso
elbrookso

listen guys, just get some paintball gloves. They are not expensive at all. On average, they range from $10 to $40. The only other good ones that I have seen suggested here are the Mechanix and they cost 25. Actual paintball gloves will protect you better though.

Neoprene may be a good Idea in the winter, but your hands are sure gonna sweat in the summer.
elbrookso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
wolf16731
Gunslinger

Send a message via Yahoo to wolf16731
to be honest, i used to use motocross gloves and they were great, but i'm gonna try some half finger gloves from werks and see how they do. i'll get back to u on that and by the way, your welcome DamonP45

-Tippmann 98 ACT (click here for pics and mods)
-Tippmann "B5" (click here for pics and mods)
-Tippmann TPX on preorder
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Crewdog78

I found a pair of fingerless leather gloves at a military surplus store for $4 and I put took them through hell and back and they worked very nicely. Provided more than adequate protection, gave me awesome grip, and didn't overheat my hands as bad as most other gloves would in warm weather.
Crewdog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #17
Ranana_kils

Send a message via ICQ to Ranana_kils
Looking for equipment Read this

i agree, check out the sponsors, most have shipping or are in the middle of setting it up Aqua Valley . some are just livestock, some equipment and some handle both

if youre having problems finding what you need, just let us know and im sure we can tell you where to get it.

good luck
Ranana_kils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
margrate9browny

chibissj you have given quite detailed information of gloves. I was looking for the half finger gloves which I am noting getting easily as compared to full. Also it is very economical.