pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > Off Topic

Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #12381
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Send a message via AIM to spydyrodeo Send a message via Yahoo to spydyrodeo
Oni, which one is better to you

1st or 2nd? I like the 1st myself.

FAMILY, FAITH, FLAG, AND FIREARMS...THESE I'D DIE FOR.
XBL gamertag: MT tman186.
PSN: whitefang5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMongoose View Post
I have a 6th grade education but have alot of common sense.
spydyrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #12382
iconoclast
HTFU

Send a message via AIM to iconoclast
Trick question. Both are the same objects, just from different angles.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #12383
Head Hunter 221
Likes Potatoes.

Send a message via AIM to Head Hunter 221
If you could reposition with the same angle as the bottom picture but flipped on (it looks like) the deck to where the metal caught the reflection like top one it would look great, imo.

spydyrodeo:"
(10:08:53 PM): my butts sore"
Head Hunter 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #12384
Oni Gumo

the 2nd is better overall because the majority of the objects are facing in more appropriate looking directions. The guns position is better in the 1st one, everything else is better in the second though.
Oni Gumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #12385
JasonA
Mental Reg date: 9-24-02

Send a message via AIM to JasonA
In the 2nd one, the shotshell looks like a little green bunghole. It is very distracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
Remeber it's all fun and games untill someone looses a nut.
JasonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #12386
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Looking for a used dirt bike, any make/model suggestions?
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #12387
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Send a message via AIM to banderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
Yamaha are awesome, but I really don't think you can go wrong if you stay with the well known companies like Honda, and Kawasaki. I would suggest AT LEAST a 250 (two stroke) otherwise you will get bored really quickly. I would just say get on Craigslist and find some nice clean ones within your price range then go look at them. Anyone can tell if a dirtbike has been taken care of and is in good working condition.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #12388
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

I would imagine a 4 stroke would be less likely to dump you if you give it too much throttle. And mixing fuel is an inconvenience. But it sounds like a 250 four stroke is not enough, and I've read a bunch of posts saying 4 strokes are unreliable and require more maintenance. I don't see why, pretty much everything is 4 stroke these days and it's not difficult to adjust valve clearance and such, but that's what I've read.

Basically I've read a lot of mixed opinions. It sounds like a 450 four stroke is the way to go, trick is finding one used for a good price.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #12389
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
If you have 0 experience on motorcycles, or only a little, stay off any 2 stroke (yz,kx,cr,rm 125-250). Same goes with the 4 stroke race bikes.

Quote:
I would imagine a 4 stroke would be less likely to dump you if you give it too much throttle. And mixing fuel is an inconvenience. But it sounds like a 250 four stroke is not enough, and I've read a bunch of posts saying 4 strokes are unreliable and require more maintenance. I don't see why, pretty much everything is 4 stroke these days and it's not difficult to adjust valve clearance and such, but that's what I've read.

Basically I've read a lot of mixed opinions. It sounds like a 450 four stroke is the way to go, trick is finding one used for a good price.
I'm only going to say this once. I've been riding and racing motorcycles for over 10 years now.

You don't understand how radical a 4 stroke or 2 stroke race bike is. These 4 stroke thumpers put out monster torque. Those 4 stroke race bikes are radical and will dump your *** before you can blink or even have time to scream. On motocross bikes, you literally touch the throttle and the front wheel is off the ground. The reason these modern 4 stroke race bikes (don't confuse these bikes, like the yz 250 and 450F with stuff like the honda XR motorcycles) are so unreliable, is because they're single cylinder 4 stroke race bikes, they're capable of putting out 13,000-14,000 RPM, and with all the moving parts of a 4 stroke, they break very easy, and the maintenance is ridiculous on them. They also need a top end like a 2 stroke, and one 4 stroke top end is a years worth of 2 stroke top ends. Keep in mind, inline 4 sportbikes rev to 14k RPM's. If you are on a budget, you do not want a 4 stroke motocross bike.

And you won't be saying a yz250f, or something equivalent is not enough power when you go ride one. If you want to be a jack ***, and jump on a yz250f, or be out of your mind and jump on a yz450f with no exerpience, same goes with a yz125, or yz250 or equivalent, then be my guest. But when you get hurt you'll understand. You need to start with something like a yamaha TTR, even the bigger yamaha TTR's are not radical like the YZ's. Much tamer.

Let me put it this way. My 05 KX125 put out 32 horse power. That bike would wheelie with my dads 280 pound *** on it wide open up to 5th gear, and the front tire would just hover off the ground in 6th gear. These bikes are race bikes for a reason, and with a 2 stroke, you have all that power on tap, and they're maybe even a little more radical than the 4 stroke race bikes, just don't have the torque.

It's your money, but I'd listen to the experienced racer before I went out and hurt myself on a race bike.

Quote:

Last edited by spydyrodeo : 07-18-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #12390
banderson
I get Jack - Legend

Send a message via AIM to banderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydyrodeo View Post
If you have 0 experience on motorcycles, or only a little, stay off any 2 stroke (yz,kx,cr,rm 125-250). Same goes with the 4 stroke race bikes.
Yeah I think that is bad advice.
I agree a newbie to riding shouldn't get a race bike and should start out a bike small enough they can handle, but not small enough that they will get bored in a week.
But to throw out a blanket statement of "stay off any two stroke" is just bad advice. I've ridden two and four stroke dirt bikes and they will both lay you on your a$$ if you decide to be a moron and jack the throttle. But their are plenty of 2-stroke bikes that I would recommend for a beginner.

That being said, I would start on an older bike. Not some 2000-2010 Yamaha. If you get an older bike you won't feel like a retard when you drop if for the first time. Find something like in the 1989-1998 range. Two stroke look in the 125-250 range and four-strokes you could look a touch bigger like maybe less then 360, but a 125 would probably be too small.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #12391
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

More conflicting opinions, yay! Now I'm even more unsure of what to look for.

I don't have a nice soft dirt trail to ride on and I don't have the experience yet, I don't want to get a bike that will take forever for me to learn on. But at the same time, I've been riding/jumping/being a hooligan on non-motorized freestyle and mountain bikes since I was a little kid, I've had more broken bones from that than I can count on my fingers. I know that regardless of what I get there will be some pain involved at one point or another, but wearing proper gear and riding on open ground to start I don't see anything happening where I couldn't get up and brush myself off. And I know this isn't the same, but I feel like I grew out of my 250cc quad within a couple hours of riding time. I don't want that to happen with a bike.

I don't want to be an overconfident *******, that's why I'm asking people for advice. But I do have good judgement when I want to and I tend to learn pretty quickly when it comes to motorsports.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #12392
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Went to the cycle shop just to look at what they had, talked to two people and both of them told me different things (just like everyone else I ask.) The first guy wanted to sell me a 125F, which power aside is smaller than my mountain bike and I know isn't going to work. The second guy told me to look for a 230F trail bike, they didn't have any in stock at the time.

About the trail bike, what kind of abuse can they take? I don't plan on competitive racing or jumping over buildings anytime soon and may never use a motocross bike to it's full capabilities, but I also don't typically cruise casually along trails.

With my 250 trail quad I do some jumps and I'm pretty much always at full throttle. It won't go any faster and won't jump any higher without breaking, I don't want to be in this situation with a bike. Can a 4 stroke 230-250 trail bike stand being at full throttle most of the time, and can the suspension take bigger jumps? Or should I be looking for something like a 125/250F motocross bike?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #12393
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

A TTR-230F has more horsepower than you'll ever use for a while, and will not possibly kill you or get you in trouble fast like a YZ250F, which is a full blown race bike. They aren't putting out the horse power, but you obviously haven't ridden something just a touch over 200 pounds with well over 20 horse power. Even a TTR-230, that can't rev to 14k RPM like yz250F will haul ***. The suspension will be a little softer because it's a trail bike but you can play with it a little. It will handle any abuse you may put on it. Many moons ago I had a yamaha TTR-90, and I rode the living piss out of that thing and I bet it's still running wherever it is. These bikes are not mountain bikes.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #12394
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Alright, well I'll keep an eye out for a 230 then. Shop has like 20 of the TT-R125's in stock, a bunch of new and used 450 MX bikes, nothing in between right now. Been looking online too, but most of the bikes I've seen locally for decent prices are pretty beat.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #12395
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Any opinions on a 2006 KLX300? Have a neighbor selling a used one, seems like a good deal.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #12396
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Quote:
Any opinions on a 2006 KLX300? Have a neighbor selling a used one, seems like a good deal.
Good bikes.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #12397
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

I have acquired said bike:

It's got 200 miles on it, in real good shape. Dynojet kit, UNI filter kit, Four Stroke Works exhaust and some diff handlebars and handguards.

I probably won't get a chance to ride it until sunday, but it feels like the perfect height for me. Might need to figure out the suspension though, previous owner probably had about 70lbs on me.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #12398
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Yeah, one of my friend's took a dive off his R6 last month going too hard on the front brake, totaled the bike. And I've done it on a mountain bike, it's very uncomfotable. Going to try to avoid that with this thing. I think the rear brake will mess with me though, I'm used to a single mechanical drum on the quad that you can stomp on without locking up.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #12399
spydyrodeo
Neat Purple Title

Bike should treat you well. Even though it's not a racebike, it's still a 300. Take it easy for a while and get used to it. Those are high performance disk brakes, so get used to how they feel and how much you can grab before they lock up. Grab too much front brake on the dirt and you wash out. It's still going to put out a lot of horse power for what it is, but it's a little tamer than say a KX250f.

Quote:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #12400
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Better pic:

Kawasaki definately snagged the best color for their bikes. I rode it up and down the driveway a couple times just 1st and 2nd gear, but it starts on the first kick and rides smooth. Sounds good too, I was expecting a dirt bike with an aftermarket exhaust to be incredibly obnoxious.