pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Equipment Forums > Barrels and Paint

Old 12-01-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Cuervo
Vive Cuervo!

Send a message via AIM to Cuervo
PBR's Flatline Sticky

What is the Flatline?
Flatline is a barrel produced by Tippmann for its series of markers. There was also a limited run of WGP Autocockers with Flatline barrels. Flatlines are most notable for putting backspin on the ball to actually increase the range. No one denies that this works very well… Flatline increases the range of a gun by at least 100 feet.

Where do I get it?
Many major paintball sites have them. Tippmann also sells them direct. The MSRP is $149.95. Realistically, you can pick one up for closer to $100. The resale value is somewhere in the high 70s to low 90s.

How do I install it?
You can send your gun into Tippmann and have them install it for a small fee. See Tippmann’s website (www.tippmann.com) for more information. This isn’t usually advisable because, at some point, you’ll need to clean the barrel, which means disassembling it (and therefore reassembling it.) You might as well learn to install it from the start.

The installation can be tricky and requires paint and air. After you get it configured the first time, it does get much easier. The kit comes with pretty clear instructions, so a little trial and error and patience will get it done.

I’ve lost my manual for my 98/A5 Flatline! HELP!
Never fear, Cuervo (and Tippmann) is here. Clicky clicky.
98 Flatline Manual
A-5 Flatline Manual **NOTE: This is a PDF file and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.**

What are the keys to getting the Flatline working?
Good installation is vital. Ensure it is correctly aligned, so the spin is all backspin, not sidespin (which will have a HEAVY negative impact accuracy.) Also, most Flatline users say a good paint-barrel match is key. Test paint before committing to use it… if it isn’t a good fit, meaning it does not roll out freely, but is easily propelled out the barrel with minimal air, then it will work fine with the Flatline.

Most importantly: DOES IT WORK?
Yes and no. No one will ever deny the Flatline gives you at least an extra 100 feet of range. However, many users report poor accuracy at medium and longer ranges. The counter-argument is that the Flatline that is inaccurate was poorly installed. Basically, the jury is out. If you’ve got time to thoroughly test your Flatline when you buy it, you may figure out the way to achieve this accuracy. However, this is very picky and DOES require time and effort to ensure.

People also question the value of the Flatline’s added range. Sure, it’s a neat trick, but is it practical? The most notable part of this is that paint slows down a lot after 200+ feet in atmosphere. That makes the likelihood of paint breaking at that range pretty low. Paint will definitely break on hard parts (goggle lenses, gun, hopper, etc), but is a lot less likely to break on softer parts (gloves, arms, legs, head, etc.)

In my opinion, the greatest problem with the Flatline is that its orientation is very important to both its range and accuracy. For example, if the gun is titled slightly left or slightly right, it won’t shoot as far and will curve either left or right. If your gun isn’t steady, you WILL experience inaccuracy, which is why this is often toted as a the “sniper’s” barrel. Some people have caught on to the way the spin of the Flatline works and will employ its spin to curve behind obstacles by tilting the gun 90* to either side.

Does it work at high velocities? How about high rates of fire?
The Flatline works best at mid-range velocities (265-285 feet per second.) This has to do with the spin the barrel applies being related to the velocity of the ball; if the ball leaves the barrel too quickly (say, at 300 feet per second), it's not going to pick up enough backspin. Likewise, if it leaves too slowly (say, 215 feet per second), the ball isn't going to have enough velocity to continue moving forward.

The Flatline doesn't necessarily work less effectively at high rates of fire. However, at high rates of fire, a good paint-barrel match becomes more important. A good paint-barrel match will solve any problems with broken paint at high rates of fire. A poor match will lead to all sorts of problems, everything from poor range or accuracy to barrel breaks.
Thanks to Coenen for some specifics and reminding me to add this section.

Does it work on both Speedball and Woodsball? I only play one or the other.
Not really. Most Tippmann owners would agree that Flatlines lose effectiveness in Speedball because its range is not particularly valuable and its accuracy is not improved over other barrels. Because of the rapid-fire snap shooting nature of Speedball, it is difficult to ensure the gun is perfectly upright and not slanted enough to decrease accuracy. In my experience, this makes the Flatline a hindrance in Speedball.

In Woodsball, people speak highly of the Flatline. This is because of the comparatively slow nature of Woodsball and the ability to line up shots and utilization of longer ranges. In Woodsball, you have the time to attempt to exploit the Flatline’s strengths while minimizing its weaknesses.

Is the Flatline right for me?
In my opinion, the Flatline is a viable choice for anyone who fits the following criteria:
a. Plays chiefly Woodsball.
b. Is willing to put the time and effort into correctly testing and installing.
c. Has access to a paint that has a good fit consistently. That is, someone who does not use multiple brands of paint regularly.

If I missed anything major, hit me with a PM or post here. Despite the fact that I absolutely hate the Flatline, I’ve tried to be as fair as possible and (*vomit*) I think I’ve even leaned slightly in favor of the Flatline.

Last edited by Cuervo : 12-01-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Cuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
cuervo you might want to add that the reason that some say it's inaccurate is that the reason is due to the fact that the paintballs will follow the spin of the ball. So basically to get the "most" out of the barrel, one would have to hold it completely level to see it go completely straight. So a minor tilt one way, will result in a ball curving off towards that tilt, and some will say it's inaccurate and not consistent.

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Cuervo
Vive Cuervo!

Quote:
In my opinion, the greatest problem with the Flatline is that its orientation is very important to both its range and accuracy. For example, if the gun is titled slightly left or slightly right, it won’t shoot as far and will curve either left or right. If your gun isn’t steady, you WILL experience inaccuracy, which is why this is often toted as a the “sniper’s” barrel. Some people have caught on to the way the spin of the Flatline works and will employ its spin to curve behind obstacles by tilting the gun 90* to either side.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
ah heh, just kinda skipped that, it's not your opinion, it's fact but good work.

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:47 PM   #5
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Yet another thread to put in the Ultimate Sticky. Good Work.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:13 PM   #6
Coenen
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Coenen Send a message via Yahoo to Coenen
A few things to add:

1.) Many people make the mistake of using a high velocity (285+) with the Flatline, this is not effective, the barrel works best at velocities as low as 265fps and as high as 285fps. However it will take personal testing with a chronograph to determine what velocity is best.

2.) There is a common myth going around that a Flatline breaks lots of paint at high rates of fire. THIS IS IN FACT FALSE! At high rates of fire the Flatline breaks just as little paint as any other decent barrel, with a good paint to barrel match and fresh paint this means not many breaks at all.

*This part is my personal opinion*

You do not need and should not use the shroud. It may look funny, but not using the shroud makes the Flatline a much more user friendly system.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
ALLGROWNUP

Anyway Coenen is the man when it comes to Flatline info, and Cuervo, you did a kick butt job, couldn't tell you don't like FL's at all.

You should also add that tid bit about them wearing out. That is what discouraged me from buying one. When it does wear out it will cost you about 12$ round trip to have it re-sandblasted. That is assuming Tippmann keeps doing them for free, which I predict will end someday as more used ones come into circulation.

Also, one day the Patent will wear off, then it will be neat to see what other Flatline clones will appear for less, or if they even do.

Til later AGU

Last edited by ALLGROWNUP : 01-11-2004 at 11:01 AM.
ALLGROWNUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:46 AM   #8
SpyderPride
^remnant of times past..^

Send a message via AIM to SpyderPride
So will a flatline actually shoot farther than a normal barrel? Or does it just have longer "flatline" distance? Lets say both barrels are angled at 45 degrees and shot. Wouldn't the flatline actually shoot shorter, because it would "peak" and the other would "arc"? I'm asking about TOTAL distance. I think they're both the same for total distance.

My Feedback (PBN)

My Feedback (PBR)

Northern Minnesota 'baller.
SpyderPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #9
Cuervo
Vive Cuervo!

I'm not sure about shooting at a 45 degree angle because I don't know, off the top of my head, the ineraction of the backspin. However, at normal shooting angles (relatively flat trajectories), the Flatline will get an extra 100+ feet. Meaning if your Boomstick is shooting 100 feet, your Flatline is shooting 200+ feet.

I hate to say this in a sticky, but READ THE STICKIES.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
willpill

Send a message via AIM to willpill
*clap clap*
willpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
chinesebugrepel
Self proclaimed hugenaut

Quote:
Originally posted by SpyderPride
So will a flatline actually shoot farther than a normal barrel? Or does it just have longer "flatline" distance? Lets say both barrels are angled at 45 degrees and shot. Wouldn't the flatline actually shoot shorter, because it would "peak" and the other would "arc"? I'm asking about TOTAL distance. I think they're both the same for total distance.
A flatline will go MUCH further if angled up, but this is absolutely useless. The shots slow in mid air enough that by the time they drop they basically fall onto the target. It is close to impossible to hit people because you will overshoot them on any normal field, and if you somehow hit them, one of every 10 shots might actually break.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebonclaw
Trust me, you don't want to argue with chinese.
chinesebugrepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
jimguiles

I thought this was a well thought out post. I shoot a flatline and I love mine. It fits well with my shooting style. Those of us who grew up shooting hunting rifles naturally hold the gun level and straight and so easily get the most out of this barrel. However I do intend to get another set up for speedball. (so I can tip my gun sideways around bunkers) Somebody say more about the flatline wearing out for me.
jimguiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:08 PM   #13
Coenen
Super Moderator

Apparently after the barrel has been used for a long while or a hundred thousand rds or so, the barrel begins to wear smooth on the inside which lessens and finally negates the intended backspin effect. Tippmann will re-sandblast these barrels back to the original roughness inside for free as long as you pay shipping. Call them up an ask, or send them an e-mail and post the reply here for the benefit of all.

It should be noted that the A-5 Flatline relying more on the roughness of the barrel and less on the curve and length wears out more quickly than the Model 98 Version.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:31 AM   #14
Blacksheep
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep Send a message via Yahoo to Blacksheep
Just a note about the range:

The ball spins so it gets something akin to centripital force (spinning force) because the outside is going faster than the centerpoint. So, it will break at longer ranges.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #15
I3est21
New to this sport.!!

Send a message via AIM to I3est21
as one of the people put in the Flatline review. even though 1 out of 10 balls break. you are reaching a target at a much farther distance that ur other barrel wouldn't even reach with
I3est21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #16
Coenen
Super Moderator

Some one needs to use better paint and make sure that the barrel is pushed into the adapter all the way.

Problem solved.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #17
spoon's66
Your Daddy

Send a message via AIM to spoon's66
yea... I have my barrel all the way into the addapter and i still have to mess with the open sight, like bring it up more than having it level, i have to do that every time i reinstall my barrel just to get it shooting straight, is that normal?

F.ried C.hicken. L.overs C.lub F.C.L.C
spoon's66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #18
Coenen
Super Moderator

More detail, maybe I missed something there, but I don't understand the question.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #19
spoon's66
Your Daddy

Send a message via AIM to spoon's66
ok, my barrel is pointing downward when i hold it straight, and i have to tilt the gun to get the ball to go straight, and i cant push the barrel in anymore.

F.ried C.hicken. L.overs C.lub F.C.L.C
spoon's66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:25 PM   #20
Coenen
Super Moderator

Much better.

Sounds like a factory defect to me, assuming you have the M98 version you might also have your bolts too tight. Old 98C's are known for their funny threads that casue barrels to point at odd angles(hence why Tippmann recently added an extra thread to the recievers), maybe yours just points down. Do other barrels do it as well?