pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

View Poll Results: Confused?
Not confused anymore 46 79.31%
Still confused 12 20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
Post Never Ending Stream of the Same Questions

What does an LPR do and how does an impulse work? These are two questions I've heard one too many times recently and I would like to answer them now, so no one will have to ask them again.

Okay, what do spyders, angels, bushmaster, vikings, and intimidators have in common? Well, they all operate on the same basic design; a bolt over a hammer that moves forward when the trigger is pulled (from either the force of a ram and solenoid-i'll explain later-or a spring, like on spyder(clones) and opens a valve which sends air to the paintball and out that paintball goes.

A solenoid is what begins the firing process on impulses, if you were an impulse the circuit board would be your brain and the solenoid your heart. When the gun fires, a signal is sent to the solenoid (it is actually called a solenoid valve, but I will just call it a solenoid) and the solenoid opens and sends a burst of air behind the ram which pushes the hammer/bolt (the bolt is connect to the hammer by a bolt pin) forward. Then the solenoid closes and sends a burst of air to the front of the ram sending it shooting backwards and thus moving the hammer/bolt back into "cocked" position. It is a little bit like how a 3-way on an Autococker, but a lot faster and more precise due to it being electronically controlled.

In an impulse, what happens when the trigger is pushed it this:
1) A micro switch is activated which sends an electrical pulse to the circuit board which in turn sends another signal to the solenoid to open/close it's valve.
2) The solenoid valve opens and redirects the air flow to an air cavity behind the ram and the air wants to expand and so it pushes the ram forward. The hammer (the ram is screwed into the ram, so when the ram moves forward, so does the hammer) is connected to the bolt by means of a bolt pin.
3) Then, at exactly the same time since the bolt and hammer are connected (when one moves 1mm, so does the other), as when the bolt is pushing a paintball past the gunsí detents the hammer hits the gunís main valve, opening it which sends a burst of air out to the paintball threw the and into/out the barrel.
4) Then the solenoid (after a set amount of time, normally around 10 milliseconds depending on what the dwell (dwell=how long the hammer holds the main valve open=how much air is put behind the paintball=more or less fps) is set at, redirects the air flow to an air cavity in front of the ram and the hammer is pull back from the main valve (which closes due to a spring which forces it close) and also pulls the bolt back at the same time which lets another ball fall into the breach ready to be fired.

That is how the impulse works.

Here is what and how a tape worm works. Also I added some information about lprs:

Okay, here we go... a tapeworm is a solenoid restrictor. What it does is that it "restricts" are from being sucked away from the solenoid valve (which is what moves the bolt/hammer and makes the gun fire-the solenoid bolt can only do this with sufficient air pressure). What happens, is that when you pressurize your impulse, air fills up the valve cavity and the solenoid cavity (the valve and the solenoid valve are different-the valve puts air into the bolt and eventually get to a paintball, while the solenoid valve is basically, a separate electronic valve that controls the movement of the hammer/bolt/ram). When the impulse is fired, the valve opens and air flows out of it into the bolt and out behind a paintball. When the valve opens though, it sucks air away and out of the solenoid cavity. What the tapeworm does, for 20$, is it restricts air from leaving the solenoid valve cavity, and thus the valve can't suck air away from the solenoid which in turn uses that air to move the bolt/hammer which is how the gun is fired. Then since no air is being sucked away from the solenoid you can lower your operating pressure, which can help to prevent ball chopping a little as well as helping efficiency a bit to. The main advantage is that you can shoot faster strings of paint w/o any shoot down at all, and you can now, with a tapeworm or other form of solenoid restrictor, dry fire you impulse like you would a normal gun (which you cannot normally do).

A VFF (Voodoo Full Flow), a HFV (High Flow Vertical), and a HFA (High Flow Angled) don't do the same thing as a tapeworm, but for 30$ more, they supply the solenoid valve with a consistent uninterrupted supply of air that is at the same pressure as what the air is being regulated at the max-flo (or whatever inline reg you're using).

An LPR supplies the solenoid valve with an uninterrupted supply of air at a lower pressure than that at that gun's valve. Why that is so good (in other words, why is an lpr so good?)? Well, an LPR is the best because since it supplies the solenoid valve with air at a lower pressure than the air at the gun's valve, you can:
1-Use a Higher Input Pressure
2-Use a Lower Solenoid Pressure
3-Use a Lower Dwell
The Higher input pressure is desirable because it will let you decrease your dwell, (letting less air at a higher pressure escape when you fire the gun) which will increase your efficiency.

Now if you read wolverine's faq, you would know all that by now, but by now i have come to expect that not to many people actually read it so, I have given you the dumb weight out. Thanks again wolverine for your faq, you have put a lot of time into it and are continuing to update it so, well, thanks-if it wasn't for your faq I would know squawt about impulses.

Hope this helped anyone who needed help.

*I have an update for my giganta post:

What is the Difference Between a GP valve and a RIP valve?
Well, first off, even though they both are called valves, they do completely different things. The R.I.P. (Radical Intake Profile) replaces the stock main gun's valve and will increase you efficiency and consistency. The GP valve on the other hand is more like a super charged tapeworm-if you don't know what a tapeworm is buy now you hopeless. an normal tapeworm seals the solenoid cavity off from the valve cavity, but leaves a couple little holes for air to pass through, and what that does, as i already said, is that is helps prevent a lot of air being sucked away from the solenoid but still lets air get to the solenoid. The gp valve seals the solenoid cavity off but is has a bigger hole in it that stays open when air is flowing into it. When the gun fires, and the main valve sucks air away from the solenoid, a little ball is suck, by the air, into the hole, sealing it and preventing any air from leaving the solenoid cavity. This is pure genius and is like the ultimate tapeworm. Cool huh?

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Here are some comments made by satisfied questioners:
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"I care, Mike....(dramatic pause)....i care..."-Master_Chadwick
"lol wow mike u really are a G...hahhahhahhahhahhaha
what a pimp " -wanabe TOSA
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
toothpastedog, come to Canada right now.-MBPG
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 12-29-2004 at 08:46 AM.
toothpastedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
Sticky?

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog
Sticky?
Sure. I'll add it to the Ultimate Sticky. Thanks for the helpful information!
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
toothpastedog

thanks for adding it, even though, just like the faq, no one who needs to read it will actually take the time to read it, but oh well, every little bit helps. thanks

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
xX[Empire]Xx
Emperial Army

toothpaste, you suck-up. jk. job well done.
xX[Empire]Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
nos911
Killing Machine

Send a message via AIM to nos911
And I thought I had a lot of spare time...

Last edited by nos911 : 03-21-2004 at 04:27 PM.
nos911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
toothpastedog

i get bored while doing spanish homework so hey, what can i say.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-21-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Halliday
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Halliday Send a message via AIM to Halliday
Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog
thanks for adding it, even though, just like the faq, no one who needs to read it will actually take the time to read it, but oh well, every little bit helps. thanks
I've had my Impy for less than a week and I've read it. I'll need to read it again to understand it.

You name it, I've broken it.

CPPA #582
Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
toothpastedog

do you need me to explain anything else, or explain something more clearly?

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #10
Halliday
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Halliday Send a message via AIM to Halliday
No it's clear, just a lot for my brain at this time

You name it, I've broken it.

CPPA #582
Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
A. Asking for sticky . J/k

B. Same as Halliday I haven't played with mine enough yet...my brain hurts from reading. Maybe I need to go back to school.

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
shortman506

Send a message via AIM to shortman506
all this stuff sounds really complex but its really not. after your gun is set, its set and you dont have to do too many adjustments.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #13
Imagine stinks
SP-Smart Parts-South Park

Send a message via ICQ to Imagine stinks
i have a question for the masta(Toothpastedog)... when you buy an Impulse does it come all ready set up?
Imagine stinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #14
toothpastedog

thanks, it should come adjusted-but you will need to adjust the maxflo pressure to change the gun's velocity. your right shortman506, impulses revolve around a very simplistic design that is very, well, simple and shouldn't require any adjustment unless you buy new internals or a lpr kit-even then, setting the dwell and pressures is easy as....

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #15
toothpastedog

updates the first post to let you know that GP valves and RIP valves are completely different, look for the * at the end of my first post. thanks.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #16
cutter479

Thumbs up

toothpastedog is my hero
cutter479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #17
toothpastedog

back to da top

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 04-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #18
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

Quote:
Originally posted by cutter479
toothpastedog is my hero
that makes two of us lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
SPPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #19
Muskrat

Send a message via AIM to Muskrat
Smile

I think that it would make just a few more than two of us
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #20
toothpastedog

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting