pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
ION vs. IMPULSE

This is a thread comparing a stock Ion to a stock Impulse, and an upgraded Ion to an upgraded or custom Impulse.

First is will list the specifications of both guns, stock:

Ion:
-Maximum ROF, 17bps (limited to 17 by the design of the bolt system, the ion can shoot no faster than 17bps with the stock bolt system).
-Electronically open bolt operated.
-Firing modes: semiautomatic, three-shot burst, rebound, and fully-automatic.
-Adjustable trigger (adjustable pull weight, pretravel, and firing point).
-Break beam eye system.
-One moving part
-MSRP of $300.00
-Efficiency, about 1000 Shots from a 68cubic inch, 4500psi fill.

Impulse (non-vision):
-Maximum ROF, 13.7bps (the rof is capped by the board, with a new board, and proper internals-check upgrade guide-the impulse can shoot well beyond 20bps)(Vision impulses are capped at 13.7bps in vision off mode, and 20bps in vision on mode).
-Electronically open bolt operated.
-Firing modes: semiautomatic only
-Adjustable trigger (newer impulses come with a trigger that can have the trigger pull length adjusted and the pull weight).
-Vision is an extra 100-150$
-Four moving parts (Bolt, Ram, Hammer, and Valve)
-MSRP of $450.00
-Efficiency, about 1250 shots from a 68cubic inch, 4500psi fill.

Upgraded Ion:
Until bolt kits come out for the Ion, the Ion will have a limited rof to around 17bps, and won’t be amazingly efficient. There are new trigger, feed tubes, ball detents, grips, and barrels that are available as aftermarket upgrades for the ion don’t improve the stock parts’ performances they are replacing much because Smart Parts actually did a pretty good job designing the Ion. The only part that you can put on an Ion to improve its performance is a QEV. A QEV installed on the front port of the Ion’s metal receive will increase the gun’s rof slightly, but it is nothing too amazing. Until new bolt kits come out for the Ion, and they eventually will, the gun will have a limited rof to 17bps.

Upgraded Impulse:
The nice thing about Impulses is that since they are based of the basic design of guns like Angels, Intimidators and Vikings, with the right parts, they can perform just as well. See the Upgrade Guide sticky, Internal Weight sticky, Cycle Speed sticky and the LPR stickies (How an LPR Works andDifferent LPRS) for more info on how to get your impulse firing 40bps.

Ion vs. Impulse:
The Ion is a great bargain. At 300$, you get a good eye system, different modes of fire, a more adjustable gun (rof for instance), a fast gun stock, and a smaller and lighter gun. To perform anywhere near as well as an Ion, an Impulse needs a tapeworm (or some sort of solenoid optimizer), a delrin bolt, and a blade trigger. Even then, the Impulse is still quite a poor performer when compared to the Ion, and the Impulse would cost between 450$ and 500$. In a contest between a stock Impulse and stock Ion, the Ion would kick the Impulse’s butt. The only thing is though, once you put a WAS board and a blade trigger in an Impulse, it will perform just as well as any Ion, if not better. Combine that WAS board and trigger with a tapeworm, silk shot ram, and rip valve, and the Impulse will blow the Ion out of the water. But then again, that Impulse would cost between 570$ and 650$, where as the Ion would only cost 300$. If you have money to spend, and are trying to decide between an Ion and an Impulse, get the Impulse, just because it will vastly outperform the Ion in the long run with upgrades.

One last thought though:
Don't get me wrong, as long as the bolt kits that are coming out for the Ion are as good as companies make them out to sounds, the Ion will be just as good as any gun out there. Since there are no bolt kits yet avalible for the Ion though, i would have to say that if you want a high performing gun, and have the money, buy an Impulse. Once bolt kits for the Ion come out, i will change this post accordingly with regards to how well the improve the Ion's performance. Thanks ya'll...

[and yes, i'm from socal ]

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Here are some comments made by satisfied questioners:
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"I care, Mike....(dramatic pause)....i care..."-Master_Chadwick
"lol wow mike u really are a G...hahhahhahhahhahhaha
what a pimp " -wanabe TOSA
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
toothpastedog, come to Canada right now.-MBPG
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 05-05-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
wordf0o
I'm Rich!

Send a message via AIM to wordf0o
Hey, it sounds like my gun! However, mine has every freakin upgrade while I'm gettin offers for $600...

Quote:
Originally posted by senghing27
w0Rd foo'!@!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
CoolT

Nice job

Added to the ultimate sticky. I'm leaving this open for now but I'm going to close it within a week to keep the clutter out, so try to get all your comments and/or editing in.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
TehMarker
Jeux Sans Frontieres

Send a message via AIM to TehMarker Send a message via MSN to TehMarker
Very nice unbiased vs. thread TPD. I'm sick of people saying the ION beats the Impulse all around.
Long live Impulses!

Last edited by TehMarker : 05-05-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Bokuwakakera
the Pain Train

Send a message via AIM to Bokuwakakera
This was needed very much, thanks TPD.
72/45k smartparts tank, with a nitroduck reg and Gray Dye rhino cover
Flame-Milled noid' tray
Strange Bolt, W.A.S board, Tapeworm and a Eggy.

backman of team Cyclone
Check out our forum!
Our Field

myspace is f00r L00serrz!!1!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Team Chokepoint
Exit Wounds @ pbn

Send a message via AIM to Team Chokepoint
Good job, however I don't think you gave the Ion enough credit in terms of upgrade potential. I would imagine that with a new bolt kit the Ion will perform just as well as, say, an upgraded Shocker. In which case the Ion will be a better investment for some people who appreciate its size and weight. At the end your post basically implies that if you want to have a high-performance gun, you shouldn't get the Ion, something that just won't be true if and when better parts come out.

Rockin the Alien Interceptor: Because winning is more fun. Predator - Be the Hunter.

Alien forum - now available on pbr.

Trust +29 / -0
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
TehMarker
Jeux Sans Frontieres

Send a message via AIM to TehMarker Send a message via MSN to TehMarker
The Ion performing as well as an upgraded Shocker? Please.
Someone close this...soon.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
ase
"Paintball" is not a verb

Send a message via AIM to ase
thank you for setting everyone straight about the ion.

upgradeability:

impulse>ion
Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
Quote:
Originally posted by TehMarker
The Ion performing as well as an upgraded Shocker? Please.
Someone close this...soon.
no, with a new bolt kit, as long as the new bolt kits will do what companies say they will do, the ion can be just as good as any other gun. sorry Team Chokepoint, i meant to say that with a new bolt kit, an ion can be just as good as anything else-i'll make the nessisary changes. thanks guys

People: voice your opinions about why an ion is better or worse than an impulse here, as well as you reasons for your opinions. If you don't have any rational reasons, don't voice your opinion, cause an opinion without as reason isn't worth my left big toe's nail...

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 05-06-2005, 01:44 AM   #10
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
Quote:
Originally posted by toothpastedog
an opinion without as reason isn't worth my left big toe's nail...

well i've said it before, i'm gonna say it one more time
$300 ion > $500 impulse
$300 ion < $300 impulse used price
$800 ion < $700 impulse
$800 ion < $500 impulse used price
so basically, the ion starts off better, but is limited to a few key points in it's design, where the impulse can be as good as anything with a little extra $ and effort. at least performance wise, and with the current aftermarket parts. the ion will always be smaller and lighter, but the impulse can be fairly light and perfectly balanced with the right parts and maybe some milling.

my vote goes impulse.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
lewdogg21
Master & Commander

Send a message via AIM to lewdogg21 Send a message via Yahoo to lewdogg21
My question comes due to the near no exposure I have with shockers (I've owned impys and timmys as my electros).

With the ion not having any type of lpr (as far as I know) is this why the bolt kit is so necessary to vastly increase air efficiency and consistency across the chrono?

Since a imp can have a lpr does the edge go to an imp with an lpr (and of course delrin botl) over an ion with a he bolt kit?

My favorite quote ever regarding a paintball gun.
Quote:
this is a killer. it will kill every thing in front of you.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
Team Chokepoint
Exit Wounds @ pbn

Send a message via AIM to Team Chokepoint
Good addition.

Rockin the Alien Interceptor: Because winning is more fun. Predator - Be the Hunter.

Alien forum - now available on pbr.

Trust +29 / -0
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #13
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

well my guess is sp designed it to not require an lpr similar to the shocker and so an lpr won't help very much with the ion, but i could be wrong. but yeah an lpr on an impulse gives it an edge over the ion.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
toothpastedog

Quote:
Originally posted by lewdogg21
My question comes due to the near no exposure I have with shockers (I've owned impys and timmys as my electros).

With the ion not having any type of lpr (as far as I know) is this why the bolt kit is so necessary to vastly increase air efficiency and consistency across the chrono?

Since a imp can have a lpr does the edge go to an imp with an lpr (and of course delrin botl) over an ion with a he bolt kit?
It needs a new bolt kit because the stock kit is extremely inefficient-not inefficient as far as shots per tank are concerned, but inefficient with the air supplied to it to power the gun (it lets a lot of force from the pressurized air go to waste). an lpr on an ion wouldn't do anything, because like a shocker, the gun is designed to have a "low" bolt actuation pressure, but for different reasons, so an lpr wouldn't help at all.

the design of the impulse is absolutely nothing like that of the ion, an ion can be compared more to an automag, with the on/off pin replaced with a solenoid, or a freestyle.

an ion would still be vastly better stock than an impulse with just an lpr kit. the ion is better than an impulse until the impulse gets a new board, or new programing, which will take off the 13.7 cap.

speedy2k4:
nice work, but you might want to add, or maybe i missed it, that you are talking about an ion w/o a new bolt kit.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
toothpastedog

sorry for the double post, but i just wanted to say thanks.

thanks everyone for keeping this thread clean, spam free, sticking to the point, and being thoughtfull. nice work!

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 05-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

well i can't say anything for the new bolt kit, i never saw or used it. but with the same body, they are limited in what design modifications can be done to the bolt kit.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
ratimpybigpimp
rat impulse lover

Send a message via AIM to ratimpybigpimp
Lightbulb

ok. my take on the whole impusle vs. ion stuff is that the impulse is better. Not just casue I own one, it is becasue the impulse is a sturdier gun. The ion just fells cheap and breakable in my hands, compared to the impulses own all, do everything, go anywhere type of body. We dont need to worry about droping out imps, they will never break.

AND also, we get points for originality. The impulse is a proven design that will last awile, while the ion I am sceptical about, with its new solenoid design, "composite polymer" shells, and the reg(after all, its not a maxflo).

Lastly, the imp is better performer in the longrun. After you are done playing with it for maybe a year or two, you will never need to buy a new gun(providing you upgrade along the path of rightousness http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...ostid=2823222/ thx TPD).

And thats my 2 cents
rat jr. imp: (RATJR00415) WAS board(uncapped w/ reflective bolt), Voodo Bolt, vert max-flo(black and red), Dead on bullit drop w/on-off(red), (red q-lock), 10" progressive barrel(red), eclipse blade trigger(red), brass hammer and internals, NDZ maxflo ASA, custom ano(black body, red max-flo knob, red tray, red lpr, red tray), Vert Logic Paintball Angel Frame, Speed 05 Grips.

Nerve may be on the way to join my impulse in the ion killing crusade

http://www.putfile.com/ratimpybigpimp
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #18
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally posted by ratimpybigpimp
ok. my take on the whole impusle vs. ion stuff is that the impulse is better. Not just casue I own one, it is becasue the impulse is a sturdier gun. The ion just fells cheap and breakable in my hands, compared to the impulses own all, do everything, go anywhere type of body. We dont need to worry about droping out imps, they will never break.

the ion is an incredibly sturdy well built gun with the exception of the stock trigger, and the plastic body will actually help durability. alot easier to replace a $20 body than a $150 one, plus anodized aluminum showcases every scratch you have, where plastic/polymer doesn't.

AND also, we get points for originality. The impulse is a proven design that will last awile, while the ion I am sceptical about, with its new solenoid design, "composite polymer" shells, and the reg(after all, its not a maxflo).

well yes the impulse has been proven, but so have blow forward designs like the ion. it is a great design, and effective design, and a reliable design. the solenoid is based on the exact same principle, the only real difference is it is naked and it's coil is exposed. the impulse solenoid has the same stuff, just within a plastic body. also, the ion reg so far has impressed me. not to the level of the old style chunky max flo, but in my experience it is beyond the shocker style max flo.

Lastly, the imp is better performer in the longrun. After you are done playing with it for maybe a year or two, you will never need to buy a new gun(providing you upgrade along the path of rightousness http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...ostid=2823222/ thx TPD).

while i will say a well tuned and upgraded impulse does beat any ion, things may change down the road as new firing chamber configurations and boards are released for the ion. the main thing holding the ion back is it's electronics, and the people who use it.

And thats my 2 cents

and mine also
Old 08-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
Dark Master

Nice follow up Speedy.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #20
ratimpybigpimp
rat impulse lover

Send a message via AIM to ratimpybigpimp
ya, nice follow up, but still I am sceptical about the long term durability of the ion. Impressed u more than the shocker maxflo, has it? Interseting. IMO, the shcoekr maxflo feels like I can snap it in my hands, but I dont think the ion reg will do a better job. I still have yet to test a shocker maxflo(I have already tested an ion reg, and are testing a shocker one this weekend) and until then, im gonna have to go with the shocker maxflo over the ions reg, IMO.

About the ions solenoid, it is naked(as you sated). Thats a bad thing and a big difference between the reliability of the ion. That means that accedental damage is more likely in the ion. Damage that solenoid in any way, you out around 75 bucks for a new one. Not something I want too happen. The imp on the other hand, has a plastic casing around the solenoid, making accedental damage a much less threat to your noid.
rat jr. imp: (RATJR00415) WAS board(uncapped w/ reflective bolt), Voodo Bolt, vert max-flo(black and red), Dead on bullit drop w/on-off(red), (red q-lock), 10" progressive barrel(red), eclipse blade trigger(red), brass hammer and internals, NDZ maxflo ASA, custom ano(black body, red max-flo knob, red tray, red lpr, red tray), Vert Logic Paintball Angel Frame, Speed 05 Grips.

Nerve may be on the way to join my impulse in the ion killing crusade

http://www.putfile.com/ratimpybigpimp
Closed Thread