pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > General Forums > New Paintballers

Old 01-05-2003, 03:40 AM   #1
Flanders
KAPP II

guidlines for OFF the feild

well there are alot of posts out there on what to do when ur on the Field

and after much deliberation i decided to post this here

here are a few basic things that should be remembered when ur done playing for a short brake or just in between games, or when ur rolling up in your car.
  • Don't sit next to the "usual guys" or the "big shots" unless you know them, or are with some one who does
  • If there are said people, ad u wish to become apart of their group or would like to seem like it, sit some where close, a table or 2 away, but close enough u Can here whats going on
  • If you're still an über nube i recommend staying closer to the booth or sing in area, preferably closer to the pro shop if there is one.
  • ok now whats out on ur table, if you have rather large tables keep room for other people to hop on, make new friends that way
  • If you have a small table, keep off all non essential items, if you have a bag with just gear like pants and shoes and ur mask keep it under or close to the table
  • now what do you do while waiting to chrono or while walking on the Field, if your not with any one listen to what people are talking about see if you can but in on any conversations, although not a very well looked upon thing, in a share blood and tears environment (a buddy buddy thing if you will) camaraderie can be struck up quickly and if it turns out the people ur with are annoying as all hell, u can just stop talking to them, u struck up one or 2 chats nothing to binding.
  • If your with people that u know Friends and such, hang with them but often times hooking up with another small group of people ur own size (amount of people) can help in a game figure out what ur gonna do on the Field etc. but thats for another post
  • if by chance u get shot on the Field and ur watching from the sidelines, talk to some one from the other team find out what went down with them, if possible watch the game specifically in the area that u were in when u got out or the area you were headed to, watch to see what other people do
  • ask the refs, if they're willing, to tell you what they saw u doing wrong or what tips they give for that area. learning how the people who run the field, play the field, can help you better understand what you have to do
  • when you're walking off the feildwalk with ur buddies u made on teh feild, se what happened to them and what they saw happen to you
  • when u set ur stuff back at the table, i recommend taking ur mask off completely shows a sign of openness
  • don't walk around with your stuff, once again this shows more of a sign of openness and lets people know your not in a rush you have time to chat.
  • ok when ur loading back up, i can't stress this enough don't lend paint to random people, they are like seagulls they come back again and again.
  • walk around and find the people u were playing with see what's up with them what they are planning for next game
  • try and make friends with the owners/refs/who ever not to get free stuff or any thing, but the owner and refs know the regulars and when u know the regulars u know what to play adn who to watch for
  • over all be nice to all the people u can, paintball is a game, and a game is about fun, not just your fun but every ones fun
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Magnus55
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnus55 Send a message via Yahoo to Magnus55
Very good tips Flanders! A few things I thought of:

~ For the more experienced players out there, adopt a newbie or a newbie clique. If you see one or even a small group of newbies decked out in camo using rental tippmanns looking a bit lost and confused, sit next to them. You be the instigator of conversation with them. (Remember all it takes is one friendly veteran to make lifetime players out of newbies). Talk them up if you have to. Tell them about your first time. Share funny stories with them about newbie mistakes you made your first few times around to get them at ease.
~But on a side note: If it's a newbie group of five or more, you might want to let them handle themselves. As numbers have it, past the point of five newbies are no longer a group, but a pack, and their smack talking attention loving show-boat leader is probably gonna give you grief you don't need. If they talk to you, then fine. If not, then they can learn the ropes on their own.
~Like Flanders said, sharing paint is a big No-No with strangers. Many people are quick to take advantage of that generosity, but it is perfectly fine to share tools and even sometimes O-rings with other players. Just make sure they don't walk off with your stuff.
~If people ask about your gun, explain. You bought it, you brought it, you should at least know something about it. If people have questions, (I'm mainly referring to newbies) then give them answers. We all know how rude that cocky rich kid with the angel who won't even give you the time of day is right? Well to newbies anyone with a gun other than a rental is a pro. If they have questions, give them answers. Chances are they might base their first gun purchase partially by what you said.
~If you see parents in the mix, (the ones with the camo wearing rental kids) go and talk to them. (BUT, if you're an idiot, then don't! Just shut up and keep to yourself ) However, if you are mature enough (and being articulate doesn't hurt), go ahead and strike up a conversation with the parents about paintball. They'll be impressed by your maturity and the fact that you cared enough to approach them, and like their kids, they will probably listen to what you say just because you own your own gun. But remember, what you say can make or break their impression of the sport, so make sure you don't end up sounding like an idiot. Explain to them about safety, about our injury rate compared to all the other sports, about how long you've been playing, about the camaraderie involved in paintball, about teamwork; all that good stuff parents like to hear. Leave costs, welts, and bunkering out of the conversation.

That's it for now. Once again, great idea Flanders! Everyone else, keep em coming!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 AM   #3
LinkIncubus1
The Cleaner

hehe...adopt-a-noob
--Warped Sportz Dark Bolt
--Black Ergo Regulator
--Black WGP 15° ASA
--WGP Hinge
--J&J 2-Piece Barrel
--Belsales Roller Sear
--Black Shocktech Long Drop
--Clear eVLution II
LinkIncubus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

I like this post. Stickied.

I might reitereate that most experienced players are more than happy to help you, teach you, and so on if you catch one of them by himself for a moment and ask about his equipment or compliment it, mention a good shot he made or something, and ask about things you as a new player should try to do to improve your game, and what you can do with your current equipment. Please use discretion when doing this, the guy smoking something that smells something like a cigarrette and a fart and swearing out of his mind may not be the freindliest player on earth....but, someone who's been in major tournaments and so on and so forth tends to be a pretty decent guy to talk to if he's there for a day of rec ball.
There's a guy at my field that played with Team Extreme who is one of the coolest guys I know, and taught me a bunch of stuff that definatly improved my game. He's freindly, helpful, and doesn't at all fit the profile that so many people give "pro players". He plays clean, keeps his swears to himself and is a generally nice guy and a GREAT player.
The one time I managed to hit him, BTW, it bounced.

"Accuracy by volume is still accuracy nonetheless."
Ebonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
Flanders
KAPP II

yea, same thing happened with me but the other way around with angel fragoza, he one balled me oin the pack it bounced and like 3 people shot him, he took out most of our team though...true story

thats the thing about paintball, every one is nice and is willing to help ya out and share knowledge, just not paint

oh and here are a few more points
  • When walking off the field, don't complain and wine about that ref who made a shotty call, or brag how u took out the whole left side with your buddy, when every one knows it's not true.
  • Those last things are big big no-no's never complain in a serious manner unless it's a serious topic and never brag unless ur being funny.
  • If you see me or ebon on the Field give of lots and lots of paint...no not really remember giving out paint unless u have alot of extra, u know ur gonna get it back, and it's an emergency on the Field is a big big NO-NO
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Old 01-07-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Quote:
Originally posted by LinkIncubus1
hehe...adopt-a-noob

That's is a great thing to do. Everytime I go to the field I pick a noob or 2 and let them chill with me. I think it helps there experience in paintball and makes them want to come back.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #7
Cadet2005

Be careful adopting a newbie...there were a few guys at my field who did that and began giving me pointers, problem is I didn't care about using them for my game, I realized their moves and was prepared for them...I know, I am a little devil but I also started out just outlaw ball on a pump so I wasn't a pure newbie I guess you could say...

But on a lighter note, at my field the rentals MUST use field paint but if you own you do not. I carry three pods (sometimes two if my shoulder is in good enough shape for the remote...don't ask) out in the field but I never end up using them so I usually buy five hundred rounds of field paint and if a newbie runs or is running low on ammo in the field, I make a deal with him: he works with me, LISTENS to me, and he gets one hundred rounds. It's a good way to earn a reputation as a leader as well and often his little cluster of friends soon become aides for my plans and suddenly I go from a lone wolf to a squad lead...

Another thing is watch your appearance. I have a 98C souped up to resemble the M4 assault carbine so sometimes kids and parents are a little intimidated. This might not apply to tourney players but guys into the whole warfare play (I just prefer a rifle type feel, didn't have to be the M4) should pay attention. If a parent seems uneasy, take your marker over, on safe and pointed to the ground and offer to explain to them why it is not a danger. For me, I often give them my credentials (quartermaster and armorer as well as soldier) and then ask them to allow me to play one game with them watching, I even loan them a spare mask so they can see me play. Most feel comfortable then but if they do not, I always carry my stock barrel so I can replace the handguard and the carrying handle and go back to a nearly stock setup. My theory is if somebody isn't having fun then I am failing to do my part. This goes for experienced players too (not targeting anybody because I don't really know) but if you loan your marker to someone to look at or borrow one, make sure you don't sight down it with the barrel going over somebody...I used to call it a laser check, imagine there is a laser on the end of the barrel and if it passes over somebody that you don't intend to shoot then you screwed up.

Another thing to consider is if a newbie wants to fire your gun to see it (a newbie with a rental) let him get a shot or two off at the firing range or something...I get a lot of guys asking to shoot my gun simply because it looks so different (though it is truly just a 98C) and I will let them get one or two shots off and go over the advantages of it. I have seen a few guys who came out with 98s and a few who come out with others such as Spyders and so on and they tell me they just didn't like the feel and I always say "that's cool, to each his own".

Another thing, and this comes from MY personal experience so I apologize if this seems dumb, don't berrate other players for what they wear. My friend and I come out in full BDU outfits (jacket, trousers, and OD undershirt) simply because of durability. Don't also assume somebody doesn't know a thing about paintball because of his marker (there are a few experienced cocky rich kids who can testify that they shouldn't have assumed I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn). Like I said before, to each his own.

Okay, my last thing, sorry so long: DON'T TALK TRASH. I usually keep my trash talking to myself unless amongst friends. If you are talking trash and somebody by happenstance gets you out then you look like an arrogant fool even if the hit is only by chance. I learned this one the hard way when I first started in outlaw ball but since I often will just give a smile and a look that cannot be seen beneath my tinted lens. By not saying anything I can always say "good shot", but if I say something and screw up what can I say? See my point?

Good thread Flanders.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
Cadet2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 PM   #8
Flanders
KAPP II

thanks man

my other one sucked
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Old 01-07-2003, 10:47 PM   #9
Cadet2005

One other thing I remembered while talking to a friend of mine: when you give orders, don't assume they'l be carried out and when they aren't just berrate the kid or ignore him. Always make sure they follow the order, or give them encouragement, sometimes a little hot dogging goes a long way to making the difference between a newbie hunkering down and advancing up with trust in your judgment. I made that mistake a weekend ago, I went to flank left and told the newbs to follow me but when the balls started flying, they turned tail and left me dangling in the wind. I heard some guys yellin' and screamin' at the same newbies afterwards for doing the same thing and I went up, told the guy to sit down and check his attitude at the door and told the newbies that by running away they could have been hit without firing a shot, which sucks worse than just getting hit. Two of them are hooked for life on paintball and a third is well on his way courtesy of a little sportsmanship...a lot of guys exhibit it, but if you are so wrapped up in winning that you forget basic ethics, I think that you oughta stay away.

EDITOR'S NOTE: While I told them of the pain of getting hit while not firing a shot, I took some of the aforementioned advice in this thread and relayed my own personal experiences...we talked for ten minutes and my flank was secure from that point on.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
Old 01-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #10
Flanders
KAPP II

ok cadet thats more of an on feild planning thing

and giving "orders" rarly works

work out some type of plan or stratag orders in paintball aint so usefull things change so quick it can screw up a plan like nothing else
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Old 01-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #11
Cadet2005

I was more or less emphasizing the berrating afterwards and strategies and tactics are not useless unless they lack what is called "wiggle room"...take for example, Operation: Market-Garden in Eindhoven, Arnhem, and Nijmegen during September 1944, no wiggle room equals no success. When I do a plan, I improvise as we go along with a preset agenda that is a basic outlay, the specifics fall into play later. Perhaps that is something to consider off the field: look at your opposition if you can and study them and listen to them...if their egos are high they will be aggressive. If they are seemingly disorganized, prepare to have to root them out like Japanese soldiers out of the caves on Saipan.

And Flanders, let me know when you find a military tactic or strategy that does not go to crap the moment initial contact is made...lol, to save you time, you won't. I don't mean that as a flame, just reminding you that the crap in Hollywood isn't what strategy and planning is all about. Paintball is actually rather slow when it comes to things changing in my opinion...a lot easier to change plans when you everything is being done at about 1200 feet per second slower than the real thing with fewer limitations.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #12
Flanders
KAPP II

there is no such thing as military tactics

there is stratagy and philosphy

philosphy holds true undieing

stratagy is ment for over whelming odds in your favor, or in the favor of the stratagy

tactics are not spicificly military in any sense they are based off movement

ou can use the same tacitics in fishing but yes your right about that wiggle room is inportant

and speaking of which never lead into a disccussion with ne one else by complaining about what happened you demean yourself as well as make your self look like you have nothing better to do then complain.

and id apreciate if we can stay off the tactics topic. although you do have very good insight cadet
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Old 01-26-2003, 07:31 AM   #13
tonysk83
TURAMBAR IS A BABY WAHHHH

Send a message via AIM to tonysk83
Quote:
Originally posted by Magnus55
(Remember all it takes is one friendly veteran to make lifetime players out of newbies)
thats the truest statement in this thread my first time i was out it was fun but nothing excity, then a son and dad with angels started talkign to me, hanging with me and i had a good time with someone telling me the right moves to make, now i have been playing for a year and a half and i love every moment of it
Old 01-27-2003, 08:22 PM   #14
Flanders
KAPP II

excity?

but yea very true great fun huh
(415)-453-5271
MON-FRI 12-7 SAT,SUN 9-5
Old 02-27-2003, 05:54 PM   #15
Mayhem Racing

great stuff,

i will admit, im a newbie. I have a college degree and know NOTHING about paintball. whats your point mayhem, well my point is, that just because im not a pimplyfaced teen ager, doesnt mean i know what the hell im doing out there.

let me ask, when on a field, is it proper for someont to "take charge" and "initiate a plan of attack?" i mean i dont figure its an all out free-for-all, but how do you elect your team "leader?"

once again, im new! but you guys are a great help and resource, and the game wont grow and live without you guys

No gun as of yet, still shopping!

"I'm new, I'm newwwwwwww" -Joe Dirt
Mayhem Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #16
Ebonclaw
Registered Member

Your job is to do what needs to be done. If you can't do it, let someone know what needs to be done. If someone tells you to move, provide cover, whatever, do it. If you tell someone the same, they'll do it. And please, for the love of God, don't sit there an be quiet! Communicate at all times, I don't care if you're talking about your grandmother, your gun should be firing or your mouth should be running or both.
Generally in speedball for rec games, there is no "leader"...even in tourny play, the captain does the same as the rest of the players. Everyone gives and takes orders freely. The captain of a team may draw up code words, and a main attack plan, for say, a three man format on a certain field, and players stick to it until something happens when they have to change and adapt, but for rec-ball where you show up and get thrown on a team, if the others are experienced, tell them what you need. Cover fire while you move? Cover fire while you reload? Information? You can generally count on an expereinced player to provide what you're asking, but as for a newbie, you might find 1 in 4 times he'll give you cover fire. Don't count on newbies. And if someone tells you to give cover fire, and you can't, TELL them so they don't go making the move without your cover. If you can, they'll call for cover fire and you start blasting away and yell at them to GO! You're covered!
Basically, figure out what needs to be done, communicate what needs to be done, and DO what needs to be done. If it means telling someone to move while you cover, fine, if it means you making a quick move with no cover, fine, if it means you taking orders, fine. Everyone is equal in the chain of command on the speedball field.

"Accuracy by volume is still accuracy nonetheless."
Ebonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:05 AM   #17
MaLfUnCtIoN

Adopt a newb is import and a good idea. my cousin walked up to some very regular and very experienced players in the staging area, asked for some help on his rental gun or game or something sounding like that, and they totally cussed him out and laughed at him. Had they believed in helping newbs they should have helped him. I am not a hugely experienced player myself but when someone asks me a question and I know the answer or can help them I do. Just because you have more experience than someon isn't a good reason to laugh at them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow221
You officially rule.
MaLfUnCtIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:38 AM   #18
Mrfxiitxx

Send a message via ICQ to Mrfxiitxx
The adopt a newbie thing I think is a great idea I kind of did it half heartedly last year, helped people out when they were obviously having problems etc.. This year I probably go try that its a great idea.

The biggest thing I find that helps people is if you just take 5 minutes before the game starts while everyones getting organized and show everyone how you should come out of bunkers and how to use them. I see so many rental players standing behind a bunker thats waist high and exposing their whole upper body for easy shots.

Spending a minute or two just making sure every place is covered and that you dont have 10 people out of a 12 man group going to the same spot helps. I try to be sort of a leader on woods fields, make sure people know where they are going and remind them to communicate.

Just avoid the people who dont seem to care what you say to them. I was helping one guy fix his JT 3.0 that was broken and I told him he need to oil it before reasembling it and when I explained to him it would destroy the o-rings and not work properly if he didnt he was like "oh well I worry about it when it happens" he just truely didnt care if he broke his marker and if it did he would probably just junk it.

Mr.Fixitx
Mrfxiitxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:49 AM   #19
FallNAngel

Send a message via AIM to FallNAngel
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrfxiitxx
Just avoid the people who dont seem to care what you say to them. I was helping one guy fix his JT 3.0 that was broken and I told him he need to oil it before reasembling it and when I explained to him it would destroy the o-rings and not work properly if he didnt he was like "oh well I worry about it when it happens" he just truely didnt care if he broke his marker and if it did he would probably just junk it.
At that point, I'd just stop whatever I was doing on his marker and hand it back to him and say "it happened". If they don't want to put the effort in to work with me, I'm not gonna put the effort in to helping them either.

I personally don't have a problem helping new people out, but I'm not going to do just that. They have to help themselves. If all they do is constantly come to me to ask questions w/o trying to figure something out on their own or use some common sense, then I'm not helping them.
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote