pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Indian Creek Designs

Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
ccrnnr9

Send a message via AIM to ccrnnr9
The "true" BKO FAQ...Please read before posting BKO questions!

I have compiled this as an FAQ that should answer all of the questions on the BKO. Instead of having to go through 9pages of useless crap like that other "FAQ", I think this would be better. Correct me if Im wrong! (Please do not post any questions here, otherwise it will just end up like the other "faq"...I will update it with some more info asap.) Compliments are welcome!...

Who is the BKO made by, and what is the company's homepage?
The BKO is made by ICD (Indian Creek Designs). There website is http://www.icdpaintball.com

What does BKO stand for?
So far the unofficial say is that BKO satnds for "Bushmaster Knock-Off", but that is still unconfirmed by ICD.

Where can I buy a BKO?
The best places to buy the BKO are from places like paintballgear.com, rockymountainsport.com, 888paintball.com, countypaintball.com, or if you dont mind paying a little extra cash for less of a wait, directly from ICD.

What are the advantages of the BKO compared to other electro guns in its price range?
The BKO is so far the only "true" electro pneumatic gun in its price range. As ICD says "It is not another useless sear-tripper".

What types of upgrades do I NEED to buy for my BKO?
There are not really any upgrades that are a true necesity, but the stock barrel is definately not the highest of quality. Most people suggest buying a drop forward, cheap/nice barrel, and a new regulator for the BKO.

I have heard that there are many different versions of the BKO, is this true?
Actually no, this is a generic term that was applied to variations in the marker since its inception. There are five major areas of difference:
1) The high pressure regulator – On the first batch of BKO’s to be released, those without serial numbers, there were several that had regs that did not perform well with high pressure output tanks (those set at 800 to 850 psi). This however was remedied by a quick change of the plunger in the stock HPR and you were back playing again. This has been remedied on all markers since and is no longer and issue.
2) The Chip – The first batch also had some markers that contained a chip that was capped at 10 bps. These chips did not outlast the per-serial number BKO’s and some of these were released with the 14.9 bps chip. Newer variations of the BKO have been said to go up to 22 bps but you will not find a new BKO slower than 14.9bps. The older markers can be made to fire UL bps with the chaos chip. Fortunately, Defiance has announced that there are chaos chips available for the “2K3” style chip as well.
3) The ball detent – The earlier BKO’s had cocker style detents. These were replaces by an o-ring style detent and were one of the fist noticeable differences associated with the “2K3” title. The chip was too considered “2K3.”
4) The Trigger frame – The “2k3” also have a newer grip frame. It is rounder in the back thus fitting the palm better for some and remedied the issue of trigger slop in the previous frame. It cannot however take aftermarket triggers such as the vapor trigger. The previous frame could take this upgrade.
5) The milling – Simply a cosmetic difference. The first design released in bulk was a “expanding oval” milling. Later there was the diamond-shaped milling pattern. There is said to be a third patter, but I have yet to see it.
- Now here is the thing that makes them more variations than model designations: it is possible to get an oval milled marker with the 14.9 bps chip and yet have the newer style grip frame. Don’t let this scare you off though. There are no more of the faulty regs; none of the chips slower than 14.9 bps, and hard pressed to find one with the cocker-style detent (which is unfortunate in my humble opinion). The grip frames have also made the change completely but a few still can find the older grip frame. As for the milling just call the place where you are buying and check.
~ S.A.B.O.

I have heard that the BKO's have problems with the regulators not being able to handle HPA tanks, is this true?
The original BKO's regulators did have problems with handling outputs from tanks over about 500psi. The regs have now been fixed, and that problem no longer occurs, unless you get a used BKO that is a "pre-serial #" BKO.

Is the stock ball detent bad, if so, can it be replaced?
Some people had trouble with the ball detents on the original "pre-serial#" BKO's not stopping double laoding. This was easily fixed by purchasing a cocker detent. On the current 2k3 BKOs, the detent is not replaceable. It is an o-ring detent, and has not had too many problems come up so far. You may want to stay away from "force fed" loaders like the HALO B and the Evolution2 on the o-ring detent BKO's because they are not as strong, and balls could be forced past the detent, and thus double loading could occur.

What barrel threads do BKO's have?
BKO's come with ICD threads (same as the bustmaster) from the factory. If you order direct from ICD, you can request a BKO with cocker threads. It is an extra 70$, but it can be worth it if you have a colection of cocker barrels already. The Murder Inc. BKO's come stock with cocker threads.

Can BKO's run on CO2?
Most people say that BKO's and many other electro-pneumatics cannot run on co2. This is one of the biggest misconceptions in paintball. For a guide on how to properly set up a BKO for co2, got to www.obdo.net and look for the instructions on how to set a Bushmaster up for co2 use (it is the same for a BKO).

What is the difference between the BKO and the Bushmasters/Defiants?
The BKO's use a 2-way solenoid while the Bushmasters/Defiants use a 4-way solenoid. The 4-way solenoid uses air to move the bolt forward and backwards, while the 2-way uses a spring to return the bolt the the cocker position. The 2-way solenoid does allow for better efficiency of the gun, but cannot sustain heavy ROF's (rate of fire). The 2-way soleniod is said to be capable of no more than 17bps.

What is the HPR?
HPR stands for High Pressure Regulator. The HPR is what looks like a grip on the gun. It is used toregulate the pressure of the gun down to arounf 175-215psi. This air is then moved to the LPR for further regulating.

What is the LPR?
LPR stands for Low Pressure Regulator. The LPR takes takes the pressure given from the HPR and regulates it down to around 60-90 psi, so it is suitable to go to the solenoid.

Out of the package, what does the BKO come with?
The BKO comes with a manual, a 90* macroline fitting on the stock regulator, and a peice of macroline about 5inches long. It does not come with a drop forward, CA, any tools, etc.

Is there any type of schematic for the BKO, so I can see what the internals look like?
Yes, I have attached a link below:
www.emrheadhunters.com/bko_pics.html <http://www.emrheadhunters.com/bko_pics.html>

What type of maintanence does the BKO require, and is it reliable?
The BKO requires almost no maintenence. Take note: DO NOT OIL, LUBE, WET, ETC. THE BOLT! It is made of derlin. If you use any type of oil or lube, it will cause the bolt to swell and become ruined. Make sure to take the bolt out of the top chamber and run a squegee through in the rare event of a ball break (NOTE: The bolt pin must be replaced in the bolt as it came out. Make sure the pin is locked into the hammer before reusing the gun. See the BKO manual for a diagram.) You may need to lube the stock hammer housing and valve pin after about 5uses or 7000 shots, whichever comes first. To access these areas of the gun, please email me for details!

How many shots can I get off of each size nitro tank? What about a 20oz co2 tank?
I think the best way to estimate shots per tank is to take the amount of Cubic Inches times the 10 for a 3000psi tank or 15 for a 4500psi tank. For example, with a 68/4500 tank, you should expect around 1020 shots per full fill. Keep in mind, this is the general rule for all guns and tanks. For the BKO, I would expect a little more than that amount per fill. I could get about 1250 shots with my 68/4500 on my old BKO. Now, on the other hand, a matrix might get less than that stock, because they tend to be gas hogs.
For a 20oz co2 tank, I would expect close to 1000-1200 shots per fill. NEVER USE UN-ANTISIPHONED CO2 TANKS ON ANY ELECTRO PNEUMATIC GUN!!!

Does the BKO have multiple firing modes?
No, it is a semi only board. You can buy and install aftermarket chips like the chaos and tantrum to allow MOF though.

Does the stock trigger have "slop"?
Yes, this is favored by many players, because it allows them to tap the trigger from the side and attain great ROF's. You can order directly from ICD and ask for a non-slop trigger. The vapor trigger and razor trigger are also a way to eliminate trigger slop.

Are there any "custom" BKO's on the market?
Yes, Murder Inc. makes a BKO with new milling and dust anno. It is purely cosmetic custom. No real preformance upgrades are added except that it has cocker barrel threading.

What types of upgrades can the BKO take?
The BKO takes most all of the upgrades a B2k/Defiant would take except for LPR upgrades, and the BKO does not need a regulator asa.

What are the best places to buy BKO upgrades?
Tantrumpaintball.com and vaporworks.net offer almost all of your preformance upgrade needs barrels, hoppers, and air systems. Check them out!

Member #1260 of CPPA

Primary Pump:
I call her Felicity
Green VSC Phantom w/ clear hardware, 10rd feed tube & 11in barrel

Thanks to Mike @ CCI & Dan @ Bunkerboyz.com

Last edited by ccrnnr9 : 04-26-2003 at 11:46 AM.
ccrnnr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #2
Killer Kat
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Killer Kat
The Deal

ccrnnr9, Super! You did an excellent job!
So here is the deal, if you have any questions pm him and he will add them to this thread. Any questions that are posted within this thread will be deleted by Simon or myself (on or even before ccrnnr9 gets a chance to answer them) without hesitation.

So let's keep it clean and running lean!
Old 04-25-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
ccrnnr9

Send a message via AIM to ccrnnr9
FAQ (pg.2)

How do I adjust the velocity, and get the gun working at the pressure I want it to?
First of all, turn your High Pressure Regulator (HPR) up to about 200psi (you will probably need to experiment around with what pressures to use on your BKO, because all BKOs are different. I would not recomend any pressure above 240psi, or below 140psi). Once you guage reads your desired pressure, now you must move to your Low Pressure Regulator (LPR) and you must screw the little screw on the bottom of the LPR in, until you hear a small amount of hissing or leaking of air from the gun. From that point turn the LPR out about 1/4 turn and you should be running at about 275fps. You may need to do a small amount of adjusting with the HPR or LPR to get different velocities.

Where can I go to get parts fixed or to have upgrades installed?
The best places to go are as followed:
Vapor Works: www.vaporworks.net They do an awesome job for great upgrades for both the BKO and B2k3. They have many preformance parts that they can install onto your gun if you send it to them. They are also an ICD factory certified gun techs. You can send your gun to them to have other parts installed or fixed.

Shoot Paint: www.shootpaint.com Shootpaint is a member on both pbreview.com and pbnation.com he is a great guy, and his store offers great prices on both ICD guns and upgrades made for their guns. I also believe that they will install parts on guns for a small service charge.

Tantrum Paintball: www.tantrumpaintball.com Tank is a great guy, and the maker of another FAQ website for the Bushmasters and BKOs (www.obdo.net). His site offers the best variety of upgrade parts for ICD markers at great prices.

ICD: www.icdpaintball.com Of course we cannot forget about ICD themselves. They are probably the best place to send back to, because they will always have parts in stock and ready to go. I have heard complaints of slow service, but good service never the less.

What is the best hopper for the BKO? Is there anybody that has a review on how each works on the BKO?
Yes, Impya did a pretty good review here:
http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showt...hreadid=131446

What is trigger bounce, and can it occur on the BKO? If it can, how can I fix it?
Trigger Bounce - Occurs when the trigger does not acheive a minimal distance from the microswitch thus allowing the vibration from the previous shot to cause the swith to activate again until the distance is acheived.
~SABO

Greg from ICD also commented saying that if you send your BKO to ICD, they can fix the software problem. None of the newer BKOs should have this problem anymore. You can also try to adjust the set screws so that the microswitch will not be hit multiple times in the time span of a second. It may take some work and tinkering, but it can happen.

What threads are on the two screw holes on the bottom of the trigger frame?
10/32" x 3/4"
~Jwong

I hope this FAQ is very helpful! If you have any questions, or see something here that needs to be changed or added, PM me. I would also like to thanks Jwong, SABO, and GregICD for some help with this FAQ along the way.

Member #1260 of CPPA

Primary Pump:
I call her Felicity
Green VSC Phantom w/ clear hardware, 10rd feed tube & 11in barrel

Thanks to Mike @ CCI & Dan @ Bunkerboyz.com

Last edited by ccrnnr9 : 05-21-2003 at 06:50 PM.
ccrnnr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
Rich4444
Team Blood ~ WI

Thumbs up Cool!!!

Some Handy Links to have

Indian Creek Design's Support Page (B2K diagram too) This is a good support page you should read if your having problems, like leaks, ball chopping, or etc. Check out ICD's suggestions first!!

My BKO with good disassembly Because I've only seen one good BKO disassemble post (in this thread up top matter of fact), I wanted to have a disassembly for myself for my gun, and thought I'd post the results so others could benefit from it.

HPR & LPR cleaning An additional disassembly pics for the HPR and LPR so you can feel comfortable cleaning them further than my disassembly picture.

How and When to Clean your BKO thread A handy thread....

Set your Velocity - see Shootpaints replies... awesome thread A great gun adjustment page if you really want to fine tune your HPR and LPR settings!! Thanks Shootpaint!!

==========================================
GUN UPGRADE LINKS
==========================================
Please note, after taking a poll here of 10 replies, only 20% are using the proper 400psi input into a BKO to start with, so some of the benefit over stock parts could be due to that initial input pressure issue!!

The prices I list are ONLY for convenience, and are as of 10/29/2003 ~~ they will change over time I'm sure!!

Shootpaint!!!
Shootpaint has a few different upgrades available including a vapor valve (max flow) that utilizes air better, and the SP mod that is a mechanical anti-chop mod. Check out his site!
~~ The Vapor Valve, replaces stock valve/cup seal. ($34.95)

Mitey Max for BKO This has a picture and a place to order the BKO Mitey Max Volumizer. The volumizer is a part that stores post-regulated air in a higher quantity, to avoid your gun "dropping off" as you speed up in your rate of fire. You can look at it like this: it is sort of a mini version of those big tanks that Fields use it keep pressure available for filling tanks so the compressor doesnt have to run as offen. Likewise, this keeps your guns firing pressure more stable.

The aka site only shows the autococker version, so its nice to see what the BKO version looks like, and this is a site you can order from, since AKA only lists airsmiths you can buy the part from and doesnt ship directly. I ordered my Mitey Max from here, and had it about 2 weeks later or so. This part replaces the small little cup shape cap below the barrel on a stock BKO.
~ The Mitey Max Volumizer ($29.00)

AKA products (mitey max, tornado valve, sidewinder regulator) This is the actual AKA site for the above products. They do not ship directly, but its nice to visit the manufacturer, and there is a list of their retailers by state.

~ The Sidewinder High Pressure Regulator (replaces stock HPR).

Zenitram ASA - This part replaces the front block on the BKO so that you can hook in a new LPR like the Micro Rock below.
~ The Zenitram ASA ($37.50)

"Micro Rock" / Palmer Rock LPR - This is a new Low Pressure Regulator to replace the stock LPR. Note, you'll need a new "front block" (sometimes called an asa) as listed above (the Zenitram for example).
~ This is the Micro Rock ($47.50)

Hope this thread helps some!!! Thanks all!
------------markers--------------
2004 Black Epic by I.C.E.
2003 Green BKO by I.C.D.

Last edited by Rich4444 : 10-29-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Rich4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
F.O.D.
www.icd-owners.com

ICD owners group: www.icd-owners.com

Last edited by F.O.D. : 09-26-2003 at 08:34 PM.
F.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
douwannaplaypb
Frontman/Team SCORGASAM

What are the differences between the 2003 bko and the regular bko? which is better?
douwannaplaypb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
F.O.D.
www.icd-owners.com

are you retarded? why dont you try looking at the very first post
Old 10-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
HobbesTZ

Talking

Nobody listen to Cap'n Fuzzmaestro, he is a nerd.
HobbesTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #9
Rich4444
Team Blood ~ WI

Exclamation How do I hook up my tank!!!!

Ok, since I was mad when I got my BKO because I was all excited and couldnt just gas up the gun and pop a few off, I figured I should put this post here for BKO Newbies!!!

When you get your BKO, they do NOT included an ASA (Air System Adapter), also called a "Bottom line". There is a picture to what that typically refers to just a little down in this post. There are different places on a gun to have an ASA, but typically, this is what it means. You can see, this part CAN screw right to the bottom of your guns handle in the screw holes, but many people will want a "Drop Forward" which is just a piece of metal that is sort of like an extension on the handle, that lets the tank be carried lower, and balance the gun differently.

Note, there are handles that have in-line screw holes that the below ASA would fit, and then handles with offset screw holes (like a spyder for instance) that would need the holes in a little different spot, diagnol, to fit properly. The BKO uses inline holes.

Here is a link to an ASA at paintballgear.com: Click Here!!

You WILL have the macroline hose, and the High Pressure Regulators Elbow will be installed, and you WILL have the Elbow to put into the ASA/Bottom Line. You will need to get some of that Teflon tape threading stuff that keeps it in place (should be available at any plumbing store)

Ok, so buy that ASA right away to, and then you can have it by the time you get your gun, as ICD BKO's are on backorder all the time now anyway LOL.

Good luck!
------------markers--------------
2004 Black Epic by I.C.E.
2003 Green BKO by I.C.D.

Last edited by Rich4444 : 11-11-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Rich4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #10
JustBunkered
tsu / b unit

Send a message via AIM to JustBunkered
RE: ccrnnr9

The first thing you posted was about adjusting the velocity. Do you think that that is why my gun is messed up and if so do you think i messed up anything internally, or can i easily fix it by adjusting the velocity? If anyone who looks at this and does not know what im talking about refer to the post entitled Please Help Me! Thanks.
JustBunkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
nitelife

Send a message via AIM to nitelife
just thought you might want to know about adjusting the regs on the BKO, i called ICD today and they told me that the instructions in the manual are WRONG, the guy told me to adjust the LPR screw out until there were about 2 threads sticking out, he said that this would reset the LPR, he said to then adjust the HPR to desired pressure, then to adjust the LPR according to velocity, thought you might want to add it or keep it in mind

Also you said that you have only seen two milling styles but you are told that there are three, well here are some pics of the third one if your curious. http://www.asog.net/modules.php?op=m...mName=album275
nitelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
gomster
The Bad ICD Cop

Actually parts of this ultimate FAQ things need to be updated, they don't give a lot of the information about the newer versions of the BKO and the B2K.
ICDPA Member #2!
PaintballPalace
Originally posted by BiG rENo:
Gomster, you the man
Originally posted by 0_jester_0 :
You the man Gomster
Originally posted by PeYToN-SS:
Gomster > Us
Originally posted by artshark:
Gomster = God
Originally posted by I.A.O.A.B:
Gomster=Right no questions asked.... ever

You know it!

My PBReview Feedback My Ebay Feedback
gomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #13
penguins_r_kewl
Shlumpeet

Does the 04 BKOs have an adjustable rate of fire?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #14
xbulletproof89x
B2k4 w/pds

u should update the fact on what kind of threads do the bko's use i think the o4's now use cocker threads
Cross-Fire70/4500 stubby blue
dye sticky3's
Super Speedy Drop w/ on off
14 inch Dye UL
Vapor Works NR
Soon To Come:
CP Grip Reg
Chaos Board
(Any suggestions PM me)
xbulletproof89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #15
gomster
The Bad ICD Cop

Quote:
Originally posted by xbulletproof89x
u should update the fact on what kind of threads do the bko's use i think the o4's now use cocker threads
Yeah, they will get it updated sometime...
ICDPA Member #2!
PaintballPalace
Originally posted by BiG rENo:
Gomster, you the man
Originally posted by 0_jester_0 :
You the man Gomster
Originally posted by PeYToN-SS:
Gomster > Us
Originally posted by artshark:
Gomster = God
Originally posted by I.A.O.A.B:
Gomster=Right no questions asked.... ever

You know it!

My PBReview Feedback My Ebay Feedback
gomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:01 AM   #16
JustBunkered
tsu / b unit

Re: RE: ccrnnr9

Quote:
Originally posted by JustBunkered
The first thing you posted was about adjusting the velocity. Do you think that that is why my gun is messed up and if so do you think i messed up anything internally, or can i easily fix it by adjusting the velocity? If anyone who looks at this and does not know what im talking about refer to the post entitled Please Help Me! Thanks.

Dude I posted that like 2 months ago when i first got my bko. How did you post that under my name?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #17
JustBunkered
tsu / b unit

Do you see that first post that i posted. I posted that about 2 months ago when i first got my bko. I did not type that recently. The date is different then all the others. I was wondering how he posted that under my name...
Old 02-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #18
JustBunkered
tsu / b unit

I think the person who wrote this thread.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #19
JustBunkered
tsu / b unit

Quote:
Originally posted by gomster
Oh...

Hey, nice avatar !
You too.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #20
cockermongol

Send a message via AIM to cockermongol
Are there any threads concerning adjusting the trigger on BKO's that might be helpful?
cockermongol is offline   Reply With Quote