pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Tippmann

Old 08-19-2001, 11:43 AM   #1
Andrew
Administrator

Model 98 FAQ

Please contribute!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 12:38 PM   #2
compadre7
ventus fuit cogo

Question:
"One day while I was out playing, I'd have to cock my gun every couple of shots! What's the problem?"

Answer:
Check to make sure the screws on the back side of the gun (the side without the lettering) are screwed all the way in. Sometimes they get loose.

Question:
"How do I put my Dye Sticky Grips on? They don't seem to fit."

Answer:
Soak them in hot water for 10 minutes, after that, screw in the BOTTOM two screws, then stretch the top ones to fit (the top is much easier to stretch).

Question:
"What should my first upgrade be?"

Answer:
GET A NEW BARREL. I'd recommend an Equation Multiple Switch or a Lapco Bigshot, I own the Equation, and I have heard great things about the Lapco Bigshot. Pick the one that's right for you. Almost any aftermarket barrel will be a huge increase in performance from the stock barrel.

Question:
"What should my second upgrade be?"

Answer:
Once you get a barrel, it's really just up to you.
compadre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 01:21 PM   #3
Zac_T21

1) What is a good site for the modl 98?
Answer: www.m98center.com
2) what is a good barrel for my m98
for a low price maybe a bigshot or a cp. for a high price look into a all american.
Zac_T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 07:35 AM   #4
Q-Ball

Send a message via AIM to Q-Ball
Good upgrades for a m98:
1.Barrels: J&J Ceramic, Lapco Bigshot, Tippman Flatline, Armson Stealth, Dye Boomstick (Don't get a barrel over 14inches, it isn't any more accurate and it just gets in your way)

2. Rear Velocity Adjuster: Allows you to ajust your velocity w/o using allen wrenches.

3. Double Trigger: Higher rate of fire (if you buy one of these you should probably also look into buying a 12volt revolution)

4.RT Trigger: This gives you a very high rate of fire.

5.Drop Forwards: I personally recomend the Psycho Ballistics Universal Drop Forward. It moves your tank 7inches forward.

You can get most of this stuff at: http://www.countypaintball.com/
http://www.bbtpaintball.com/paintballmain.html
http://www.tippmann.com/pmatics/pmatics.html
Old 08-21-2001, 11:50 AM   #5
Q98

Send a message via AIM to Q98
Q. Can I fix the elbow rattle?

A. Put a few strips of cloth tape under the paintball feedhole in the gun and put the elbow back in place or get a proteam powerfeed.

Q. What if I can't get my velocity above 260 or so?

A. Get an rva and maddman springs

Q. how can i keep my velocity more consistant?

A. Get a regulator, anti siphon, or expansion chamber
Q98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 10:18 PM   #6
Dolemite

Thumbs up My Tippman

I have had my Tippman for almost a year, and now i actually have the time to ask some questions about it. I bought it used in good condition but i have no idea what is stock and what isn't.

1) The front bolt I put in, its a Venturi bolt. Works good. The powertube is of metal structure, but i dont know what was stock or if it is stock, and if its not, then what is the compostie, is it aluminum, an dis thier anything better/lighter. Next back is the rear bolt with the plug. From a little research i guessed that this is stock. Is there anythin out thier lighter/better for that too? It is certainly the heaviest part of the innards.

2) The vertical adaptor if a b#@ch to unscrew from the powertube, and i don't want to break it. Any pointers?

3) I have a 12v revolution that i understand is very good, but also very heavy. Do you think it would be worth it to get a standard hopper and get a power feed by pro-team to lighten the weight? (I'm guessing not, but just threw it out there.)

4)There is a J&J ceramic one-piece on there right now, worht it to upgrade and/or to what?

5) Any other tips for the M98 would be greatly appriciated. This site rocks!
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 05:38 AM   #7
Mephistopheles
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mephistopheles
Re: My Tippman

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolemite

1) The front bolt I put in, its a Venturi bolt. Works good. The powertube is of metal structure, but i dont know what was stock or if it is stock, and if its not, then what is the compostie, is it aluminum, an dis thier anything better/lighter. Next back is the rear bolt with the plug. From a little research i guessed that this is stock. Is there anythin out thier lighter/better for that too? It is certainly the heaviest part of the innards.
The very original powertube was metal. And kind of dull. However, the current version is now a black plastic powertube. With your metal powertube, there are 2 options. 1, it is the old stock version. Or 2, it is part of the Psycho Ballistics billet aluminium powertube. You'll know if it's 2 because it is very shiny, and you can see the milled grooves unlike the smooth, dull version of the stock metal powertube.

2) The vertical adaptor if a b#@ch to unscrew from the powertube, and i don't want to break it. Any pointers?
The use of a vice. You clamp down the powertube, use a proper fitting wrench or pliers, grap ahold of the VA by the threads of the powertube (there's a flat surface there) and turn it off. Be sure that the vice has socks or something soft to not scratch the tube, and don't clamp it down too hard.

3) I have a 12v revolution that i understand is very good, but also very heavy. Do you think it would be worth it to get a standard hopper and get a power feed by pro-team to lighten the weight? (I'm guessing not, but just threw it out there.)
Not really. A standard hopper is only ounces lighter compared to a revolution. And the benefit of the agitation far outweighs that.

4)There is a J&J ceramic one-piece on there right now, worht it to upgrade and/or to what?
Yes, an aftermarket barrel is you best upgrade. In fact, it should be the first upgrade before anything else. These barrels are medium bore, accurate and pretty quiet. But, be sure you have a good paint to barrel match for best efficiency and accuracy.

Any more tips will be found in my previous post(s). Take a look there for some information
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 07:50 AM   #8
Crime Dog
Legend

Send a message via AIM to Crime Dog
Valve problem?

I was talking to a friend of mine last night on the phone, and he was a tad frustrated. He just bought a 98 Custom, and he's started having problems with what he describes as a "gurgling noise". It sounds like maybe its coming from the valve, or where the hose screws into the valve maybe. It's doing it as soon as he screws in his CO2. I'm not sure what to tell him. I thought maybe liquid got into the valve, but would that be the case even after the gun had not been used since the day before?

Any help would be appreciated...and quickly, because we have a big game coming up on Saturday, and he wants to use his own gun (obviously.)

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2001, 08:05 AM   #9
Mephistopheles
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mephistopheles
Ok, a couple suggestions.

1)Check the o-rings, especially on the tank. Make sure they're all giving a good solid hold.

2)My guess is he holds the gun down and then screws in the tank. Don't screw it in like that. Keep the gun horizontal, or point it up in the sky (barrel end up)... THEN screw it in. If he holds it down and screws in, liquid will more easily get in the valve that way.

3)Try running off of a remote. But be sure the tank doesn't have an anti-siphon. Because the combination of anti-siphon and remote makes it a siphon.
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:08 AM   #10
Crime Dog
Legend

Send a message via AIM to Crime Dog
He won't be running remote for quite some time. $$$

Thanks for the other suggestions! I'll pass that on to Jeff.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:19 PM   #11
paintballer56
Tape Runner

Send a message via AIM to paintballer56 Send a message via Yahoo to paintballer56
Re: My Tippman

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolemite
I have had my Tippman for almost a year, and now i actually have the time to ask some questions about it. I bought it used in good condition but i have no idea what is stock and what isn't.

If you dont like the wieght of the twelve volt revy get a regular 200 round hopper,it depends on how fast you shoot, you have more likly chance to chop with a regular hopper, you really dont need to up the J&J its a good barrel, keep it, i say get a psycho ballistics rocket cock and p. b. rear velocity, and a inline reg, maybe glad, check other threads they might help :0
paintballer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 12:45 PM   #12
tkyle18

Rt

Is the rt tournament legal?
tkyle18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 12:19 PM   #13
mattimaru
canadian dollar sucks

Send a message via ICQ to mattimaru Send a message via AIM to mattimaru
damned safety button

occasionally my safety will be just slightly pushed in so when i pull my trigger its a bit hard to pull. any suggestions on how to fix this little annoyance?
Old 11-14-2001, 01:06 PM   #14
1shot1kill
Wanna Play Rough????

You can always remove it. Just be careful not to shoot your eye out
Old 12-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #15
FUBARFREAK

Send a message via AIM to FUBARFREAK
Other way to end the elbow rattle.
Get some of the Velcro strips with the sticky glue on the back side of it. Take the soft half of the Velcro and cut it to fit on the elbow. I think this is a good way to good about it. It is real easy to do and blends well so you will hardly recognize it is there
Old 01-30-2002, 05:47 PM   #16
ZacT26
Old School

Oiling?
Its winter here and i totally forgot about paintball.
I forgot where to oil my gun at?
ZacT26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #17
Meph
Knowitall: Yogurt!

Send a message via AIM to Meph
Quote:
Originally posted by ZacT26
Oiling?
Its winter here and i totally forgot about paintball.
I forgot where to oil my gun at?
Hey, sorry. I should've replied to this a long time ago.

Well, to oil the gun easily without disassembly, here's what you do. Put about 2-3 drops in that hole in your ASA. Screw in the tank, take some dry-firing shots.

WITH the barrel OFF. Otherwise you'll get oil in the barrel.

Now for total disassembly oil jobs, just oil where there's moving parts. Meaning the linkage arm, and the bolt and hammer. That's all you need to oil.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #18
Igor_9000

Send a message via ICQ to Igor_9000
do dye sticky grips work on tippy 98c?
are they worth buying?

and could you use WD-40 to oil your marker or would that do more harm than good?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Igor_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:17 AM   #19
Meph
Knowitall: Yogurt!

Send a message via AIM to Meph
Ok, Sticky grips fit. However, only 2 ways.

1) You stretch them on through brute force.
2) Put them in boiling water for a minute to soften them up a little, then stretch them on with a bit less force required.

Either way, you have to stretch them on. Not much though. Only millimeters worth of stretching.

And WD-40, no. I've covered this in my "Updated Newbie FAQ" post. Get ONLY paintball specific oils. WD-40, vegetable oil... do not use those. Stuff like Hoppes 9. Only paintball oil.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #20
Igor_9000

Send a message via ICQ to Igor_9000
thanks a lot!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Igor_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote