pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Bob Long

Old 09-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Jaster
The one and only

New "Cleaning your Timmy"

CLEANING YOUR "TIMMY"updated

Tools needed

Before you can maintain your marker, you will need to collect the following

-Imperial Allen Key Set
-DOW55, DOW33,
-Tri-flow/3in1 oil
-3/8 socket wrench
-Rag (not paper towel, it will fall apart and get fibers in your gun, and possibly your solenoid)
-Squeegee, must have a cloth attachment
-Needle nose pliers

Clean off Paint

This is pretty self explanatory. Wipe the gun down and get rid of any paint dirt or shell on the gun

The Bolt

Pull the pin on top of your bolt. This will disconnect the bolt from your hammer and you can now slide it out the rear of your gun. Wipe off all the old grease and dirt that is on the bolt. get the bolt nice and clean. Inspect your o-rings for knicks and scratches. If there is damage to any of your o-rings, replace them promptly with new 015 size o-rings. If you have the aluminum stock bolt, apply some grease to your fingertip and spread it all over the bolt. The center area that is thin and does not contact the marker body does not need to be lubricated. Apply enough grease so that you have just enough that you can see the grease on the bolt, but not so much that the bolt is coated in an overly thick layer (this will 'cause your bolt to gum up and give you screwy velocity readings). If you have a newer Delrin bolt apply a small amount of triflow/3in1 to the bolt. A few drops is all that is needed. Before reinserting the bolt, take a squeegee and run it through the body of the marker. This should wipe up some of the old grease that now has dirt in it (and will wear down your markers internals). Do not reinsert the bolt yet, there is still another step before it is ready.

The ram and ram cap

Using only your hands, remove the ram cap at the rear of your markers body. You will need only remove the thin part that unscrews from the markers body. To remove, just grip (put a cloth over it if necessary for more grip) it with your hands and turn counterclockwise. It is a bit tough to remove the first time, but should come out very easy afterwards. Turning the ram cap no longer causes it to back out your gun, just grab it and pull it out. Now tilt your gun so that the back (where you just removed the cap) is facing downwards. Your ram should pop right out. If it does not, push it out from the top of the marker (the slot where the bolt pin goes through) with something, a pencil will work. Wipe down the ram with the rag and inspect the o-rings. These o-rings are integral to the markers function and it is very important that these o-rings are in good shape. If you see any nicks or cuts remove the o-rings and replace. The front (thin end) o-ring is a 006 and the rear o-ring is a 011 size. These o-rings will wear down periodically, so make sure you check them well. Relube the ram in a manner similar to how you lubed the bolt. Being sure to apply a good coat over the o-rings especially. Reinsert the ram (the thin end goes in first) being careful to observe that it goes in properly. You have to get the thin end to go into a smaller diameter tube in the front of the rams housing, so if the hammer does not slide all the way into the gun, it is not in this tube properly. Just trial and error should work to get it in correctly. Get the cap that seals off the hammer housing tube, check and apply lube to the o-ring (011) in front of the threads. This will help the marker seal properly and your cap will not come loose as easily. Turn the cap clockwise tightening as tight as possible but only using your hands, do not use a wrench. If you have an adjustable ram cap now is a good time to re-adjust it. Tilt the marker upward (barrel pointing up) at about a 45* angel and move the bolt all the way back. Using an allen wrench, adjust the ramcap until you can just barely see the first o-ring on the bolt when looking down the feed tube.

Bolt reinsertion

This takes some practice but after time it will be like second nature. Reinsert the bolt into the gun making sure to align the pin with the slot in the ram. It is tough to see, but you should be able to feel when you've done it properly. If you'd like to be sure, there is an easy way to check. Look down your feed tube from above and move the bolt all the way back, it should come far enough back so that you can just barely see the end of the bolt. Your bolt all the way forwards, the forward o-ring should just pass out of view before the bolt stops moving. If your bolt cannot complete this range of motion, the ram/bolt pin are not lined up properly. Pushing down on the ram and wiggling should help a little.

Regulator Maintenance

Now comes the part that scares some new intimidator owners, so they avoid this and end up having problems with their gun. But reg maintenance is neither difficult, nor is it easy to mess up. Now, for those that haven't done the LP mod, they will have to perform maintenance on both the top and bottom regs. Do them one at a time so you don't get them messed up. If you have done the LP mod, or if you have a single reg housing, like on a GZ, Dragon, 2K2, ect?. you only need to worry about the bottom/single reg. They are both the same for the purpose of maintenance though, so the method described will work with either. First of all, grab the reg housing (the silver tube) with your hand and turn counter-clockwise. If the reg cannot be removed by hand, take your allen key and back out (turn counter-clockwise) the pressure adjustment screw located on the front of your reg in a manner that is similar as you would do if you were turning the pressure on your reg down. This will reduce spring tension inside the reg and you should be able to remove the regulator by hand. Now that you have the reg off, you will need to remove the pressure adjustment screw entirely. When removed, you will have a nice hole in the front of your reg. using your allen key inserted into this hole, push the piston out the back of your reg( push the allen key in, all the stuff should pop out) and the piston, spring and washer should come out. Take your rag and clean out the inside walls of the regulator. Wipe down the spring and piston as well. Check the o-ring on the piston (113 size), if there are scratches, you know what to do. Relube the piston AND spring (the spring moves against the walls of the reg when it compresses, and this will also spread more lube inside the reg) well. Now, reinsert the parts of the reg. The order should be, washer first, then spring (doesn't matter which direction it faces) and then the piston. The piston must be inserted facing the correct direction though. The end that has a "little nubb" on the face should be facing towards the back of your reg, or towards your gun, and the "fatter nubb" should be facing the spring. Push the parts in by hand. Reinsert the adjustment screw in the front of the reg by turning it clockwise. Do not put the reg back on the gun yet, there is more to do.

Pin Valves

Another critical area of your gun, yet one that is simple to maintain. using a 3/8 socket wrench, remove the retention nut that is holding the pin valve in. (This is located on your gun body, where the reg you just removed was formerly mounted). Just unscrew the nut by hand when it is out far enough to grip. When the nut comes off, the pin will also come out. It is under a small bit of pressure, so be careful it does not fly off. Take a look at the pin itself to make sure there are no chips or bends in the pin, or your marker will malfunction. Now look at the o-rings on the base of the pin. There should be 1 white Teflon o-ring (006), and one black o-ring (010) on the valve pin base. Both must be in very good condition for your marker to function. This area shouldn't get too dirty, but a little wipe down will not hurt anything. If the o-rings are damaged, replace immediately. Apply a thin coat of lube to the pin itself as well as the o-rings and reinsert into the marker then re-attach the retention nut. Do not overtighten. Remember the reg tube removed earlier? Well check the 016 o-ring on the tube and replace it if needed. Apply a small amount of lube to the o-ring and re-attach it to the reg housing. Now that wasn't so bad was it?

Your inline reg

Inline regs will differ in design, so the only thing I can say here is clean and lube, and if in doubt, may as well clean that part and lube it as well. Your inline reg is just as important to the markers functioning as the parts inside the marker itself, so keep it in good shape, and check those o-rings.

The poppet

To grease the poppet assembly, first you must remove the Reg assembly from the marker. If you don't know how to do this, there is a screw holding it to the body that you can get at once you remove the grip frame. It is the one closest to the front of the marker. Remove this screw and the reg assembly will slide right out. A spring will come out, hold onto this and make sure to note which way it was facing (the narrower end faces the poppet, the wider end faces the reg assembly). You may need to disconnect the air-hose from the reg assembly if it's too short and you cant take the assembly off without stretching the hose. Now, grab the bolt, pull it all the way back and then slam it forward. The poppet should come right out. If it doesn't, push the poppet back in (towards the marker) with your finger and try again. Once it's out, you know the drill. O-ring check. This one is a 004. Check the poppet shaft out too. Make sure it's not bent or scratched. Grease the poppet and then reassemble. You only realistically have to do this once in a while. The poppet doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance, and my rule of thumb is every 5 cases.
--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by GranDreamUse the search, Luke.
Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by Homer:Jaster is the Master.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips
Pure Energy 45/45 and 68/45 12" STIFFI Barrel, 14" CP 2 Piece, Red Halo B

WANTED: Ripper Timmy body. PM me if you have one you want to sell or trade.

Last edited by Jaster : 08-11-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Jaster
The one and only

Part II

Now this type of heavy cleaning isn't needed after everyday of playing. You want to do this about 20-30 thousand shots. That's about every 10-15 cases of paint.
What you want to clean after 5 cases:
-the regs
-the poppet

What you do want to do after a day of play is :
-the marker
-the bolt
-the ram

I've followed these instructions since I got my Timmy. It's never let me down.
Now to give credit where needed. 90% of this post was copied from Eltwicho's original "maintaining your Timmy". Times change and so have the markers. I've added and changed a few things to keep up with the times.

Originally posted by Lopez17It's really quite amusing to see the difference between talent and ego
Originally posted by teufelhunden You'd think stickies are there to make the forum pretty...
Originally posted by Killer Kat: Don't feed the Jaster from your hand! He bites!!
Originally posted by cocker kid 2k2 :Shut your trap while the big boys are talking.
Originally posted by iplaynaked:This....is the Jaster. All I'm going to say to you about him is....don't make him angry.

Red to Black Texas Storm, WAS2.8 Board, WAS Switch, KAPP Thumper Ram, BL Delrin Poppet, Violent Products Delrin Piston, CP Rail, Modified Stock Bolt, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Empire on/off, AKA Sidewinder reg, Clamping Low Rise, Flame Eye Covers, ScytheII Trigger.
Red/Yellow Fade LP Classic Timmy, Bob Long Torpedo Reg., Claw Trigger, CP Adj. Ram Cap, Modified Delrin Bolt, CP Flame Drop Forward, Empire On/Off, WAS 2.8 Equalizer bd., WAS Eye, WAS Switch, Twisted Low Rise, Custom Red Oak Grips

Last edited by Jaster : 09-08-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
RunsW/Scissors

Send a message via AIM to RunsW/Scissors
Couple Pieces of Additional Info

Wow Great Job Jaster! Just thought I would add a few extra resources.

Maintenance Resources

2k2/Dragon/GZ Manual - Click Here
Classic/Ripper Manual- Click Here
Unofficial Timmy FAQ Maintenance Section- Click Here

O-Ring Sizes
000- Eye O-Ring
004- Poppet Shaft O-Ring
006- Small Ram O-Ring
006- Small Teflon Pin-Valve O-Ring
010- Pin Valve Base O-Ring
011- Large Ram O-Ring
015- Bolt, Ram Sleeve, Reg Housing O-Ring
016- Reg Housing O-Ring
020- GZ Volumizer Large O-Ring
112- New Ram Sleeve O-Ring
113- LPR Piston O-Ring
114- Fat Single Reg LPR O-Ring
118- GZ Feed Tube O-Ring

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack & Coke on PBN
HOW TO GAS UP YOUR GUN FOR A WHOLE DAY OF PAINTBALL

1. When you first gas up your Timmy for a day of paintball, screw in your tank (or turn on the on/off ASA). Your gun will pressurize and you will be able to fire it.

2. Take a hex wrench and back the set screw of your LP Reg out (counter clock-wise) until it is flush with the end cap. Do the same to the HP reg. Fire your marker a few times as you do this and you will immediately notice that the system loses pressure to the point that it will not cycle (Kinda like when you de-gas a CO2 bottle from a marker).

3. After both reg screws are flush and the gun cannot fire, turn your HP up just enough to pressurize the marker. (about 3/4 of a turn, you should about 1 thread), then slowly begin turning the LP reg screw in (clock-wise) in small increaments (i.e. 1/16 of a turn) as you fire the gun. Keep doing this until your main gauge reads 85 psi. Now your opperating pressure is set.

4. After you have set the operating to 85 psi, slowly screw in the set screws in the the HP reg (clock-wise), until you see about 4 threads. This should put you in the neighborhood of 250-310 fps.

5. Go to a chrono and fine turn the HP reg setting until your marker is shooting at the velocity you want.

6. DO NOT DE-GAS YOUR GUN FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. Bob keeps his marker pressurized until his is done for the day. Only use your power on/off switch to disable your gun.

What this does is reset the tensions on the HP and LP reg springs. When you first gas the gun up, the gas pressure in your tank slams full force into the HP and LP regs. It takes time (i.e. many shots) for the springs to correctly adjust from a state of non-pressure, to a state of consistant pressure.

The idea of steps 1-5 is to slowly introduce pressure into your gun's system instead of 'shocking' it. Just think of the Regs as faucet valves in your sink. Be nice to them !

The idea of step 6 is to keep the springs in your regs under consistant pressure so your gun will have consistant velocities throughout the day. Good consistant spring pressure = good consistant regs = good consistant air pressure on the balls = good consistant ball trajectories = good consistant ACCURACY! Let's say you play 10 games, and after each game you de-gas your gun. That's 10 times your reg springs have to reset! How do you expect your regs to be consistant?

Bob says he does this every time he plays. But if you just want to goof around and shoot the gun, it's ok to just gas it up and rock and roll. Just don't expect super duper consistant velocities.

Hope this helps.
Jack & Coke, if you would like me to remove this I will, I tried to PM you for permission but my PBN PM System seems to be down.
[2k2 Timmy Blue-Black Dust] [Crossfire 68/3000] [CP Barrel Kit] [WAS Equalizer Board] [Evlution 2] [System X Reaper Trigger] [Chrome Clamping Low Rise] [Hydra Bolt] [Titanium Ram] [ER Ram Cap] [Spiked Trigger Guard] [32 Flame Drop] [Kapp On/Off] [KAPP Ram] [WAS Wicked Switch] [WAS Equalink]

[If you live in SF area check this out-SF Paintball Center]

[Intimidator-Owners][Paintball Kingdom][County Paintball]
[Timmy Upgrade Thread]

Mods - Feel free to spruce my sig up a bit, it is very boring

Last edited by Jaster : 08-02-2004 at 09:28 AM.
RunsW/Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
Jaster
The one and only

Ya' know I came here tonight to add all these other Timmy links and FAQ stuff and *POOF* it's already here.

Outstanding job RWS!! You read my mind. You're doing a lot lately...... you're creapin' me out now....

If anyone has anything else to add, pointers, things that have worked for you, feel free to add!

Old 09-22-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
AK47

Send a message via ICQ to AK47
A good thing to do is every month do a complete overhaul of the gun, replace orings as nessesary, in the strip down strip the gun to the bone, pour water throught the body(take off the eye covers and eyes and everything else) just use water, don't use soap, this will get rid of the old grease and dirt in those hard to reach places. This will NOT damage anything!! I found that it helps the gun run more smoothly overall. Do this once a month everymonth no matter how much you play. Do this only during the playing months, once the season is over, do it again(don't lube anything) and put away, just before the season starts repeat. It works very well and reduces wear on components.
I agree with AK47 he knows what he's talking about
Atleast someone noticed

If you don't like my posts, eat them
AK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:30 AM   #6
Jaster
The one and only

Actually no AK. That's something you want to do about once a year. No once a month. Every 20-30K shots.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:56 PM   #7
AK47

Send a message via ICQ to AK47
i find that everything runs more smoothly once a month, but I also found that the regs need to be lubed once a week no matter how much has been shot. My timmy likes to be clean
I agree with AK47 he knows what he's talking about
Atleast someone noticed

If you don't like my posts, eat them
AK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
Jaster
The one and only

I hear ya'. That's what I thought too. I got that from Bob and Terry though. I'd listen to them. They know more then we do. They designed it after all.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #9
Kyle's Ghost
400 FPS-IT HURTS

Send a message via AIM to Kyle's Ghost
i don't have a Timmy (YET) but have some advice...don't be afraid to take apart your gun and see what its all about...i don't know that much about Timmy's but a great guy named Bret told me that and now i know everything there is to know about an impulse...just if you have trouble taking apart or putting back together...download a manual,look in your Timmy manual...or look in the stickies for help...hope this encourages you...i took it apart and put it all back together and it works better then before...sometimes if you don't get it right the first time don't give up just yet...cause you will need to learn sooner or later...it may be a guess and check situation or it may be i am too afraid to do it...so use ur manual...please don't blame me for the complications of a Timmy but imps are simple and every gun should be too...hope this encourages some people if not all that don't have an idea what to do...

great job on the thread Jaster
Kyle's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:34 PM   #10
megabork

DUMB

NOOBY QUESTION FER YA,, the lasoya does not have both a hp and lp reg?? now i still dont have the thing in my hands but its killing me with lack of info,,plus all the maintnence is kinda scarey ,,i never touch my cocker(couldnt even tell you how it even works LOL straight to the pro) and the ir3 sheesh ive never evn opened it up , although this doesnt look to be too much different from the spyder blow back design,,i always thought the the reg that you hold onto was the hp reg??the one that has the velo adjustment screw?? yikes dufus alert,,whoa dont beat me
megabork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:43 PM   #11
Jaster
The one and only

You are right about the inline being the HP. The HP reg I'm talking about is the one on the duel classic front reg. The LaSoya has a single front reg. The LP only.
Don't let the maintenance scare ya'. It looks worse then it really is. That's what's so nice about Timmys. Very easy to deal with.

Old 12-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
megabork

makes sense

got a little worked up there,,,now ive always heard not to lube the delrin bolts???and im assuminmg no to the gold cup oil then??im losing it,,ill wait till i have the friggen thing in my hands,,,im fired up ,,i wasnt this excited about any of my guns,,
megabork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:02 PM   #13
Jaster
The one and only

I use a couple drops tri-flow (3-in-1) oil on the delin parts. You can use dow 33/55 but just on the orings.

The Timmy won't BE like any of yout other guns.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
imp_man87j
muppet killa

where and what does the pin valve do.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:12 AM   #15
Jaster
The one and only

You have 2 pin valves in your marker (unless you have a classic...then it's 3) The first on is in your torpedo reg. If you take the bottom of the torpedo off and look at the half still on the marker you will a 3/8 brass nut with a pin sticking out of it. This is the pin valve. Using a nutdriver to take it out (carefully...it's brass and soft), you'll see the pin, a 006 teflon oring, and a spring. Now the 2nd one is in your LP frontblock reg. Unscrew and remove the pressure adjustment endcap on the reg. Take out the spring seat washer and the LP spring and look down the reg tube. You'll see the same type of 3/8 nut with the pin.
What these do is allow the air to move from one part of the marker to another during the shooting cycle under a certain amount of air pressure, allowing the marker to fire.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #16
RunsW/Scissors

It's really easy if you just think of them as being the same thing as on your tank, unless your tank has an on/off. Tanks use the same principles, in fact they are pin valves themselves. They are activated differently but are the same things in theory.
[2k2 Timmy Blue-Black Dust] [Crossfire 68/3000] [CP Barrel Kit] [WAS Equalizer Board] [Evlution 2] [System X Reaper Trigger] [Chrome Clamping Low Rise] [Hydra Bolt] [Titanium Ram] [ER Ram Cap] [Spiked Trigger Guard] [32 Flame Drop] [Kapp On/Off] [KAPP Ram] [WAS Wicked Switch] [WAS Equalink]

[Timmy Upgrade Thread]

Old 01-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #17
Jaster
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted bt RunsW/Scissors
They are activated differently but are the same things in theory.
In a nut shell, pin goes in - air comes out. Even with the on/off. The pin in the on/off pushes the pin on your tank letting the air out. In a reg, a spring forces a piston down on the pin valve, opening the valve until there is enough air pressure to force the piston off the pin. Now your marker is gassed up and ready to fire.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
RunsW/Scissors

Oh, I didn't think there was a pin-valve in on/offs. I guess you do learn something new everyday huh?

[Timmy Upgrade Thread]

Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #19
jesus101
MW

hey

i got my timmy and need the manual. is ther a nother source where i dont need to have that acrabat reader, cause i dont have it and it wont download on my comp.

thanks
jesus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #20
gunit_soldier08

Send a message via AIM to gunit_soldier08
As far as I know there is no other source. You have to have the reader and get the manual from the bob long site or somewhere else that has it.
But as far as timmy maintenance, check out this site. Check out the message boards also, very helpful.
gunit_soldier08 is offline   Reply With Quote