pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Worr Game Products

Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #1
amzng_spyderman
Legend

a guide to upgrading your cocker

3 way* - probably the most important upgrade to your pneumatics is the 3 way. this helps determine how short your pull will be and will also change the feel of the trigger pull. great choices would be the
- Shocktech Bomb
- WGP Copy This
- Belsales Hollowpoint
anodizing* - this is the last thing you should do to your cocker and is for cosmetic purposes only. great choices for anodizing are
- www.jackalmachine.com
- www.pkselective.com.
asa - there are two kinds of air system adapters: straight and 15* angle. some find the angle more comfortable, some find the straight more comfortable. this shouldn't be upgraded until you're done with the important parts unless you can't stand the straight asa's. if so, kapp and wgp make angled asa's. dye and kapp make some good looking straight asa's.
asa screw - only necessary if you're building a cocker from scratch. compulsive paintball carries them.
back block - this part is upgraded for looks and to take weight off. don't worry about replacing this right away. when you decide to do so, look for a q-block or a jackal block. (if there's a lighter block out there, let me know)
ball detent - there are metal ball detents, delrin ball detents, rebuildable ball detents, and a "fang" detent. metal detents (such as the stock detent) sometimes wear down the bolt. there won't be a noticable loss in performance. delrin detents don't scratch up the bolt as much. rebuildable detents can be taken apart and put back together for maintenance purposes. the eclipse fang detent is like a spyder detent, it uses a nub to keep from double feeding. this is not necessary to upgrade, but if you do, get one with a light spring behind the ball to keep the bolt from dragging against it.
barrel - stock cocker barrels aren't very good. this is the case with all stock barrels. this should be replaced with a barrel of high quality, such as
- Dye Boomstick
- Smart Parts All American
- Custom Products 2 piece
see the barrel forum for more details.
beavertail - purely for looks. don't bother unless you hate the stock one or you broke it. don't go without one, most fields require them. check these out:
- Kapp beavertail
- Dye Beavertail
body - getting a new body is cosmetic. get the one you like, but make sure the company that makes it is reliable.
- www.jackalmachine.com
- www.aimpaintball.com
are such quality companies.
bolt - the stock bolt is very high flowing and isn't necessary to replace right away. bolts have no effect on accuracy or range like some people think. a good aftermarket bolt should be high flowing and lightweight. these are all great choices:
- Compulsive Edge
- Shocktech Supa fly
- AKA Lightning Bolt
- WGP Worr Bolt
cocking rod - this is primarily a cosmetic upgrade. your stock cocking rod will work fine. get one you think looks good when there's very little left to do to your cocker.
coupler* - upgrading this is pointless. if you must, omega makes a titanium coupler. dye's pmp 3 way stem as a coupler built into it.
cradle/drop forward - a cradle that feels right to you can make a day of paintball much easier. an on/off is very handy. the system x cradle suits me very well, but try out different sizes of different brands to see which one you like best. the kapp drop zone is expensive but easily adjustable to fit you perfectly.
- Kapp Dropzone
- Custom Products Flame Drop
- Check-it Unimount
front block* - upgrade a front block for looks and less weight, but don't do it right away. the evil block looks great and is less than half the weight of a stock front block. you can also consider a
- Kapp Front Block
- Dye Front Block
front block screw/lpc* - better known as a banjo bolt, there is no need to upgrade a front block screw. however, macdev makes a front block screw that you can screw your lpr into, leaving the other hole open for a gauge. this can be convenient if you can't put a gauge on the bottom of your front block, but your front block becomes a mess. scratching may occur when you try to remove/install parts. a low pressure chamber is ok for minicockers and post 99 cockers, but full size 2k cockers don't need them. if you still want one, kapp makes some nice stainless steel ones.
grips - grips can be your hands' best friend. a nice grip will give your trigger frame a much better feel.
- Dye Stickies
- Dye Sticky 3
- Smart Grips
hammer* - a heavy hammer can mean a lower pressure and increased efficiency, but a hammer that's too heavy can mean a sluggish cocker. the stock hammer is just about the right weight and you can get very good efficiency with it. if you have to upgrade it, look at a jackal hi-speed hammer or a tungsten medium hammer.
hopper - a motorized hopper is a great investment. electro cockers may need an evo II or halo, maybe even a warp feed. any other cocker only needs an agitated hopper. make this one of your first upgrades.
- hopper sticky
hose - don't starve your cocker of air! get a stainless steel hose or macro line, never micro line. any kind of macro or s/s will work great.
ivg - as long as your stock ivg is functional, don't bother looking into an aftermarket ivg. but kapp stainless steel ivgs are nice for the cocker owner who has everything.
jam nut* - same as the ivg, if it works, don't change it. the check it s/s jam nut and kapp jam nuts are the same things, so flip a coin to decide which to buy.
lpr* - an externally adjustable low pressure regulator is convenient for tuning. your stock lpr will work, but is a p.i.t.a. to adjust. a regulator that spikes can cause ball chops instead of pinches. palmer's rock regulators are very consistent, externally adjustable, and have a lifetime warranty. other great choices include the
- Palmers Rock
- Palmers Micro Rock
- Mac Dev Sonic lpr
- WGP Tickler
milling* - the second to last thing to have done to your cocker is milling. it's unnecessary but can make you stand out at the field. it's also great for taking off some extra weight.
jackal machine does great milling.
o-rings - again, if you're building a cocker from scratch, you should pick up an o-ring kit to make sure you've got the right seals. they're also good for cocker first aid. WGP makes a color coded kit.
pneumatic hoses* - hoses don't match your cocker? get a colored hose kit. but don't do it until you've got all the necessary upgrades first. most hose kits are the same.
pump arm - cosmetic/weight loss upgrade. the titanium pump arm from pbgear.com or kapp aluminum pump arms are great.
push/pull pin - your stock push pin will work fine. there's a chance it'll break, though. you'll obviously need to replace it. if you get a bolt that requires a pull pin, it'll usually come with one. buying a new pin is unnecessary as it will only make your cocker look better. if you must, just find the one you think looks best. kapp makes nice pull pins and animalpaintball.com has a really cool skull push pin.
- Kapp Pull Pins

"Fossil fuels are finite, but idiots are a renewable resource."

Last edited by amzng_spyderman : 01-30-2004 at 02:44 PM.
amzng_spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
amzng_spyderman
Legend

ram* - for a snappy feel a smooth ram may be what you're looking for. rams that aren't honed well can make your cocker feel sluggish. it can also allow for lower cocking pressure. electrococker owners will want a ram that can keep up with their frame.
- WGP STO Ram
- Kapp FAT Ram
- Belsales .44 Magnum Ram
these rams are faster than necessary.
regulator* - a good inline regulator is very important to the performance of your cocker. an externally adjustable, consistant, and reliable regulator is a great upgrade. some of which include the palmer stabilizer, macdev gladiator, air america vigilante, and bob long torpedo.
- Palmers Stabalizer
- Mac Dev Gladiator
- Air America Vigilante
- Bob Long Torpedo
- AKA Sidewinder
sear - for slider frames, a rolling sear will make for a much smoother pull. hinge users will not notice much of a difference with a rolling sear. shocktech and omega both make good rolling sears.
springs* - essential for an efficient low pressure setup. guide to sweetspotting for efficiency. maddman springs have worked wonders for me.
- Maddman Spring Kit
tank - hpa is highly recommended because it's cleaner. however, co2 won't kill a cocker like some say. look into the air systems forum for more info.
timing rod* - replace only if you bent your old timing rod or had your cocker cut down into a mini. dye makes them in both sizes, and omega makes a titanium timing rod (note, this comes with a titanium coupler).
trigger frame* - when it comes to the old slider vs. hinge debate, it's 100% preference. try both before making a decision. choose the one that feels better i don't know of any good sliders, but the kapp reflex and eclipse blade are very popular. again, try them before deciding. to make your pull shorter you'll need a trigger stop as well. if you've got a couple hundred bucks to blow, e-blades are gaining in popularity for their speed.
- Eclipse E-blade
- WGP Worr Blade
- Centerflag Uprising Frame
- Eclipse Blade
- Kapp Reflex
- ANS Quickfire Slider Frame
- KAPP .45 Frame
trigger plate - slider users may want to replace the trigger plate in their frame. kapp makes some that are good for cosmetically upgrading your cocker, but they've gotten bad reviews so far. omega makes a rolling trigger plate for an even smoother pull.
valve* - stock valves are said to be the most efficient valves out there, so don't touch it. low pressure isn't what you should be shooting for, it's efficiency. if you're desperate for low pressure anyway, a Rat 3:16, maddman rocket, or aka tornado will do it for you.
- Rat 3:16 Valve
- AKA Tornado Valve
valve screw - kapp makes a stainless steel valve screw that comes in a screw kit.

these parts can be found at www.pbgear.com, www.compulsivepaintball.com, www.madcocker.com, www.animalpaintball.com.

parts with a * next to their name should be installed/timed/tuned by a professional if you are new to cockers or are just unsure that you're able to do it yourself.

though some may argue, i believe this is the best order to upgrade in:

barrel (to improve accuracy)
motorized hopper (so you don't chop and whatnot)
hpa (clean and consistent)
spring kit (increase efficiency and lower cocking pressure)
trigger frame (speed, durablility, and feel)
drop forward/cradle (preference)
inline reg (for better consistency and easy sweetspotting)
3 way (shorten pull and/or make it smoother)

the rest of the parts can pretty much be swapped out in any order. it depends on how much you want to spend.

special thanks to hybrid-sniper for plugging in the links to reviews

Last edited by amzng_spyderman : 01-30-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
amzng_spyderman
Legend

opened for suggestions, updating, etc...

Old 01-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
teknique521
Hellfire cometh

maybe you could seperate them into categories like-
Air efficiency upgrades
Aesthetic upgrades
Minor Upgrades
or however everyone feels is the best way

and describe each part like this:
3 way* - probably the most important upgrade to your pneumatics is the 3 way. this helps determine how short your pull will be and will also change the feel of the trigger pull.
Recommended:
1)shocktech bomb, wgp copy this, and belsales hollow point

Just a suggestion

My BattleAxe-
Blue '03 Vertical Feed
12" Silver All-American
Belsales 3-way
Palmers Micro-rock
STO Ram
Orracle bolt
Blue Kapp beavertail
Blue Check it Speedy Drop
Bulldog 3 68/3k
Smoke Halo TSA backman
teknique521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
amzng_spyderman
Legend

i'm thinking about adding links to reviews on the products. thing is, it'll take a lot of time, and i'm lazy i was also thinking about labeling them with letters that tell you what they do, like a barrel would be A for accuracy. then again, ->

Old 01-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Blue Baller

You have the portion on trigger frames, and you mention that you don't know any good sliders. Here are a few:

1) Belsales slider
2) Shocktech slider
3) Dye slider

Trader feedback
Blue Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
hybrid-sniper

Send a message via AIM to hybrid-sniper Send a message via MSN to hybrid-sniper
Quote:
Originally posted by amzng_spyderman
i'm thinking about adding links to reviews on the products. thing is, it'll take a lot of time, and i'm lazy
i wouldnt mind doing that, just give me what to look up and i'd add all the links, if you'd like me to just send me a pm and some specifacations.

I'll keep it short and sweet. Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed. - Montgomery Burns
But it would be just like you to drag your keyboard to a gunfight - Bane

Awake. Arise. Eat. Work. ****. Sleep. Awake. Arise.

Last edited by hybrid-sniper : 01-12-2004 at 09:11 PM.
hybrid-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
ah...open for suggestions...

I already told you mine and you added them, no credit to me

I am back...for a moment
"There have been no new posts in the last 247 days to your subscribed threads."
CEO of Baby Shenanigans Inc
Friends Music, Acoustic/Alternative, very good

Feedback

If you're like Teuf and Hate me Click Here
chibissj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
nole16k
New Nerve Owner

Send a message via AIM to nole16k
Use capitilization ?

[ My Feedback - 2 ]
nole16k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

Send a message via ICQ to chibissj Send a message via AIM to chibissj Send a message via Yahoo to chibissj
annodizing - www.maxannodizing.com
that's a good one.

I am back...for a moment

Feedback

Old 01-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
SaiNt

Send a message via Yahoo to SaiNt
or http://ano-tech.com/ for annodizing.

edit: once my eblade comes i think i might write up a.. installing an eblade, article. maybe.. if i have time main reason is just to show off my cocker

My PBR Feedback
My PBN Feedback
Ebay Feedback
SaiNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:50 AM   #12
cutomcocker1
Official Rastastrator

Send a message via AIM to cutomcocker1
pneumatics:

-good three-ways: shocktech Bomb, Belsales hollowpoint
-good rams: Belsales .44 magnum, KAPP FAT ram, Palmer quick ram
-good lpr: palmer rock or micro rock
-Misc.: QEVs (eclipse QEV's are smaller than others), low pressure chamber (If you mant to run really low pressure)

look at reviews for more info. on each product.
cutomcocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:14 AM   #13
chibissj
Ski Medal Bling

I was thinking about this the other day.

What about feednecks?

I am back...for a moment

Feedback

Old 01-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #14
snipa

Quote:
Originally posted by amzng_spyderman
i'm thinking about adding links to reviews on the products. thing is, it'll take a lot of time, and i'm lazy
OOO! OOO! MEE!
ill be glad ta do it, i got alotta free time. just tell me wat product reviews u want and ill get them....
snipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:41 PM   #15
Goat Master
I love you?

isn't the ram important too? I mean, should it be upgraded? you didn't list it in the suggested order
Goat Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 PM   #16
amzng_spyderman
Legend

as far as importance goes, the ram is down the list a ways. my teammate ripped on his e-blade, but only had the stock ram. kept up pretty well, so, the ram isn't as important as some think.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #17
Goat Master
I love you?

thanks man! Once again you've given quality feedback to the little guy
Goat Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:35 AM   #18
Blue Baller

I notice you still haven't added my sliders...

Trader feedback
Blue Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
vassili17

Send a message via AIM to vassili17
Are tornado valves as efficient as the stock valve?
vassili17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #20
sgt carman
Military Nutcase

sticky this plz
http://www.xucca.com/element/rawr/hatebreed.jpg
sgt carman is offline   Reply With Quote