pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Join pbReview.com  |  Log In  
pbReview.com - Paintball Reviews and Paintball Fields

Search:

Home     |     Paintball Articles     |     Paintball Videos     |     Paintball Gear     |     Paintball Fields     |     Paintball Stores     |     Hot Deals     |     Paintball Forums     |     Chat
Go Back   Paintball Forums > Specific Marker Forums > Smart Parts > Impulse

Old 04-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
Post All About Derlin

-Nowadays, delrin is the shiznit, and if it is made from delrin it must be good. Why is delrin so popular though? Well, to answer that question, we need to understand why metal bolts are so unpopular, at least for impulses.

-When you buy an impulse for instance, one of the first upgrade you should by is a delrin bolt. Why delrin, what is wrong with the metal bolts? Well, the main thing is friction. Since no metal has a perfectly smooth surface, friction is created when the bolt moves (like rubbing to pieces of sand paper together, but on a smaller scale), so that means you have to use some sort of lubricant to let the bolt move smoothly. Also, since the metal doesnít have a perfectly smooth surface, it will not seal properly and will require o-rings to make a complete seal, which will, in turn, create more friction that further slows the bolt down and requires -the use of even more lube.

-So how is delrin better? Well delrin is a type of plastic that is ďself lubricating.Ē Now that statement is a little confusing, because the bolt doesnít lubricate it self or anything, what is does is that the type of plastic delrin is made from doesnít create any friction when it moves against a metal surface so that means you never need to lubricate it *. Also, since delrin has a perfectly smooth surface (actually, on a very small scale it acts like a sponge that can change itís circumference just a tiny tiny bit which enables it to expand/decrease in size to fit the bolt chamber perfectly-you wonít be able to notice this though, itís not like you can squeeze the bolt and it will squish like a sponge or anything like that), no o-rings are needed because the delrin creates a perfect seal (which means no lube, blowback, and friction). Also, since delrin is a type of plastic it is much much lighter than the stock aluminum bolt, and delrin bolts on average weight at least half as much as the stock aluminum bolt, if not one third as much as the stock bolt. That decrease in weight means that the hammer can cycle faster, partially because of the reduced weight and partially that the center of mass now lies over the hammer (which is heavier than the delrin bolt) so it has less resistance when it cycles. The decrease in wieght, on some impulses also mean that you can turn the operating pressure down which means less chopping and more shots per fill. Another plus for delrin is that since it is a softer material than metal, it wonít scratch up the interior of your impulse like the stock metal bolt will. If anything, the bolt will get scratched up, not the interior of the gun (which would you rather have to replace, a new delrin bolt for 30$ or a whole new body for your impulse for at least 300$?).

-Well, is there anything out there that is better than delrin? Yes. How could anything be better than delrin? Well, there are different variations on delrin, but most types of delrin have the ability to absorb water (for the same reason it can form a perfect seal, it kinda soaks the water up like a sponge). If you clean your delrin bolt with water for example, or live in Louisiana in the humid seasons and leave you bolt out of your gun for a while, there is a good chance that the bolt will absorb water, expand in size just a tiny bit and not fit in your gun anymore. No, that isnít a major problem, and in fact, there are no major problems with delrin, just little nit picky ones. Another little down side to delrin though is that is weaker than metal and thus wonít last as long-but like I said before, which would you rather have to replace, a new derlin bolt for 30$ or a whole new body for your impulse for at least 300$? Also, since delrin bolts weigh so much less than the stock aluminum bolts, they have the ability to throw off the internal balance of the impulse, which can result in erratic velocity and your gun acting up just in general (I do not know why this is, I mean, I would think the lighter the better, but this isnít necessarily true). For example, the stock internals of the impulse weigh 1526 grains and just by adding a delrin bolt, your internals will then weight, at most, 1177 grains. Now since, for another reason I cannot explain, all impulses act a little differently from one another, this will be a problem for some, but not for others. If it is a problem you can solve it by buying a brass hammer (which weighs considerable more than the stock aluminum hammer) for 20$.

-So tell me, what material is better than delrin? Well, their isnít one specific type of material that is better, but some companies, like FreeFlow and Bandit Bolts are starting to make bolts out of nylon composite materials (some called nylatron). They have all the benefits of delrin, they weight about the same, yet are stronger and do not absorb water like certain types of derlin. There is no down side to nylatron.

-In conclusion though, I would go with a delrin bolt for your impulses instead of a nylatron bolt though. Delrin bolts are easier to find, cheaper and now come in any color (from wermmods/imperial paintball at least).

-Nylatron>Derlin>Metal

-Hope you all could understand that, pm me if you have any questions.

* You actually shouldnít be lubing your delrin bolt on your impulse because the lube acts like glue and slows the bolt down-not to mention delrin is meant to have a dry surface and only functions best with one.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Here are some comments made by satisfied questioners:
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"I care, Mike....(dramatic pause)....i care..."-Master_Chadwick
"lol wow mike u really are a G...hahhahhahhahhahhaha
what a pimp " -wanabe TOSA
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
toothpastedog, come to Canada right now.-MBPG
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 04-05-2004 at 03:47 PM.
toothpastedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
toothpastedog

Send a message via AIM to toothpastedog Send a message via Yahoo to toothpastedog
One more thing, the best delrin bolt out there right now for impulses, hands down, is the equalizer bolt by new designz. check it out at www.newdesignz.com

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
"im glad to know there are real helpful people in these forums as yourself, i give my thanks." IMPULSE2ME
"You know some much about impys i'm starting to think that u are an impy!"-VwBillabongwV
"Ok, thats it... I cant take it any longer. How do you do it toothpastedog!?!? Do you have the Impulse manual tatooed to your chest..."-SPPaintball
"Holy Crap i just learned alot right there, i feel 30% smarter."-master_chadwick
"That's like asking the Pope if he knows who God is. TPD knows everything, including the meaning of life, which he will not share with us because our simple minds couldn't comprehend it." -nos911
"Yes, Toothpastedog is the official Impulse gangster (tm)" -Mai Thai man (SuperBeaner)
"We dont have to post to do our job, especially with people like TPD around." -wolverine
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 04-05-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
xX[Empire]Xx
Emperial Army

Wink

toothpaste, i love you. another post well done, soldier.
xX[Empire]Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
SPPaintball
Smart Parts

oh my god . . . I think I smell a sticky. Nice work Toothpastedog!

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb98
I would have pimp smacked the kid with my pimp hand...it's too strong for any mortal to withstand...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
which one was the male in that? i'm having trouble grasping the concept. i figure vcr would prolly be the female but then again a tv is more loud and can be annoying so that could...
SPPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Nice work, Chief. Your an asset to PBReview. I wish I could sticky all your posts, but the problem is if we did it'd take up the whole page.

It will certainly get into the Ultimate Sticky.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Ski Bum1080

I still kind of new to the pbreview.com forums, but is toothpastedog a mod yet? He should be a mod if you can make him one. If it's possible to nominate him to be a mod, I nominate him.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
nos911
Killing Machine

Send a message via AIM to nos911
LoL, toothpaste, you officially have a cult.

All hail toohpaste
nos911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
elementsk8r

Send a message via AIM to elementsk8r
you make a lot of easy toothpaste. nice job

stock impulse
blade trigger

soon to come:
rat factory internals
elementsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
Slow_Target

A quick correction. Its delrin not derlin.
A link to duponts description.
http://heritage.dupont.com/floater/f.../floater.shtml

Oh yea, since its made from formaldehyde, if its burned it releases formaldehyde gas. This isn't something that you would want to breathe in.
EQUALIZED Black Impulse #9792, Kapp asa, Dye 71/45, full Freak, JHII, SP Mag trig, NDZ Equalizer bolt, Slik-shot & R.I.P. valve, Check-it Low Rise, Hybrid grips.
Gen-E LCD, Gold Evolve, toxic breach, ccm feed, cp reg & asa
99 Shocker Turbo/SelectFire
Del Hobbies Paintball
Slow_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #10
toothpastedog

thanks for adding slow target, wow, that was dumb, i know it's delrin, appently work (which i typed it up on) changed them all to derlin for some reason. thanks for making the post better.

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting

Last edited by toothpastedog : 04-05-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #11
xX[Empire]Xx
Emperial Army

yes, slow_target brought up the point. when i was reading it said to myself "wait, aint it delrin? not derlin?" then I thought -- IS TOOTHPASTE WRONG FOR ONCE!?!?! but then i realized it was a simple mistake. you see, not even toothpaste is perfect. LOL
Old 04-05-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
toothpastedog

lol, same goes for word

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 04-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #13
Calebd2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Calebd2
Toothpaste, you dont want to be a moderator. See, I use to be a lot like you back in the day. My sig was much like yours even... I got praises all the time... made many helpful threads

Than I became a moderator. Now I don't have as much time to post useful threads and information like you do. Now most of my time is spent sifting thru threads, checking all the reports I get, stickying threads, and get morons banned.

Enjoy yourself while you have no responsibilities.
Calebd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #14
toothpastedog

Exactly, when i joined, it was my goal to become a mod, but now even before reading your post, i have come to the conclusion that i would hate being a mod (although a title like "Impulse Dictionay" wouldn't hurt, lol), i would hate not being able to help people and just spending my time stickying stuff. So thank yall, and thanks calebd2

Mike the G
IQ Paintball
Mystery Gun?
IMPULSE FAQ
Oww Owww Quiting
Old 04-06-2004, 06:11 AM   #15
xX[Empire]Xx
Emperial Army

suck up. lol
Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #16
speedy2k4
is kind of a big deal

Send a message via AIM to speedy2k4
a little trick for those worn nasty looking delrin bolts- drmeml with polishing wheel, but instead of polishing compound, try some dow 33. it will alow you to buff out most any imperfections, marks or tiny scratched sections and restore a slick finish. i have done it to my equalizer bolt and my intimidator bolt, and it has worked wonders in keeping both in top shape. if you have one of the variations in delrin that really likes to expand from grease, don't try it, but every bolt i have done it to has had no problems
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote